Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I guess he *is* his character in Les Mis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I know I'm like a decade late but I'm finally watching Infinity War and how did Gamora not see that coming.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I know I'm like a decade late but I'm finally watching Infinity War and how did Gamora not see that coming.

Not to get deep or project too much of my own childhood baggage but a lot of children who are abused (be it physical or emotional) often think their parents absolutely hate them, while the parents (particularly the emotional abusers and narcissists) genuinely think they love their kids and are trying to do what's best for them etc

So from her perspective Thanos was a giant narcissist who abused her and her sister their entire lives, and as a narcissist he doesn't love anything but himself/his goals, but many narcissists also view their kids as extensions of themselves and love them for that reason.

Or it was bad writing whatever lol

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Koalas Massacre posted:

Not to get deep or project too much of my own childhood baggage but a lot of children who are abused (be it physical or emotional) often think their parents absolutely hate them, while the parents (particularly the emotional abusers and narcissists) genuinely think they love their kids and are trying to do what's best for them etc

So from her perspective Thanos was a giant narcissist who abused her and her sister their entire lives, and as a narcissist he doesn't love anything but himself/his goals, but many narcissists also view their kids as extensions of themselves and love them for that reason.

Or it was bad writing whatever lol

I hated it because it was a magical all powerful macguffin judging Thanos and saying "Yes this is a valid form of love"

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Thanos believes he loves Gamora, so it counts. The Soul Stone isn't capable of making moral judgments. Why would it?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Al Borland Corpse posted:

I hated it because it was a magical all powerful macguffin judging Thanos and saying "Yes this is a valid form of love"

Thank you!! I feel the same drat way. Also "LOVE" is not an excuse for parental abuse.

Spoiled for personal nonsense: I started going back to therapy in July right before my dad commit suicide and when I was talking about growing up with my mom I always said, "Yeah she did/does (x) but she loves me, she is just mentally ill and did her best" to minimize abuse and I still do it sometimes

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Schmidt didn’t say “healthy, wholesome love”. The Soul Stone demands that you sacrifice something important to you. Something you feel an intense attachment to.

This is the same as with Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2. Ego genuinely loved Meredith. His love was stunted and toxic and ultimately subordinate to his own (lol) ego, but it was real.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Al Borland Corpse posted:

I hated it because it's one more piece of the fetish for making villains "complex" and "relateable." Thanos was cooler when he was killing half the universe because he wanted to bone Death rather than because he though mass murder was good, actually.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

If you can figure out how to get general audiences to not scoff at the very concept your villain is presenting while at the same time handle 20+ other characters in two and a half hours then you’re doing something right.

If you think that “wanting to gently caress death” is a concept that can be sold in said movie then I don’t know what you are smoking and/or I’d sure like to see your screenplay.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ashpanash posted:

If you can figure out how to get general audiences to not scoff at the very concept your villain is presenting while at the same time handle 20+ other characters in two and a half hours then you’re doing something right.

If you think that “wanting to gently caress death” is a concept that can be sold in said movie then I don’t know what you are smoking and/or I’d sure like to see your screenplay.

If you make Death actually be Hela as played by Cate Blanchett it becomes incredibly understandable.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

AngryBooch posted:

If you make Death actually be Hela as played by Cate Blanchett it becomes incredibly understandable.

I'm conflicted because I thought Malthusian neoliberal Thanos was a great and tragic character and a beautiful skewering of how power is being misused in the world, but I also might have developed a fetish for being kicked to death by beautiful, imperious, alien women after seeing Thor: Ragnarok, so that would also have been a relatable avenue to explore

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
You can tell me Doomsday or Galactus are better than Thanos or The Vulture, but nah fam. That ain't it.

The entire point of making Thanos the villain is that he is wrong. It's not the film's fault that a vocal crowd of weirdos think mass murder might actually be good and cool.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

SonicRulez posted:

You can tell me Doomsday or Galactus are better than Thanos or The Vulture, but nah fam. That ain't it.

The entire point of making Thanos the villain is that he is wrong. It's not the film's fault that a vocal crowd of weirdos think mass murder might actually be good and cool.

Agree with this. You can have a villain be a complex character and still have evil be a consistent trait. Just look at Magneto as a great example. It speaks more on the people identifying with the villain than the villain itself.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Movie Thanos worked because he's a perfect foil for Tony, who started and has more or less led the MCU so far.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://www.newsarama.com/42578-ewan-mcgregor-cast-as-birds-of-prey-s-big-bad-black-mask-report.html

Predictable villain, unpredictable casting.

I am very intrigued.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Man, him and MEW are inseparable these days, huh.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
What is this freaking obsession people have with making MCU Hela its incarnation of Death as well? It barely would work within the source material Hela and absolutely doesn't work with MCU version Hela.

It feels like some demented version of "This needs to be like the comics I've read or else it isn't good!" except it wouldn't even be like it was in the comics either.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

What is this freaking obsession people have with making MCU Hela its incarnation of Death as well? It barely would work within the source material Hela and absolutely doesn't work with MCU version Hela.

It feels like some demented version of "This needs to be like the comics I've read or else it isn't good!" except it wouldn't even be like it was in the comics either.

She's the goddess of death.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also Hela and Thanos were a couple recently but Death came back.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BrianWilly posted:

They want to gently caress cate blanchett

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

She's the goddess of death.
And she's an Asgardian (ie not an actual divinity in the MCU) who acts like a sexy fun Dr. Doom so, really, about as different from actual Death as you can get and not at all compatible with comics Thanos or MCU Thanos so once again we're back at "This needs to be like the comics I've read or else it isn't good!" without actually thinking about whether it would make any sense at all.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

BrianWilly posted:

It'd be funny because Thanos would be Thor's brother-in-law.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BrianWilly posted:

And she's an Asgardian (ie not an actual divinity in the MCU) who acts like a sexy fun Dr. Doom so, really, about as different from actual Death as you can get and not at all compatible with comics Thanos or MCU Thanos so once again we're back at "This needs to be like the comics I've read or else it isn't good!" without actually thinking about whether it would make any sense at all.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think she already dumped him

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yes thank much for showing thing I literally just read you mentioning just above, every part of my statement still stands

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't care personally but there's middle ground between exactly how the comics did it but Hela is Death, and only the way the movie did it would work.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Hela's personality, powerset, and history were already established in Thor: Ragnarok, so in order for her to function more as an incarnation of Death and that would entice Thanos and not just as any other alien conquerer we'd have to go and rewrite Thor: Ragnarok as well. So basically we're redoing two whole movies just so Thanos can want to gently caress Death 'cuz that's so relatable to you guys or whatever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, literally every other Avengers movie did exactly that to movies before it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I could say literally anything about anything at all and you wouldn't be able to help nitpicking something about it, yes I'm aware.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It hasn't gotten a lot of attention, but Disney has been announcing their plans to have some MCU characters do limited run series on their unnamed streaming service which is coming out in 2019. Reportedly they want to do a Falcon and Winter Soldier series and have hired one of the producers of Empire to make it. There are reports that Elizabeth Olsen and Tom Hiddleston are coming back as Scarlet Witch and Loki for some other possible series as well.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/31/18047270/winter-soldier-falcon-tv-show-disney-streaming-service-marvel-loki-scarlet-witch

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ashpanash posted:

See, a few years ago I would've agreed wholeheartedly, but then Marvel made a concept as out there as Guardians of the Galaxy into a well known multi-film franchise. I saw multiple Groots on Halloween, which still blows my mind.

I know that's kind of a apples-to-oranges comparison, but my point is Marvel's made so much crazy stuff actually work in the MCU that I no longer doubt in their ability to make the silliest ideas translate to film. Plus, why is an audience scoffing at a villain concept bad? I mean, they're villains, they don't traditionally have good motives. I mean I don't know if you've somehow missed the thousands of jokes people have been making online and irl since IW came out about "why doesn't Thanos make twice the resources?", but they're already scoffing at him.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 2, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
They somehow managed to make the villain that they were very poorly alluding to for 10 years into something decent, which was a miracle itself as most MCU villains were completely unremarkable, so I'd say they chose well enough.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Movie Thanos was fine but comic Thanos is one of the greatest villains ever written so it's disappointing they didn't even try to portray him.

Like, for all Fox's problems, they got Magneto pretty right on the first try...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Movie Thanos was fine but comic Thanos is one of the greatest villains ever written so it's disappointing they didn't even try to portray him.

Like, for all Fox's problems, they got Magneto pretty right on the first try...

I think doing Thanos as comic accurate, especially in an Infinity Gauntlet adaptation, would probably not work well for a film. Infinity Gauntlet Thanos is a dude who spends the entire film whining that his crush won't date him and goes so far as to make up a creepy masturbation fantasy to try to make her jealous. He's scary certainly because he's so frigging unhinged but I think that "LADY DEAAAAATH, WHY WON'T YOU DATE ME??" would probably render him too funny to audiences no matter how you tried to sell it, and comic accurate or not, would probably end up reading like some kind of commentary on the MRA-style crowd.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ImpAtom posted:

I think doing Thanos as comic accurate, especially in an Infinity Gauntlet adaptation, would probably not work well for a film. Infinity Gauntlet Thanos is a dude who spends the entire film whining that his crush won't date him and goes so far as to make up a creepy masturbation fantasy to try to make her jealous. He's scary certainly because he's so frigging unhinged but I think that "LADY DEAAAAATH, WHY WON'T YOU DATE ME??" would probably render him too funny to audiences no matter how you tried to sell it, and comic accurate or not, would probably end up reading like some kind of commentary on the MRA-style crowd.
Yeah I prefer the MCU version who thinks he's the good guy and the heroes are just getting in the way.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I mean you don't have to adapt just the infinity gauntlet to do comic-accurate Thanos, he's got a lot going on besides that extended breakdown. He's a total prick, for one thing, which I desperately wanted to see from the movie version. He's always talking poo poo to everyone and takes great delight in being an evil rear end in a top hat. And he's always got that big goofy grin of his.

To me that's more interesting than tragically misguided. But like I said, movie Thanos was fine. He was an effective villain for the story they needed to tell. I just think he could've been more than that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I wouldn't describe MCU Thanos as light on poo poo talking. He's got a speech for nearly every Avenger individually.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh yeah what was going on with Chris Pratt's hair and mustache in that movie, it made him look like the biggest douche in the world.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm pretty sure that's Star Lord's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah I guess he didn't get to show a lot of his non-douche side in the film.

• Locked thread