Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I really would have loved the Doctor to have come up with some kind of de-bigulator to solve the problem. Really, it wouldn't have been any dumber that anything we did get (we were laughing all through the spiders' origin story) and they wasn't any interest in actually engaging with the euthanasia concept, so why not? Four was able to whip up a shrink ray right quick, and I'd love to see more of the "look what I made out of spoons" pride Jodie pulls off so well. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Astroman posted:

Actually so far this is a theme isn't it?

Tim Shaw: zapped back to his home planet

Ilin the Race Guy: swans off, no consequences for being a dick

Krasko: sent to the past or something

President Bigly: goes on with his businesses and presidential campaign

It seems a bit much to assume Chibnall is having every single rear end in a top hat get away with it at the end of each episode without setting something up for later in the season.

The problem I have with it is that there is no reason not-Trump should have gotten away with it. He illegally dumped toxic waste in a mine shaft then built a hotel on top of it, which caused megaspiders. Then they just let dude walk away without a single word of protest, shrug their shoulders, and go home. Why would they not tip someone off about what is almost certainly illegal as poo poo? It's not like giant spiders would be terribly shocking or implausible to a country that has been attacked by Daleks and Cybermen multiple times with millions of witnesses.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!
<sigh>

I do really like the new doctor. The companions... a little more "meh". I'm sure the young dude's gun fetish is going to backfire before the season is out. The girl is OK but so far pretty bland. Grandad is quite fine, on the other hand. I'm quite liking him.

As for episodes - I have always, always watched the complete episode of Dr. Who, with (till now) one exception. The 10-zillion part "Sensorites" episode from way back in Doctor #1's original run was just too many episodes of watching paint dry. I think I quit watching that serial at about #6.

Now there are plenty of episodes of both the new who and the original that I can't/won't watch a second time - or at least not all the way through (Time & the Rani, anyone?).

But until this new season I can say I've NEVER fast-forwarded through an episode on the first watching. Until the Rosa Parks one. It was just too poorly paced and way too preachy. I think I spun through most of the middle part (from hiding behind the dumpster until the climax).

At least I watched the whole spider one. It wasn't too bad, but my god Chibnal cannot write a complete story to save his life. It's like he gets to the part called "climax" and then has to go to the bathroom and comes back and forgets what he was doing.

At this moment, I think a lot will hinge on how much he steps back and lets other story writers actually write stories (i.e. doesn't give in to temptation to rewrite everyone's work). If he does that, this season could be pretty good.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

raditts posted:

The problem I have with it is that there is no reason not-Trump should have gotten away with it. He illegally dumped toxic waste in a mine shaft then built a hotel on top of it, which caused megaspiders. Then they just let dude walk away without a single word of protest, shrug their shoulders, and go home. Why would they not tip someone off about what is almost certainly illegal as poo poo? It's not like giant spiders would be terribly shocking or implausible to a country that has been attacked by Daleks and Cybermen multiple times with millions of witnesses.

this is absolutely what would happen in real life just fyi

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, I guess that means you watched all of the Sensorites, because there were only six episodes in that serial.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Jerusalem posted:

I think it's going to be a long time before anything tops,"LOCATION EARTH! LIFEFORMS DETECTED! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwN6vNBttws

Mickey's "That's not Cybermen....." line gets to me everytime.

I liked the Daleks and the Cybermen being catty at each other:

"You would declare war on the Cybermen?"
"THIS IS NOT WAR! THIS IS PEST CONTROL!"

and

"YOU ARE SUPERIOR IN ONLY ONE RESPECT!"
"What is that?"
"YOU ARE BETTER AT DYING!"

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

Run you clever boy and become the doctor, I'm Clara and I'm literally the most important person ever
Clara was best in her debut Asylum of the Daleks. Her personality was brimming with initiative, confidence and verve. When she became a companion she slid into a stock character of reacting.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the Daleks and the Cybermen being catty at each other:

"You would declare war on the Cybermen?"
"THIS IS NOT WAR! THIS IS PEST CONTROL!"

and

"YOU ARE SUPERIOR IN ONLY ONE RESPECT!"
"What is that?"
"YOU ARE BETTER AT DYING!"

"We have five million Cybermen. How many are you?"
"FOUR!"
"You would destroy the Cybermen with four Daleks?"
"WE WOULD DESTROY THE CYBERMEN WITH ONE DALEK!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

sunnyboy posted:

But until this new season I can say I've NEVER fast-forwarded through an episode on the first watching. Until the Rosa Parks one. It was just too poorly paced and way too preachy.

There was more happening in basically any five minute stretch of Rosa than happened in the entirety of some episodes of the original run.

(And, I would argue, if you found it preachy you deserved to be preached at)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Tim Burns Effect posted:

ya'know not every episode of Doctor Who needs to be an episode of Captain Planet.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tim Burns Effect posted:

While I liked the spiders episode, I'm really not in Doctor Who for its similarity to real life.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

docbeard posted:

While I liked the spiders episode, I'm really not in Doctor Who for its similarity to real life.

I mean, you do you, but if you don't want sci-fi to reflect current day issues then you're gonna be pretty choice limited

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

I mean, you do you, but if you don't want sci-fi to reflect current day issues then you're gonna be pretty choice limited

Well, first of all I'm talking about Doctor Who in particular, not science fiction in general. Science fiction is a diverse and broad medium and there's certainly room for all kinds of takes in the world. But I don't think that, ultimately, Doctor Who should be that kind of fatalistic very often. It shouldn't be a show that just settles for "ho hum the bad guy gets away with it in the end because that's how the world works, kiddies, get used to it now".

That being said, I thought this ending more or less worked (though it was certainly the weak point of the episode), particularly if Bigly's being set up as a recurring antagonist (and I've no idea if he is or not).

I think fundamentally the episodes this year (with the possible exception of the first one) have been more about Solving The Problem rather than Defeating The Enemy, and as a focus, I think that works. I can see why it wouldn't work for everyone, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I learned today that the "Daleks In Manhattan" two-parter was originally meant to be written by Moffat but he was busy working on Jekyll (remember Jekyll?) at the time so he offered to write the episode that became "Blink" instead.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tegan!

https://twitter.com/jfmouthonlegs/status/1058240386643062788

Looks like no X-mas special this year.

HOWEVER,

New Year's Special

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news...mpaign=sharebar

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 2, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

:smugdon: "He's a Messiah because he was crucified. I like people who weren't crucified."

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Finding an anti-racism episode done really, really clumsy doesn't make you a racist. It makes you someone who would like anti-racist episodes done better. Seeing something done badly as below par doesn't mean you disagree with the message, but with the implementation.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There was more happening in basically any five minute stretch of Rosa than happened in the entirety of some episodes of the original run.

Hard agree.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

sunnyboy posted:

As for episodes - I have always, always watched the complete episode of Dr. Who, with (till now) one exception. The 10-zillion part "Sensorites" episode from way back in Doctor #1's original run was just too many episodes of watching paint dry. I think I quit watching that serial at about #6.

That was my first story. At least the next week's story was The Dalek Invasion of Earth.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Astroman posted:

Well I take it you're not voting for him then. :colbert:

Voting is very important, people died for America’s right to choose between being eaten by giant spiders, or four more years of Trump.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Decius posted:

Finding an anti-racism episode done really, really clumsy doesn't make you a racist. It makes you someone who would like anti-racist episodes done better. Seeing something done badly as below par doesn't mean you disagree with the message, but with the implementation.

I'm not saying you, or they, are racist - but I am saying that you, and they, are sticking your heads in the sand as to how blunt you need to be to actually get the point across.

Look at Get Out, about as in your face about racism as it's possible to be, and yet:

An Oscar voter posted:

[W]hat bothered me...was that instead of focusing on the fact that this was an entertaining little horror movie that made quite a bit of money, they started trying to suggest it had deeper meaning than it does, and, as far as I’m concerned, they played the race card, and that really turned me off.

(Grabbed from wikipedia).

People have been deported, denied vital medical care, made homeless, made stateless, because of the colour of their skin in the UK under the current government (topically, the person who "took the fall" for one part of this has just been redeemed by a whitewashed inquiry, sixth months to the day on from her resigning), and people were doing everything they could to say that it wasn't actually something that counts as racism.

Blunt is necessary, not a failing.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 2, 2018

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ah Daily Mail readers are responding well to the Xmas special moving to New Years.

https://twitter.com/dmreporter/status/1058326535512428545?s=21

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm not saying you, or they, are racist - but I am saying that you, and they, are sticking your heads in the sand as to how blunt you need to be to actually get the point across.

Look at Get Out, about as in your face about racism as it's possible to be, and yet:

How dare they imply that Get Out, a movie that literally had a scene with a bunch of old white men auctioning off a black man, had anything to do with race.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

hangedman1984 posted:

How dare they imply that Get Out, a movie that literally had a scene with a bunch of old white men auctioning off a black man, had anything to do with race.

These are the same people who claim racism officially ended with MLK’s speech and is over and done with, and should never be mentioned again, and that you’re the real racist for even mentioning it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oliver Cromwell would be an enjoyable historical figure for the TARDIS team to meet.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oliver Cromwell would be an enjoyable historical figure for the TARDIS team to meet.

Given how they approached Churchill I'd be ok with them not going anywhere near Cromwell.

Edit: also, I think they met him in one of the audios, specifically in Ireland, but it's one of the ones I've never heard.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

marktheando posted:

Voting is very important, people died for America’s right to choose between being eaten by giant spiders, or four more years of Trump.

Hey now, are you sure that leaking the Democratic Manifesto for 2020 is a good idea?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I would also enjoy Titus Oates.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Given how they approached Churchill I'd be ok with them not going anywhere near Cromwell.

Edit: also, I think they met him in one of the audios, specifically in Ireland, but it's one of the ones I've never heard.

They did. IIRC it wasn't actually too bad. It was a Seventh/Ace/Hex one (which was a great TARDIS team with a mostly great run of episodes)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Barry Foster posted:

They did. IIRC it wasn't actually too bad. It was a Seventh/Ace/Hex one (which was a great TARDIS team with a mostly great run of episodes)

Ace/Hex was a good combo for Seven. I think The Harvest is still one of my favourite Big Finish stories.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fil5000 posted:

The best way to handle Cromwell would be to have the first half of the episode showing him as the charismatic, heroic leader who liberal histories romanticized, to get the viewer to identify with him, and then in the next quarter, start to erode that, probably by drawing on Marvell's "Horatian Ode" for tone and content, and then in the last quarter pull back the curtain and show the atrocity behind the cult of personality.

HEY BBC I'M AVAILABLE AS A SCRIPT CONSULTANT LETS DO THIS

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

CommonShore posted:

The best way to handle Cromwell would be to have the first half of the episode showing him as the charismatic, heroic leader who liberal histories romanticized, to get the viewer to identify with him, and then in the next quarter, start to erode that, probably by drawing on Marvell's "Horatian Ode" for tone and content, and then in the last quarter pull back the curtain and show the atrocity behind the cult of personality.

Funnily enough that's pretty much how I remember the BF audio going

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CommonShore posted:

That's almost literally what happens in the radio play, except it's entirely set in Ireland.

The Doctor spends the entire story attempting to be absolutely in no way involved with anything that happens while helping to deliver a baby.

It's Simon Guerrier, so it's pretty good.

Seconding the recommendation for the majority of the Ace/Hex run. It falls apart once you get to the end (spectacularly, I'm afraid), but for a while it was one of the most consistently good things BF had done.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Decius posted:

Calling an episode about racism "preachy" is more or less code for "this was too political for me," though. It's a criticism leveled against every piece of media that addresses race, and it's tired and wrong.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Am I a racist for thinking Rosa could’ve had a better way for writing out the villain?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Rosa should have jumped behind the wheel of the bus and run him down.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Also, I realize the TRUE villain of Rosa was racism itself, but you can’t solve that in 50 minutes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edward Mass posted:

Also, I realize the TRUE villain of Rosa was racism itself, but you can’t solve that in 50 minutes.

You can if you run it over with a bus.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Am I a racist for thinking Rosa could’ve had a better way for writing out the villain?

No, but I kind of liked him being zapped back into the stone age, and I liked that it was Ryan who did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
William of Orange would also be good, though Cromwell is more interesting.