Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AG3 posted:

I'm the weirdo who picks Espionage sometimes purely for RP reasons.

I mean unless your playing MP picking the most efficient ideas isn’t really necessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Firebatgyro posted:

Not picking Quantity first in Northern Italy is actually extremely right. You should definitely be picking diplo or influence first. The number of troops you have doesn't matter if you can only conquer 1 province every 20 years because of AE.

lol if you aren't no-cbing granada at some point early on and picking exploration first as a non-OPM northern italian tag (the OPMs probably can't take granada before castile does)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Eh, so long as there's a free province to take an OPM can just slide in and take a province while Castile is siegeing the fort. Sometimes Castile leaves them as an OPM too, though I think that's less likely in this patch.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Is the English PU with France kinda overrated? I hosed up and took Paris directly instead of forcing the union then immediately attacked Scotland and let Savoy and France bleed each other out and now I have permanent claims on 2/3 of France (from the Brittany mission) while they've fallen out of great power status before 1480. I feel like I'd be juggling their liberty desire for the next 20+ years as a union but instead I can just sit back and collect taxes from their land while I mop up the British Isles to avoid getting coalitioned in mainland Europe, then turn around and eat France directly.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Cockblocktopus posted:

Is the English PU with France kinda overrated? I hosed up and took Paris directly instead of forcing the union then immediately attacked Scotland and let Savoy and France bleed each other out and now I have permanent claims on 2/3 of France (from the Brittany mission) while they've fallen out of great power status before 1480. I feel like I'd be juggling their liberty desire for the next 20+ years as a union but instead I can just sit back and collect taxes from their land while I mop up the British Isles to avoid getting coalitioned in mainland Europe, then turn around and eat France directly.

The PU is not "overrated" insofar as owning all of France and England means you've won the game. If you can own all of France a different way then go hog wild! Nothing matters once you have that amount of dev.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Keeping France loyal is pretty easy too. Max your relations, hire a dip rep adviser, keep your army and navy at force limit, keep your diplo and mil tech up to date, keep your prestige above zero, and of course support loyalists in France. Without the union you'd have to fight many long and bloody wars with France and their allies, and you'd have to spend admin points to core most of it. It's absolutely worth it.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Also means you get access to French Missions. Which gives you easy means of conquering into Italy.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Groogy posted:

It's a joke
I've never seen so many people get so upset over a freaking joke of a ship

Oh, my bad. I just took a look at the numbers of cannons the ships get and now it seems pretty obvious, but before that I wasn’t sure if the Spanish +30% would actually be better in the late game than a flat +100.

Anyway add more unique things for other nations too please, thanks.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Fister Roboto posted:

Keeping France loyal is pretty easy too. Max your relations, hire a dip rep adviser, keep your army and navy at force limit, keep your diplo and mil tech up to date, keep your prestige above zero, and of course support loyalists in France. Without the union you'd have to fight many long and bloody wars with France and their allies, and you'd have to spend admin points to core most of it. It's absolutely worth it.

Yeah, this. When I got the PU over France in my Spanish game, I had a diplomat just living in France improving relations, as well as supporting loyalists. Going to war every couple of decades to pick up parts of Brittany or Savoy for them kept their liberty desire low as well. I became so large, so fast, I never got attacked. It made building up and expanding so much easier without having to worry about any of the other GP’s in Europe.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Blinks77 posted:

Also means you get access to French Missions. Which gives you easy means of conquering into Italy.

I had no idea this was a thing. I'm finishing my first UK run and while it was nicely strong (did all missions except those involving becoming HRE emperor), I could have used french missions. How do you access them?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Any idea why I can't explore NW Pacific here? The mission is available, but when I select it the ships just sit in the harbor doing nothing.

Also the shogun keeps declaring war on Yeren and doing literally nothing, not even blockading them, so they end up having to sign a -25% warscore peace treaty every time. It might be related, like there's something weird going on with ocean pathing in that part of the world.

OK yeah there's something fucky going on with the way distances are being calculated in the NW Pacific.

Here's the distance from Japan to the Kuril Islands:

And here's the distance to the adjacent sea zone:

:shepface:

Guess I'll head over to the bug report forum.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Might be a map cache issue?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is the map cache even still a thing in modern Clausewitz? I couldn't find a folder for it. In any case, I deleted my map folder and revalidated, and the problem is still there. Also tried disabling all my mods just in case, still no luck :shrug:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm pretty sure it is, but not like it used to be. Seems to do some sort of caching with the map and flags and stuff though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Koramei posted:

Oh, my bad. I just took a look at the numbers of cannons the ships get and now it seems pretty obvious, but before that I wasn’t sure if the Spanish +30% would actually be better in the late game than a flat +100.

Anyway add more unique things for other nations too please, thanks.

Yeah, honestly I had no idea that +100 cannons was a lot, so the joke went right over my head.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Swedish Steel: +100 fire pips

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

As Lithuania, is it best to hold off PU'ing Muscovy via mission until they form Russia? Reason being, they won't pick exploration normally, but as Russia they'll get Siberian frontier eventually, and better ideas/more claims.

Also as Lithuania, how do you usurp HRE? I got Bohemia in a PU pretty much immediately but even with Brandenburg and Saxony allied/married/200 Relations I was always at least 40-50 below Austria in preference in their vote. Is it only through vassalizing?

I must say it's fun to be in early 1500 with Hungary, Bohemia and Muscovy in a PU, and Sweden as vassal. RIP diplo points tho.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Once you've vassalized one elector its pretty much the case that you have to vandalize the rest to overcome the vassalised elector penalty, but you could also make Austria give up land until it loses the Large Nation In HRE boost.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Sephyr posted:

I had no idea this was a thing. I'm finishing my first UK run and while it was nicely strong (did all missions except those involving becoming HRE emperor), I could have used french missions. How do you access them?

You can't actually see it in the game itself. However anytime a country fulfils the requirements the AI will get the rewards and move onto the next bit.

So in the case of having a PU over France as the UK. If you give them Aquitaine, Labourd and Maine. They complete "reconquer Gascony" and France gains permanent claims over Provence and Loire while now having the next mission open.

This works for any AI country of course. Enemies, Allies, Vassals and whatever.

Blinks77 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 2, 2018

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Is +100 cannons going to turn into EU4's Sunset Invasion?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

White Coke posted:

Is +100 cannons going to turn into EU4's Sunset Invasion?

Making light of the swedes is expected and fine and based either ironically or not in PDIs home location.

90% of SIs immediate angry reaction was racism.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ok, trade gurus: I'm playing as Custom Shiite South African Mamluks and capped the cape early, with everything colonized that the most likely thing to happen is Spain colonizing from the other side.

Should I be collecting in the Cape or in Zanzibar like the old days? I'm taking over more of the Malaccas and Moluccas right now, but they feed directly there. I'm also allied to Yemen and next war I'll be eating up most of the Ethopians. I have nothing in India, yet (though I should be eating into Viji right?)

Also trying to beat the other colonizers is impossible for the south: I just barely managed to take Brazil via having my Brazil declare with my claim the moment that the colonies became large enough and screw trying to do that with the huge Spanish ones. Is there as of yet no fix for them endlessly just improving their capital? I know I gave my Australia mad money from the start and they're now colonizing twice the cheeky buggers.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

the colonial nations just improving their capital with their colonist endlessly can't be working as intended. it pretty much forces you to go all or nothing with exploration/expansion if you don't get an extra colonist from national ideas

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Zikan posted:

the colonial nations just improving their capital with their colonist endlessly can't be working as intended. it pretty much forces you to go all or nothing with exploration/expansion if you don't get an extra colonist from national ideas

Yeah, what is weird is that my Viji colonial nation in New Zealand is improving in their capital province, which has high development and is mountainous, so the chance of an increase is lower than some of their other coastal plains provinces. There are still plenty of moderately high development provinces in the colonial area for them to take advantage of, and it would surely be the better fiscal decision for them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Ok, trade gurus: I'm playing as Custom Shiite South African Mamluks and capped the cape early, with everything colonized that the most likely thing to happen is Spain colonizing from the other side.

Should I be collecting in the Cape or in Zanzibar like the old days? I'm taking over more of the Malaccas and Moluccas right now, but they feed directly there. I'm also allied to Yemen and next war I'll be eating up most of the Ethopians. I have nothing in India, yet (though I should be eating into Viji right?)

Also trying to beat the other colonizers is impossible for the south: I just barely managed to take Brazil via having my Brazil declare with my claim the moment that the colonies became large enough and screw trying to do that with the huge Spanish ones. Is there as of yet no fix for them endlessly just improving their capital? I know I gave my Australia mad money from the start and they're now colonizing twice the cheeky buggers.

Definitely Zanzibar. If you control all of Cape, then nobody else will be able to project power upstream to Zanzibar so you'll be able to collect 100% of the trade value there.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Definitely Zanzibar. If you control all of Cape, then nobody else will be able to project power upstream to Zanzibar so you'll be able to collect 100% of the trade value there.
I'm so frustratingly close to getting the biggest trade node too, but I'm only 25 years from Global Trade spawning.

I guess I could conquer the bottom of India and maybe force some of the Gulf of Aden people to give me all theit trade power and steering?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

What causes your army to sometimes retreat one province away?

I know that if you're deep enough into enemy territory that can happen, but I've twice recently had it where I was one province in, lost a battle and retreated one province deeper into enemy territory and got wiped.

In one of the cases, I was Milan in 1450 sieging Treviso from Venice after having occupied Verona. Venetian Orthodox rebels somehow appeared in Treviso(??) and becamse the defenders because the fort mechanics are still somehow stupid like that and my army retreated to verona. Seeing this, the much smaller venetian army attacked me there before I regained enough morale to move, but. I guess they were small enough that my army didn't wipe. So it retreated back to Treviso and was wiped by the rebels. Amazing.

feller fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 3, 2018

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Playing as Japan, it's 1600 and I stupidly didn't become a Ming tributary before I turned GP, so now all expansion (outside the new world, where I'm happily colonizing) is pretty much blocked and I need to find a way to conquer the little islands and Korea. Is there a good way to muscle in on Ming without getting my teeth kicked in?

I could, with enough time and money, build a superior navy. If I declare war on a tributary and Ming joins in, will this provoke them to try to invade Japan proper so I can beat them with home turf advantage? They've landed invasions before and I defeated those no problem, but those were offensive wars on their part.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Guildencrantz posted:

Playing as Japan, it's 1600 and I stupidly didn't become a Ming tributary before I turned GP, so now all expansion (outside the new world, where I'm happily colonizing) is pretty much blocked and I need to find a way to conquer the little islands and Korea. Is there a good way to muscle in on Ming without getting my teeth kicked in?

I could, with enough time and money, build a superior navy. If I declare war on a tributary and Ming joins in, will this provoke them to try to invade Japan proper so I can beat them with home turf advantage? They've landed invasions before and I defeated those no problem, but those were offensive wars on their part.

If you don't own any provinces that Ming can reach without crossing a strait and you can get naval dominance, then declare on Ming with some kind of trade CB, blockade them until they will give you tons of cash, then declare on as many of their tributaries as you like and peace out Ming so you don't actually have to fight their armies.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Jesus, that's brilliant.

Time to raise diplo tech and expand the hell out of the IJN.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Guildencrantz posted:

If you're a Japan GP Ming should be your personal ATM. Do what Rabidweasel posted but don't stop there, declare war on day one the truce timer is up, get more money, repeat.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Guildencrantz posted:

Ming are pushovers. Just declare war on one of their tributaries with an ally or two while Ming is busy somewhere else, fully occupy the tributary before Ming arrives, then blockade a few ports and and Ming will want out of the war. Ming shares warscore with their tributaries which means you don't really need to fully invade them or anything. At most you may have to engage in some diversionary tactics and try to take down a fort or two of theirs, but I often find that's unnecessary and only do that when I want further concessions.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you have a border with Ming, their mandate will crater. At 0, all of their troops will take 50% more damage in combat, which makes them a complete pushover. If you want to get rid of Ming permanently, you can try causing a Mingsplosion. Declare war on them, roll over their armies, and occupy their poo poo until they have 20 war exhaustion and rebels start popping. Then sign a white peace and watch the rebels go to town.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

If you have a border with Ming, their mandate will crater. At 0, all of their troops will take 50% more damage in combat, which makes them a complete pushover. If you want to get rid of Ming permanently, you can try causing a Mingsplosion. Declare war on them, roll over their armies, and occupy their poo poo until they have 20 war exhaustion and rebels start popping. Then sign a white peace and watch the rebels go to town.

Does it have to be a white peace? Why not snag some freebies if the war has gone so well?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Sephyr posted:

Does it have to be a white peace? Why not snag some freebies if the war has gone so well?

When a nation loses a war, they get buffs that let them bounce back more easily. White peace denies them that since it's not losing. The goal here is to cause maximum damage rather than snag a few territories

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The higher the war score cost of the peace deal the higher reduction in war exhaustion the loser receives. So, if you put them up to 20 WE and white peace out, they keep the 20 WE, and this can cause naturally unstable empires like the Timurids to be much more likely to explode. Adding a few things will increase the war score cost and reduce their WE.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You'll also be able to take land much quicker once Ming does explode, so it's worth the wait.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

When a nation loses a war, they get buffs that let them bounce back more easily. White peace denies them that since it's not losing. The goal here is to cause maximum damage rather than snag a few territories

these buffs are called "revanchism" if you want to look up the specifics on the wiki

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Sorted on manpower and was quite surprised to see Lan Na doing so well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
I'm not sure the land border with Ming would work for Japan specifically. According to the wiki, the non-tributary mandate penalty is applied by development, but only from provinces that have a land route to China. Which Japan proper of course doesn't have. Once you eat Korea that's be a good amount of dev, but probably not enough to push mandate gain into the negative in an otherwise stable and prosperous Ming.

My current plan is to use the vast wealth I've extorted from Ming via piracy (thanks for that tip!) to fortify the everliving gently caress out of my Korean holdings, then make Ming bleed out on that border while blockading their ports until they eat massive WE.

Guildencrantz fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 3, 2018