Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Kunabomber posted:

Please fill it in for Lupe. It determines the entire election process for the next 4 years. Copy/paste from the local Democratic Party e-mail:

So if you want a non-Republican person controlling the place you vote, put in a ballot for Lupe. It matters!

:chloe: Politics is broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Real Name Grover posted:

"did?"

This doesn't even make sense, Ted

He's trying to get James O'Keefe's latest rapidly-dissipating fart into the news.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

turnip kid posted:

I'm betting on 12-15% advantage for Cruz when the smoke clears. I've been down this road before.

How much did Wendy Davis lose by? Beto's situation is like a billion times better than hers. Not saying he's definitely winning, but there's no way he's not improving on that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

21 points

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1058342255122100226

There's no greater friend of communism than the CIA!

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I think the over under on Beto losing by only 4% is pretty good. Here's to hoping the loss won't shatter the naive.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

turnip kid posted:

I'm betting on 12-15% advantage for Cruz when the smoke clears. I've been down this road before.

Texas isn't red enough for that anymore

you are looking at Cruz +5 or so on avg

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sardonik posted:

I think the over under on Beto losing by only 4% is pretty good. Here's to hoping the loss won't shatter the naive.

In a result lauded by Texas Dems, but mourned by the nation...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dameius posted:

In a result lauded by Texas Dems, but mourned by the nation...

Yeah I have a feeling all the guys from other states poking their heads in here like Leslie Nielsen in Airplane to say Ganbare Beto! are gonna be the hardest hit.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Marxalot posted:

Hope is the mind killer.

I hate this nonsense. The actual quote is "fear is the mind killer" and the opposite of fear is not courage it is hope. Courage isn't the absence of fear it is when hope overcomes fear. There is always hope and when you give up hope that's when the forces of fear have won.

Hope the best, plan for the worst and expect nothing.

I hope Beto wins, if he doesn't I'll continue to do what I can to fight the fash and what happens will not destroy my ability to hope until I cease drawing breath.

zoux posted:

Well we'll know in a couple of days.

Dunno if it'll matter for poo poo but I voted a straight D slate but left Governor empty. Maybe if enough people do that the Texas Democratic party will learn tha- ahahahhahahah

No matter how bad Lupe may be she's still going to be better that the rolling homophobe so why the hell would you do something that stupid? Actually never mind the answer is obvious.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Another 357K early votes yesterday. 4.337M so far for 35 % turnout.

edit: this is nice to see, but I also realize it's probably just a fraction of eligible voters.

https://twitter.com/tbonier/status/1058040401901350912

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 2, 2018

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

PostNouveau posted:

He's trying to get James O'Keefe's latest rapidly-dissipating fart into the news.

People should know by now not to take anything Project "Veritas" says at face value, but just in case:

https://twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/1058417640903979008

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

While it would suck to lose a senate seat in loving NJ of all places, jettisoning menendez will ultimately be a good thing.

yeah tbh if the difference is btwn 52 GOP or 53 GOP ditching menendez is prob a good thing (unless you expect 2020 will be really close too)

OTOH if the difference is between 50 D + menendez/49R vs 50D/50R then you just have to hope the corrupt fuckface wins and resigns and the dem governor appoints his replacement

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

saintonan posted:

People should know by now not to take anything Project "Veritas" says at face value, but just in case:

What a piece of poo poo

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

zoux posted:

Yeah I have a feeling all the guys from other states poking their heads in here like Leslie Nielsen in Airplane to say Ganbare Beto! are gonna be the hardest hit.

I feel like regardless of whether he loses, Beto will have a down ballot effect, and also there will be some stickiness to first time voters turning out for future elections.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

cant believe the guy who fabricated videos of planned parenthood doctors talking about selling fetus parts fabricated another video

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

cant believe the guy who fabricated videos of planned parenthood doctors talking about selling fetus parts fabricated another video

I thought that was the Phoenix foundation

E: it was the center for medical progress

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

paternity suitor posted:

I feel like regardless of whether he loses, Beto will have a down ballot effect, and also there will be some stickiness to first time voters turning out for future elections.

I concur completely. But national people don't give a poo poo about our local or state or even Congressional delegation, they just want Ted Cruz to lose and be sad and maybe be so sad he spends the rest of his life in a tiny ascetic cell in a European monastery

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

zoux posted:

What a piece of poo poo

meanwhile, Ted Cruz will reference the doctored videos the rest of his campaign. Knowing they are fake.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Spacebump posted:

meanwhile, Ted Cruz will reference the doctored videos the rest of his campaign. Knowing they are fake.

The door is wide open for a “True to form for ‘Lyin’ Ted’” counterattack, but it’s too late for that

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zoux posted:

IMO, why vote, Cruz and Beto are exactly the same, if you think about it.

zoux posted:

Dunno if it'll matter for poo poo but I voted a straight D slate but left Governor empty.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lupe and Beto are exactly the same if you think about it

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zoux posted:

Lupe and Beto are exactly the same if you think about it

Lupe and Abbott are exactly the same, apparently??

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

saintonan posted:

of course

the whole point of this stuff is create bullshit spliced-together fakeness to force a narrative and to bog liberals down in technicalities. liberals will go "well actually this is technically fine, see as it says here..." while the right goes so you're admitting it! you are paying the caravan of illegals!

then cue a naive centrist going "ah gee, well, let's take an objective look at both sides of this issue..." :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah right now the press is breathless retweetingly and boosting and talking about that racist Willie Horton ad Trump just put out, but otherwise it's nowhere. They count on liberal outrage making things go viral. I don't know what the solution is though.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

zoux posted:

I thought that was the Phoenix foundation

E: it was the center for medical progress

there's too many of these assholes to keep em straight

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

:bisonyes:

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

mastajake posted:

:chloe: Politics is broken.

It really is. It's not ideal to say the least because it intrinsically rigs the system for the governing party.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
That's a feature, not a bug.

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

:wotwot:
What's the best site for info on TX candidates to put up on my companies slack?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Yeah right now the press is breathless retweetingly and boosting and talking about that racist Willie Horton ad Trump just put out, but otherwise it's nowhere. They count on liberal outrage making things go viral. I don't know what the solution is though.
hell if i know either. show liberals speeches from old john wayne war movies where he's like "if you're gettin' flack, boys, then you're over the target!"

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Chorrax posted:

What's the best site for info on TX candidates to put up on my companies slack?

I always used http://www.vote411.org because it lets you print out a note sheet to take to the polls after going through all the candidates. It's run by the League of Women's Voters and shows the candidates' answers to their questionnaire.

Notably, Abbott and Ted Cruz did not answer the questions so their sections are just blank. :v:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah Vote411 is the best, LWV has been my go-to for voting info for basically 2 decades now

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

saintonan posted:

Oof, this is the best help Ted Cruz can get?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Skex posted:

I hate this nonsense. The actual quote is "fear is the mind killer" and the opposite of fear is not courage it is hope. Courage isn't the absence of fear it is when hope overcomes fear. There is always hope and when you give up hope that's when the forces of fear have won.

Hope the best, plan for the worst and expect nothing.

I hope Beto wins, if he doesn't I'll continue to do what I can to fight the fash and what happens will not destroy my ability to hope until I cease drawing breath.

Yes, I too have read dune. It was a riff off what the poster I quoted said about getting your hopes up and jinxing poo poo.

I also know that "jinxing" isn't real.

Kunabomber posted:

Please fill it in for Lupe. It determines the entire election process for the next 4 years. Copy/paste from the local Democratic Party e-mail:

So if you want a non-Republican person controlling the place you vote, put in a ballot for Lupe. It matters!

Texas Dems :psyduck:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Marxalot posted:

Texas Dems :psyduck:

Actually I think that email shows a remarkable amount of political savvy by Texas Dem standards, at least they recognize that trying to sell people on their landlord cop who lost the debate is hopeless and their best chance is "okay vote for her because an unrelated good thing will happen"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/by_jmiller/status/1058465014812696577

quote:

Over the summer, Swing TX-7 Left pivoted from the confines of their affluent bubbles and started trying to identify and register new voters in the northwest part of the district — places outside Houston’s inner Loop 610, like Cypress and north Katy — that were more diverse and Democratic-leaning.

They identified “Hot Precincts” to canvass in the area by scanning Google Maps for streets with no trees or lots of cars in the driveway. That’s usually a sign that it’s a new neighborhood with lots of potential voters who’ve never been talked to before.

The group also made canvassing in apartment complexes a top priority. Twenty percent of the Harris County population live in apartments and they tend to be overwhelmingly Democratic — but many don’t vote. Campaigns generally avoid investing field resources into apartments because residents often move and it’s hard to keep tabs on who you’re trying to reach.

Swing TX-7 Left decided to change that and in August launched an canvassing initiative in which they left about 35,000 door hangers with voter registration forms at apartments around the district. There was a more than 5 percent registration uptick in those areas, volunteers said.

Swing TX-7 Left’s innovation has not been borne out of some innate political genius. Rather, it’s due to sheer determination and a dose of idealistic ignorance. Many of the volunteers had no idea who John Culberson was in October of 2016 and didn’t know the first thing about block walking or voter registration. In short, they didn’t know what they didn’t know — and that has been both their greatest strength and weakness. It’s a whole lot easier to break all the rules if you don’t know what the rules are in the first place. Despite their success, the learning curve has been steep, and they’ll be the first to admit it.

As the campaign moved into the final stretch, Swing TX-7 Left got more sophisticated. Jane Lesnick, who had a bit of experience as an Obama field organizer in 2008, came up with a plan to create a series of volunteer teams to serve as organizing hubs around the district. The plan was based on Obama’s “snowflake” organizing model and echoed the field program that Moser’s campaign had set up. Lesnick got it off the ground and after a few weeks, it looked to be working.

Then they started getting pressured by both the Swing Left national organization and the Fletcher campaign to shut the snowflake down and fall in line with Fletcher’s GOTV strategy.

Jay Taylor, the retired attorney now with Swing TX-7 Left, had seen that coming. A local DCCC organizer had warned that when it came time to get out the vote, “you tuck in your wings and fold in as close to the campaign as possible.” But that doesn’t mean it was easy.

“It goes against grain of how we’re set up. We’re more partisan guerilla fighters,” Taylor explained, comparing Swing Left volunteers to the French resistance fighters who fought alongside Allied troops in World War II — they have the same goal and fight together, but have different tactics that don’t always mesh.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

My wife and I voted at I10 and Dairy Ashford today

There were a bunch of old ladies with homemade Ted Cruz/Qanon collab shirts, so not super optimistic about TX7 turning blue

Hopefully I’m wrong?

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 3, 2018

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rock My Socks! posted:

There were a bunch of old ladies with homemade Ted Cruz/Qanon collab shirts, so not super optimistic about TX7 turning blue

Hopefully I’m wrong?

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rock My Socks! posted:

Hopefully I’m wrong?

https://twitter.com/AngevinDynasty/status/1058427234309103616?s=20