Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hmm.. let's use dark blue for values between 0.6 and 0.9, and light red for those between 0.09 [sic] and 1.0...3

e. also nothing between 0.5 and 0.6.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 12:03 on Oct 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Looks like it's made by hand in mspaint. The legend is all hosed up, graphically.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

System Metternich posted:

If the percentage of homeless people in Germany and the US is roughly equal, then why are they so much more visible in the latter? Is it because of less social housing, or maybe simply because the weather is better?
What is your reference for "visibility"? I'm asking because I can go to the central shopping district and see a worrying amount of homeless just sitting around, not even looking at spots warmed by air HVAC exhausts or that entrance to a parking garage that's basically a greenhouse etc.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I presume that the awful part of this is the choice of colors?

Well its missing that Canadian island that half of wikipedia is also missing so

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Anticosti?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I kind of like this (text is irrelevant).

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Kennel posted:

Something to do with Finnish healthcare... Is the top bar "erectile dysfunction"? :haw:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Something to do with Finnish healthcare... Is the top bar "erectile dysfunction"? :haw:

(number of complaints/healthcare profession, doctors on top)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I cannot help think that some of those professions were named like that out of pure stubbornness by someone who will defend the Finnish language to the death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Kennel posted:

reminds me of w.e.b du bois's charts of african american demographics

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

No, a cluster of islands in the arctic ocean.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

My problem with that homelessness map is that only about 20 countries are represented. You couldn't be bothered to gather data for 7/8 of the world, including vast swaths of 4/6 inhabited continents, so why make a map that's mostly whitespace? Put it in a table or something.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kennel posted:

:flaccid: The Chart

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tree Goat posted:

reminds me of w.e.b du bois's charts of african american demographics

this kind of reminds me of number-form synesthesia

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

frankenfreak posted:

What is your reference for "visibility"? I'm asking because I can go to the central shopping district and see a worrying amount of homeless just sitting around, not even looking at spots warmed by air HVAC exhausts or that entrance to a parking garage that's basically a greenhouse etc.

It's true that homeless sitting out in the open is definitely a thing here too (and it sure seems that their number is rising), but otoh things like in the video below are pretty much unheard of in Germany. My perception of the US is that this isn't necessarily something all that extraordinary - maybe in scale, but not in nature. But I admit that I might be off, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhy3zI3wvAo

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

System Metternich posted:

It's true that homeless sitting out in the open is definitely a thing here too (and it sure seems that their number is rising), but otoh things like in the video below are pretty much unheard of in Germany. My perception of the US is that this isn't necessarily something all that extraordinary - maybe in scale, but not in nature. But I admit that I might be off, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhy3zI3wvAo

This video requires payment to watch

First time I've seen that message.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Count Roland posted:

This video requires payment to watch

First time I've seen that message.

I just read that Youtube is apparently doing another dumb experiment and randomly putting paywalls on random videos for random people.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Works for me. Maybe using adblockers gets around whatever bullshit Youtube's up to today.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sininu posted:

I just read that Youtube is apparently doing another dumb experiment and randomly putting paywalls on random videos for random people.

and here I thought random videos had just been monetized by spurious copyright claims

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Works for me. Maybe using adblockers gets around whatever bullshit Youtube's up to today.

I use adblock+ and a script blocker but it still didn't show.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1057024568991326211?s=19

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/realwokieleaks/status/1057798810804645893

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Laffer curve, indeed.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

:laffo: curve

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I don't think that's a best fit trendline....

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

MrUnderbridge posted:

It's not supposed to be.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

MrUnderbridge posted:

It's well established academic practice that a best fit trendline is just whatever trendline fits your argument best.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I don't want to get into the boring weeds, but any data/stats person looking at that scatterplot and that line [which, yes, is supposed to be a best fit line because that's the argument it's trying to support] wouldn't accept it. Even if Norway were not an outlier for an extremely identifiable reason, which it was (oil), and even if the axes were the right way to test the notion, which they aren't (which gets into even more boring weeds).

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It looks like an argument against the Laffer curve.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
It's almost as if the Laffer curve only makes sense if you plot it for a single specific country, as you vary the tax rate and leave every other variable as they are...

(That's how I suspect a Laffer curve is meant to be used, anyway.)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My username is my username because at the time I thought it was funny that you could add it to any graph like that without context and people would nod and say it made sense.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I've done some serious statistical analysis unlike those jokers at the Wall Street Journal and come up with the true relation between taxes and revenue.

U.A.E. doesn't fit this shape so I've decided it doesn't count

Angepain has a new favorite as of 17:28 on Nov 1, 2018

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1058271829310296064

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

It's almost as if the Laffer curve only makes sense if you plot it for a single specific country, as you vary the tax rate and leave every other variable as they are...

(That's how I suspect a Laffer curve is meant to be used, anyway.)

It's meant to be used to lower taxes. Any actual attempt to explain or predict real world phenomena is an off-label use and not recommended by the manufacturer.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao why is that not just dots on a calendar or something. id even accept like a horizontal stacked bar chart

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
just a list, if you want to be fancy then a timeline, would be fine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krankenstyle posted:

a horizontal stacked bar chart

I'm having trouble picturing that, I admit.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

is all I can think of looking at that tweet.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

frankenfreak posted:

is all I can think of looking at that tweet.

I never even noticed it was ranked horizontally based on population size. Two years later and this is still the best maliciously bad chart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Subjunctive posted:

I'm having trouble picturing that, I admit.

to highlight the differense between them (below is a random graph)

Only registered members can see post attachments!