Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

PatMarshall posted:

On fees, it varies. I won't bother with a return for less than 3,000.

I see this a lot. I'm out of the Portland Metro area and in downtown, yeah the firms charge an arm and a leg. Out in the burbs a bit and you get "well, my friend's neighbors' uncle's cousin does it out his garage for $50, will you match that?" No, gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
One of the things I hear a lot is, "I shouldn't have let someone I met over Facebook prepare my return!" Haven't heard anyone complaining about goon prepared returns yet.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

sullat posted:

Haven't heard anyone complaining about goon prepared returns yet.

I think there was some drama about furushotakeru, who started the tax advice thread, screwing people over and then disappearing a few years ago.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Droo posted:

I think there was some drama about furushotakeru, who started the tax advice thread, screwing people over and then disappearing a few years ago.

Some pages back (10? 20?) was the Goon complaining about Furu, not sure of the details.

In all honesty, the tax subreddit has a lot of advice (some good, some bad) that is more active than this forum. Also has a taxpros subreddit as well.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Is there a guide for quarterly filing of the 1099-MISC? Never had to do this before.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Woof Blitzer posted:

Is there a guide for quarterly filing of the 1099-MISC? Never had to do this before.
Do you have a regular W2 job also? If your present rate of withholding will either cause you to pay 90% of the taxes you'll owe (including taxes on the 1099-MISC income) or 100% of the taxes you paid last year, you shouldn't need to make a quarterly filing.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Hoodwinker posted:

Do you have a regular W2 job also? If your present rate of withholding will either cause you to pay 90% of the taxes you'll owe (including taxes on the 1099-MISC income) or 100% of the taxes you paid last year, you shouldn't need to make a quarterly filing.

I was W2 until May, then 1099 starting in September. The greater amount would probably be W2 for this year, but next year I’ll only be 1099.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Woof Blitzer posted:

I was W2 until May, then 1099 starting in September. The greater amount would probably be W2 for this year, but next year I’ll only be 1099.
Can you put down some numbers on your W2/1099 earnings this year? It'd be easier to talk through with more specifics. It sounds like it's slightly possible you might not need to do quarterly filing but it really all depends. It's worth figuring that out before you figure out how and when (though if you're 1099 only next year then maybe it's worth doing now).

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Hoodwinker posted:

Can you put down some numbers on your W2/1099 earnings this year? It'd be easier to talk through with more specifics. It sounds like it's slightly possible you might not need to do quarterly filing but it really all depends. It's worth figuring that out before you figure out how and when (though if you're 1099 only next year then maybe it's worth doing now).

Ballpark estimate the W2 is 19,200 plus 7,000 in severance pay (which I am assuming counts as income) and the 1099 will be 6,000. But like I said I will be 1099 only next year so I dunno.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Woof Blitzer posted:

Ballpark estimate the W2 is 19,200 plus 7,000 in severance pay (which I am assuming counts as income) and the 1099 will be 6,000. But like I said I will be 1099 only next year so I dunno.
Last little bit of info: how much do you have withheld for federal income tax so far this year? Your pay stub should have this information.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
I have a really weird tax question - I'm not a US citizen and I've joined an LLC. I'm getting professional tax advice, but would this thread be a good question to ask about my US tax obligations?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Hoodwinker posted:

Last little bit of info: how much do you have withheld for federal income tax so far this year? Your pay stub should have this information.

Found it, around 2300.

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 2, 2018

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

No idea, I don’t have access to that system anymore.

You don't have your paystubs? And not even the last one?

You don't want to her this but you need to: this is basic adulting. You can't let poo poo like that go.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Motronic posted:

You don't have your paystubs? And not even the last one?

You don't want to her this but you need to: this is basic adulting. You can't let poo poo like that go.

Thanks for the tax advice in the tax advice thread: the thread to give advice on taxes.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Woof Blitzer posted:

Found it, around 2300.
$19,200 + $7,000 + $6,000 = $32,200 in taxable income.

Subtract $12,000 for your personal deduction = $20,200, roughly the amount of taxable income you'll have.

The first $19,051 of that will be taxed at 10%, so you'll owe $1,905.10 worth of taxes from that.
The next $1,149 will be taxed at 12%, so you'll owe $137.88 worth of taxes from that.

Add those two things together and you'll owe roughly $2,042.98. Since you've withheld $2,300 so far, even accounting for the additional ~7.65% you would need to withhold from your 1099-MISC income for your other half of FICA taxes (this comes out to $459), you would be over the 90% you would need because ($2,042.98 + $459) * 0.90 = $2,251.78 which is less than the $2,300 you withheld.

This is all napkin math poo poo and you should absolutely make sure all of your numbers are exact before you take my word for it, but my surface level impression is that you're probably good and don't need to make any quarterly payments for this year. Next year you're going to need to figure it out anyway. I'm just some dude on the internet though, so do your own work. I'm just trying to offer you a baseline expectation to compare against. Absolutely either do your own meticulous research or hire a professional if you're at all concerned about it being hosed up.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Hoodwinker posted:

$19,200 + $7,000 + $6,000 = $32,200 in taxable income.

Subtract $12,000 for your personal deduction = $20,200, roughly the amount of taxable income you'll have.

The first $19,051 of that will be taxed at 10%, so you'll owe $1,905.10 worth of taxes from that.
The next $1,149 will be taxed at 12%, so you'll owe $137.88 worth of taxes from that.

Add those two things together and you'll owe roughly $2,042.98. Since you've withheld $2,300 so far, even accounting for the additional ~7.65% you would need to withhold from your 1099-MISC income for your other half of FICA taxes (this comes out to $459), you would be over the 90% you would need because ($2,042.98 + $459) * 0.90 = $2,251.78 which is less than the $2,300 you withheld.

This is all napkin math poo poo and you should absolutely make sure all of your numbers are exact before you take my word for it, but my surface level impression is that you're probably good and don't need to make any quarterly payments for this year. Next year you're going to need to figure it out anyway. I'm just some dude on the internet though, so do your own work. I'm just trying to offer you a baseline expectation to compare against.

I got some help from a friend now who files quarterly but thanks for the info.

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 2, 2018

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Woof Blitzer posted:

Well once next year rolls around what’s the procedure then? From what I have read it’s complete a 1040-ES and submit it on the quarterly due dates. I will probably be doing this for a while so I want to avoid letting a preparer do all the work for me so understand how to do it.
Somebody else will have to answer your questions regarding that. I mostly wanted to help you discern whether or not this was something you potentially needed to handle urgently or not. I would still go over the previous idea with some scrutiny, but my initial instinct is that you're probably fine, though you'll owe a little bit on your return when you file next year.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

Thanks for the tax advice in the tax advice thread: the thread to give advice on taxes.

Sorry if I was too subtle, but the tax advice is: you need to retain your documentation related to taxes or you're hosed when something out of the ordinary happens.

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

CelestialScribe posted:

I have a really weird tax question - I'm not a US citizen and I've joined an LLC. I'm getting professional tax advice, but would this thread be a good question to ask about my US tax obligations?

Going to need more background here. In which country do you have citizenship? Do you ever visit the US on business?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Motronic posted:

Sorry if I was too subtle, but the tax advice is: you need to retain your documentation related to taxes or you're hosed when something out of the ordinary happens.

I thought your advice was straightforward and fair but it's clear OP wasn't in any mood.

"Guess my taxes" doesn't seem like a great question to come in here with no further information, though.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

"Guess my taxes" doesn't seem like a great question to come in here with no further information, though.

Lol that’s every client until you do a full interrogation.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Woof Blitzer posted:

I got some help from a friend now who files quarterly but thanks for the info.

FWIW I just go to the IRS website and submit a payment online, making sure to select the "Estimated Tax" option. I don't think I've ever submitted a 1040-ES but maybe I'm doing it wrong :ohdear:

https://directpay.irs.gov/directpay/payment?execution=e1s1

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

FWIW I just go to the IRS website and submit a payment online, making sure to select the "Estimated Tax" option. I don't think I've ever submitted a 1040-ES but maybe I'm doing it wrong :ohdear:

ya this is The Way just make sure you keep copies of your payment confirmation on PDF or something to tally up when tax time comes around

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

AbbiTheDog posted:

Some pages back (10? 20?) was the Goon complaining about Furu, not sure of the details.
Would be curious to hear what happened. I went back 25 pages or so, searching for his username in every page but couldn't find it.

FWIW, I've been a client of his for a while, he's always done well by me.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

Would be curious to hear what happened. I went back 25 pages or so, searching for his username in every page but couldn't find it.

FWIW, I've been a client of his for a while, he's always done well by me.

Having been in this business 20+ years, you learn one main thing - there's always two sides to a disgruntled client story. Not picking sides, but without going through the list of who did/didn't do what, it's hard to pass judgment. I'm sure if you sat down with the client or Furu and gave them a few beers, you'd eventually get the truth of what happened.

It's why I really am hesitant to solicit clients online and do work that way, it's better to work things out face-to-face and have the occasional client meeting.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Working out how terrible a client is going to be over the phone is hard enough, can't imagine trying to gauge over the internet

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Nothing wrong with doing that, like I tell most of my clients the IRS and state tax agencies are REAL helpful when it comes to the question of "How do I pay you?" so lots of methods work. Do keep records of the payment(s) available though, both for tax prep and also the occasional issue (I have had to walk the IRS through finding payments clients already made before, so proof and especially having a date/time help in those cases).

AbbiTheDog posted:

Having been in this business 20+ years, you learn one main thing - there's always two sides to a disgruntled client story. Not picking sides, but without going through the list of who did/didn't do what, it's hard to pass judgment. I'm sure if you sat down with the client or Furu and gave them a few beers, you'd eventually get the truth of what happened.

It's why I really am hesitant to solicit clients online and do work that way, it's better to work things out face-to-face and have the occasional client meeting.

Speaking as the guy in the offseason who has to bear the brunt of upset clients, yeah that about covers it. Probably the least fun part of my job is dealing with people who got messed up by a mistake on the preparer's end (naturally worst is cases where it's my own mistake, since I'm somewhat socially anxious/easily embarrassed that feels downright soul destroying :blush:).

As for online, I was on one service that "double checked" self done online returns once, and oh dear God what a mess that was. Half of them were "Oh I accidentally added that service which is why I never sent any paperwork, can you take it off?" (naturally I cannot myself...) and the other half were nightmarishly messed up Schedule C returns and the like that are real fun to sort out over long distance correspondence, to put mildly. Too bad I'm suspicious that may be the way of the future once enough automation hits the industry, though the IRS is gonna have a field day with letters during the growing phase given some of the Lovecraftian horrors I've seen self prepared with the current stuff. Then again I'm not sure how well programmers can deal with tax law changes every few years, so may take longer than I'm thinking.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Needs content

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Murderball posted:

Needs content

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAJAHAHAHA!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How does getting married work for a couple where both people are working? As I understand it, our filing status applies to the year we get married. If I got married in October, does that mean that for our taxes in 2018, all of our income for 2018 is going to get summed up, and that effectively one of our entire incomes is going to get taxed at a very high percentage, retroactively?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 24, 2018

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

How does getting married work for a couple where both people are working? As I understand it, our filing status applies to the year we get married. If I got married in October, does that mean that for our taxes in 2018, all of our income for 2018 is going to get summed up, and that effectively one of our entire incomes is going to get taxed at a very high percentage, retroactively?
Yes.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Oh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Oh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
Single withholding is comparatively higher than MFJ withholding, so your withholding will likely already be roughly where it needs to be.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hoodwinker posted:

Single withholding is comparatively higher than MFJ withholding, so your withholding will likely already be roughly where it needs to be.

Hopefully this works out. We're in the marriage penalty situation as it is. Is it possible that we could owe thousands in extra taxes?

Edit: Ah, just used the tax calculator here: http://tpc-marriage-calculator.urban.org

I should just look at "tax as an individual" and compare it to "tax as a married couple," right? Looks like it's a tiny bit higher but not tragic.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 24, 2018

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Hopefully this works out. We're in the marriage penalty situation as it is. Is it possible that we could owe thousands in extra taxes? Any place I could calculate this?
I literally just made a spreadsheet that I shared in the newbie thread that you can use to put in your info and figure out what you need to set your W4s to.

Residency Evil posted:

Edit: Ah, just used the tax calculator here: http://tpc-marriage-calculator.urban.org

I should just look at "tax as an individual" and compare it to "tax as a married couple," right? Looks like it's a tiny bit higher but not tragic.
This thing doesn't take into account things like pay deductions and 401k contributions for reducing your AGI, which will have an impact on the final answer.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 25, 2018

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Are either of you participating in the Marketplace for your insurance? Marriage can really screw up your Advanced Premium Tax Credit if eithrr of you are taking it.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Murderball posted:

Needs content

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
So if my wife makes some money on the side selling her art is it possible to somehow put that into some kind of tax advantaged account? Would it involve setting up an LLC or something like that?

I’m not sure if it matters but she also has a real job as a teacher with a pension and all that.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
If you have self employment income, you can roll a SEP IRA or solo 401(k). This is in addition to the IRA's that are available to everyone. An additional legal entity does not need to be set up. Keep in mind that the IRS ignores single member LLCs, and any income made by an LLC is counted as if the business was a traditional sole proprietorship (unless you elect to be treated as a corporation for tax purposes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Standard Deduction Amounts. The standard deduction amounts will increase to $12,000 for individuals, $18,000 for heads of household, and $24,000 for married couples filing jointly and surviving spouses. For 2018, the additional standard deduction amount for the aged or the blind is $1,300.