Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's easy for Randy to be more funny than Homer because the show doesn't have to revolve around him at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Randy at the Best Buy fake dying with his WoW avatar is top-tier South Park, but it also went up it’s own rear end after Go God Go XII or so and instead of the creators being lazy and cashing in like The Simpsons they became CHUDs who think that trolling people is comedy and being aggressively annoying or rude to people who are different is good and right.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
south park hasn't had a really great episode since 2014, although it's definitely been on a downward slide in recent seasons. simpsons hasn't had a great episode since 1997.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

south park hasn't had a really great episode since 2014, although it's definitely been on a downward slide in recent seasons. simpsons hasn't had a great episode since 1997.

That's not true, the Tweek x Craig episode was more recent than that surely

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

Randy at the Best Buy fake dying with his WoW avatar is top-tier South Park, but it also went up it’s own rear end after Go God Go XII or so and instead of the creators being lazy and cashing in like The Simpsons they became CHUDs who think that trolling people is comedy and being aggressively annoying or rude to people who are different is good and right.

They've always been like that, remember the smoking episode

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
did they ever have vending machines with apples in them like this popular Simpsons scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEimfudOW6U

I've never seen a vending machine like this. It seems like you wouldn't want to put food that could spoil so quickly in a vending machine.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Hey if they can put crabs in vending machines they can put apples

https://youtu.be/IamaUF7cM08

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Don't worry guys, nobody is taking away your precious apples :smug:

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
yeah but Japan's technology far surpasses ours

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

snack eater posted:

did they ever have vending machines with apples in them like this popular Simpsons scene

I've never seen a vending machine like this. It seems like you wouldn't want to put food that could spoil so quickly in a vending machine.

yeah they're the kind with the rotary carousel thing. there's an apple in this picture in the bottom right

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I guess I missed out on so many worldly experiences living in a small town. I've never seen a vending machine like that

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JediTalentAgent posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002%E2%80%9303_United_States_network_television_schedule

Looking at Simpsons and what it was scheduled between in 2002 looks like a mess that year. Hell, skip forward it seems like EVERY year after seems to be the Fox trying to find something to pair with the show on Sundays.

Looks like it was the X-Files ending. They had an absolute unit of a lineup compressed into the lead up to the X-Files, which even in the last few bad years was still a powerhouse.

snack eater posted:

Oh, I've seen them, they're refrigerated and hold items too big for a "snack" type machine. You can get your apples, prepackaged sandwiches, Cup O Noodles, etc out of them. What isn't really well depicted in that is that they're cylindrical, and you spin them. You rotate it around, put your money in push a button and slide the window open, and don't let go before you grab your poo poo or else you're out of your money.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

JediTalentAgent posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002%E2%80%9303_United_States_network_television_schedule

Looking at Simpsons and what it was scheduled between in 2002 looks like a mess that year. Hell, skip forward it seems like EVERY year after seems to be the Fox trying to find something to pair with the show on Sundays.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

What's nuts to me is that It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia shows up in the 2005-2006 Sunday lineup :psyduck:

That's followed up by the 2006-2007 season having 9 different Sunday night lineups

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Iron Crowned posted:

Looks like it was the X-Files ending. They had an absolute unit of a lineup compressed into the lead up to the X-Files, which even in the last few bad years was still a powerhouse.

Oh, I've seen them, they're refrigerated and hold items too big for a "snack" type machine. You can get your apples, prepackaged sandwiches, Cup O Noodles, etc out of them. What isn't really well depicted in that is that they're cylindrical, and you spin them. You rotate it around, put your money in push a button and slide the window open, and don't let go before you grab your poo poo or else you're out of your money.

Anecdotal, but I've usually seen vending machines like that in industrial/blue-collar settings, like factory floors and warehouses. I guess the idea is they're supposed to be "lunch".

Also means it's pretty realistic in the show

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Anyone know where I can find episode reviews from when they first aired? Das Bus came on and I remembered how some people despise that episode and it made me curious about its contemporaneous reception

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
when Das Bus aired the internet said it was the worst episode ever

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

It's really bad

They didn't even come up with a real bullshit ending, they just have Darth Vader come in and be like "oh btw they were saved by Moe"

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Not a Children posted:

It's really bad

They didn't even come up with a real bullshit ending, they just have Darth Vader come in and be like "oh btw they were saved by Moe"

That was really funny though

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Whorelord posted:

That was really funny though

I feel like it was okay/funny because that kind of arbitrary non-sequitur was fresh at the time--but it's also really easy and they ran it into the ground almost immediately.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
it's the same thing about The Principal and the Pauper

it's funny once when you say gently caress you to storytelling rules

"and so they were rescued by, idk Moe"

it's funny once but not when you revert to using cheap tricks every time

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Man some people are hard to please. Das Bus is funny:

-"Young man you need to do some serious boning."
-Bart's report in Lybia and being Lybia in the model UN
-Otto dying while yelling "Zeppelin rules"
-Milhouse tossing off that bamboo cage after the trial ends
-Nelson discovering he can use Milhouse's glasses to start a fire.... by striking them with a rock to get a spark
-the kids all being idiot kids together a la "Lemon of Troy"

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If you go back even further though, internet weirdos were saying episodes in like season 5 and 6 were terrible. Back when you really had to go out of your way to express your opinion online, of course.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Drink-Mix Man posted:

-Nelson discovering he can use Milhouse's glasses to start a fire.... by striking them with a rock to get a spark

In conclusion, Das Bus is a land of contrasts

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah Das Bus is good. Not the most memorable episode ever but there’s plenty of funny stuff in there.

Frog Act posted:

Anyone know where I can find episode reviews from when they first aired? Das Bus came on and I remembered how some people despise that episode and it made me curious about its contemporaneous reception

Here you go, thanks to the wayback machine. Click on the season you want, then an episode, and it’ll show various info about that episode and various user-written reviews. There's some gold buried in there of nerds being mad online:

a Cape Feare review posted:

Scott A. Mankey: I also thought the rake sequence went on waaaay too
long. I thought this whole episode was a little too cartoonish, and
not enough "Simpsonish". Impossible, silly things like all the
props for singing HMS Pinafore (including the playbill), driving
thru the cactus patch, everybody menacing Bart (e.g., Ned Flanders
ala Freddy Krueger), etc., etc. I also thought it was unsubtle
cartoon humor when Sideshow Bob was announcing who he wasn't going
to kill, and when he got stomped on by the parade. I don't want
"Bugs Bunny", I want the Simpsons.

some PTA Disbands reviews posted:

Scott Fujimoto: Good premise here with great potential. Unfortunately,
they skipped sharp social satire in favor of fairly routine gags,
many of which went on too long. And for the sake of a gag, they
turned Lisa into a completely psychotic, obsessive nutcase. Not
believable, not funny, VERY ANNOYING. Grade: F with Lisa, D+
without.

Chris Staves: Aside from a few inspired lines ("That's a paddlin'").
This was one of the weakest shows I've seen in a while. My SO and I
both gave it about a D.

Steve Doyle: Overall, C. I did laugh, but most of the gags were forced
and reaching. This had the appearance and feel of an early Itchy
and Scratchy episode (uh, was it Steamboat Itchy?) The animation
even seemed weak. It was probably assembled from only 65% new
material and we didn't even notice!

Michael Harwell: I'm sorry, I just didn't dig last night's episode.
What was that crawlspace crap? And Snake's lines could have been so
much funnier. And Ralph! Ralph didn't even get to say anything
funny--the potential was great. Oh well. Grade: D+.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Das Bus is firmly in bad Simpsons territory. That people think it’s ok is just a damning indictment of how much further the show fell afterwards.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

marktheando posted:

Das Bus is firmly in bad Simpsons territory. That people think it’s ok is just a damning indictment of how much further the show fell afterwards.

I mean it's Season 9 which is widely considered the first bad season so I don't know about firmly. I am of the opinion that the drop off in season 9 was pretty steep (although 8 is a little a shaky honestly). To me Das Bus has solid joke writing but the premise is ludicrous and the characters are getting tired.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
season 9 was weird. it felt like a season split in 2 between the beginning of the end...but it did have...

`-the city of new york vs homer simpson
-the cartridge family
-Bart Cardny

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

It's weird to think about something that was treasured when I was young is still around but also really lovely. Like the majority of the show has been bad when you think about how small the golden age was compared to the last few decades of crap.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The rake joke in Cape Feare is like 10x too long, anal 90s internet man is correct.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The Simpsons low point discussion thread should not include The PTA Disbands.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

SirPablo posted:

the PTA disbands was season 6

season 9 was the beginning of the end with very few great episodes in it. i mean, they all look great to ANY modern simpsons, but it had some really dumb episodes.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

SirPablo posted:

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

the PTA disbands was season 6

season 9 was the beginning of the end with very few great episodes in it. i mean, they all look great to ANY modern simpsons, but it had some really dumb episodes.

I included The PTA Disbands in my examples of usenet posters reviewing it the day after it aired, complaining about how “bad” the episode was. There was no intention to imply it was bad, actually I was implying it's Very Good.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

skasion posted:

The rake joke in Cape Feare is like 10x too long, anal 90s internet man is correct.

Okay, I can't take this thread seriously anymore

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

skasion posted:

there’s only one anal ‘90s internet man in my book. you all know who I’m talking about

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

I haven't seen anything more than clips or a few half-episodes since like 2006 or 2007, and what I've seen doesn't want to make me come back.

I will also never understand how people think the whole Hardy Boys "I have a raging clue" gag is the most hilarious thing in the world. I swear if someone feels they can reference a penis or boner in some way on the internet they'll just immediately quote that and it will be the most upvoted comment every time.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah Das Bus is good. Not the most memorable episode ever but there’s plenty of funny stuff in there.

Here you go, thanks to the wayback machine. Click on the season you want, then an episode, and it’ll show various info about that episode and various user-written reviews. There's some gold buried in there of nerds being mad online:

The site still exists at a different URL:

https://www.simpsonsarchive.com/episodeguide.html

The old reviews are funny in hindsight but you have to realize at the time the only reference they had were earlier episodes which were consistently good so you couldn't just give every episode an A, if anything it shows just how great the show was back then that a classic episode would be considered a weaker one at that period of time. Also many people grew up watching the more realistic stories and disliked the trend of more wacky stories and characters.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
All of the rap/hip hop episodes are the lowest points.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Plan Z posted:

I haven't seen anything more than clips or a few half-episodes since like 2006 or 2007, and what I've seen doesn't want to make me come back.

I will also never understand how people think the whole Hardy Boys "I have a raging clue" gag is the most hilarious thing in the world. I swear if someone feels they can reference a penis or boner in some way on the internet they'll just immediately quote that and it will be the most upvoted comment every time.

that episode was terrible . there are good south parks here and there , some really forgetful , some god awful (the 3 part Cthulhu one , the loving “sushi vs Chinese restaurant) but some really funny ones (Cream Fraiche , Tegridy farms) South Park is either hit or miss .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The thing is, all of those jokes barely have any connection to the actual plot/A story and could have been done at any point in any episode. Homer's B story is also pretty weak and has nothing to do with the A story at all. It's still good compared to other episodes, but I'd say it's probably bottom 3 of the golden era.

Plan Z posted:

Crippled Summer was the absolute bottom for a long time for South Park, it was such a shift in comedy and tone that I couldn't even finish it despite earlier episodes in season 14 being decent enough. Since then there's been barely any good episodes at all.

fatal oopsie-daisy fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 3, 2018