Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dec 26, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

pretending to be a psychotic serial killer really helps humanize ted cruz

its an improvement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Azathoth posted:

As much as we talk about the national party being in disarray, there's just as bad of a problem with state parties.

For an example, compare and contrast Wisconsin with Minnesota. They're demographically, culturally, and economically very similar, yet Wisconsin is noticeably more red, yet the states move similarly in relation to national trends.

It's hard to account for this as anything other than Minnesota having a better organized state party, which has been the difference between holding our own during the Obama rot and having our own version of Scott Walker running roughshod over the state.

Dems seriously need to invest in party infrastructure if they want to turn it around.

Holy poo poo, this, this, this, this, and finally this.

The Democratic Party of Wisconsin under Mike Tate was loving handed the Governor's office after Walker went ham on public unions in 2011. I have never seen so many people so politically energized. That recall election was a slam dunk for the Democrats that hit the back of the rim so hard that it flew full court and went through the other hoop.

All those insulated loving self satisfied mouth breathers needed to do was find someone who was experienced in state level politics and knew how to rile some lefties up when there were 100,000 of us marching on the State Capitol. Instead, they went with the Mayor of Milwaukee who was no-goddamned-where to be found when the actual poo poo went down AND HAD ALREADY LOST TO SCOTT WALKER ONCE.

Then, because that wasn't controlled opposition enough for them, DPW picked a one-term Madison school board member who happened to be the heiress to the Trek bicycle fortune for their next public pants making GBS threads against Walker.

I'm still livid about that entire part of my life. I put actual human effort into protesting, civil disobedience, getting recall signatures, counter challenging recall signatures, and motivating everyone around me to give a poo poo, and Tate's DPW didn't even half-rear end it. They quarter-assed it at best.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it was their turn

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Shear Modulus posted:

it was their turn

poo poo like Tate's DPW makes me understand at a primal level why the French Revolution went after itself there towards the end.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
lol @ democrats

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
i wish ted cruz would lose but lmao at thinking he might

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Typo posted:

lol @ democrats

ok our opponents are almost comically corrupt. how can we make sure that we cant use that to our advatage

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Typo posted:

lol @ democrats

Hugin has a shitton of momentum because of this garbage.
Menendez you stupid shithead

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Lawman 0 posted:

Hugin has a shitton of momentum because of this garbage.
Menendez you stupid shithead

Tbf in 2012 cook also said hawaii senate race was a tossup but still gdi dems

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Typo posted:

Tbf in 2012 cook also said hawaii senate race was a tossup but still gdi dems

Menendez is probably still gonna squeeze in but this is shameful

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the worst part is despite the horrible corruption menendez, as far as senators go, isnt that bad lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
[is like the 5th, maybe 6th best senator in terms of pure voting record] *drools all over his reelection campaign*

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

anime was right posted:

the worst part is despite the horrible corruption menendez, as far as senators go, isnt that bad lol

He lusts for Iranian death

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

anime was right posted:

I'm still miffed that he won his primary

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Typo posted:

I'm still miffed that he won his primary

No one actually ran against him op and he only got 60 lmao

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lawman 0 posted:

are there any dems that dont?

i mean iranian death is written into the dnc platform

i like the part about iran being the leading state sponsor of terrorism despite the actual fact that it's either saudi arabia or israel

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dems are still really pissed that they punked Carter.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Al! posted:

are there any dems that dont?

i mean iranian death is written into the dnc platform

i like the part about iran being the leading state sponsor of terrorism despite the actual fact that it's either saudi arabia or israel

most democrats in senate upported the iranian nuclear deal

https://graphics.wsj.com/table/IranDealWhipList_0815

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

maybe they technically can say iran is the largest state sponsor of terrorism since isnt the iranian military a designated terrorist organization

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Our Iran policy is part and parcel of our Saudi Arabia policy and cannot be untangled from it.

A Cold War-type proxy war is happening between Saudi Arabia and Iran, and both Democrats and Republicans have consistently sided with Saudi Arabia. The Iran nuclear deal has not changed that calculation in the slightest.

Any change to our Iran policy is likely to start with a softening of our Saudi Arabia policy, and that is absolutely not occurring in any organized way.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Except, this isn't the 19th century anymore, political movements and ideas can garner support across state lines, just like gay marriage and marijuana legalization or whatever. Don't most states offer several constitutional amendments on the ballot for each election? I don't see why altering the state's electoral system can't be one of them.

Initiatives work but at least in Ohio (which has one of the more robust initiative systems iirc), the legislature decides both the language on the ballot and makes sure the amendment is constitutional. Lol if you think they'll let something that destroys the two party system pass

Parlimentary systems are insanely good, but if we're in a position where making one is possible, we've already won

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Typo posted:

and then every democrat in the senate supported putting sanctions back on them when trump got in

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the democrats are worthless but i still voted for them because every republican is way worse. i love being held hostage by a two party system

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Lawman 0 posted:

hes still like in the top 25% of dem senators which isnt exactly high praise, i know

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Lawman 0 posted:

No one actually ran against him op and he only got 60 lmao

yeah its incredible that a literal nobody who dropped out of the gov race like 2 weeks in got 40% of the vote against him lmao

imagine if one of the leftists that ran an actual campaign in the senate race opposed him

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Typo posted:

the majority leader didn't https://medium.com/@SenSchumer/my-position-on-the-iran-deal-e976b2f13478

For years, Iran has used military force and terrorism to expand its influence in the Middle East, actively supporting military or terrorist actions in Israel, Syria, Lebanon, Yemen, Iraq, and Gaza.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

imagine thinking the suffering in yemen is being caused by iran and not saudi arabia and the usa

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

anime was right posted:

yeah its incredible that a literal nobody who dropped out of the gov race like 2 weeks in got 40% of the vote against him lmao

imagine if one of the leftists that ran an actual campaign in the senate race opposed him

Weird how that always fails to materialize :thunk:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
jesus jacky rosen why are you bragging about the tax cuts you endorsed and how willing you are to work with republicans to pass everything

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1058402938538876928

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
menendez is probably a better senator than booker, god how miserable is that

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Office Pig posted:

menendez is probably a better senator than booker, god how miserable is that

Caligula's horse, dug up and reanimated via dark magic, and inducted into the Senate by a loophole in the rules stating "turn's out there's no rule that says a horse can't be Senator!" would be a better Senator than Booker.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

bring back Catilina and Clodius

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Shoulda named this thread The Polling Crucible

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Azathoth posted:

Caligula's horse, dug up and reanimated via dark magic, and inducted into the Senate by a loophole in the rules stating "turn's out there's no rule that says a horse can't be Senator!" would be a better Senator than Booker.

so what youre saying is we need to replace the senate with dead horses

checks out

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1058421758053830658?s=20

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1058419425672609792?s=20
:chaostrump:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

checks out

every vote a beat or blow
make the bastards neigh
sow equine fear untill they canter
drive dead men by the reins

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

checks out

undead horses, or else they'll just stink up what could otherwise be converted into affordable public housing, and that's just a waste