Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I need to know the nature of the food spread specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Olde English Bulldogge just sounds like a warm, flat, pisswatery craft beer

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yet more evidence of the damned Sassenach keeping good honest Scots down.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It's been 7 hours already I'm not going to wait around forever

Sorry :shobon:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

all is forgiven :3:

His Divine Shadow posted:

You can have this instead

13 years old this spring.

And this kept me sated until the goods were delivered

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So the new £50 is to have a yet to he determined scientist on it. I'm outraged at this honour going to somebody who did something and not MAGGIE. Does BREXIT not mean BREXIT? I bet whoever they go with NEVER WORE A POPPY. The Bank of ENGLAND are a bunch of EU TRAITORS.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

"I didn't think it would eat my groin!' Cried man who voted for the....

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I need to know the nature of the food spread specifically.

Well it certainly wasn't crunchy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pablo Bluth posted:

So the new £50 is to have a yet to he determined scientist on it. I'm outraged at this honour going to somebody who did something and not MAGGIE. Does BREXIT not mean BREXIT? I bet whoever they go with NEVER WORE A POPPY. The Bank of ENGLAND are a bunch of EU TRAITORS.

Stick ada Lovelace on it then

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

Thatcher invented soft-serve ice cream. Don't rule her out just yet.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Stick Turing (if it has to be a scientist) on the 50 along with some writing saying 'sorry we were such shits to everyone basically since we became a nation state'

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/anthonysbaxter/status/1058316811538702336
https://twitter.com/SimonNeville/status/1058317545655144449

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/IrkthePurists/status/1057701266770534400

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sony? That's unusual. Robbery? Disgruntled employee? Guy who got drunk and rowdy way too early in the day? Terrorist attack going for a big concentration of people and not caring much about who they are?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Someone went in with a machete

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

Someone went in with a machete

Does raise the odds on 'terrorist attack' or 'disgruntled employee', then.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Seeing Jonathan Pie get owned is never old.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Aphex- posted:

Seeing Jonathan Pie get owned is never old.

Yeah I'll admit I liked a few of his videos to start with but as it's gone on I've totally soured on anything from him and he needs to get in the sea.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Which is why RT targeted him to be part of their non-linear warfare shenanigans.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Sony? That's unusual. Robbery? Disgruntled employee? Guy who got drunk and rowdy way too early in the day? Terrorist attack going for a big concentration of people and not caring much about who they are?

disgruntled employee probably

https://twitter.com/metpoliceuk/status/1058321765494149121

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

notaspy posted:

Which is why RT targeted him to be part of their non-linear warfare shenanigans.

Nah i think its because the material comes from the same place as Spiked Online.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Proof that he hates bojo and wants that coveted 'Worst Foreign Secretary' title from him.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pablo Bluth posted:

What about Rosalind Franklin? Is there any reason she's terrible that I don't know about?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Guavanaut posted:

What about Rosalind Franklin? Is there any reason she's terrible that I don't know about?

UHM WE ALREADY HAVE JANE AUSTIN WE DONT NEED ANOTHER WOMAN

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Ratjaculation posted:

UHM WE ALREADY HAVE JANE AUSTIN WE DONT NEED ANOTHER WOMAN

What about maggie

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What about maggie
That's already been done.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Miftan posted:

Stick Turing (if it has to be a scientist) on the 50 along with some writing saying 'sorry we were such shits to everyone basically since we became a nation state'

I'd like to see Fred Sanger on it, but Turing or Lovelace would be pretty drat good too.

Edit: I feel like Franklin and Turing are too iconic in a way. They're pretty much the the go-to examples of "women scientists you really should know". I'd much rather see someone like Dorothy Hodgkins who achieved much better recognition during her lifetime, but has completely dropped out of public awareness, even among the IFLS crowd.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 2, 2018

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Darth Walrus posted:

Thatcher invented soft-serve ice cream. Don't rule her out just yet.

As much as I wish this was true so we could joke about how she stole milk from children twice, it's not. She was working in a lab where other scientists were working on it but didn't have anything to do with it herself.

Ada Lovelace would be a great choice for the £50.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Put Ernest Rutherford on the £50 note

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

A former PM re-entering the Commons and especially wanting a minister job feels like an odd move to me. Blair and Cameron (until now) hosed off entirely, Brown sat as a backbencher for a term but didn't stand in 2015. I don't remember what happened to Major/Thatcher, or anyone prior.

I was thinking idly in the shower this morning, how different would things be if Labour had won a few extra seats, been the largest party in 2010 and we'd got a LibLab coalition instead? Cameron would presumably have followed the convention of defeated leaders stepping down which might have left the Tories without a credible leader again (BoJo lol) but we almost certainly wouldn't have seen Labour move as far to the left as they have in the past few years. Might have averted the UKIP rise based on the government not blaming everything on immigrants (if Brown had the courage to call out bigoted women for what they are) and thus no referendum. Or maybe we'd have just got Full Tory in 2015 and things would be just as poo poo as they are now, maybe worse.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Put Miss Shilling's orifice on it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cameron can't get any good jobs since quitting because he hosed every business over with brexit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

I don't remember what happened to Major/Thatcher, or anyone prior.
Thatcher slithered into the Lords and started working for big tobacco, Major spent a while on the backbenches until resignation.

sebzilla posted:

I was thinking idly in the shower this morning, how different would things be if Labour had won a few extra seats, been the largest party in 2010 and we'd got a LibLab coalition instead? Cameron would presumably have followed the convention of defeated leaders stepping down which might have left the Tories without a credible leader again (BoJo lol) but we almost certainly wouldn't have seen Labour move as far to the left as they have in the past few years. Might have averted the UKIP rise based on the government not blaming everything on immigrants (if Brown had the courage to call out bigoted women for what they are) and thus no referendum. Or maybe we'd have just got Full Tory in 2015 and things would be just as poo poo as they are now, maybe worse.
The press would still be blaming everything on immigrants and the EU, because the alternative would have been blaming everything on the failure of late liberal capitalism.

A center-left government would have been unable to mount a credible alternative to that.

Lib Dem interference might have stopped Brown from banning everything that he couldn't spell, but they'd probably demand some orange bookish changes to the post-crash economy, which would have only wound up the squeezed middle more.

Or maybe they'd have folded on everything for a few cabinet positions in DEFRA and Culture.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao https://twitter.com/KathyBurke/status/1058284969615859712

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Jon Stewart was in an interview the other week talking about the narcissism of journalists and how this makes them easy to manipulate because they take everything personally instead of serving an ideal of good journalism and just lol

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Not terror related, so we know they're white.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Kathy Burke is fantastic and you should all follow her.

Also "BogJob" is such a perfect name for Johnson.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of BoJo, this is a good read on how the diplomatic relationship between the U.K. and Ireland has crumbled.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Thatcher slithered into the Lords and started working for big tobacco, Major spent a while on the backbenches until resignation.

The press would still be blaming everything on immigrants and the EU, because the alternative would have been blaming everything on the failure of late liberal capitalism.

A center-left government would have been unable to mount a credible alternative to that.

Lib Dem interference might have stopped Brown from banning everything that he couldn't spell, but they'd probably demand some orange bookish changes to the post-crash economy, which would have only wound up the squeezed middle more.

Or maybe they'd have folded on everything for a few cabinet positions in DEFRA and Culture.

Labour probably would have fallen to PASOKifcation like cebtral left parties all over Europe, and a Tory victory in 2015 lilely, especially if they go full UKIP in opposition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

It's an OK read, but pretty :rolleyes: when it comes to FG's "missteps". Coveney or Varadkar reiterating their party line (which calls for Irish reunification) is not new information, whether or not the DUP decide to cry about it can't really be helped, and they can't be appeased by anything short of dead Catholics in the street so gently caress em