Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Spangly A posted:

otoh money not taken in tax that sits in a bank account is also destroyed, and it never comes back unless you start having wealth taxes

Not really true unless it's being taken offshore. Domestically they just use it to produce asset bubbles though.

edit: placeholder for cat picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Import taxes are okay in theory but there should probably be some sort of lower limit, because otherwise you end up with absolute pisstakes where you're having to gently caress around with HMRC because you bought a bar of soap from some artisanal hippies in Oregon for $6. There comes a point where the money recouped isn't worth anyone's time or effort.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've just realised that with the Lib Dems collapsing the stage is perfectly set for a ~*new centrist party*~

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1058120809049477121

https://twitter.com/Harryslaststand/status/1058147811085180928

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46067514

"I swear I'm not vicious and evil, guv, I'm just so incredibly useless I couldn't handle running one of the most important offices in the country" :thunkher:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46067514

quote:

Former Home Secretary Amber Rudd was let down by her own officials, an inquiry into the events leading up to her resignation has concluded.

Lmao they officially dropped her in it because she was such a poo poo. I love it.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

loving BBC still blaming the civil servants, she knowingly lied to Parliament about targets that she herself had set

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Gross, Jeremy Hunt's a step down even for a pigfucker

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Ms Adequate posted:

Import taxes are okay in theory but there should probably be some sort of lower limit, because otherwise you end up with absolute pisstakes where you're having to gently caress around with HMRC because you bought a bar of soap from some artisanal hippies in Oregon for $6. There comes a point where the money recouped isn't worth anyone's time or effort.

Such a good idea they’ve already done it :)
There is a lower limit applies on the value of the package.
£135 for customs duty, and £39 / £15 on gifts / non-gifts for import VAT.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think they've stopped checking that unless you use a courier that collects on HMRC's behalf like UPS.

I've had things through were they didn't even bother filling out the customs declaration and it came straight through. Or where they did and it's over £15 and it came straight through.

I imagine the borders might be a bit busy with other things at the moment.

The most ridiculous part when they do collect it is the £8 admin fee on top of the tax owed. So if you import something that's £20 you pay £4 VAT and £8 admin for £12 total, or an effective 60% VAT, whereas if you import something that's £120, you pay £24 VAT + £8 admin for £32 total, or an effective 27% VAT. It's regressive as all poo poo and there should be some way of doing the admin yourself.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I paid $10 to america for it +$16 shipping and the loving post office want £13 for me to come and get it

And the even more annoying thing is that the nice people I bought it off sent me another one for free so I'm gonna have to pay another £13 to go pick that one up as well.

£8 handling fee is fixed price on any package. That leaves £5 VAT on a $10 item which clearly isn’t right at all. Unless there is an insufficient postage charge too. Your “fee to pay” card should say if there is.

After you’ve paid you can reclaim the overpaid tax with a form on the HMRC website. They still post cheques back to you which is quaint. There’s a list of official exchange rates updated monthly you have to use, plus provide the customs declaration from the parcel. And if you’ve got an invoice / receipt to back up the declared value you should put that in too.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 2, 2018

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

there should be some way of doing the admin yourself.
Congrats on collecting £0 tax with that ever

If your package isn’t worth the admin fee to you then just don’t bother would be the semi-official advice

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The move now seems to be towards collecting all necessary taxes as the point of departure, which obviously benefits larger structures at present, like ebay and amazon, but they seem to be more diligent about collecting import duties and doing the admin for a far lower cost than they ever were about paying the taxes that they actually owe.

Probably because it's the seller who has to do all the work and the buyer who has to pay up, rather than them, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

Judoon Platoon
Nov 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/bbcbreaking/status/1058275123713630208?s=21

Cool.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I thought they didn't have the resources to investigate hate crimes

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Borrovan posted:

I thought they didn't have the resources to investigate hate crimes

There's always money in the banana stand to investigate the Left. See: Spy cops.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/oct/15/undercover-police-spies-infiltrated-uk-leftwing-groups-for-decades

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

The move now seems to be towards collecting all necessary taxes as the point of departure, which obviously benefits larger structures at present, like ebay and amazon, but they seem to be more diligent about collecting import duties and doing the admin for a far lower cost than they ever were about paying the taxes that they actually owe.

Probably because it's the seller who has to do all the work and the buyer who has to pay up, rather than them, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

I've definitely been spoiled by ebay/amazon/aliexpress allowing me to buy things for sticker price without having to think about import duties. Was very surprised this week when I ordered some ¥5000 widget for my bike from Japan and got a letter saying I needed to cough up an extra £22 if I wanted to actually receive it.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

So we get the news that banks is under some tepid form of investigation, farage is under suspicion from the fbi and that may told the security services to back off from investigating the whole shebang.

So... yeah. Probably see a bunch more of this again.

I didn't hear the interview so I can't say for sure, but the cop apparently made it clear it was individuals being investigated and not the party but lol like that matters

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I'll have you know there was also a total of 3 right-wing groups in the list of 126 groups infiltrated by police that the Graun published, and a handful more that aren't explicitly leftist, how dare you accuse are brave boys in blue of selective enforcement of the law

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

So in the same week that criminal investigations are launched against Banks and Farage, The police take a sudden interest in a report they received from LBC? yeah totally legit

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

DesperateDan posted:

So we get the news that banks is under some tepid form of investigation, farage is under suspicion from the fbi and that may told the security services to back off from investigating the whole shebang.

So... yeah. Probably see a bunch more of this again.

I didn't hear the interview so I can't say for sure, but the cop apparently made it clear it was individuals being investigated and not the party but lol like that matters

John Humphries was on fine form doing the interview.

"Is it true that you have ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY OFFICERS investigating this?!"

"No, that's absolutely not true at all."

"Well I read that somewhere."

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Borrovan posted:

I'll have you know there was also a total of 3 right-wing groups in the list of 126 groups infiltrated by police that the Graun published, and a handful more that aren't explicitly leftist, how dare you accuse are brave boys in blue of selective enforcement of the law

Oh sorry, my mistake.

I've been thinking something about why the gov hasn't gone full fash (e.g. locking up Corbyn) or full kelptocrat like in the US - because of the upper classes in this country. These Tory shits at the top do things for two reasons as far as I can see it: to get cash, and to get reputation/reknown. If they go proper fash then they'll get snubbed at dinner parties - just like the Mail owner's wife and that whole thing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Julio Cruz posted:

Sounds much more like import duty than any sort of delivery charge, unless the senders wrapped it in lead to protect it for the journey.

Yes as far as I know that is a Customs Charge not the PO. I had the same happen when a nice company in the US sent me a free DVD of software (nearly 1GB) which I had been unable to download over the net because of my lovely connection and my dear old Pa had to pay £20 customs to pick it up for me as I was away when it arrived.

https://twitter.com/melaniekmelvin/status/1058275108798808064

https://twitter.com/theousherwood/status/1058279516538310656

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 2, 2018

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

edit: placeholder for cat picture

It's been 7 hours already I'm not going to wait around forever

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
You can have this instead

13 years old this spring.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/shahmiruk/status/1058296912774860802

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Renaissance Robot posted:

It is, but what do you do with the old blades? Can't throw them away anywhere anymore, and not everyone has a sharps bin at work.

They can be recycled, they're just stainless steel. I just store the old blades in the containers they come in.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

whoops

https://twitter.com/SusieCoen/status/1058295416347860993

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Finance in american politics is so completely hosed that $50m has been spent on a contest for California Superintendent of Public Institution. Pretty sure thats more than was spent on the 2017 general election lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Finance in american politics is so completely hosed that $50m has been spent on a contest for California Superintendent of Public Institution. Pretty sure thats more than was spent on the 2017 general election lol

By quite a large amount, yeah - don't have the figures to hand but I think it was about £12m. The EU ref was £14m.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

That role gets to privatise education so of course rich people are pumping money in

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I can’t imagine the hell that would be our politics if there were no spending limits.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Jose posted:

Guessing on side is a religious arsehole?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Fans posted:

I can’t imagine the hell that would be our politics if there were no spending limits.

A-loving-men, it doesn't bear thinking about.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

notaspy posted:

Guessing on side is a religious arsehole?

This post explains it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872746&pagenumber=4&perpage=40#post489438477

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/ladyhaja/status/1058130676166344705?s=19

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jose posted:

That role gets to privatise education so of course rich people are pumping money in

Suddenly I have this crazy idea that the government should raise funds by Fyre Festivaling rich lobbyists

You thought you were buying your way into the halls of power, but surprise! We're taking your money and spending it on public works. Here's a stale sandwich and some booze. Be thankful we didn't also maroon you on a desert island.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In the age of the internet it should be possible to have a live update of how much each candidate has spent playing all day inside the polling station.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Its truly impressive just how permanently terrible the new york times has always been

https://twitter.com/rosenbergerlm/status/1058024976840835072

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/TheStuffOfMemes/status/1058308529419927558

:scotland: