Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

fr0id posted:

Going on what others have said, it seems like there’s a chunk of folks who flat out equate the 50s aesthetic with oppression.

I'd say it's more that the Idealized American 1950s has often a thing which is mythologized by the sorts of people who think the world would be so much better if only we returned to these days of simple American values, conveniently ignoring that the 50s weren't really all that ideal if you were the wrong sort of person (i.e. not white and male). As Mors Rattus said, it's less about the 50s in and of themselves as much as the fact that the 50s are often used by lovely people as a kind of dogwhistle. Like, there's a reason you often see this sort of period aesthetic used to portray things which have a veneer of creepy pleasantness masking deeper troubles underneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Kai Tave posted:

Like, there's a reason you often see this sort of period aesthetic used to portray things which have a veneer of creepy pleasantness masking deeper troubles underneath.

Also, the absolute first thing that comes to mind when you bring up a situation with both pleasant 1950's Americana and a dead high-schooler that you slowly learn about their secrets is Twin Peaks. And David Lynch was hip-deep in the '50s Americana being a veneer over oppressive and repressive troubles.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
For the record I pledged to Americana and Sandy Pug's handled things well for my own personal tastes but at the same time I also think it's perfectly fine for someone else to decide that they aren't interested in a game of idealized 1950s Americana, even with elves and orcs, because it's something that's been irrevocably soured for them (and I acknowledge that I'm someone for whom it hasn't been).

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Kai Tave posted:

For the record I pledged to Americana and Sandy Pug's handled things well for my own personal tastes but at the same time I also think it's perfectly fine for someone else to decide that they aren't interested in a game of idealized 1950s Americana, even with elves and orcs, because it's something that's been irrevocably soured for them (and I acknowledge that I'm someone for whom it hasn't been).

I'm ok if someone doesn't like a thing because it brings up negative feelings for them. Cannot grok the concept of fantasy authors having a moral obligation to address the horror of the time period they are fantasizing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mugaaz posted:

I'm ok if someone doesn't like a thing because it brings up negative feelings for them. Cannot grok the concept of fantasy authors having a moral obligation to address the horror of the time period they are fantasizing.

I mean a lot of RPGs have been pretty bad about even attempting to address stuff like this in historical-adjacent settings in the past. Deadlands is the classic example of a game that wants to plunk its setting smack down in the middle of a supernaturally-extended American Civil War and wild west extravaganza, while pretty much just sort of shrugging its shoulders when the issue of slavery arises which seems like it might be kind of a big deal to just be glossing over, to put it mildly.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I mean a lot of RPGs have been pretty bad about even attempting to address stuff like this in historical-adjacent settings in the past. Deadlands is the classic example of a game that wants to plunk its setting smack down in the middle of a supernaturally-extended American Civil War and wild west extravaganza, while pretty much just sort of shrugging its shoulders when the issue of slavery arises which seems like it might be kind of a big deal to just be glossing over, to put it mildly.

I don't know that game, but why is is that a big deal though? If you want to live out a fantasy in an fantasized version of the civil war, then go for it and have fun. It is a supernatural fantasy version of the civil war right? Unless it is glorifying slavery, I don't see the problem. I'd take it a bit further. Trying to sorta kinda deal with the horrors of slavery in your fantasy game about wizards casting spells in the civil war is an insanely stupid thing to attempt.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Was Deadlands among the collection that dredged up lurking Lost Cause narratives, like "the South wasn't so bad" and "we would have freed the slaves anyway"? Or did they just play into the Noble Savage archetype? ("Just") I know Broncosaurus Rex definitely paid attention to the Lost Cause, which...:ughh:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I want a game that does dig happily into the Lost Cause narratives, but only so that you get to shoot Jubal A. Early for talkin' poo poo and distorting the historical record for decades to come.

Basically give me Time-Travelling Murder-Historian, the Game, where you just go around shooting the people responsible for Bad History in the face.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mugaaz posted:

I don't know that game, but why is is that a big deal though?

Because just glossing over slavery in American history with a shrug is a thing a lot of real world racist shitheads do all the time, I'm not really sure why it's a wild conceptual leap to figure out why someone might look askance at an elfgame opting to do the same thing. "Well magic happened so ~waves hands~" is a pretty lazy patch on it. You keep asking "why is this a big deal?" over and over when the answer's been explained pretty thoroughly by this point so I'm not sure what else you're looking to get out of this.

NGDBSS posted:

Was Deadlands among the collection that dredged up lurking Lost Cause narratives, like "the South wasn't so bad" and "we would have freed the slaves anyway"? Or did they just play into the Noble Savage archetype?

Deadlands, at least its original incarnation, pretty much just goes "yeah the Confederacy frees all their slaves because the British gave them a bunch of money and promises of support or something" and just kind of shoves it in a corner out of sight.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
The only good alt-history version of the Confederacy is the one in Kerberos Club, where Jefferson Davis et al turn to Cthulhu worship to keep the war going and there's a sidebar that explicitly says "the Confederates are monsters, they exist in the setting purely to have bad guys the PCs can mow down en masse without feeling morally conflicted about it, like Nazis in pulp-era games."

Unsurprisingly, that sidebar pissed off almost as many nerds as the "men ride sidesaddle" bit in Reign.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

One good minis kickstarter, and one terrible one.

Badgers and Burrows is a medieval fantasy wargame with anthropomorphic animals. The main draw for me is the miniatures. I'm not sure I'll ever play the game, but I really want to paint those badgers.

From a previous round of kickstarter, squirrel knight is cute as hell.

Chronicles of Run is a bunch of miniatures with a terrible name and some sort of weird hex-based card game that doesn't even use the miniatures. Said miniatures seem to be a goblin, three burly men with beards and 256183 women with their tits out.

Combat bikinis

They also do what they unironically refer to as busts of the miniatures.

e: their next stretch goal is for a "sticky screen cleaner". I don't know if that's deliberate or just dumb.

e2: they've never commented on the reason for the screen cleaner, either when they posted it or when backers repeatedly asked "what the gently caress"? I'm tending towards them taking the piss out of their customers.

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 2, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

Deadlands, at least its original incarnation, pretty much just goes "yeah the Confederacy frees all their slaves because the British gave them a bunch of money and promises of support or something" and just kind of shoves it in a corner out of sight.

Although fan attempts to solve the problem have also been somewhat lacking. Elsewhere somebody made a thread that a lot of folks were very proud of wherein the Confederacy was now a blasted hellscape that nobody went to. They were all just terribly pleased by this 'elegant' solution. So in THIS Deadlands, they didn't free the slaves, they just killed them all. Progress...?

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 2, 2018

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Just gonna post this, as it seems relevant to the thread, and I was impressed by it when I loaded up a free copy of Kids on Bikes.

quote:

Before starting to create your characters, you and the gamemaster (GM) should address the kinds of things that the players want to see in the game and the things they don’t want to see. You’ll already have agreed on the overall tone you want the game to have, but it’s important to know what narrative elements might upset players so the group can avoid them. Doing so will make the game more enjoyable for everyone. To start this process, the GM will ask whether the players would like to discuss these boundaries or simply give the GM lists.

If players agree to have a discussion, everyone will talk about what they’re okay with and what they want to avoid. During this discussion, don’t ask others to explain why they don’t want certain elements in the game; take their requests at face value and respect them. However, do feel free to ask for clarification.

If players would rather give the GM lists, they’ll each write down the topics they’d like to avoid, and the GM will compile that list anonymously. As with the other method, there shouldn’t be discussion of why players don’t want to address certain topics.

In addition to the group’s comfort, another factor to consider while establishing boundaries is where you’re playing the game. If you’re playing in the privacy of your own home or in a conference room at a convention, you only need to consider the players’ preferences.

However, if you’re in a public place, if you’re around younger people, or if there are other factors beyond the preferences of the group, you should consider them when establishing boundaries. In general, you should be playing the game in a way that will be comfortable for everyone who may hear it. For example, your group may be comfortable addressing issues of race in ’50s suburbia — but if you’re in public, everyone who overhears you might not be. Try to keep this in mind and be respectful to anyone who might overhear your game.

If, during the game, someone accidentally brings up one of the topics that should be avoided — or if anything that is part of the story is making you uncomfortable — simply knock quickly and lightly on the table. Whoever is currently narrating should simply rewind and proceed down a different path. There is no need to discuss your request to go in a different direction; the group will just move on with the story in another direction.

I backed Americana, and I'm looking forward to playing it with queer gaming friends.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ratoslov posted:

Also, the absolute first thing that comes to mind when you bring up a situation with both pleasant 1950's Americana and a dead high-schooler that you slowly learn about their secrets is Twin Peaks. And David Lynch was hip-deep in the '50s Americana being a veneer over oppressive and repressive troubles.

The first thing that comes to my mind when you bring up idealisation of 50s America is Fallout.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Loomer posted:

Basically give me Time-Travelling Murder-Historian, the Game, where you just go around shooting the people responsible for Bad History in the face.

This would make for a fascinating alternate campaign in Time Master (an RPG which, as far as I know, I'm the only person who has even thought about in 30 years), a rogue group of travelers who don't give a poo poo about the Time War and just want to fix history even if it destroys the world they came from.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jedit posted:

The first thing that comes to my mind when you bring up idealisation of 50s America is Fallout.

Same, but "There Will Come Soft Rains" by Ray Bradbury

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

You seem bitter about people correctly calling you a reactionary rear end in a top hat.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mirage posted:

This would make for a fascinating alternate campaign in Time Master (an RPG which, as far as I know, I'm the only person who has even thought about in 30 years), a rogue group of travelers who don't give a poo poo about the Time War and just want to fix history even if it destroys the world they came from.

That game had a supplement called Timetricks, which has a really good take on using time travel in RPGs. Nobody ever did an F&F of Time Master, but I'll have to add Timetricks to the list of things to maybe do someday.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I empathize with the feeling that sanitizing this part of history could just rub someone the wrong way but would feel totally fine and ok to others. I remember posting the same thing about sanitized pirates a few years ago and hoo boy did people jump down my throat over it. No amount of "I don't care if you guys play silly pirates. It's just something I don't like for myself," would satisfy people. Without exaggeration, one person responded by posting a story of a pirate who raided a village and took slaves, but he didn't let the crew rape them, and I guess I was supposed to be impressed by the fact that the slaver wasn't also a rapist?

It's fine to just not want to play some historical settings because of things like that. It's also fine to feel that for you, you'd rather have a setting that addresses certain issues rather than elides them. That doesn't make it an "oppression simulator." At the same time, you need to be cognizant that for some people, a setting that addresses those issues will feel like an oppression simulator to them. And so people have different tastes and different things that personally bother them. Some people want to play Poison'd and some people want to play Pirates of the Caribbean, and both are fine. The amount of defensive vitriol people who want to play in the sanitized versions have for the people who are put off by them or who prefer the versions that keep the bad stuff intact is weird to me. It's okay if someone doesn't like the same game as you! It's even okay if they have a good reason for it! It doesn't make you a bad person to like a piece of media that other people find problematic.

Another personal example: in Night Witches, the game talks about how to handle racism and sexism and stuff because those were obviously present and important in that time period. But it says nothing about how to handle the fact that you are committing war crimes basically for the whole game. As someone whose great-uncle died when allies on the eastern front bombed a hospital, that is something I am sensitive to. I don't think I would be able to engage in the game in the way it was intended (I'm pretty sure that bringing up the babies you are killing is not what is intended). I don't have any problem at all with other people playing Night Witches. I just don't want to play myself because the war crimes it sanitizes are hard for me personally to overlook.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know it's not super-popular around here, but a new edition of Savage Worlds is being kickstarted. Sadly, it looks like they're not doing the $10 price point anymore.

Wow, that's a lot of stretch goals.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I’m pretty sure that, proportionally, the historical figures that were actually part of the Night Witches night bombing squadron, which mostly launched nuisance raids which had almost negligible impact in antequated biplanes with relatively tiny payloads, and were mostly used for the psychologogical impact of keeping nazis awake at night, did not participate in any meaningful capacity in what could be called “war crimes” when taking into consideration everything the Nazis did, actions by soviet front line soldiers once they got to Germany, the Allied bombing of Germany, unrestricted submarine campaigns on both sides, he firebombing of Japan or the dropping of the nukes, to just give some other examples.

I can understand not wanting to take part in games in wargames at all for the reasons you have given, and I don’t think personal reasons such as those can be dismissed, and it is a valid complaint when taking the subject of games that have a theme of a real life war, but to say that, specifically the night witches are to be condemned for war crimes seem weird to me.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Wolfsbane posted:

Badgers and Burrows is a medieval fantasy wargame with anthropomorphic animals. The main draw for me is the miniatures. I'm not sure I'll ever play the game, but I really want to paint those badgers.

From a previous round of kickstarter, squirrel knight is cute as hell.

Coupled with their older campaign models, which appear to be available piecemeal on their website, these would be awesome to bling out a copy of Root (if the included wooden meeples weren't already so goddamn adorable).

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Jimbozig posted:

The amount of defensive vitriol people who want to play in the sanitized versions have for the people who are put off by them or who prefer the versions that keep the bad stuff intact is weird to me. It's okay if someone doesn't like the same game as you! It's even okay if they have a good reason for it! It doesn't make you a bad person to like a piece of media that other people find problematic.

I don't think many people would have reacted, without exactly one line from exactly one post:

quote:

So, like, if you can enjoy playing in Ersatz Leave It To Beaver Land without it always reminding you of the bad poo poo, more power to you, I guess?

Intentionally judgmental or not, I think that wording registered as condescending to people (including me) who do not have the same issues with the game.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I guess I'll go all in on Double Dragon the boardgame...(Street Masters)

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

djfooboo posted:

I guess I'll go all in on Double Dragon the boardgame...(Street Masters)

Same! Looks cool, love mini games and very little overlap with other stuff I have.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wolfsbane posted:

Chronicles of Run is a bunch of miniatures with a terrible name and some sort of weird hex-based card game that doesn't even use the miniatures. Said miniatures seem to be a goblin, three burly men with beards and 256183 women with their tits out.

Combat bikinis

This one is pretty weird to me, Scale 75 makes some good stuff, but aside from the succubus the women look almost identical. Like, you could paint them to look like the same woman in a bunch of slightly different getups. The busts anyway.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

The lion sculpt has a nice set of testicles. +1

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Tekopo posted:

I’m pretty sure that, proportionally, the historical figures that were actually part of the Night Witches night bombing squadron, which mostly launched nuisance raids which had almost negligible impact in antequated biplanes with relatively tiny payloads, and were mostly used for the psychologogical impact of keeping nazis awake at night, did not participate in any meaningful capacity in what could be called “war crimes” when taking into consideration everything the Nazis did, actions by soviet front line soldiers once they got to Germany, the Allied bombing of Germany, unrestricted submarine campaigns on both sides, he firebombing of Japan or the dropping of the nukes, to just give some other examples.
I'm not an expert by any means, but the missions in the book have you bombing villages at night. Presumably, some of those bombs are falling on civilians. I absolutely believe the facts that the Night Witches were mostly ineffective and that there were many far worse war crimes. But it's still distasteful to put myself in the head of someone dropping bombs on babies, even amid all the far greater horror of that war and that front.

quote:

I can understand not wanting to take part in games in wargames at all for the reasons you have given, and I don’t think personal reasons such as those can be dismissed, and it is a valid complaint when taking the subject of games that have a theme of a real life war, but to say that, specifically the night witches are to be condemned for war crimes seem weird to me.

Actually, for whatever reason wargames are totally fine. Pushing plastic tanks around a map is very abstracted from the horrors of war. Roleplaying is a different story for me. It's certainly not limited to Night Witches specifically. I'd feel that way about roleplaying any bomber on any side of that war, or a concentration camp guard, or a Japanese soldier in Nanjing, or etc etc. I just mentioned it as an example. I haven't seen any roleplaying games about those other things.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Another personal example: in Night Witches, the game talks about how to handle racism and sexism and stuff because those were obviously present and important in that time period. But it says nothing about how to handle the fact that you are committing war crimes basically for the whole game. As someone whose great-uncle died when allies on the eastern front bombed a hospital, that is something I am sensitive to. I don't think I would be able to engage in the game in the way it was intended (I'm pretty sure that bringing up the babies you are killing is not what is intended).

Lmao

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Much like the pirate thing, this is way less about being offended about being forced to square a moral circle and more your bad grasp of these moments in history.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

bbcisdabomb posted:

Wow, that's a lot of stretch goals.
They've still hit most of them, though.

I do like that one of the stretch goals was "these bits that were originally only for pledges of $X or above will now be given to all pledge levels".

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I can't play any of these WW2 games either to be honest, my granddaddy was in the SS and it's just a shame what happened with the whole Nuremberg thing.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

I'm not an expert by any means, but the missions in the book have you bombing villages at night. Presumably, some of those bombs are falling on civilians. I absolutely believe the facts that the Night Witches were mostly ineffective and that there were many far worse war crimes. But it's still distasteful to put myself in the head of someone dropping bombs on babies, even amid all the far greater horror of that war and that front.
Don't worry, 80% of the campaign is fought in Russia, so those potential babies, civilians and women would have already been rounded up, driven off or killed by germans. So the likelihood of dropping bombs on actual babies that haven't been killed already is negligible. Also, specifically, the Night Witches were a tactical bomber unit (hence they are used to bomb enemy units on a tactical scale, not the large-scale strategic bombing of civilians). The aforementioned villages would have been close to the front (because the biplanes have quite short range) and would have been filled with Wehrmacht, because that's the direct task of precision bombing unit. I think you are misunderstanding the role of tactical and strategical air forces in World War II: each has completely different MOs and targets. I don't think it's fair to pin the Night Witches with hypothetical war crimes that they could have potentially committed in the course of tactical bombing missions that primarily target Germans, since otherwise you could extend the same to such a wide swathe of combatants that foot soldiers firing at a house containing potential civilians in the middle of a battle are now committing war crimes as well.

quote:

Actually, for whatever reason wargames are totally fine. Pushing plastic tanks around a map is very abstracted from the horrors of war. Roleplaying is a different story for me. It's certainly not limited to Night Witches specifically. I'd feel that way about roleplaying any bomber on any side of that war, or a concentration camp guard, or a Japanese soldier in Nanjing, or etc etc. I just mentioned it as an example. I haven't seen any roleplaying games about those other things.
I think actually that wargames are more troubling, because they are much more insidious in their glorification of war precisely because you don't have to worry about the human aspect, and hence they lead to a glorification of war by the very same players that play them. It's something that I've personally had to struggle with and something that can be an issue within the wargaming community.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I don't know a lot about WWII gaming because it doesn't really interest me that much, but surely there have to be other games that let you play bomber crews, right?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

I don't know a lot about WWII gaming because it doesn't really interest me that much, but surely there have to be other games that let you play bomber crews, right?
In terms of RPGs it's pretty slim pickings, because there aren't many interesting aspects to actually flying bombing units from a roleplaying perspective (this, by the way, is actually one of the ways that Night Witches fails and makes it a badly constructed game, since the bombing missions within the game are very rote, monotonous and extremely repetitive). In terms of wargames, both board and minis, there are plenty of games.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Tekopo posted:

I think actually that wargames are more troubling, because they are much more insidious in their glorification of war precisely because you don't have to worry about the human aspect, and hence they lead to a glorification of war by the very same players that play them. It's something that I've personally had to struggle with and something that can be an issue within the wargaming community.

Yeah, 100%. What makes them more insidious is exactly the same thing that makes them less troubling on a gut level.

As for the other stuff you said, thanks for the info. The fact that many of the civilians would be gone does help a bit. The fact that the bombings occurred in Russian territory doesn't make any difference in and of itself - it's not like I value Russian civilians any less than Polish ones or whoever. It's not just babies I care about either - bombing hospitals is pretty awful even if some of the people in the hospital are Nazis and deserve it. And there were certainly hospitals very close to the front, including in those villages mostly full of Wehrmacht, no? But really, it's more of a gut revulsion than anything I can logically talk myself out of.

Like, you could explain that this one particular Nazi prison camp was mostly for allied POWs and didn't kill any Jews and only committed a scant few crimes against humanity relative to other camps, and I'd still feel like I didn't want to roleplay a guard there.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, 100%. What makes them more insidious is exactly the same thing that makes them less troubling on a gut level.

As for the other stuff you said, thanks for the info. The fact that many of the civilians would be gone does help a bit. The fact that the bombings occurred in Russian territory doesn't make any difference in and of itself - it's not like I value Russian civilians any less than Polish ones or whoever. It's not just babies I care about either - bombing hospitals is pretty awful even if some of the people in the hospital are Nazis and deserve it. And there were certainly hospitals very close to the front, including in those villages mostly full of Wehrmacht, no? But really, it's more of a gut revulsion than anything I can logically talk myself out of.
I don't really want to continue this discussion since this is off topic now, if you want to discuss this further PM me. I think it's fine to have revulsion towards air bombing, although honestly the revulsion is more properly directed towards strategic rather than tactical bombing, which has pretty much all of the war crimes you mentioned and much more, and was indulged by pretty much every single side of the conflict with no real exception.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

If you have an objection (which you're totally entitled to have) to playing people in biplanes hand-dropping bombs onto railways and munitions factories, I don't think playing a game where you fly a B-17 over Dresden is going to be less morally objectionable.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 3, 2018

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Lemon-Lime posted:

If you have an objection (which you're totally entitled to have) to playing people in biplanes hand-dropping bombs onto railways and munitions factories, I don't think playing a game where you fly a B-17 over Dresden is going to be less morally objectionable.

Oh, sure, I think that's a reasonable objection to have. My post was more "wait, is Night Witches really the first/only game in this position? This seems like it'd have to have been done before. Huh."

On that subject, and getting back on topic, does anyone have any info on Flying Circus? I know backer emails have indicated it's still in the works and being refined, but I recall some people being more in the loop on the dev process. That game seems like it's likely to succeed in ways Night Witches failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Antivehicular posted:

Oh, sure, I think that's a reasonable objection to have. My post was more "wait, is Night Witches really the first/only game in this position? This seems like it'd have to have been done before. Huh."

On that subject, and getting back on topic, does anyone have any info on Flying Circus? I know backer emails have indicated it's still in the works and being refined, but I recall some people being more in the loop on the dev process. That game seems like it's likely to succeed in ways Night Witches failed.

It's still in development but it seems like more info gets posted to the creator's twitter than the Kickstarter page.