Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

SnatchRabbit posted:

Can't you have your graphics card/game do the scaling? My understanding is that most newer engines let you set an output resolution of say 4k and and an internal rendering resolution of 1440p or whatever. Is that not the case?

Yes you can, at least if you have an Nvidia card. It works okay but I find 4K at quite low settings usually looks better than a lower resolution at max settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

TheFluff posted:

Yes you can, at least if you have an Nvidia card. It works okay but I find 4K at quite low settings usually looks better than a lower resolution at max settings.
I swear I've tried letting my Nvidia card/driver handle the upscaling instead of my monitor, and I still ended up with a blurry picture. That was a long time ago, though. I'll have to experiment tonight.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

RoboCop 3 posted:

I swear I've tried letting my Nvidia card/driver handle the upscaling instead of my monitor, and I still ended up with a blurry picture. That was a long time ago, though. I'll have to experiment tonight.

It's not a very impressive scaler, no.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

SnatchRabbit posted:

Can't you have your graphics card/game do the scaling?

Yes, but the only drivers with a integer scaling mode are the nvidia linux ones and even then YMMV.

http://tanalin.com/en/articles/lossless-scaling/

KingEup fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 31, 2018

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Will monitor like AW3418DW work well when set to 2560x1440? I'm debating whether I should get one should they appear on promotions in EU. My problem is GTX1060 6GB, and I'm unlikely to afford both GFX card and a monitor.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yes, no problem, you just get pillarboxes on the sides (or the image gets stretched, your choice). However, DSR doesn't work with either 21:9 or 16:9 out of the box. I've read that you can regedit the driver settings to force it to work but I haven't really played around with it, it doesn't work out of the box by any means.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 31, 2018

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Thanks! Now just to find the monitor below 1000€..

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm gonna sell my XB271HU because I'm getting an AMD graphics card, so the G-sync side is wasted. What's a great 1440p/120+Hz monitor? Free-sync would be cool but also not that important.

I'm really gonna miss G-sync.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

jokes posted:

I'm gonna sell my XB271HU because I'm getting an AMD graphics card, so the G-sync side is wasted. What's a great 1440p/120+Hz monitor? Free-sync would be cool but also not that important.

Nixeus EDG, the only FreeSync panel with adaptive overdrive. Wide sync range, fat bezels to help minimize BLB. Best FreeSync panel on the market.

Or if you want ultrawide, the XR382CQK pretty loving cool. There is also a 144 Hz 1440p IPS ultrawide coming out but I forget the model number.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 31, 2018

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Paul MaudDib posted:

There is also a 144 Hz 1440p IPS ultrawide coming out but I forget the model number.

LG 34GK950F. 1440p 144Hz IPS ultrawide with freesync. Wide color gamut too (~135% sRGB, 98% DCI-P3), but provides an sRGB emulation mode if that's not your thing. There's a G-sync version too which is pretty similar to the AW3418DW. Not really meaningfully better though, unless you really want that wide color gamut.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 31, 2018

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape

jokes posted:

The Nixeus EDG27 is probably your best bet. I own a XF270HU, which is the Freesync version of the XB271HU, and it's also a brilliant monitor. They're out of production, though, so you should go with the Nixeus, which is probably the same panel anyway.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
At work I use 2x Dell 2412M and I want to move to two monitors at home. I like the 16:10 format, 16x9 always looks to narrow for me.

At home I mostly play Destiny 2 and have a GTX 1060 6GB and my current monitor is an ancient Viewsonic 1680x1050 (bought when 1680x1050 was top of the line).

Should I just get the U2412M for my home use ($170 at staples) or is there a some other comparable but better option I should be looking at?

Like if $50 more gets me OLED or something.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I know you said you want dual monitor, but you might like 3440x1440 instead. I used to use two (admittedly lovely) monitors, but i haven't looked back since making the change. The only edge cases that loose out that I can think of are watching a movie while simultaneously playing a full screen game.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Thats why I have 3 monitors myself. Gotta browse forums on the portrait while i game on the 144hz center and watch sports and chat on the 4k to the right

also because i can and might as well

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004
What is the recommended method for using 3 monitors on an Optiplex 7040 with the HDMI and DP monitor ports being used already to drive 2 monitors? I suspect that it is just use a different computer. Of course, this is in the micro form factor.

to answer my own question, I should have looked harder - usb never occurred to me:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=+USB+2.0+to+VGA%2FDVI+%2F+HDMI+

Gallatin fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 1, 2018

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Gallatin posted:

What is the recommended method for using 3 monitors on an Optiplex 7040 with the HDMI and DP monitor ports being used already to drive 2 monitors? I suspect that it is just use a different computer. Of course, this is in the micro form factor.

If it supports DisplayPort 1.2:

https://www.displayport.org/cables/driving-multiple-displays-from-a-single-displayport-output/

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

very nice, thanks

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Murgos posted:

At work I use 2x Dell 2412M and I want to move to two monitors at home. I like the 16:10 format, 16x9 always looks to narrow for me.

At home I mostly play Destiny 2 and have a GTX 1060 6GB and my current monitor is an ancient Viewsonic 1680x1050 (bought when 1680x1050 was top of the line).

Should I just get the U2412M for my home use ($170 at staples) or is there a some other comparable but better option I should be looking at?

If you want 16:10 there are very few options at all these days since that aspect ratio is almost completely dead. The U2412M is probably the best of what's still available, so yeah, go for that. Ultrawide curved displays are a good alternative to dual 16:9/16:10 these days, but those things are expensive and only come in 21:9.

OLED displays marketed and sold as computer monitors is not a product segment that exists in this mortal realm at the moment. Dell made an attempt to sell an OLED monitor the other year but it has since been quietly withdrawn from the market. The reason for this is that OLED is trash, to the point of being unusable for computer monitors. It does exactly one thing better than TFT (contrast, and more specifically black levels) and is worse at literally everything else, sometimes to a downright crippling degree.

Pretty much every single IPS display you buy today (such as the $170 U2412M) comes color- and gamma-calibrated from factory. Sure, it's not always a great calibration, but the fact is that a decent TFT monitor has very accurate color and brightness reproduction out of the box, and it will maintain that calibration for a very long lifespan (10 year old TFT displays in daily use are far from uncommon). OLED displays on the other hand age and lose brightness over time (a few years of use will substantially degrade the display). More importantly, they are also physically unable to maintain color balance over time (since emitters with different colors age and dim at different rates) and thus need to be recalibrated very frequently if you want to maintain color accuracy. OLED displays also suffer badly from image burn-in, and unlike with some older technologies you cannot avoid burn-in by exercising the display - if you have an UI element that always shows up in the same place (e.g. the start menu or your web browser for that matter), it will burn in eventually. There are other less significant issues as well, for example OLED displays are horrifically power inefficient when displaying bright white colors (such as office documents and most webpages), but those are the most important ones.

OLED works for flagship smartphones because the kind of people who buy those replace them every 1-2 years. It also works for TV's, because nobody buys a TV to use static UI elements, and the only thing TV buyers are really looking for is the most eye-searingly oversaturated, turbo-contrasted image they can find. For computer monitors OLED is unusable, and I don't see that changing in the next few years.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 1, 2018

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

CopperHound posted:

I know you said you want dual monitor, but you might like 3440x1440 instead. I used to use two (admittedly lovely) monitors, but i haven't looked back since making the change. The only edge cases that loose out that I can think of are watching a movie while simultaneously playing a full screen game.

Is there a recommended 3440x1440 monitor (or two) I can investigate?

e^^^ Thanks TheFluff, got it! OLED is trash, ptooey, I stomp on it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Murgos posted:

e^^^ Thanks TheFluff, got it! OLED is trash, ptooey, I stomp on it.

you'd better :colbert:
(sorry for the meltdown)

As for IPS 3440x1440 ultrawides, LG has a whole bunch of confusingly similar ones that are probably your best bet for a good but affordable pick. LG tends to have a whole bunch of different SKU's that all use the same panel and only differs in minor details (stand, bezels, color). The LG 34UB88 seems to be the cheapest of the bunch.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Murgos posted:

As noted above, LG makes the most of these; I've got an LG34UC98 at my soon-to-be-former job and it's quite nice, though leaves a bit to be desired as a Thunderbolt dock (presumably not your use case). They have curved and uncurved variants, tho I'm honestly not sure uncurved at this width is worth the cost savings.

I also ran across what looks like a relatively new offering from Samsung, the C34J791, which has Thunderbolt 3 (though I'm still trying to figure out if it can do true multi input PIP and software controlled audio volume). I assume they've got others too that aren't Thunderbolt oriented, but haven't looked.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Let's say I'm not as poor as I think I am and am interested in splashing out a small not very deep puddle. What's the sweet spot where performance is very good but the cost isn't the shrill sound of my wife screaming about the kids college funds.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Murgos posted:

Let's say I'm not as poor as I think I am and am interested in splashing out a small not very deep puddle. What's the sweet spot where performance is very good but the cost isn't the shrill sound of my wife screaming about the kids college funds.

Depends heavily on when your wife will start screaming and what sort of video card you have/will get soon.

If you've got a NVidia card that's a 1070 or better, the 34" Alienware can be had for $850 or less (maybe $750 come BF?) and is an amazing monitor.

Short of that there are a couple of 27" ones in the $300-$500 range that are also quite good.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
$900 is probably more than I want to spend on a monitor. I was thinking 4 to ~600ish. I have a 1060 so maybe I should go back to looking at a two monitor setup?

Play a game at max setting and 60fps on one and internet on the other is what I am thinking.

I’m not super demanding for resolution and am pretty tolerant of frame rate variation.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

my thoughts: if you're in america, buying a monitor 3 weeks before black friday is probably not ideal

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Especially this year, given that we keep seeing freakishly low sales on monitors. Wouldn't be surprised to see some crazy deals come up.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Statutory Ape posted:

my thoughts: if you're in america, buying a monitor 3 weeks before black friday is probably not ideal

Counterpoint, buy it with a credit card that lets you price match against the BF advertising. Get it now, pay the later price. Win-win.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

FunOne posted:

Counterpoint, buy it with a credit card that lets you price match against the BF advertising. Get it now, pay the later price. Win-win.

depending on which card you have you can be limited in two ways on price protection: in dollar value (not likely to happen in this case) and also # of uses per year, just something worth considering

you also have to know which monitors will be on sale on black friday to take advantage of that

so while you're not wrong, i personally would just wait 3 weeks to buy a monitor unless i actually needed one.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I need non hdr 120hz 4k displays.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

TheFluff posted:

If you want 16:10 there are very few options at all these days since that aspect ratio is almost completely dead. The U2412M is probably the best of what's still available, so yeah, go for that. Ultrawide curved displays are a good alternative to dual 16:9/16:10 these days, but those things are expensive and only come in 21:9.

OLED displays marketed and sold as computer monitors is not a product segment that exists in this mortal realm at the moment. Dell made an attempt to sell an OLED monitor the other year but it has since been quietly withdrawn from the market. The reason for this is that OLED is trash, to the point of being unusable for computer monitors. It does exactly one thing better than TFT (contrast, and more specifically black levels) and is worse at literally everything else, sometimes to a downright crippling degree.

Pretty much every single IPS display you buy today (such as the $170 U2412M) comes color- and gamma-calibrated from factory. Sure, it's not always a great calibration, but the fact is that a decent TFT monitor has very accurate color and brightness reproduction out of the box, and it will maintain that calibration for a very long lifespan (10 year old TFT displays in daily use are far from uncommon). OLED displays on the other hand age and lose brightness over time (a few years of use will substantially degrade the display). More importantly, they are also physically unable to maintain color balance over time (since emitters with different colors age and dim at different rates) and thus need to be recalibrated very frequently if you want to maintain color accuracy. OLED displays also suffer badly from image burn-in, and unlike with some older technologies you cannot avoid burn-in by exercising the display - if you have an UI element that always shows up in the same place (e.g. the start menu or your web browser for that matter), it will burn in eventually. There are other less significant issues as well, for example OLED displays are horrifically power inefficient when displaying bright white colors (such as office documents and most webpages), but those are the most important ones.

OLED works for flagship smartphones because the kind of people who buy those replace them every 1-2 years. It also works for TV's, because nobody buys a TV to use static UI elements, and the only thing TV buyers are really looking for is the most eye-searingly oversaturated, turbo-contrasted image they can find. For computer monitors OLED is unusable, and I don't see that changing in the next few years.

OLED contrast ratio advantage is moot anyway over 1:1000 CR IPS on typical PC visual content or in a room with a bit of ambient lighting or brighter.

As a Note 9 user OLED isn't even a big deal IMO, OLED still can't let me see more detail in dark scenes over than LCDs as long as the displays are properly gamma calibrated.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Murgos posted:

You can now buy a 32:10 monitor. It’s the same as 2x 16:10 monitors: https://www.samsung.com/au/business/monitors/c43j89/lc43j890dkexxy/

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

16:9 vs 16:10 is effectively moot when you go above 1200p, e.g. when moving from 1920x1200 to 2560x1440.

Don't worry about aspect ratio, think about vertical pixels.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
XB271HU 27" IPS is $499 at Newegg with promo code EMCEEPR49

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106004&ignorebbr=1

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Refurbed XB271HU finally showed up and goddamn is that a giant screen :stare:

Quick question though, in case anyone's run into it before-Windows and NCP are both only showing up to 85hz instead of 144hz-what could be causing that? Tested it in games and it locks out at 85 as well. G-sync enabled, DP connection using the included cable, running it off a GTX1060 for now.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Have you changed it to 144hz in the monitor settings? Through Nvidia control panel or right click on desktop.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

VelociBacon posted:

Have you changed it to 144hz in the monitor settings? Through Nvidia control panel or right click on desktop.

Yup. Both Windows monitor settings and NvCP are showing up to 85hz, no option for 144.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Just to get the obvious out of the way, are you using an HDMI cable? You won't get the 144Hz rate unless you're on a DisplayPort cable.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

emocrat posted:

XB271HU 27" IPS is $499 at Newegg with promo code EMCEEPR49

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106004&ignorebbr=1

what is newegg's return/restocking and dead pixel policy nowadays?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Just to get the obvious out of the way, are you using an HDMI cable? You won't get the 144Hz rate unless you're on a DisplayPort cable.

Both screens (the XB and a dell 1080/60) on DisplayPort, there were two DP cables included with the monitor, both showing 85hz max.

E2: Welp. Switched which monitor is hooked up to which DP out on the GPU and it works now. No idea why since they're all supposed to be DP1.4, but whatever, it's all good.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Strong Sauce posted:

what is newegg's return/restocking and dead pixel policy nowadays?

8 pixels, 30-days. 15% restock fee on opened/non-defective.

And for Acer's warranty, it sounds like 4 pixels, or one in the central area is the rule.

But that leads me to ask, are bad pixels still a big thing? I can't recall the last time I've seen a stuck bright or obvious dead pixels on a new display while janitoring but I mainly touch Dell and Apple displays.