Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Sab0921 posted:

So the O'keefe person came in and said can we use a few campaign bucks to buy some food for starving people and they said yes and that's the scandal because the starving people were brown?

you must not watch foxnews 24/7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
My little brother text me today saying that our late 50s, always voted Republican dad voted for Beto today. My brother also got a mid 60s regular at his bar, that had never voted in his life, to cast one for Beto. Proud of him :unsmith:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/tbonier/status/1058173446318948352

:stare:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Zochness posted:

My little brother text me today saying that our late 50s, always voted Republican dad voted for Beto today. My brother also got a mid 60s regular at his bar, that had never voted in his life, to cast one for Beto. Proud of him :unsmith:

Proud of you both

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jesus

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

This is well beyond the rosiest of turnout models. Especially since under 30 is +25-30+ Democratic.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Hahaha, holy poo poo, I know the chick in the anime costume. True story: she dresses like that every day, for every occasion.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Census estimates 12% of Texas is over 65. Wonder what the under 30 percentage looks like

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Uh...Holy poo poo! :stare:

Hope is a lie! Hope is a lie! Do not get your hopes up! Hope is a lie! Don't jinx it! Hope is a lie!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
turner seems like hes having a good time, cant fault that

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Alkydere posted:

Hope is a lie! Hope is a lie! Do not get your hopes up! Hope is a lie! Don't jinx it! Hope is a lie!

:hf:

i always vote at the blackest voting place in my town and there was a line there at 4pm on a Tuesday

not all that long a line, to be sure, but a line nonetheless

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Sir Tonk posted:

turner seems like hes having a good time, cant fault that

yeah I know nothing about the guy but hi5 electing an anime mayor, houston

Alkydere posted:

Hope is the mind killer.

e: ngl despite my constant "there will be no blue wave" that I've been posting forever, I'd happy if the dems just wiped out the "We need to sic the army on the migrant caravan" crew

e2: trump had a presser today and said the army would fire on the migrants, if you haven't heard today's hellworld news

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 2, 2018

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

wut's that compare to 2016 though?

I mean presidential level turnout gives you R+9 so you can't just cmpare this to 2014, you need to compare this to '16 at least

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Typo posted:

wut's that compare to 2016 though?

I mean presidential level turnout gives you R+9 so you can't just cmpare this to 2014, you need to compare this to '16 at least

I feel like all the people comparing to 2014 are just doing so out of wishful thinking. I get the logic, and comparing midterms to midterms makes sense on it's face. But it just seems like people are doing it because it's the only way to have any hope. Because if the republican base really is as riled up as they were, and the dem turnout really is depressed as it was in 2016 then we're just looking at another loving GOP blowout.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Either way I can't wait to hear my family talk about the god drat loving caravan over the holidays. Gonna be great~

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Marxalot posted:

Either way I can't wait to hear my family talk about the god drat loving caravan over the holidays. Gonna be great~

Gonna be awkward when all those caravan people are outside your windows looking at your delicious holiday dinner. :(

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Marxalot posted:

I feel like all the people comparing to 2014 are just doing so out of wishful thinking. I get the logic, and comparing midterms to midterms makes sense on it's face. But it just seems like people are doing it because it's the only way to have any hope. Because if the republican base really is as riled up as they were, and the dem turnout really is depressed as it was in 2016 then we're just looking at another loving GOP blowout.

dem turnout isn't depressed for a midterm, it's just that even presidential level turnouts doesn't get you do D > 0

Texas at the moment is still pretty red so defaults to incumbent GOP win

so you better hope BETO is really, really loving special

Typo fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 2, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the caravan doesn't go far enough imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwC416Dv_54

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
the last couple of polls is pretty close though

cook now rates both texas and NJ as tossups (though 538 and every other predictions website has texas/nj likely red/blue)

so lol if beto wins but is offset by menendez is nj

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Typo posted:

cook now rates both texas and NJ as tossups (though 538 and every other predictions website has texas/nj likely red/blue)

no matter what happens i'm gonna get drunk as gently caress

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Typo posted:

Cook sure seems to be pulling poo poo out of thin air based on gut feelings. Has there been a poll within 5 in NJ ever? But they still say it's a tossup?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Typo posted:

These races aren't 100% in lock step, but they're not independent either. If the blue wave crests high enough to put Beto over the top there's no way Menedez is going to lose.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Larry Sabato or bust

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Typo posted:

While it would suck to lose a senate seat in loving NJ of all places, jettisoning menendez will ultimately be a good thing.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

All hope abandon ye who enter here: Beto loses by a larger margin than expected, Republicans maintain control of all major branches, we get HD footage of the military mowing down migrants after mistaking a soccer ball for an IED

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

Democratic Pirate posted:

All hope abandon ye who enter here: Beto loses by a larger margin than expected, Republicans maintain control of all major branches, we get HD footage of the military mowing down migrants after mistaking a soccer ball for an IED

I did just have two friends vote Beto in their first midterms ever, so I needed this post.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Cook sure seems to be pulling poo poo out of thin air based on gut feelings. Has there been a poll within 5 in NJ ever? But they still say it's a tossup?

Cook's model includes a bunch of non-poll stuff

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Cook's model includes a bunch of non-poll stuff

I know in theory the fact that Menedez is a huge crook is a relevant data point, but it doesn't seem to have impacted his race enough to put the seat in jeopardy.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I’m pretty sure one of the raters just says that anything polling within 5 points is a tossup.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

I’m pretty sure one of the raters just says that anything polling within 5 points is a tossup.

I mean, that's fine, that might be a valid way to go. The last 5 polls of the race are Menedez +8, +5.3, +5, +7 and +10.7 though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well we'll know in a couple of days.

Dunno if it'll matter for poo poo but I voted a straight D slate but left Governor empty. Maybe if enough people do that the Texas Democratic party will learn tha- ahahahhahahah

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 2, 2018

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

I'm betting on 12-15% advantage for Cruz when the smoke clears. I've been down this road before.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

straight D slate but left Governor empty

as tempting as this was, and as meaningless as it was to not do this I still voted for Lupe just because holy poo poo gently caress Greg Abbott, basically anything to make him look less appealing would be A-OK in my book

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Please fill it in for Lupe. It determines the entire election process for the next 4 years. Copy/paste from the local Democratic Party e-mail:

quote:

There will be 94 polling locations on 11/6/18. 86 locations are controlled by a Republican Judge who hires between 4 and 6 Republican clerks. We will have a Democratic Alternate Judge at each location in a sea of Republicans. We get to do the same thing at our 8 polling locations (5 in Denton, 1 in Lewisville and 2 in Dallas).

What determines if a Precinct is R or D? The number of votes for the Governor in the last election (2016 in this case). I hope that everyone votes a straight Democratic ticket so that we can get control of more voting locations in 2020.

So if you want a non-Republican person controlling the place you vote, put in a ballot for Lupe. It matters!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/gtryan/status/1058210496967532544

Interesting here is that pretty much every LV screen includes past voting history. If this surge is indeed happening in other states, and happens on election day, then that's a lot of voters excluded by LV polls.

Kunabomber posted:

Please fill it in for Lupe. It determines the entire election process for the next 4 years. Copy/paste from the local Democratic Party e-mail:

So if you want a non-Republican person controlling the place you vote, put in a ballot for Lupe. It matters!

I don't give a poo poo I'm done with strategic voting for bad candidates or lesser evils

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

turnip kid posted:

I'm betting on 12-15% advantage for Cruz when the smoke clears. I've been down this road before.

Beto wins by 10, Lupe Valdez rides into the governorship on his coattails, Ken Paxton is dragged out of office screaming by Texas Rangers on those securities fraud charges.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

lol

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1058363039047733249

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Congressman O'Rourke, did your campaign illegally *checks pad* send money to honduras to start a migrant caravan to march thousands of miles to arrive several weeks after the election if at all in order to ??????

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/gtryan/status/1058210496967532544

Interesting here is that pretty much every LV screen includes past voting history. If this surge is indeed happening in other states, and happens on election day, then that's a lot of voters excluded by LV polls.

I don't give a poo poo I'm done with strategic voting for bad candidates or lesser evils

Yeah, you're right, it's not like election judges of a particular party are known to turn people away for bullshit reasons or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

"did?"

This doesn't even make sense, Ted