Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

spb posted:

To be fair that's a pretty big gift.

My only gift is invulnerability, so as you can imagine I'm still working on being harder to beat in my matches....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Think it would be frowned upon if one were to show up to the Foam Fight League and just blast double people?
https://www.reddit.com/r/vegaslocals/comments/9t3k4q/free_foam_sword_fighting_on_saturdays/

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
“My only gift” I wanna slap you but I’m too tired

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

JaySB posted:

Think it would be frowned upon if one were to show up to the Foam Fight League and just blast double people?
https://www.reddit.com/r/vegaslocals/comments/9t3k4q/free_foam_sword_fighting_on_saturdays/

As a former foam dork who used to play that exact game.

1) You'd blast double baddies, but get blasted to the side or shoulder by anyone any good with a foam sword and then you'd be "dead" and have to just stand there like a dork. Mind you they may be dorks, but if they've been doing it for any length of time they'll have a bit less than a foot of extra range on you, and aren't afraid to hit people with it.

2) Unless you're trying to be a prick and just trying to hurt nerds for no reason, in which case you'll blast double one dork regardless of being dead, and then get kicked off the field for being a raging tool, and they'd be right.

3)What is more likely going to happen if you're going in for a blast double would probably more likely get you wanged in the head by the "foam" swords. Now they may be "foam" swords, but really what it is, is 1/2' to 3/4' PVC wrapped in some softcell foam, which is a bit more sturdy then those stupid kid nerf bats the kali kids use. Now you may not think that it's all that bad, but as someone whose done both dork fighting, kali w/ sparring, Boxing, and Muay Thai and have taken unprotected head shots in three of the four of those. Getting wanged in the head by a dork whose been playing that kinda game for a couple of years is on par with slipping into a hook by a competent boxer. You'll get your bell rung and you may want to sit down.

edit: That said if you wanna go try it out, it's a fun game and really closer to rugby than flagfoot ball on the contact scale. Just like with a lot of dork hobbies, you'll have to deal with dorks being dorks so if your park is chill it'll be a fun experience.

edit2:To be clear, the game the guys you linked play is closer to the Armored Combat League or that weird thing in Australia where they armor guys up head to toe and they give them weapons and fight it out than the "LIGHTNING BOLT, LIGHTNING BOLT" trope.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 1, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Also, be aware that there will probably be a ton of 'you're too new at this to hit me' coming from the Elder Dorks. The SCA club I was with in college visited the Belegarth group on campus to see what they were about, and ditched with them a while back in the day, and I got the fun of watching one of their guys take a hit so hard it knocked him over and claim it was light.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Well when you guys put it that way it makes it sound less fun.

I saw a promo video of 1v1 combat and someone had a shield, was basically hoping to shield blast/takedown my way to victory.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Imagine passing someone's guard but you get to use a shield to help you do it..

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

JaySB posted:

Well when you guys put it that way it makes it sound less fun.

I saw a promo video of 1v1 combat and someone had a shield, was basically hoping to shield blast/takedown my way to victory.

Sorry, much like with any sport the most optimal strategies are the more boring ones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pldZ4yKIPtU . The guy in green while I was playing was easily in the top 5-10% of fighters in the USA for this sorta game, and he pretty much spanks dudes by having good foot work and throwing basically two shots. No spinny stuff, no shield bashing, no grappling, very little shield contact.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
That looks so dumb but I also want to try it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Why did that one hit to the shield cause the shield arm to get taken out? There's other shield hits that don't seem to cause that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Wrap shot, it went around the edge of the shield and hit the bicep, and the guy he was fighting just there was honest enough to take it instead of shrugging it off like most of them were.

I'm really not that impressed if that's what the top end of their fighting looks like. Not a one of those guys had the thought to take his swordarm when he extends rather than keep trying for his shield-side shoulder and hip.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 2, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Once I was walking by a park and saw people "fighting" with foam swords. I started talking to them, and challenged one to a duel. I won, with no training in this "sport". Can't say I respect it much.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Half those guys are so out of shape that they kneel and refuse to stand, then try to whip each other with a fake sword. Most of those geniuses also just wildly swung directly at the shield, expecting to somehow magically swing through it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The kneeling is part of the game system. A hit to a leg means they can't stand on it and have to fight from their knees, a hit to an arm means stop using the arm.

Zagazunt
Mar 4, 2018
In Muay Thai for body kicks, are you supposed to keep the lower leg at 90 degrees to the knee, or extend it? I have had a different answer from a few coaches, and watching a few videos, what you do with the hip rotation seems to be the biggest point of emphasis.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Wrap shot, it went around the edge of the shield and hit the bicep, and the guy he was fighting just there was honest enough to take it instead of shrugging it off like most of them were.

I'm really not that impressed if that's what the top end of their fighting looks like. Not a one of those guys had the thought to take his swordarm when he extends rather than keep trying for his shield-side shoulder and hip.

The fighters I could recognize where on the low to mid end, I should have said that. Watch the fight again and you'll notice his arms only barely extending past shield cover anyway, you'd be better taking the momentum away from him and firing off first rather than trying cute stuff like baiting for arms. A reminder that these guys aren't armored, guy in green is decently strong, and their weapons are a bit bigger than 13ozs. Those shots are coming in deceptively fast.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Most of those geniuses also just wildly swung directly at the shield, expecting to somehow magically swing through it.

They're throwing really lazy and bad wrap shots, when thrown well you can snag a shoulder or elbow seemingly through the shield. It's the equivalent of throwing a jab generally to see if the shield placement is good and how the opponent is going to react.

Count Roland posted:

Once I was walking by a park and saw people "fighting" with foam swords. I started talking to them, and challenged one to a duel. I won, with no training in this "sport". Can't say I respect it much.

Imagine if Kendo had like...a twenty year tradition instead of a few hundred, and the only people who played it where athletic to slightly athletic dorks who where generally poor to lower middle class, who where geographically isolated from one another, and liked anime or videogames. You'd have the large majority of "gyms" being filled with white belts teaching white belts and a few gyms here and there filled with black belts that just go and tool everyone else. What I am saying is, your results may vary.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 2, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Zagazunt posted:

In Muay Thai for body kicks, are you supposed to keep the lower leg at 90 degrees to the knee, or extend it? I have had a different answer from a few coaches, and watching a few videos, what you do with the hip rotation seems to be the biggest point of emphasis.

If your opponent isn't moving toward you, you want to time swinging the lower leg straight into the point of contact.

If your opponent likes to move in as you're kicking, you want to leave yourself more room for error. Keeping the lower leg bent if he jams you gives you the option of extending to help separate you two into the striking range you want.

Keeping the lower leg bent when throwing low kicks is imo just a drilling habit so you can modulate the power and push back into your stance without landing as hard.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Man, it's surreal seeing people talk about dorksword fighting in here.

Defenestrategy posted:

Imagine if Kendo had like...a twenty year tradition instead of a few hundred, and the only people who played it where athletic to slightly athletic dorks who where generally poor to lower middle class, who where geographically isolated from one another, and liked anime or videogames. You'd have the large majority of "gyms" being filled with white belts teaching white belts and a few gyms here and there filled with black belts that just go and tool everyone else. What I am saying is, your results may vary.

Expanding on this, there are many different leagues which can be broadly divided into using either "lightest touch" or "sufficient force" standards for what constitutes a valid hit. As you might expect, the different rulesets attract different types of people and encourage different strategies, in much the same way that "kickboxing" includes both TKD and MT.

Nestharken fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 2, 2018

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Zagazunt posted:

Joe Valtellini has your answers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCAqmEBXpZw

Zagazunt
Mar 4, 2018

That was great, thanks. Just when I think I'm getting my head around the mechanics Joe Valtellini says "it starts at the elbows" :stare:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://streamable.com/kn1h2 - av it you fuckin slags!!

Glad to see the Met are taking my letters seriously and have changed approach. I feel safer already.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

PIT maneuvers are worth it with nationalized health care.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Alright, so, a few people at my Judo club (the Sensei included) have been hinting at the fact that there is a grading competition happening in January thats "around my skill level."

On the one hand, it is something I would like to get into eventually. On the other, I really don't think I'm at a level that's worthy of competitions yet, no matter what anyone else may say or think. That, plus I don't think I'm anywhere close in any other area of training; I can only manage 4 pull-ups at most for example.

But with that in mind, what is the best way to go about training for such an oppertunity in the future? Not just the techincal skill, but the strength and endurance as well.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

OscarDiggs posted:

Alright, so, a few people at my Judo club (the Sensei included) have been hinting at the fact that there is a grading competition happening in January thats "around my skill level."

On the one hand, it is something I would like to get into eventually. On the other, I really don't think I'm at a level that's worthy of competitions yet, no matter what anyone else may say or think. That, plus I don't think I'm anywhere close in any other area of training; I can only manage 4 pull-ups at most for example.

But with that in mind, what is the best way to go about training for such an oppertunity in the future? Not just the techincal skill, but the strength and endurance as well.

Asking your sensei is probably a good start. Frankly he has a better awareness of your relative skill than you do.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

OscarDiggs posted:

Definitely ask your coach before putting your self out, but WRT strength and endurance get your self a basic strength program you can do a couple of days a week and start eating cleaner if you can, and either become a small dude if you're a fat body like me or a jacked dude if you're twiggy mc twiggerson. While doing this continue going to as many judo classes as you can, even though its fun sparring is also good exercise.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jamie, pull up that video.
https://i.imgur.com/fgakRrh.mp4
Yeahhhh.. Wow. Look at that fuckin horse, jumping in air, turning, looks back and then fires off that sidekick.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

kimbo305 posted:

Yeahhhh.. Wow. Look at that fuckin horse, jumping in air, turning, looks back and then fires off that sidekick.

Do you ride huntseat?

Nah, Vale Tudo.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wonder how many ribs that broke

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Defenestrategy posted:

Definitely ask your coach before putting your self out, but WRT strength and endurance get your self a basic strength program you can do a couple of days a week and start eating cleaner if you can, and either become a small dude if you're a fat body like me or a jacked dude if you're twiggy mc twiggerson. While doing this continue going to as many judo classes as you can, even though its fun sparring is also good exercise.

Starting Strength is the standard recommendation for this. Even if you don't go with the exact SS routine itself, get the book, 'cause any worthwhile one is going to revolve around the same few lifts that are described in enormous detail in the book itself.

As for pull-ups, just get a pull-up bar at home and do them all the time.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

The speed at which the person flies back looks almost fake. I hope they were wearing armour.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Nestharken posted:

Starting Strength is the standard recommendation for this. Even if you don't go with the exact SS routine itself, get the book, 'cause any worthwhile one is going to revolve around the same few lifts that are described in enormous detail in the book itself.

As for pull-ups, just get a pull-up bar at home and do them all the time.

lemme tell you about the summer before college when I bought starting strength, a pull-up bar and an everquest account...

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Xguard86 posted:

lemme tell you about the summer before college when I bought starting strength, a pull-up bar and an everquest account...

... You did the exercices and got swole as heck?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Odddzy posted:

... You did the exercices and got swole as heck?

Heck yeah he did, lvl 60 Barbarian Rogue represent!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So one of my colleagues is a former cop, from the UK. He was telling a room of other colleagues a story about a blackbelt (he didn't know which discipline but obviously a striking one). He was re-telling this, surely apocryphal, tale of a blackbelt having a card which authorised him as being a BB and being goaded into fighting/defending himself & getting himself arrested. Despite the card, he got fined. Now, this is OBVIOUSLY bullshit but I don't get why someone who can claim to have been involved in the situation (a police office) would lie. Is there any chance this isn't bollocks?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
That is bullshit. His mcdojo may have given him a card in the same way my kid cousin got a paw patrol pack membership card out of a box of cereal, but it won't mean poo poo.

What did the card supposedly authorise? If anything if your trained you are held to a higher standard to not cripple someone you fight with too much because you should be able to restrain the damage you do.

I want to beat up your colleague just for being a dumb rear end and then whip out a laminated card saying "authorised rear end kicker of moped criminals and other such douchebags"

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
It was maybe one of those "I'm friends or have family in the police so if this is a misdemeanour, don't gently caress with me too much or people are going to steal your lunch" type of cards.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
surprised this hasnt been posted here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oNB6tlSZ2A

playlist

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

In the context of martial arts evolution and modern development, it's a somewhat low signal to noise ratio. It's 80% about how the sport grew in response to the world.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I really liked that series, especially when the dude goes all edgy boy WRT George Bush. I think it's a fine documentry if you already know some history of the sport, but don't care to do a super deep dive into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, it took a few tries, but I finally passed my 5h dan (kendo). No belt picture has we don't have those!