Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
You might think I'm trolling but I'm not, I genuinely don't like or care for his wacky all caps dialogue and HURR HURR style humour, I do actually like the game and finished my first full run but he's done for next time around.

I'm still torn on Flowey as well, pretty amusing but very clear youtube top 10 SCARIEST CHARACTERS EVER bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

You might think I'm trolling but I'm not, I genuinely don't like or care for his wacky all caps dialogue and HURR HURR style humour, I do actually like the game and finished my first full run but he's done for next time around.

I'm still torn on Flowey as well, pretty amusing but very clear youtube top 10 SCARIEST CHARACTERS EVER bait.

Why would you be trolling? If you were trying to antagonize, you'd have something to say about Deltarune or something. Not everyone's gonna like every character. It's fine.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
You're definitely allowed to not like stuff in the PYF dragging this game down thread, yeah

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I should give undertale a shot someday. I grabbed it after all the hype but the initial areas didn't really hook me

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Len posted:

I should give undertale a shot someday. I grabbed it after all the hype but the initial areas didn't really hook me

I gave it a whirl and it certainly is ...different. Probably quit in the middle of the tutorial dungeon or something, but mostly just thought "is this thing starting or not" or that I really wasn't "getting" it.

Didn't really play enough to say it is overhyped, but I really did not care for it and am just amazed that it won more or less every game design prize it was eligible for.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Len posted:

I don't get the hype at all. The writing is poor and the gameplay is pretty bland.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

I got Undertale the other day and I think Papyrus is an unfunny piece of poo poo who ruins every scene he's in, Sans is alright though, he's chill.

Well yeah, Sans IS Ness after all.

Nostradingus posted:

I don't get the hype at all. The writing is poor and the gameplay is pretty bland.

Me, first hour of playing: Haha, these jokes are pretty clever

Me, tenth hour of playing: Oh my god toby fox SHUT THE gently caress UP ALREADY

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Len posted:

How far did you make it before finally tapping out?

I'm fairly sure the ruins were the demo area and sadly didn't really get touched up after the rest of the game got finished. Also they might have a higher enemy encounter rate than the rest of the game too?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I feel like Undertale is a good example of a game where if you go in with this attitude of 'okay game, I've heard a ton about you, sho wme something' you're going to be disappointed. It seems like the game that will just blow you away if you try and meet it halfway and go in ready to be engaged, but if you're a bit standoffish toward the game you'll get nothing.

I still say it's one of the best games I've ever played but I can totally understand how it just doesn't click for some people. It's offering a very particular experience, not just a general interest thing.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I did find Temmie Village earlier in Undertale and yes very funny toby fox I too remember lolcats.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

I did find Temmie Village earlier in Undertale and yes very funny toby fox I too remember lolcats.

Yeah, this was my problem with it. The game is just screaming "hey, isn't this so kooky???" the whole time. It's like he saw the endearing low key weirdness of earthbound and tried to recreate it with memes and nonstop fourth wall breaking

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Undertale's first hour is super rough and would rightly scare anyone away. It's bad garbage Toby should have touched up as his project got rolling.

Everything after that is a beautiful masterwork imo, but not everything is going to be for every player.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I finished the Sans and Papyrus bit but what turned me off was the bit where every room had a puzzle. Felt like some terrible padding.

I also couldn't see myself doing either the Pacifist or Genocide paths as both of them sounded like a pain in the rear end where I would either be too weak to survive taking a hit during most battles or run around in the same room waiting for random battles to pop in.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Samuringa posted:

I finished the Sans and Papyrus bit but what turned me off was the bit where every room had a puzzle. Felt like some terrible padding.

I also couldn't see myself doing either the Pacifist or Genocide paths as both of them sounded like a pain in the rear end where I would either be too weak to survive taking a hit during most battles or run around in the same room waiting for random battles to pop in.

Well, I'm pretty sure every attack in the game can be dodged, so it's a matter of not being hit. Sure, you might die once or twice, but you get better at it.

Plus even the later battles don't do that much damage to you.

That, and the whole point of the Genocide route is that running around in the same room simply because you want to murder everyone is indicative of the kind of player you are - if your idea of fun isn't striving to kill absolutely everything, then the run isn't for you.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Pacifist run is super easy.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah my first run was a pacifist run and didn't have any problems till I hit Mettatron EX which is virtually end game.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

True pacificst run is the only valid run. Things that are somewhere in the middle where you kill some stuff but not others are just playing the game 'wrong' by not engaging with the story (note: you can't actually play the game wrong but you know what I mean). The genocide run is more a meta commentary about the way people play games and a gimmick at best, Undertale isn't really about moral decisions.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I tried UnderTale once, and gave up when it wanted me to do it's weird, shmupy combat only on my arrow keys with no option to rebind controls.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Agent355 posted:

True pacificst run is the only valid run. Things that are somewhere in the middle where you kill some stuff but not others are just playing the game 'wrong' by not engaging with the story (note: you can't actually play the game wrong but you know what I mean). The genocide run is more a meta commentary about the way people play games and a gimmick at best, Undertale isn't really about moral decisions.
Perhaps Undertale isn't coherent enough to be about anything.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Perhaps Undertale isn't coherent enough to be about anything.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it. I find it very satisfying and I hope you have other things which bring joy to your life. Truly we are all different people living on a rock in space.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Agent355 posted:

I'd rather just play something else that doesn't chastise me for not doing things the way it wanted to :shrug:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i never got the undertale chastises you for playing a certain way vibe. i did whatever i wanted when i wanted to. sometimes certain characters chastised me because i murdered their friends. that makes sense in universe though.

i dug the postmodernism though. Lisa came out around the same time, yeah? i think i dig that one more because of its apocalyptic aesthetic, but Undertale was solid

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Agent355 posted:

This is a super weird stance to take. If you go into the game without ever having heard about there being a Genocide and a Pacifist route, you'll probably kill SOME things. Also, if you're like me, and want to see where the game is going and think the jokes are funny but doesn't care about the characters because after all, the game keeps being meta so it's not super deeply immersive anyway?

The game doesn't need to be "about" something to allow it, and the decisions don't need to be "moral". I killed Undyne because she kept annoying me with her spears and I wanted to see what happened, and there were some gloriously awkward "can't wait to tell Undyne this" moments afterwards. I didn't kill Papyrus because he doesn't annoy me.

Eventually I might replay the game doing either a kill all or a kill none run, I don't know. Or I won't replay it. But only on a replay could a player without the internet having flooded itself with Undertale stuff be expected to try for either of the extreme routes - and on a replay, you won't engage with a story you already know. No?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
The new Diablo game is a mobile game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Evilreaver posted:

Undertale's first hour is super rough and would rightly scare anyone away. It's bad garbage Toby should have touched up as his project got rolling.

Everything after that is a beautiful masterwork imo, but not everything is going to be for every player.

The problem is it's a three hour game unless you do the genocide route, so a third of it is rough/bad. I thought it was alright in the end but I'm not a huge fan of the actual gameplay of it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ShootaBoy posted:

I tried UnderTale once, and gave up when it wanted me to do it's weird, shmupy combat only on my arrow keys with no option to rebind controls.

Yeah the arrow keys thing was the biggest turn off for me. I did read the LP in the archive though so it balanced out

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
New thing dragging Skyrim down: I can't help but wonder, especially since folks have been talking about the Legacy of Kain games lately, if chatty dragon Paarthunax (who is apparently Charles loving Martinet???) would've been voiced by Tony Jay. :(

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

it really annoys me when i run out of ammo in a shooter game and it has to finish the reload animation before i can change weapons

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ShootaBoy posted:

Also while I get the music is something a lot of people like the fact I couldn't turn it off was one of the many reasons I bounced hard off the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Booted up Battlefied One for the first time in a year and have 35 standard loot boxes and about a dozen top tier loot boxes and a few middle ones. Theres no way to open them in bulk and a cutscene has to start when you open each one so it was around a hundred rapid fire taps of the accept button to burn down a stack that seemed to consist entirely of various wood varnishes for guns.

Im not even really complaining theres no bulk open, Im more complaining because it gave me enough time to really ponder the fact there is more than one sad soul out there who spent real money on those boxes.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

cuntman.net posted:

it really annoys me when i run out of ammo in a shooter game and it has to finish the reload animation before i can change weapons

I think it was Titanfall 2 where the characters would carry on from where they stopped during the reload animation if you interrupted it by using an ability or threw a grenade or something

Warframe has some weapons with pretty lengthy reload times but you can do it while double-jumping or sliding or wall running/climbing so it is less annoying.

I was pretty disappointed with Destiny 2 when anything would stop my reloading animation.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

cuntman.net posted:

Tiny niggle in MGSV is that when reloading a partially empty gun, Faked Snake'll still work the bolt even though the ammo counter shows you have a full magazine plus one in the chamber. Working the bolt would eject the chambered round. What's really strange is that the MGS series has been really good about gun-handling details up until now, there's even a cutscene in MGS3 where Ocelot jams his gun by working the slide after reloading an only partially-empty gun.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Drunken Baker posted:

gently caress, you're all making me want to play ESO.

Game wins the award for most I've paid (full price) for a game that I've played the least before shelving it forever (about 20 minutes, barely left the tutorial area)

I'm sure it's fine if you like MMOs but I had it sold to be as a game that even mainline Elder Scrolls fans could enjoy solo and loving lol at that

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I didn't like that Skyrim's companions questline only let's you do one radiant side quest before you're forced to do the proving. That's way too quick. One of my characters only had to win a fist fight with Danica Purespring. It certainly made up for it's lack of heroism with geographical convenience. It might have made more sense if they made you do one quest of each type before trusting you with something more important or at least given you the option of doing more sidequests.

Another thing dragging Skyrim down is my PC not working so I can't play it :(

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Destiny 2 was a mediocre game but $free is worth grabbing it again for the PC.....or it would be, if I could actually connect and play instead of getting continual "buffalo" errors.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
A few more Skyrim grouches:

1) An integral main story cutscene (the flashback to Alduin's first defeat) was just utterly broken, necessitating either magic rain dance bullshit that may or may not work or once again using the console to unbork it. I was a little more forgiving with the Windhelm murder mystery quest because it was a fussy bit of side content but otherwise optional. gently caress having the main quest break down like this though.

2) As part of the main quest you have to go find an Elder Scroll :monocle: (which involves gaining access to a really drat cool Dwarven undercity/cavern) and apparently Elder Scrolls are literally not to be taken lightly because the thing is 20 pounds. But okay, it's not that big of a deal, you can sell it off to the mage college's librarian to free up that inventory space. But wait, you'll need to buy it back off of him during the Dawnguard content...and then you can't sell it back to him a second time, because ??? So basically you have to choose between temporarily killing 20 carry weight for a decent while or getting it back for the moment but then permanently losing it later. Stupid.

3) I forgot that the final showdown with Alduin rather infamously doesn't scale very well. Granted, my character is a big strong orc who's gone around smashing everything with a big gently caress-off hammer and came wearing Dragonbone gear so it's not like it was out of character to have her lay the smackdown on him with ease, but it still sapped some of the drama from traveling to Basically Valhalla to fight an all-powerful, soul-eating, world-ending, time-displaced super dragon.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Arkham Origins has an incredibly sloppy challenge system. Basically there are 4 challenge-types with 15 tiers each. Each time you complete a tier you can complete the next one, and only the next one. If you stop a crime in every district before getting the challenge to do so, then it won't count your progress. What's worse is that you can completely miss out on the Stealth challenges because you have to clear out Predator rooms in a certain way, and Predator rooms do not reset, so gently caress you and go to NG+. I don't know why they could just let retry bosses and predator-rooms using your bat-computer.

What's galling is that Arkham City had a similar system except nothing was missable and nothing was tiered.

I don't know why all the skills in the tree are gated in a stupid way. Why do I have to own the glue-grenade before I can do silent takedowns quicker?

I appreciate that they let you fight Deathstroke one-on-one but I wish I didn't have learn a completely new set of rules just for this fight alone.

I did think it was funny how important the Electrocutioner is to the plot.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Nov 3, 2018

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

skyrim vr is awesome but im running way too many mods and now npcs are doing the 'spin in circles/float across the floor' glitch and i really dont want to disable my mods one at a time to figure out whats causing the problem which for all i know isnt even caused by mods

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

2) As part of the main quest you have to go find an Elder Scroll :monocle: (which involves gaining access to a really drat cool Dwarven undercity/cavern) and apparently Elder Scrolls are literally not to be taken lightly because the thing is 20 pounds. But okay, it's not that big of a deal, you can sell it off to the mage college's librarian to free up that inventory space. But wait, you'll need to buy it back off of him during the Dawnguard content...and then you can't sell it back to him a second time, because ??? So basically you have to choose between temporarily killing 20 carry weight for a decent while or getting it back for the moment but then permanently losing it later. Stupid.

You can give it to the Moth Priest after Dawnguard is over, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Byzantine posted:

You can give it to the Moth Priest after Dawnguard is over, iirc.

You can sell him the two Dawnguard-specific Elder Scrolls, but the one from the original game can only be sold off to the librarian and only once.