Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
yarrrrr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZIISfOm3dI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
"yarrrrr", indeed

meanwhile, your noble planetary governess' subjugation of the lesser races continues apace

here's the chart

the year is now 2139

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I told you

I told you Santiago can’t be trusted

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Luigi Thirty posted:

I told you

I told you Santiago can’t be trusted
you can trust that i actually built a combat vessel as indicated in the screenshot, and you can trust that i never agreed to any weird demands like "stay off the oceans lol".

furthermore you can trust that i'm not going to make blanket demands like "stay off the skies" or "stay outta space", and that anyone who tries to make grandiose demands better have the authority to back it up, because they're not my friend. and chances are, they're not your friend, either.

p.s. to reiterate again, this train kills mind worms. unless, i guess, it turns out they're not hostile, but i've not encountered dierdre or anyone else who's captured mind worms yet, so we'll see how that works out.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 31, 2018

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

hmm true

Okay, maybe she can be trusted

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i mean, you can trust me or not, that's your deal. but if you're gonna start some poo poo i'm gonna defend myself and my friends.

btw i know smoka's on probation for a few more days but i did start building that unit before today, and i also asked him to check out the thread when i sent him my save, so i don't want anyone to think i'm doing this behind anyone's back for whatever reason. i have nothing to hide.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i'm having a former construct a road, which i think will keep it occupied until like 2019

i decided that the north base site (between the monolith and the energy north of the crater) would be a better place for a colony right now than the southern site by the falls. reasons include being coastal, wet, having a monolith, and having sea energy, so the colony pod's headed there instead.

i'm workin on the gang tag. i know it's a weird thing to spend too long on but i don't want it to be bad/lame.

Glorgnole fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 1, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Glorgnole posted:

i'm having a former construct a road, which i think will keep it occupied until like 2019

i decided that the north base site (between the monolith and the energy north of the crater) would be a better place for a colony right now than the southern site by the falls. reasons include being coastal, wet, having a monolith, and having sea energy, so the colony pod's headed there instead.

i'm workin on the gang tag. i know it's a weird thing to spend too long on but i don't want it to be bad/lame.
i still think it's real weird how the four of you only take up a fraction of the map, while miriam, zakharov, and me take up the rest of it. will the drones and hive get off their tiny island, or will one of them cannibalize the other? who will be the first to discover zakharov's island?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

anthonypants posted:

i still think it's real weird how the four of you only take up a fraction of the map, while miriam, zakharov, and me take up the rest of it. will the drones and hive get off their tiny island, or will one of them cannibalize the other? who will be the first to discover zakharov's island?

i'm good friends with the drones. we've agreed to work together and not just blow eachother up

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i'm good friends with the drones. we've agreed to work together and not just blow eachother up
i'm lookin at the bar chart again and that doesn't seem right

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

anthonypants posted:

"yarrrrr", indeed

meanwhile, your noble planetary governess' subjugation of the lesser races continues apace

here's the chart

the year is now 2139

Wow, Smoka is a trash pirates player. didnt' even build the first naval vessal, lol.

Glorgnole posted:

I thought you couldn't build a base on xenofungus?

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 1, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Wow, Smoka is a trash pirates player. didnt' even build the first naval vessal, lol.
there's non-combat naval vessels on the planet, and he probably started out with one or two free combat boats, but apparently neither he nor anyone else had the resources to build any until now

"ocean resources exist to be consumed. and consumed they will be, if not by this faction then by some other. by what right do the nautilus pirates seek to deny us our birthright? none i say! let us take what is ours, chew and eat our fill." - colonel corazón santiago

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i think the achievement is for when someone builds the first cruiser-chassis vessel so foils don't count

pirates start with Doctrine: Flexibility and have no prototype penalty for foil units so they hit the oceans first (also they start with a sea colony pod i guess lol)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Nah cruiser tech is far up in the tech tree relatively, that milestone is just for building an armed 2 or 4 vessal, foil's count. I think he just didn't build a an armed foil, and I don't think building a 1/1 foil counts but I may be wrong. It was a mostly tongue-in-cheek comment.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yeah I don’t remember getting that cheevo for building 1/1/4 foils but I also haven’t played a full game in forever

cruisers need B3 and E4 tech so we’re pretty far away if I’m our tech leader and I just got a D2 tech

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 2, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah I don’t remember getting that cheevo for building 1/1/4 foils but I also haven’t played a full game in forever

cruisers need B3 and E4 tech so we’re pretty far away if I’m our tech leader and I just got a D2 tech
yeah, no one's got level 4 tech yet, and if anyone did have level 3 tech it'd be you

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Nah cruiser tech is far up in the tech tree relatively, that milestone is just for building an armed 2 or 4 vessal, foil's count. I think he just didn't build a an armed foil, and I don't think building a 1/1 foil counts but I may be wrong. It was a mostly tongue-in-cheek comment.

lol sounds like pirates being put on notice :P

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Pile Of Garbage posted:

lol sounds like pirates being put on notice :P
maybe i'll bring it around to where glorgnole can take a screenshot of it :^)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Actually, that milestone picture looks like the ship has Impact guns on it, but it isn't dynamically generated is it?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

anthonypants posted:

maybe i'll bring it around to where glorgnole can take a screenshot of it :^)

if it goes like my early naval expeditions always do it'll sail out 7 squares before being eaten by an isle of the deep

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Glorgnole posted:

if it goes like my early naval expeditions always do it'll sail out 7 squares before being eaten by an isle of the deep

For the spartans they don't have to worry too much about this because they start with moral bonus's. When it's this early, only green units have to worry about hatchling Isle's of the deep, of course that doesn't mean it can't happen, it's just much less likely.

And of course two isles of the deep within 5 turns of each other shift the odds way in their favor.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Glorgnole posted:

they will be crushed beneath the boot of the spartan military

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Actually, that milestone picture looks like the ship has Impact guns on it, but it isn't dynamically generated is it?

nah not dynamically generated, it's just a static image. would be cool if it was dynamic...

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pile Of Garbage posted:

nah not dynamically generated, it's just a static image. would be cool if it was dynamic...

Even if they were pre-generated I'd be pretty impressed (you'd only need like 6 images max).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

no, they’re just PCX pictures in the game directory

this is 1998 okay

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

it's kind of annoying that at some stage in the last several years they completely removed PCX support from the native windows photo viewer and from ms paint. i mean sure it's a completely dead format but why bother to remove it

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Pile Of Garbage posted:

it's kind of annoying that at some stage in the last several years they completely removed PCX support from the native windows photo viewer and from ms paint. i mean sure it's a completely dead format but why bother to remove it

Occasionally hilarious bugs in something you aren't looking at anymore.

I'm sure that wasn't the reason but it is A reason.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the war for planet rages on

someone spent some money!

the year is now 2140

and to celebrate making it through 40 turns in one real-world calendar year, here are the three techs that every faction has:
Centauri Ecology (E1)
Biogenetics (D1)
Doctrine: Flexibility (E2)

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

not terribly much new going on here t b h

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Glorgnole posted:

not terribly much new going on here t b h
lmao i changed the map settings to turn on fog of war and base outline, did those settings get passed on to you guys?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

anthonypants posted:

lmao i changed the map settings to turn on fog of war and base outline, did those settings get passed on to you guys?

i thought i might have bumped a hotkey but i think they did get passed on from you. weird!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Glorgnole posted:

i thought i might have bumped a hotkey but i think they did get passed on from you. weird!
i also turned on sea grid, if anyone doesn't like seeing all that junk they can turn it off. i wonder if it's possible to put those settings in the client ini without passing them on in the save

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

SMAC is weird when it comes to game settings as they're all stored in the save file. AFAIK there's no way to set them outside of a game, hence why there's no options/settings button on the main menu. that said i usually turn base grid, sea grid and fog of war on anyway so it's fine by me!

game status: so way back when the game started i chose a very terrible spot for my first base. this has been screwing me for ages now as there aren't enough nutrients so growth is stagnant and stuck at size 2. at the moment i'm building Recycling Tanks but as my base is on the coast i think i should just build a Sea Former so i can plant a Kelp Farm which provides +2 nutrients per square. lol it's funny, if i'd built my base one tile north i'd be in range of a monolith and wouldn't be having this problem.

oh also there's drone riots at my second base IT NEVER ENDS!!!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

staple those drones imo

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Pile Of Garbage posted:

SMAC is weird when it comes to game settings as they're all stored in the save file. AFAIK there's no way to set them outside of a game, hence why there's no options/settings button on the main menu. that said i usually turn base grid, sea grid and fog of war on anyway so it's fine by me!

game status: so way back when the game started i chose a very terrible spot for my first base. this has been screwing me for ages now as there aren't enough nutrients so growth is stagnant and stuck at size 2. at the moment i'm building Recycling Tanks but as my base is on the coast i think i should just build a Sea Former so i can plant a Kelp Farm which provides +2 nutrients per square. lol it's funny, if i'd built my base one tile north i'd be in range of a monolith and wouldn't be having this problem.

oh also there's drone riots at my second base IT NEVER ENDS!!!

don’t get too excited for that kelp farm before you get gene splicing

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Feel free to let the drones riot

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
okay, so this round was the fastest one ever

the year is now 2141

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

anthonypants posted:

okay, so this round was the fastest one ever

the year is now 2141

Nice!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

dealing w/ significant emotional and moral turmoil over exactly what to do going forward, just another symptom of my reluctance to make long-term decisions.

i'm looking forward to being able to socially-engineer the heck out of my society. democratic/planned is a good choice for the gaians since they start out with an efficiency bonus. it works esp. well if you've already built a bunch of little bases to take advantage of the stacking growth modifiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

my bar has stalled because I’m just building base enhancements lol

I need some more mineral output then I can poo poo bases all over my continent