Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Wow this ability is pretty powerful and complicated, at least on my first readthrough of it. There must be some crazy plan Togashi has for the storyline to introduce such a nen power.

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
It is seriously just King Crimson, right down to everyone else just doing what they were going to do anyhow and him being able to do what he wants differently. What's interesting is if he still has King Crimson's weakness: relying on forecasts/foretellings when you don't fully understand what you're seeing. The trap of thinking you have perfect information when you do not is scary. Foretelling also means nothing if there's nothing in the time period you can do to stop something

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

It's pretty ironic that Theta wasn't lying: mastering zetsu is key to master nen, at least if you are Tse!!

Much like Neon developing her ability out of a desire to emulate Ms. Cleo. I think Theta has unintentionally fostered that condition for this ability, although the shenanigans afterwards were something nobody could have predicted.

alkanphel posted:

Wow this ability is pretty powerful and complicated, at least on my first readthrough of it. There must be some crazy plan Togashi has for the storyline to introduce such a nen power.
Well, he gets an instant view into the first 10 seconds of the future with his ability after entering zetsu and closing his eyes. So that alone is good for combat situations. He also leaves an "echo" when he does this so his opponent will most likely miss a targetted attack, although AOE will still carry the risk of loving Tser. He then can keep his ability active to see further into the future, and also move his body although he needs to keep his eyes closed to maintain his "echo" it seems. Then when he releases Zetsu entirely everything merges after the timelines have synced.

He's right, he needs to get into combat scenarios as soon as he's got zetsu mastered so he can start to experiment with the limits of his echoes. Diavalo would be proud.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

llol what the fuuck

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Also, how the motherfucker can have no idea of why Theta would betray him. Totally oblivious to his amorality?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Turin Turambar posted:

Also, how the motherfucker can have no idea of why Theta would betray him. Totally oblivious to his amorality?

Well, it's a common trait with sociopaths, yeah.

Also hahaha goddamn Togashi

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Pretty much the only thing that could beat this power would be an attack he can’t dodge, like an explosion. But yeah Kurapika’s hosed unless he has something like that saved in his steal chain and knows to use it.

Also yeah it’s basica King Crimson with a longer prediction time and without erasing people’s memory of the predicted time.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Think the power is from his nen beast he conjured? Or is that a separate ability?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He's got to get into zetsu, close his eyes and start seeing stuff before anyone reacts to him in order to be unbeatable

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Being in zetsu makes you incredibly vulnerable to all types of nen so that's a problem

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Tonfa posted:

Being in zetsu makes you incredibly vulnerable to all types of nen so that's a problem

That's probably the tradeoff to this powerful ability, so the most important thing is not to let anyone find how this activation requirement, which I imagine will be the key to defeating him later in the arc.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He'll die after the ship rocks and it takes the heavy object 11 seconds to hit him in the head

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Jose posted:

He's got to get into zetsu, close his eyes and start seeing stuff before anyone reacts to him in order to be unbeatable

The trick is to staple his eyelids open so he can't use his ability

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Its really bad for combat, but really good for being a prince-dick

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

If he gets good at zetsu, jumping back to create space between him and his opponent, and closing the eyes/doing zetsu in 0.2 seconds, could be a valuable tactic to win the upper hand in the fight.

That said, I think the opponent will guess very soon that strange behavior of doing zetsu for a bit in the middle fo combat without any good reason is pretty weird, and it only could be explained as a condition for his hatsu, so he would know a) when he is going to be using his hatsu, as the tell is clear, and b) a way to counter it would be to rush in close combat from a blind angle to not give him time to do it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hunter X Hunter: [ THIS IS HOW KING CRIMSON WORKS ]

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Hunter X Hunter: [ THIS IS HOW KING CRIMSON WORKS ]

^^^

In a way it's so appropriate because it also is a general reference to HxH style of explaining everything in great detail, over other mangas's style of glossing over.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Also yeah it’s basica King Crimson with a longer prediction time and without erasing people’s memory of the predicted time.

Actually it's the same prediction time. The difference is that King Crimson's forecasts can be checked freely

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

If he gets good at zetsu, jumping back to create space between him and his opponent, and closing the eyes/doing zetsu in 0.2 seconds, could be a valuable tactic to win the upper hand in the fight.

That said, I think the opponent will guess very soon that strange behavior of doing zetsu for a bit in the middle fo combat without any good reason is pretty weird, and it only could be explained as a condition for his hatsu, so he would know a) when he is going to be using his hatsu, as the tell is clear, and b) a way to counter it would be to rush in close combat from a blind angle to not give him time to do it.

a guy/gal with above average nen just throwing aura all over a room would gently caress him up if he's in zetsu.
nevermind attacks that activate with obscure restrictions

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

a guy/gal with above average nen just throwing aura all over a room would gently caress him up if he's in zetsu.

Or ones with delayed consequences.

One interesting thing is what the consequences are if he kills someone that was originally doing something in his forecast period. Would they keep going as though they didn't die until the forecasted period ends or what?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Xelkelvos posted:

Or ones with delayed consequences.

One interesting thing is what the consequences are if he kills someone that was originally doing something in his forecast period. Would they keep going as though they didn't die until the forecasted period ends or what?

That would be very disturbing.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

Not particularly. He gets a near instantaneous look at the first 10 seconds of the future upon activation. This also creates his "echo" automatically. So even with .002 or whatever fraction he's operation on, once he gets used to jumping into zetsu he can continually monitor the future and react to his opponents immediate actions. Not only that but unless his opponent knows his power, they won't suspect anything is different with Tser until he suddenly appears behind them like he did with Theta. By that time he can have positioned himself to damage you with his own offense.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Franklin would just spray a room with bullets and get the kill

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wild Horses posted:

Franklin would just spray a room with bullets and get the kill

That's the thing he would have thought he already got the kill. Cause he would be firing at a Tserried that is not there.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

A wide emission area attack would be good, even if the attack itself was weak, as once you get one hit, the damage would make harder to enter in zetsu (it doesn't seem as something a wounded person can do, too much focus needed).

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
this is going to result in a situation where tse sees his own death and is forced to live it out

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i forget, do the hunters know about Tserriednich's proclivities?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Relin posted:

i forget, do the hunters know about Tserriednich's proclivities?

I think they know he is a body parts collector, but not that he is a serial killer.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Keep in mind that Tser isn't Netero tier in terms of physical stats and speed.
So while a 10+ second echo of himself is great, he still has limits to how well he can react to something about to happen to him even with foresight. Likewise his visual range seems pretty narrow, so he could still be taken out by not seeing an attack coming from outside his tunnel vision. From a writing standpoint, the ability is balanced because of how Vulnerable Tser is to activate it, as well as how well his own body can react to stuff. Likewise he can still be hosed over by other abilities. I would guess if Melody's song had started sooner, he would have just seen himself standing still for 3 minutes 10 seconds, although that means Theta wouldn't have shot him either.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Funny, another ability countered by the most flexible of powers, Bungee Gum

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
After all these years I can't believe I fully understand King Crimson, what a time to be alive

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
drat. The fourth prince is OP as gently caress... I wonder how Chrollo is going to steal his abilities. :getin:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

kurapikas going to martyr himself by stealing tse's ability.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i still don't really get it. that diagram to explain it made it worse. like, does the cloned version of him just stand there the whole time? that is a dead give away that somethings up after you see it once. battles become this dude not moving vs you in full defense mode waiting for him to come out of it. feel like killua's electricity can deal with it pretty well. that spider's ability with the 5m (or w/e) en range too. it's such a weird ability i dunno how it interacts with people doing their own thing, really. i'm just so confused about it, damnit togashi!

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

dazoner posted:

drat. The fourth prince is OP as gently caress... I wonder how Chrollo is going to steal his abilities. :getin:

Chrollo does have that human-eating fish ability, which is imperceptible(?) as long as it's in a perfectly sealed room

Eat Tse's eyes, keep the room sealed for 24 hours so he'll still be alive, and force him to recite his ability's restrictions.

Of course if Togashi is planning for Chrollo to steal Tse's power he can always make up some tailormade ones to do so

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lpzie posted:

i still don't really get it. that diagram to explain it made it worse. like, does the cloned version of him just stand there the whole time? that is a dead give away that somethings up after you see it once. battles become this dude not moving vs you in full defense mode waiting for him to come out of it. feel like killua's electricity can deal with it pretty well. that spider's ability with the 5m (or w/e) en range too. it's such a weird ability i dunno how it interacts with people doing their own thing, really. i'm just so confused about it, damnit togashi!

The one thing I'm not certain of is what happens to the foreseen/fake Tse when he interrupts his foresight but starts it up again before 10 seconds pass and he has to start it all off again. Does the foreseen Tse still just keep doing what they were originally going to do or does it jump to what the real Tse did while he opened his eyes for that moment?

Stairmaster posted:

kurapikas going to martyr himself by stealing tse's ability.

Kurapika's going to use the stolen ability only to see himself die of old age from misusing ET so much.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Lpzie posted:

If Tse chooses to change things during the time frame his ability grants him the "cloned" version of him will still mimic what Tse would have done if he hadn't activated his ability. Other people will see Tse's "clone" act as he otherwise would have; Tse activating his power doesn't change that. He's just adding new actions to those ten seconds with his real body.

Think of it like audio; pretend Tse is in a band. Tse can hear the music he's going to play ten seconds into the future. He can then decide to add a new audio track that only he can hear to those ten seconds. During those ten seconds, both the music he was originally performing and the new audio track only he can hear are playing. When the ten seconds is up, that new audio track will then be audible to everyone and the music he was originally playing stops.

Does that make sense or did I make it worse?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Lpzie posted:

Oh. My God.

This is finally my boy Nobunaga's time to shine.

I hadn't even thought of that.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Does that make sense or did I make it worse?

def. worse. but i got that stuff kinda figured out. i'm more interested in the perspective of the other person. when do they die if tse kills them at 4 seconds? at 4 or at 10? man, iuno. i just get the feeling the guy he's training with is going to die during the sparring cause tse would want to answer that very question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Lpzie posted:

def. worse. but i got that stuff kinda figured out. i'm more interested in the perspective of the other person. when do they die if tse kills them at 4 seconds? at 4 or at 10? man, iuno. i just get the feeling the guy he's training with is going to die during the sparring cause tse would want to answer that very question.

There and certainly some intriguing unanswered questions, yeah. And I also would be amused if, somehow, Nobunaga has his moment against Tse. Although I don't know if I'm able to see the through line that gets those two together for a climactic showdown.

As for making the explanation worse, how about you imagine the two iterations of Tse like different buckets of slurry slowly being mixed together, and then...