Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I didn't listen to the episode but their Twitter implied they don't want to be involved with anything that might support WWE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

thats like item 2.5 of 5 on their list. mostly id say it sounds like theyre too busy to do a show about something they dont really enjoy because the world is ending, and they got into the promotion when it was sabre and lee and dijak and oreilly and ricochet and lio rush and riddle and now its all the guys not good enough for nxt tv

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 31, 2018

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

Is there a podcast or observer article about how he first got access to sources and stuff? I can't imagine that was a fun or easy process

https://soundcloud.com/coltcabana/aow-151-dave-meltzer-1

I listened to it when it first came out but I think he goes over how he got his start in this.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

achillesforever6 posted:

Gabe done killed the only podcast dedicated to Evolve
https://twitter.com/evolvepod/status/1057381243145412608

I thought WWN was paying those guys?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

I thought WWN was paying those guys?

Not enough, apparently.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Gabe done killed the only podcast dedicated to Evolve
https://twitter.com/evolvepod/status/1057381243145412608

Sucks to see them go but all their reasons are completely understandable. Very good final episode

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://twitter.com/heynottheface/status/1057492403559563266?s=21

Dave go on chapo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh my God, the latest Bryan & Vinny (and Craig... and Lance!) recaps an interview where Mean Gene tells Meng to speak English. Meng's response is incredible.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

it turns out most of the money created was because some Italian place was charging people for chicken and not actually putting it on their pasta

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

it turns out people having money to spend on goods and services means there is more money spent on goods and services who would have thought it

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
The start of their next story arch:

https://twitter.com/TheLapsedFan/status/1057732565136797697

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Cornette is right about everything.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Judakel posted:

Cornette is right about everything.

No. He's wildly out of touch but occasionally says something dead on the money.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

No. He's wildly out of touch but occasionally says something dead on the money.
I think it's the opposite. Most of the poo poo he says is dead on and then he'll say something so loving ridiculous that I can't believe it's coming out of the same mouth.

Like when he pines for the days when wrestlers could bully the poo poo out of people and it was all good fun, as if such an era ever existed.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LividLiquid posted:

I think it's the opposite. Most of the poo poo he says is dead on and then he'll say something so loving ridiculous that I can't believe it's coming out of the same mouth.

Like when he pines for the days when wrestlers could bully the poo poo out of people and it was all good fun, as if such an era ever existed.

Or when he rants about Colt Cabana and Chuck Taylor killing the business with comedy wrestling and then fondly remembers Plowboy Frazier, a racist idiot and lovely wrestler who did a lot of comedy stuff.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

Or when he rants about Colt Cabana and Chuck Taylor killing the business with comedy wrestling and then fondly remembers Plowboy Frazier, a racist idiot and lovely wrestler who did a lot of comedy stuff.

Or any of the dumb comedy poo poo Jim did in Memphis and NWA that was somehow okay. Jim's walking double standard whose booking mostly hurt ROH. The stuff he's criticized in hindsight though, he's correct on; his story about his plan to elevate Pillman only to be stymied by the guy in charge at the time (wanna say Herd but not sure) is a good example.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Anytime cornette talks about dumb modern booking remember he booked a mummy in smoky mountain

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Smoking Crow posted:

Anytime cornette talks about dumb modern booking remember he booked a mummy in smoky mountain

Also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZAmgF5VNPA

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Cornette is smart enough that he knows saying stuff like that riles people up and he's made it his gimmick, as shown by him trash talking Omega and The Bucks and then trying to message them privately to make money together. I'm sure he generally dislikes things like Joey Ryan's penis gimmick but it's like all of wrestling where it's turned up to 11.

In this age it's really hard to "Work the internet" without going totally over the line and just being a scumbag so that's just what he does. He's still one of the most honest and reliable guys from almost any era, has a really great memory and tells amazing stories. I've never heard a Cornette story and thought it was bullshit or super embellished.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Jim Cornette is correct about Kenny Omega and The Young Bucks.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Judakel posted:

wrong

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Smoking Crow posted:

If I remember correctly the mummy was only put in because Rick Rubin wanted one.

On the other hand Cowabunga was 100% a Jim Cornette creation. His argument to defend those types of characters is it could just be a guy who’s doing it as a gimmick or it could be a guy who really thinks he’s a mummy or a ninja turtle and as long as he’s not winking at the camera it’s ok. It’s dumb logic and I’m pretty sure he knows it’s dumb because his gimmick is to be cranky about the young bucks

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It was pretty obvious when he talked about All In that he was in gimmickville when it came to him trashing the Young Bucks and co. He very much wanted those guys to succeed and be able to draw without having a weekly TV show on terrestrial channels or being under the promotion of a major company.

He probably did and maybe still does view them as spot monkeys but he clearly has a ton of respect for their accomplishments outside the ring.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Judakel posted:

and Kenny proves it everytime he tweets.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

coconono posted:

and Kenny proves it everytime he tweets.

the dichotomy of Kenny Omega is "Kenny is such a dork, I love him" and "ugh... Kenny is such a dork"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jim's big problem with Kenny is a perceived lack psychology in the ring and doing too many highspots that dont end the match.

That doesn't really apply to Kenny being dumb on Twitter. Honestly, I find it sorta silly Jim feels this way, he's the same guy who mocked people for criticizing the Midnights for the same stuff when he managed them. People used to call Ric Flair a spot monkey too, because he'd use a suplex (considered a highspot when he was moving towards the main event in Mid Atlantic/NWA, it was even Harley Race's finish), and a big running knee drop, which was Brusier Brody's finish, all to set up the Figure 4.

Jim is taking the fact that wrestling has totally passed him by and using it to work. If he really felt that Kenny and the Bucks were ruining the business, he wouldn't have proposed an angle with them. Anybody who buys into what Jim is saying is either stuck in the past or very easily led by strongly worded opinions by people with credibility.

One more thing: Jim has said in the past that, when he gets into an argument, he often says the worst poo poo he can think of to "win". This is what resulted in him calling a security guy who wouldn't let an SMW wrestler in to the arena a friend of the family. So even if he has been critical of Kenny's often awkward behavior, he should probably apply what he expects of Kenny to himself. Maybe the Bucks would have been on board if he had, because Jim said some hosed up stuff about their kids (I think he wished death on them, which is dumb).

I will say that only Meltzer and Stern compare as historians though. And I think his idea to elevate Brian Pillman would have worked.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 1, 2018

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Kenny's sustained high octane style is his what made his program with Okada such a big deal. His actual in ring weakness is ACTING.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

what's this ring boy thing Dave was talking about that was more gross than crown jewel?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

what's this ring boy thing Dave was talking about that was more gross than crown jewel?
Presumably Mel Philips, someone will know more about him than I do but the gist is that he was in charge of young people while it was really well known that he was a paedophile

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Lone Goat posted:

Terry Garvin worked backstage for WWE from 1985-1992 and apparently sexually harassed and/or molested a bunch of young and/or underage "ring boys".

Here's a rundown with a lot of links.

Unmentioned in this article is the running gag in WWF commentary about how various jobbers were referred to as "graduates of the Terry Garvin school of self-defense" by Monsoon and McMahon.

Oh right, Mel Phillips was also around doing creepy poo poo simultaneously. And Pat Patterson was implicated, or at least accused of turning a blind eye to a lot of stuff, though I think Meltzer and others always defend Patterson as getting wrapped up in the rumors because he was gay more than any smoking gun that he was directly involved.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 1, 2018

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

RealFoxy posted:

He's still one of the most honest and reliable guys from almost any era, has a really great memory and tells amazing stories. I've never heard a Cornette story and thought it was bullshit or super embellished.

Agreed - he's a solid wrestling historian and a mostly honest guy, albeit one whose anger management problems trip him up a lot. I just think his tirades against comedy wrestling are stupid because the stuff he gets mad at often falls in line with what he likes about the old days: guys getting over through character work and audience interaction without having to rely on dangerous high spots. That he hates Cabana so much is especially bewildering because Colt can actually wrestle.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

CombineThresher posted:

Agreed - he's a solid wrestling historian and a mostly honest guy, albeit one whose anger management problems trip him up a lot. I just think his tirades against comedy wrestling are stupid because the stuff he gets mad at often falls in line with what he likes about the old days: guys getting over through character work and audience interaction without having to rely on dangerous high spots. That he hates Cabana so much is especially bewildering because Colt can actually wrestle.

He would prefer they get over without comedy that is downright improbable for a real match. He doesn't mind comedy from non-wrestlers like himself or stuff like Mr. Socko.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Cornette is a wonderful source who I consider authoritative about dates, gates, pay, travel and basically anything that isn’t “intrapersonal beefs” or “presenting his aesthetic preferences as objective fact”

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Jim's big problem with Kenny is a perceived lack psychology in the ring and doing too many highspots that dont end the match.

That doesn't really apply to Kenny being dumb on Twitter. Honestly, I find it sorta silly Jim feels this way, he's the same guy who mocked people for criticizing the Midnights for the same stuff when he managed them. People used to call Ric Flair a spot monkey too, because he'd use a suplex (considered a highspot when he was moving towards the main event in Mid Atlantic/NWA, it was even Harley Race's finish), and a big running knee drop, which was Brusier Brody's finish, all to set up the Figure 4.

Jim is taking the fact that wrestling has totally passed him by and using it to work. If he really felt that Kenny and the Bucks were ruining the business, he wouldn't have proposed an angle with them. Anybody who buys into what Jim is saying is either stuck in the past or very easily led by strongly worded opinions by people with credibility.

One more thing: Jim has said in the past that, when he gets into an argument, he often says the worst poo poo he can think of to "win". This is what resulted in him calling a security guy who wouldn't let an SMW wrestler in to the arena a friend of the family. So even if he has been critical of Kenny's often awkward behavior, he should probably apply what he expects of Kenny to himself. Maybe the Bucks would have been on board if he had, because Jim said some hosed up stuff about their kids (I think he wished death on them, which is dumb).

I will say that only Meltzer and Stern compare as historians though. And I think his idea to elevate Brian Pillman would have worked.

I thought Jim's biggest prob with Kenny was he skipped out on an ROH date to work a japan spot(presumably because Kenny was tired of Jim's bullshit).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Cornette knows a lot about what he knows but he has a much narrower breadth of knowledge than many historians. Which is fine, that's not his biggest flaw. The racism is.

Anyway, the new podcast is up and it's a big review of the Nitro book with lots of WCW history for those who enjoy that.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1058154779292123136

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

Which is fine, that's not his biggest flaw. The racism is.

Yeah I used to really enjoy listening to his podcast even if I didn't always agree with him, but the episode where he just went off on a tirade about how Muslims are all evil really, really put me off. Especially weird considering how he has so many liberal opinions (or at least anti-conservative, I guess).

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I used to really enjoy listening to his podcast even if I didn't always agree with him, but the episode where he just went off on a tirade about how Muslims are all evil really, really put me off. Especially weird considering how he has so many liberal opinions (or at least anti-conservative, I guess).

he's a baby boomer, which means he's one missed meal away from a white hood and cross burning.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Jerusalem posted:

The classic Bill Maher liberal

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Jerusalem posted:

cornette is basically a liberal d&d poster from 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Listened to the first part at work. Funny, dark stuff. I liked them talking about how lovely the iron claw was and that story about Fritz putting it on that reporter who then grabbed him by the junk