Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mega64 posted:

Once I hit 95, some pics hit around the 200KB area. My eye for quality is off since I'm not seeing much difference between 85 and 90, but that's why I asked here to make sure.

Here's an updated test post with 95 JPG quality versions and a third pic with more text. I'm now leaning toward 900x516 JPG 90 thanks to everyone's feedback, but I'm still open to suggestions!

I can't see any difference between the 90 and 95, so go with the smaller filesize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ultrafilter posted:

I can't see any difference between the 90 and 95, so go with the smaller filesize.

It's another step up in text fidelity. I can see a difference between 90 and 95, 95 and png are extremely close.

Definitely go with with the 900 wide 90 jpg's though. That's a good balance between quality and filesize.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

^
Seconding this again. I can see a difference between 90 and 95, dark text on light background does look nicer with 95, but 90 is definitely good enough.

If you ever have shots with a lot of text that looks like what you have in the first image, it might be nice to bump up the quality to 95 (or even better) just for those. But even then, 90 is still perfectly readable.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
900x516 90 quality it is! Thanks for the feedback!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I guess I should make a new thing since I generally have free time to record at the moment. I'm looking for feedback on the game audio (I think it's a bit soft) and if there's any commentary/video goofs I've missed. I haven't recorded a thing in half a year, maybe I've lost my touch. I plan to put bios/information of interest in a second post. I know some links in the youtube description are wrong but I can't update those until I have threads :v

What?
Mad Max is an open world game in the vein of Just Cause (same developers), but with a bigger focus on vehicular combat and some Batman: Arkham style ground combat. It's a bit overstuffed with content and a fair amount of it is padding, but it's still worth seeing! The game is a loose to non-canonical tie in to Mad Max: Fury Road, and it takes a lot of influences and universe building based the universe fleshed out in that movie. George Miller was even involved in pre-production consulting!

How?
The game is far too stuffed with content to be a 100% play through, but I've got a good track record with open world games with an awful lot of content. I'll at least be completing the main storyline, do a fair amount of side content, and there's a good chance I'll reduce threat level in all areas to 0. I will not be doing all the various challenges through the game, I don't plan on touching post-game content, and getting all the history relics and death races completed is gonna be a nope from me. While doing some area cleanups I tentatively plan to make a quick overview of the various Mad Max movies, to give some context to what we find in various areas in the game. I'm afraid I don't have an awful lot planned for audience involved, although I will need your help at the end of the first video to pimp out our :krad: ride!

Videos
1: The Raggedy Man/Polsy - Vote for the Magnum Opus body!

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student
I'm thinking of restarting oldish abandon Let's Play due to hard drive corruption, The Sims 3 LP with the "Nothing is Free" challenge, this time I'm using the rules the creator gave to combine it with the random legacy challenge.
Intro post
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=152478
First Post
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=152479

Notes for the preview
I resized the images because the basic images were huge is the size okay? (I left cropped images the default size because they are easier to read that way)
Do I explain stuff too much, not enough, just right?
How's my grammar? I'm a horrible proofreader so I'm trying to get better at that.
I'm using the screenshot function of the sims 3 for photos that require no UI and I'm using my computers screenshot feature for photos that require UI. Is that fine? I would record video thing but the problem is that doesn't get rid of UI and a lot of sims screen shot benefit from no UI.

Edit: used the offsite thing instead of posting it all here for formatting purposes.

Edit: I'm gonna #yolo and :justpost: I've waited long enough for feedback

weso12 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 2, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I've got it in my head to do some sort of weird Legacy inter-generational Pokemon run going from Gen 3 to Gen 6 or 7 (by emulator). The start will be either FR/LG or R/S/E with the goal to take a set of Pokemon through every region (B/W. Pokemon on the final team at end game will be bred and the Eggs (or the hatched pokemon) will be passed onto the next game. May or may not make it a Nuzlocke run to actually make it challenging or do something to make it actually interesting. My only hitch is that I've never done an LP before so this might be a bit too ambitious. At the higher generations, I may just have to hatch and then hack in the pokemon since Bank doesn't exist for emulation.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I've got it in my head to do some sort of weird Legacy inter-generational Pokemon run going from Gen 3 to Gen 6 or 7 (by emulator). The start will be either FR/LG or R/S/E with the goal to take a set of Pokemon through every region (B/W. Pokemon on the final team at end game will be bred and the Eggs (or the hatched pokemon) will be passed onto the next game. May or may not make it a Nuzlocke run to actually make it challenging or do something to make it actually interesting. My only hitch is that I've never done an LP before so this might be a bit too ambitious. At the higher generations, I may just have to hatch and then hack in the pokemon since Bank doesn't exist for emulation.

If you really want to do this (I agree it's ambitious), an interesting thing to do is start with a pokemon in R/S/E and migrate it all the way to Alpha Ruby/Omega Sapphire. If you hack stuff you'll need to hack in the place of origin as well and even then it might not work if you don't officially transfer it, but you get a little neat thing for doing this.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm gonna post this here formally as well, just in case

:siren::siren:REGARDING SPOKKY HALLOWEEN THREAD TITLE/TAG CHANGES:siren::siren:

Since Halloween is now 5 days gone and now you're just the weirdo with a rotting pumpkin on their front step who's still wearing their costume and eating candy in the dark, perhaps it might be time to come back to reality with the rest of us... as much so as anyone who talks over video game footage for the internet is with "reality" to begin with.

So if you were one of the folks who requested a Halloween-themed title or tag for your thread and now want to go back to a normal one, then please let us moderators know either in the Sandcastle, via PMs, or just by reporting your own OP if you have platinum. Also be sure to include the title you want it changed or changed back to, because gently caress if we remember what any of them were to begin with.

Thank you.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

change them all to cloying Christmas songs

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm gonna post this here formally as well, just in case

:siren::siren:REGARDING SPOKKY HALLOWEEN THREAD TITLE/TAG CHANGES:siren::siren:

Since Halloween is now 5 days gone and now you're just the weirdo with a rotting pumpkin on their front step who's still wearing their costume and eating candy in the dark, perhaps it might be time to come back to reality with the rest of us... as much so as anyone who talks over video game footage for the internet is with "reality" to begin with.

So if you were one of the folks who requested a Halloween-themed title or tag for your thread and now want to go back to a normal one, then please let us moderators know either in the Sandcastle, via PMs, or just by reporting your own OP if you have platinum. Also be sure to include the title you want it changed or changed back to, because gently caress if we remember what any of them were to begin with.

Thank you.

Looking to get out of my Halloween costume. I'm keeping the candy though. You'll never take it and the darkness away from me.

LP - Conception 2

Icon: Weird

Original Title: Let's make babies, then lead them to battle! Conception II: CotSS

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Does anyone in the Screenshot LP biz know of a good resource for scripts to games? I'm looking at LPing a text-heavy DS game, but the sheer amount of screenshotting and transcribing I'd have to do is weighing me down.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

LordHippoman posted:

Does anyone in the Screenshot LP biz know of a good resource for scripts to games? I'm looking at LPing a text-heavy DS game, but the sheer amount of screenshotting and transcribing I'd have to do is weighing me down.

There's a program called Capture2Text that the users linked to a while back which might let you grab the text from video or gameplay, but how well it works seems to be based on the text font, colour, and the type of background the text is displayed against (if any). I didn't end up trying this out myself, since I just decided to transcribe everything by hand. Here is Doc M's experience with it:

Doc M posted:

My experience has been that when the game has white or light-colored text on a a solid black or dark background, such as Jade Empire or Persona, C2T works quite well. It occasionally interprets a comma as a period or vice versa and might have some issues with capital letters and such, but as a whole it works very nicely for that kind of text and most of the time you can just copy-paste its results straight into your update.

On the other hand, if you're playing something like The Witcher where the text is simply laid over the game graphics, C2T barely works most of the time and interprets the text as a garbled mess of characters if there's anything going on in the background. Maybe there's some way to mitigate this, but I never figured it out myself.

In terms of script files, I'm not sure how easy it is to pull scripts from a DS game directly. Chances are, unless you are lucky enough that someone else somewhere on the internet transcribed it already, then you will need to do it manually.

If you do decide to go this route then I would suggest recording video and then transcribing from the playback. I tried to do the screenshotting method myself at first, but the folder size was getting insane with the number of pictures it takes. Play back the video and pause on the lines, transcribe, then play to the next line. You can scroll through once the typing is done and grab whatever screenshots you think are appropriate. I find this helps space out and maintain the screenshots as well.

If you don't have a decent typing speed, then I wouldn't suggest going the transcription route. I usually average 70-80 WPM and it still takes me several hours to type up an entire update's worth of script. Granted, this would go a lot quicker if I had a transcription foot pedal. Wouldn't need to keep using the mouse to start and stop.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

LordHippoman posted:

Psycho Knight posted:

In terms of script files, I'm not sure how easy it is to pull scripts from a DS game directly. Chances are, unless you are lucky enough that someone else somewhere on the internet transcribed it already, then you will need to do it manually.

It depends on the game. There's no universal resource, and not all games have dumps. Though depending on the game, it might be possible for someone to hack in and rip out the script (Assuming there's no custom encoding shenanigans like some games employ.)

I was able to rip out scripts for Rune Factory 2 and 3 easily since those were just stored in plaintext, but other games like Etrian Odyssey use a different encoding format (Just Shift-JIS from EO3 onwards, but 1 and 2 used their own proprietary format), that it might just be easier to transcribe in that case unless someone makes a dedicated tool for that sort of thing.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 8, 2018

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I've done two screenshot lps and manually transcribed both. It takes an insane amount of time, but that's your payoff for no video/audio editing. You get better at it as time goes on.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

I didn't know that site existed when I made my previous post. Thanks for pointing it out.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
As far as SSLPs go, there's something to be said for how freeing it is to just only post screenshots of dialogue and then just liberally ripping it out when the game's author starts filibustering. Though that method only really works great in a "check out THIS poo poo" sense and not in a game you're showing off because you like it.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
If you are lucky you might be able to find the Game Script on gamefaqs.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
A couple times I've found scripts that were clearly done via manual transcription in odd places. Sometimes just googling finds results in places you sure wouldn't be looking normally.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

LordHippoman posted:

Probably should have asked this straight away, but what game is it? Or do you not want to give it away?

I didn't think I would find art assets for the game I'm doing, but when the game was mentioned in thread Commander Keene ended up finding some right away from a site I haven't heard of.

Might have some similar luck if you do the same, but if you'd prefer to keep it under wraps then that's fine too.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and used some of my money from student government jobs to get a Switch/Mac capture device, and have a rough draft for a first update for Atelier Lydie & Suelle. I was mainly curious if this was an appropriately-sized update to introduce someone to the game, and if I clearly communicate what's going on in this draft; I hope everything else is technically competent.

Ah, and here's a draft for the OP:

OP posted:

Paint me like one of your French girls: Let’s Play Atelier Lydie & Suelle!

Welcome! We'll be playing Super Mario 64, wherein we explore worlds within magical paintings with Mario to save Princess… wait, no, that didn't come out right. We'll be playing Atelier Lydie & Suelle ~The Alchemists and the Mysterous Paintings~, wherein we explore wondrous worlds within mysterious paintings with the twin alchemists Lydie and Suelle Malen!

Tell me more about Atelier Lydie & Suelle.

Atelier Lydie & Suelle (PS4/Switch/PC) is the 19th entry in Gust's crafting RPG Atelier series and the last entry in the series' Mysterious trilogy, Atelier Sophie and Atelier Firis being the prequels. Despite this, Lydie & Suelle stands on its own as a story. During the course of the game, we'll see our eponymous protagonists fulfill the promise they made with their mother on her deathbed to one day run the best Atelier in their country in spite of their inexperience, their family's grinding poverty, and their deadbeat dad. The main story is neatly divided into twelve chapters, almost all of which focus around an alchemy examination and a subsequent investigation of a Mysterious Painting. Keeping with Atelier tradition, we'll also delve into the friendships they make along the way—important friendships that will help them realize their dream and then some.

Despite what the title might prime Dusk trilogy veterans to think, Lydie & Suelle does not have separate stories like Escha & Logy and Shallie did. You can even freely switch which twin is on the overworld, but the few resulting differences are all cosmetic in nature.

That's nice. So how will this LP run?

This will be a screenshot LP (with video links for events). I'll be showing the main story along with all character events, as is required to achieve this game's True Ending. There's also plenty of scenes where conversations between characters happen offscreen; in these cases, I'll do my best to fill in the blanks. I'll denote these inserted lines with italics next to the character's avatar. With this in mind, doing all character events means a lot of content to cover. To avoid bloating the LP, I'm not going to show all the gathering, battles, or syntheses done.

Any of my own commentary will be denoted with italics.

Spoilers

This being a LP of the last installment in the Mysterious trilogy, it will spoil some major plot beats from Sophie and Firis. :siren:I'll denote these with siren emotes and bold text when they come up:siren:, but if you care about plot beats from the prequels, then tread carefully. As for the plot of Lydie & Suelle itself, please keep the black bar discussion to a minimum. The story is more cute, simple, comedic and lighthearted than complex and loaded, but there will still be scenes that can blindside you despite all of that.

UPDATES

Part 1-1: The Twins Malen

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 10, 2018

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I was lucky. Exile 1 and 2 had the ability to dump their text into a text file. Exile 3.... well, I had a rip, but it was a horrid piece of work that I used only when I needed to, and I manually transcribed 95%+ of the text, using images either when a spelling error cropped up, or as a case of "Yes, that was what was really said" and I wanted to prove it.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I know Baldurk has been super busy lately but the archives needs a visual update. It's very difficult to read on a phone, and while that's no problem for me, I like to link lps I like to friends who don't have an SA account.

The LP Archive was what got me into SA in the first place so it would be nice if it we're a little easier to read.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and used some of my money from student government jobs to get a Switch/Mac capture device, and have a rough draft for a first update for Atelier Lydie & Suelle. I was mainly curious if this was an appropriately-sized update to introduce someone to the game, and if I clearly communicate what's going on in this draft; I hope everything else is technically competent.

Ah, and here's a draft for the OP:

Aight so, is this p much good to go?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Aight so, is this p much good to go?

I gave it a quick scan just to check the formatting and it looks fine to me. I’m on mobile right now so the image signing isn’t something I can check, just make sure that everything’s under 900px wide in case you want to get it archived on the LP Archive when you’re done.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I gave it a quick scan just to check the formatting and it looks fine to me. I’m on mobile right now so the image signing isn’t something I can check, just make sure that everything’s under 900px wide in case you want to get it archived on the LP Archive when you’re done.

everything's just under 900px; I made sure to resize em all down 30% or so since the capture software produces pretty sizeable screenshots. Thanks, time to go live!

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
First time LPer here.
I'm thinking of doing a blind translation SSLP of this weird little free mobile game. Mainly story focused.

I've got a rough draft first update right here

Does this look okay?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Is there some reason you seem to have timg'd the pictures? I would just make them medium sized and put them inline

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Please don't make posts entirely consisting of timgs. Full-size those images. (Just find/replace timg with img.)

Also, you don't need to match the game's text boxes with line breaks.

quote:

"Shintaro! How long did you sleep? It's already night. Perhaps going away to study in Tokyo made your body rhythm become somewhat off?

This will do just fine.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

corn in the bible posted:

Is there some reason you seem to have timg'd the pictures? I would just make them medium sized and put them inline

Because otherwise the picture is way too big. Are you saying I should manually edit all the images smaller?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

onsetOutsider posted:

Because otherwise the picture is way too big. Are you saying I should manually edit all the images smaller?

You can batch-resize quickly and painlessly with Irfanview Thumbnails.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

They're not even particularly big by SSLP standards, but you can cut down on size if there isnt going to be much more detail. But I have to ask something: Why the inconsistent image sizes? You seem to manually cropping out each one by hand and jesus thats one way to get severely burnt on an LP. Seconding irfanview. Batch editing is a godsend.

Also consider saving as .png, it save more on space and keeps the quality of the pixel art.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 10, 2018

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Really Pants posted:

Irfanview Thumbnails.

Thanks for the suggestion. I edited a bunch of the images in my test post which I'll finish in a bit. Do they look alright though before I continue?

Also: is it terrible if I continue to manually break the lines? I feel like it might be ugly if the words stick out to the right way past the small images...

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 11, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
that's much better but i'd say about 1.5x wider (maybe 2x)

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

onsetOutsider posted:

Also: is it terrible if I continue to manually break the lines? I feel like it might be ugly if the words stick out to the right way past the small images...

Let your readers decide that with their zoom options on their browser. Manual line breaks will make for inconsistent line lengths between script and commentary, which will also look weird.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

onsetOutsider posted:

Yes. It will create a really bad reading experience on mobile/app - as Trasson said, let folks' browsers/viewers handle line breaks.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

vilkacis posted:

Also, you don't need to match the game's text boxes with line breaks.

I know this is common advice these days, but depending on the game I'm not sure I agree with it.

I split lines on text boxes in my translation LPs very deliberately because Japanese game prose is very often written to be paced around text box breaks. They try very hard to give a rhythm to the dialogue by balancing how much text is in each box. That's why you almost never see a single sentence broken between two text boxes in Japanese games, and why they sometimes have just a very short sentence in a box even though it has room for the entire next sentence from the following box. And then there's people like Shu Takumi who have strange obsessions with compressing their ideas to an extremely constrained character count (seriously, in some early Ace Attorney interviews it sounds like he invented Twitter before it was a thing). There are also some English games that are successful in imitating the style - Undertale hangs a lampshade on it with its bullet pointed dialogue, for example.

This is obviously not every game, and sometimes the writing isn't good enough to keep it even if the game is deliberate with its text boxes, but if you're translating a game for a screenshot LP make a decision based on how it's written and not for automatically conserving vertical space.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
:siren::siren::siren:THE TIME HAS COME TO VOTE!!!!:siren::siren::siren:

As you might recall, we did a fun little Spooky LP Conest for Halloween this year. Well, it's been 12 days since Halloween has past, and now finally, because of one of us has gotten off our asses and put together a poll, it is now time for you to decide which spooky LP was the spookiest of them all! :ghost:

Your options are, in no particular order:

VOTE NOW!

Or vote NO. We don't care!

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 12, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

As you might recall, we did a fun little Spooky LP Conest for Halloween this year. Well, it's been 12 days since Halloween has past, and now finally, because of one of us has gotten off our asses and put together a poll, it is now time for you to decide which spooky LP was the spookiest of them all! :ghost:

VOTE NOW!

Oh dear, thanks to some wonderful forums fuckery and an overzealous adblocker extension I missed one of the original entrants to the contest. So I have redone the poll with all the entries properly listed, so if you voted in the original one be sure to revote in the updated poll.

Sorry for the mixup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

It's been 12 days since Halloween has past, and now finally, because of one of us has gotten off our asses and put together a poll, it is now time for you to decide which spooky LP was the spookiest of them all! :ghost:

VOTE NOW!

Well, we've had quite the response in voting so far. If you haven't voted yet and you still want to, we'll leave the poll open to Friday, at Midnight PST and we'll announce the winner over the weekend.

Once again, thank you greatly to everyone who entered this year and to everyone who's voted. Good going!