Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Just looking at the amount of bonito on that makes me gag. That stuff just makes me want to vomit. Sorry not making GBS threads on your food just expressing my opinion. You do you boo boo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

sterster posted:

Just looking at the amount of bonito on that makes me gag. That stuff just makes me want to vomit. Sorry not making GBS threads on your food just expressing my opinion. You do you boo boo

Did you know that you don't have to share every opinion that pops into your head? Weird but true!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
That okonomiyaki looks OK-nomiyaki to me 👌

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

camoseven posted:

Did you know that you don't have to share every opinion that pops into your head? Weird but true!

Yes I do know that but we are on the internet. It's like rule #1 that when you have an opposing view from someone else you have to tell them.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Seared a duck breast and then threw together a blueberry & hoisin sauce over some white rice. Was really good but could have used something green to balance it out, thinking some bok choy next time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Singapore rice noodles with oyster mushrooms and chicken

e: I realize that the top part of the photo looks like stars and the top part of the bolt of the pan looks like the moon.. That is not intentional. It is loving funny though.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 2, 2018

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Tried making pulled pork for the first time in the slow cooker. Used it for tacos. Impressed by how much fat comes off a pork shoulder and how juicy it ends up.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

iajanus posted:

Tried making pulled pork for the first time in the slow cooker. Used it for tacos. Impressed by how much fat comes off a pork shoulder and how juicy it ends up.

Next time separate out some of the fat and reserve, take the meat and drain the liquid out of it with a slotted spoon or something, spread the meat out on a sheet in a thin layer, paint it a little bit with the reserved fat and toss it under the broiler to crisp up and brown the tips. Turn it all over on the pan and repeat.

It goes from being very good like you just did to even better.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

That Works posted:

Next time separate out some of the fat and reserve, take the meat and drain the liquid out of it with a slotted spoon or something, spread the meat out on a sheet in a thin layer, paint it a little bit with the reserved fat and toss it under the broiler to crisp up and brown the tips. Turn it all over on the pan and repeat.

That sounds forking delicious. Will definitely try next time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

iajanus posted:

That sounds forking delicious. Will definitely try next time.

Sweet.

I went through the same progression because someone told me to try it. And, if you're feeling lazier, just doing it like you did also works great and tastes awesome with less effort. I like having the option since I only get to cook 1 day a week usually.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I cook the whole thing on a weekend and don't brown it, then during the week I crisp it in a small nonstick pan to reheat. Best of both worlds!

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

You've just inspired me to purchase a slow cooker. I love the idea of setting this up in the morning, drinking beer out all day, then coming home for some ready-made tacos. Any other good uses for one?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Various soups, chili, pot roast

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Convexed posted:

You've just inspired me to purchase a slow cooker. I love the idea of setting this up in the morning, drinking beer out all day, then coming home for some ready-made tacos. Any other good uses for one?

Google 'midwestern wine mom food blog'

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Similar large lumps of meat from different animals

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Convexed posted:

Aloo gobi also butter chicken, although i don't have the recipe for that handy.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The GWS carnitas recipe uses the slow cooker + broiler method and it’s loving amazing.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Cooks Illustrated has a pretty decent recipe for coq au vin in the slow cooker but it requires browning meat beforehand so it's best as a "set it up the night before, refrigerate overnight, then turn on the slow cooker on your way out the door before work"

Still, coming home to the smell of coq au vin is pretty boss.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

maybe I'm a douchebag but I FAR prefer braised carnitas than slow cooker. I feel slow cooker carnitas has such a mushy texture while braised is just as tender and juicy and has more bite and also crisps up better.

my standard carnitas is recipe is: cube up the pork trimming out the hard fat, season, brown, then throw it in with some herbs/aromatics at 300 degrees for 3-4 hours.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

That Works posted:

in mexico, most taco places will swipe the tortillas on pork fat before heating them up as well...

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

maybe I'm a douchebag but I FAR prefer braised carnitas than slow cooker. I feel slow cooker carnitas has such a mushy texture while braised is just as tender and juicy and has more bite and also crisps up better.

my standard carnitas is recipe is: cube up the pork trimming out the hard fat, season, brown, then throw it in with some herbs/aromatics at 300 degrees for 3-4 hours.

You’re a gigantic douchebag...

No, I think you’re correct. The slow cooker’s appeal is that you can leave it on all day and not set your house on fire.

Given the choice, you’d probably rather do carnitas “the proper way”, but if you can do the prep up front and get pretty good carnitas, then I’m down with that too.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

yung lambic posted:

We make lamb shanks in ours all the time and they're awesome

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lamb shacks and stews are what I do most of the time.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

yung lambic posted:

No, I think you’re correct. The slow cooker’s appeal is that you can leave it on all day and not set your house on fire.

Given the choice, you’d probably rather do carnitas “the proper way”, but if you can do the prep up front and get pretty good carnitas, then I’m down with that too.

I followed the Rick Bayless recipe on a Sunday, pulled it apart, then saved the rendered pork fat.

Weeknights I just had to toss some pork fat in a frying pan until it warmed up, then fry up the pork until it was warmed through and crisp. Even better of both worlds.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

I followed the Rick Bayless recipe on a Sunday, pulled it apart, then saved the rendered pork fat.

Weeknights I just had to toss some pork fat in a frying pan until it warmed up, then fry up the pork until it was warmed through and crisp. Even better of both worlds.

Your link doesn't work, but also how do you save fat? Can you just put it in the fridge? I hear about this all the time, saving bacon fat and stuff, but I don't know how. We pour ours into a glass jar and toss it when it's full which seems like a waste if I can use it for cooking without getting sick.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

camoseven posted:

Your link doesn't work, but also how do you save fat? Can you just put it in the fridge? I hear about this all the time, saving bacon fat and stuff, but I don't know how. We pour ours into a glass jar and toss it when it's full which seems like a waste if I can use it for cooking without getting sick.

I usually strain bacon fat through a fine strainer or coffee filter and keep in the fridge. Easy to scoop out a chunk when cooking some eggs or steak

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

camoseven posted:

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/slow-roasted-pork-carnitas/

You end up with a bunch of fat in the pan. I used a foil pan so I just let it cool to not scalding, drained it into Tupperware by crimping an edge, and tossed it in the fridge. It solidifies into pork lard and you just scoop some out and toss it in the pan.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Dacap posted:

I usually strain bacon fat through a fine strainer or coffee filter and keep in the fridge. Easy to scoop out a chunk when cooking some eggs or steak

Oh yea straining it seems wise. You just keep it in Tupperware or something? How long does it last? I guess that's a hard question since you'd always be adding to it

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I only keep fat if I have a specific plan for it. Like last week I roasted a chicken, and then I hung onto the fat to roast pumpkin seeds in. I'm more likely to make steak and then sauté mushrooms in the same pan than I am to save it for next time I make mushrooms.

Ymmv, there are definitely people who keep jars going forever and use it for everything, but I think that's a pretty good middle path.

Glass doesn't melt from hot fat, and it's a lot easier to wash clean than Tupperware, so a glass jar is a good call.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

yung lambic posted:

I smoke a pork shoulder and catch the drippings with a pan full of citrus, onions, etc. I reduce that liquid and fry the chunks of pork in the jus.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

camoseven posted:

I'm one of those people who saves a lot of rendered fat. Just about any meat has fat, and there's lots of flavor in it, so why waste it? Fat itself is pretty unlikely to make you sick - consider that confit was a method of preserving meat before refrigeration. Just make sure that it's clean, and it'll keep for a long, long time. If you have a lot, like more than you're likely to use in the next 3 months or so, store the excess in the fridge. The only real danger is if the fat goes rancid, which will happen at any temperature, but more slowly at colder temperatures. That's not a health risk, it just tastes bad. Impurities can go bad and affect the flavor, so be careful of that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Do you save fats separately, or do they all mix together? I've saved bacon fats, but not others.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Brawnfire posted:

Do you save fats separately, or do they all mix together? I've saved bacon fats, but not others.

separately, but more like Anne Whateley does - we usually save bacon fat (it comes in handy for most things), chicken fat (schmaltz) is saved for special occasions, pork fat for reheating carnitas.

If you have really good bacon fat, it makes a really good vinaigrette. Heat it up until it's liquid and then use it instead of olive oil in a red wine or balsamic vinaigrette.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Didn't get any pictures because the lighting in my apartment is awful (And I was really hungry) but I made two things for dinner:

1. Tom Ka Rice with mushrooms. As in I made Tom Kha coconut soup and then used it instead of water to cook rice. It was delicious

2. Veggie Tempura. Sweet potatoes, onions and broccoli. The broccoli got the poo poo burnt out of it but the other two came out fantastic.

Tomorrow I'll be making Matty Matheson's P&L burger with some duck fat fries on the side and I'm real excited!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

always save your duck fat.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Alright so you've got this cold jar of fat sitting in your fridge, you make some bacon on the stove and now you've got hot fat you wanna save. Can you just add that to the cold fat without issue?

Also why has this not been covered in any cookbook I've read. A bunch of them have been like "and make sure you save that delicious fat!" but they give no details on how one might do that.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

camoseven posted:

Alright so you've got this cold jar of fat sitting in your fridge, you make some bacon on the stove and now you've got hot fat you wanna save. Can you just add that to the cold fat without issue?

Also why has this not been covered in any cookbook I've read. A bunch of them have been like "and make sure you save that delicious fat!" but they give no details on how one might do that.

Yes, just pour it through a strainer into the jar. Be careful to get as little sediment as possible.

Fat isn't an ingredient that rots per se. It goes bad over the course of months, not weeks, and not in a dangerous way.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I have definitely shattered a mason jar full of hot bacon fat by putting it straight back into the fridge though, so leave it sitting out so the hot fat cools down a bit before you put it back.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

poop dood posted:

I have definitely shattered a mason jar full of hot bacon fat by putting it straight back into the fridge though, so leave it sitting out so the hot fat cools down a bit before you put it back.

Yeah, after blowing up a Pyrex dish once I'm ultra paranoid about doing that again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

camoseven posted:

I pour all my bacon grease into a jar on the counter. I have never refrigerated bacon grease in my life. I wash the container every few years when the sediment builds up on the bottom.

I just make sure that only pure bacon grease goes in. Only fresh hot grease. If it were to get water in it, it would go rancid in a few days. Keeping it pure makes it last forever.

Duck fat goes in the fridge.