Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Random question: I bought Octopath digitally. Is there any way for me to let a friend borrow the game without loaning them my entire Switch?

No, or at least, not without doing the whole rigamarole of giving them your account on their switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Barudak posted:

...to those wishing they were still in college and had friends nearby to play it with.

Ouf, that cuts straight to my heart. This is me and I'm glad the spirit stuff seems expansive because I'll be doing a lot of single player. Actually it looks like the events from previous games so hooray! Bring back customized reach the platform and break the target and I'm happy.

My problem with the plant now that I think of it is that it's not really a unique/special character and Mario doesn't need more representation. I'm glad it's as creative as it seems nonetheless.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i am 100% in favour of every minor mario villain becoming a fully-fledged character. we want Monty Mole in smash!!!!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Except Spike. Nobody on earth likes Spike.

Meowsdower
May 25, 2005
Anybody know when D3 is supposed to unlock? 11pm cst aint it that's for sure

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Seems like it might be midnight PST

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Bongo Bill posted:

The cutscene is just there to be dramatic. The plot premise of Smash Bros is that toys have come to life and battle in the world of the imagination, and under such circumstances it's suitable for a story mode to be both completely insane and completely ignorable. Which is what's going on here.

Smash Bros is unlike other fighting games in many important ways. Very little else out there has comparable mechanics (though there have been a handful of clones in recent years). It's got simple controls, and because it's got platformer-like movement and the only way to win is with a ring out, it's much easier to follow, especially at low and medium skill levels. It famously includes items, which are options, enabled by default, for making the experience very chaotic, which minimizes the significance of skill gaps between players. The result is that it can be tuned to be a frenetic low-stakes party game or an intense competitive game depending on the player's desires. That makes it highly accessible for new players, if you were interested in giving it a try.
Thanks! That makes a lot more sense :D

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

psylent posted:

Thanks! That makes a lot more sense :D

What that quote isn't telling you is that the cutscene is from the adventure mode, a single player campaign which--assuming it's anything like the old adventure mode from Brawl--is a simple sidescrolling adventure which is basically a beat-em-up. You fight a lot of small fry enemies, do very simple platforming challenges, and then fight bosses, which might be regular Smash Bros matches, or which might be NPCs from other games, like a big pokemon or a giant robot. It's a fun diversion but not worth getting the whole thing for IMO; the controls are still Smash Bros controls, which really isn't great for sidescrollers.

That said, I love this kind of thing and I am going to eat it up. Also, it's great that this adventure mode has voice acting and I really hope Snake has to listen to Resetti give a long winded speech about nuclear disarmament or something.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Argue posted:

What that quote isn't telling you is that the cutscene is from the adventure mode, a single player campaign which--assuming it's anything like the old adventure mode from Brawl--is a simple sidescrolling adventure which is basically a beat-em-up. You fight a lot of small fry enemies, do very simple platforming challenges, and then fight bosses, which might be regular Smash Bros matches, or which might be NPCs from other games, like a big pokemon or a giant robot. It's a fun diversion but not worth getting the whole thing for IMO; the controls are still Smash Bros controls, which really isn't great for sidescrollers.

That said, I love this kind of thing and I am going to eat it up. Also, it's great that this adventure mode has voice acting and I really hope Snake has to listen to Resetti give a long winded speech about nuclear disarmament or something.

The new adventure mode isn't much like the old adventure mode. No beat'-em-up is in evidence. It's got more in common with event matches.

But yeah, the singleplayer in Smash is fun but it's not what you should buy it for.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

The Black Friday ads are coming out pretty early this year. The Kohl's Black Friday Doorbuster special for a Nintendo Switch is a $329.99 bundle (with free shipping) with the Switch, a Turtle Beach headset, an RDS carrying case, and $90 in Kohl's cash (which has to be spent between 11/24 - 12/5)
There's no way in hell I'd go out shopping on a Thanksgiving, that's for food and family thank you, but I'm juuuuuuust stupid enough to log into their site at 1:00AM the night before. :911: That's a good deal, and $90 will go a long way towards extra money I can budget for buying gifts for family and friends. They also have a few of the more popular games you can get like Mario Kart and Breath of the Wild.

While I'm at it, the Black Friday resource I use the most is the Cheapass Gamers Spreadsheet and might be helpful if you're looking for deals on Switch consoles and/or games too.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Fallom posted:

You're not allowed to come up with your own red text avatars

You least said something funny, nice one.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I gotta admit, switch D3 looks pretty satisfying, and I never did play (or even buy) the Necromancer. Has anything significantly changed in the overall treadmill since about RoS release? I went hardcore for a season or three then switched to path of exile 'round about the time Ancient Legendaries were coming soon, i think.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
So... what're the chances Nintendo asks FromSoftware to make a 'Souls' game for them?

Dark Souls on Switch has made me realize I'd murder for portable Bloodborne, but that's not going to happen, so now I'm hoping for the next best thing.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I thought the most obvious playable fighter to add for the next Smash Bros, aside from the Inklings, would be a character from Arms. Maybe multiple, as costumes, Koopaling-style. It seemed so obvious. Nintendo makes an actual fighting game (of sorts) with wacky characters and colorful outfits, how could they not be planning on putting one of them into Smash? But they're in as assist trophy & spirits only. Honestly, that omission surprises me more than anyone who did get added to the cast.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Robot Hobo posted:

I thought the most obvious playable fighter to add for the next Smash Bros, aside from the Inklings, would be a character from Arms. Maybe multiple, as costumes, Koopaling-style. It seemed so obvious. Nintendo makes an actual fighting game (of sorts) with wacky characters and colorful outfits, how could they not be planning on putting one of them into Smash? But they're in as assist trophy & spirits only. Honestly, that omission surprises me more than anyone who did get added to the cast.

Yeah, I'm honestly surprised Spring-Man wasn't a fighter. Especially as they could've also used Ribbon Girl as an Echo Fighter.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ARMS came out too late, but an ARMS character would've made an ideal DLC fighter. Oh well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bongo Bill posted:

ARMS came out too late, but an ARMS character would've made an ideal DLC fighter. Oh well.

ARMS was an internal Nintendo project, there's a much better chance of the devs being aware of it than XC2.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

ARMS was an internal Nintendo project, there's a much better chance of the devs being aware of it than XC2.

Xc2 is also internal.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bongo Bill posted:

They could always just keep Spring Man as an assist and add Twintelle as the playable rep.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Heads up for :boonie::australia::siren: Ausgoons :siren::australia::boonie:

Gamesmen have Diablo 3 for $55AUD :siren:
EBGames + JBHifi will price match, because Gamesmen are a brick+mortar store.

Failing that Amazon.com.au has it for $62AUD, and is the 2nd cheapest price

Just want to confirm that JBHiFi will honour this deal. You'll need a manager because the price difference is more than 35% :laffo:

After applying a gift card I now have D3 for $5 :hellyeah:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

THE loving MOON posted:

My immediate thought was "ah, that's shadow" even though at that exact moment I knew Shadow didn't have yellow eyes and that the grinch leak was fake afterall.

His personality and look are honestly a sonic buddy though

Shadow Big the Cat

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

How’s Gal Metal?

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Diablo 3 is so loving good. Buttery smooth even in handheld mode with a necromancer.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thunder Bear posted:

So... what're the chances Nintendo asks FromSoftware to make a 'Souls' game for them?.

Zero

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Why is that?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Based on previous sales patterns, Fifa19s as low as its gonna be until next year if you're looking to jump in like I am.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I can't believe I'm actually thinking about getting Diablo 3 again

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Having right stick be a dodge seems like a weird choice. Like they didn't want you to be able to easily do a retreating attack by putting aiming on the right stick, because you couldn't on PC with the mouse, but then they add dodging? I never played the console versions, so it's new and confusing to me. Anyway that aside the hour or so I played of Diablo III Switch was pretty good.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Infinitum posted:

Just want to confirm that JBHiFi will honour this deal. You'll need a manager because the price difference is more than 35% :laffo:

They wouldn't do it for me

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

Probably need to be in NSW for them to be recognized.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

bowmore posted:

They wouldn't do it for me

:rip: Here's a copy of my receipt to prove another JBHiFI store price matched it (And they should get off their arse and price match it for you)

Also helps to have the Gamesmen site up on your phone

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Probably need to be in NSW for them to be recognized.

Nah if it's an Aussie brick and mortar store ANYWHERE in Australia they will price match.
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/General/pricing/

Basically they implemented the policy to stop Amazon.com.au price matching

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 2, 2018

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Policenaut posted:

8BitDo is also releasing a new version of the SN30 Pro this Holiday season called the "SN30 Pro+" which is shaped like a Dualshock (Page 11/14/17 for different color versions).

Oh wow this would actually be perfect, does it work as well as the official controller or are there any quirks I should know about?
Also how is the d-pad on these things?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Lube Enthusiast posted:

How’s Gal Metal?

Curious myself. The game looks fun but it's hard to tell how well it actually plays from videos.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i've been putting off playing a new BOTW save for awhile now, thinking it'll get semi fresh again, but I'm getting increasingly eager to get back into it

it is a severely great game :negative: and there will be no time playing like the first time, but its still fun to run around in

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

MZ posted:

Oh wow this would actually be perfect, does it work as well as the official controller or are there any quirks I should know about?
Their d-pads are great. It's the whole reason to use their controllers. Ideal for shmups and fighters. I just wish they'd make one with 6 face buttons.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MZ posted:

You can't wake the Switch from sleep with 8BitDo's controllers. You'll either have to hit the power button on the console or use another controller to turn it on.

Sometimes the Switch will just refuse to see the controller. It's rare, and fixed by rebooting the console.

The vibration motors aren't HD Rumble and will sometimes misbehave in certain games.

I've read reports that it misbehaves when used in multiplayer games, though I can't confirm that myself.

THAT ALL SAID the dpad is fan-loving-tastic and it's worth working through the things mentioned above to play games like Runner 3 and Shovel Knight with it. It was also fun to play Blossom Tale with a SNES-style controller.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Great good to know, might pick one up when it comes out.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Infinitum posted:

:rip: Here's a copy of my receipt to prove another JBHiFI store price matched it (And they should get off their arse and price match it for you)

Also helps to have the Gamesmen site up on your phone

Nah if it's an Aussie brick and mortar store ANYWHERE in Australia they will price match.
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/General/pricing/

Basically they implemented the policy to stop Amazon.com.au price matching
I just bought it online and paid the $8 postage

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Any Diablo III starter tips for someone who has never played it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

MZ posted:

Any Diablo III starter tips for someone who has never played it?

Kill dudes. Play through the campaign. The story is pretty terrible and after finishing the campaign play the adventure mode. Up the difficulty if you feel too powerful and need a challenge.