Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

other people posted:

Also, speaking of hearing, I must be an old man because with our current TV I often complain I cannot understand voices and have to turn it up. Is this just me, a problem with all lovely TV speakers, or something some TVs are better at?

To add to my previous post, the Samsung I linked has all the features and inputs you wanted, and I've been using all of the streaming apps with no problems or obvious lag.

My girlfriend initially balked at me getting a 55" tv because she thought it was unnecessary but now she's been using it a couple of weeks she loves it. Obviously you're limited by the space you have but the larger the better, especially if you want to actually take advantage of the 4k capabilities. Netflix streams some of its newer content in 4k for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Netflix or Amazon in 4K+HDR or Dolby Vision is aces.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Butterfly Valley posted:

My girlfriend initially balked at me getting a 55" tv because she thought it was unnecessary but now she's been using it a couple of weeks she loves it. Obviously you're limited by the space you have but the larger the better, especially if you want to actually take advantage of the 4k capabilities. Netflix streams some of its newer content in 4k for what it's worth.

The only unhappiness that comes around TV size choice is the realization that you could fit something even bigger.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Netflix streams some of its newer content in 4k for what it's worth.

Almost all of Netflix's shows are shot and can stream in 4k.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

qbert posted:

Almost all of Netflix's shows are shot and can stream in 4k.

Caveat: almost all of their new content is complete garbage. And it seems to take up most of Netflix.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Whats currently the best TV for gaming for no more than $800?

At least 55” but I really want 60-65” since my current tv is 55”.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

It would be the new TCL 6-Series for the 55". You basically can't get a good 65" tv for $800 or under.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

qbert posted:

It would be the new TCL 6-Series for the 55". You basically can't get a good 65" tv for $800 or under.

That ones current $600 at best buy. The 65” is $970. I could spring for that. But then im so close to an OLED TV.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

That ones current $600 at best buy. The 65” is $970. I could spring for that. But then im so close to an OLED TV.

Not really. I don't know which OLEDs you're looking at, but even last year's LG B7 is $1600 for the 55".

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

qbert posted:

Not really. I don't know which OLEDs you're looking at, but even last year's LG B7 is $1600 for the 55".

The sites were probably BS. Just did a good search and it showed Sony and LG 55” OLED 55” sets for $1200.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Going to buy a TV in the next few weeks. 50" or smaller and I'm leaning toward the mid 40's. Not really going to see much use besides when I want to lounge and stream or play some console games.

TCL 5 series 49" seems like its good for the price and I can just grab one at the local best buy.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

ChocNitty posted:

Idk about 65" since I was looking at no larger than 55" when buying.. But in that price range your options are basically TCL 55R617 (or Best Buy exclusive model 55R615, which is an identical panel with a lesser-featured remote for $50 less) or Vizio P55-F1, both 55". I bought the TCL Best Buy model recently for $550 and couldn't be happier for what I paid.

The Vizio did look a bit more impressive in the store than the TCL, but I've also heard their 55" P series is not as good as their 65" due to the 55 having significantly fewer dimming zones. It's also ~$200 more than the TCL. You really have to take a look in-person to make a decision.

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 3, 2018

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I got the TCL Series 6 55”. But it looks like HDR wont work on the xbox one x, because this TV uses Dolby HDR instead of the standard HDR10 format the Xbox uses. That sucks. HDR on my games was a major reason for upgrading. I might have to exchange it. The TV and Xbox are both updated.

Yeah, TV’s are a little more complicated these days. I need to go to TV college before making a good purchase.

When I bought a 720p, HDTV’s came out soon after. I bought an HDTV, 4k TV’s came soon after. Now I buy this TV and i’m not getting HDR on my games. Hopefully I wont run into the BB employee who advised me against this set when I exchange this so I dont look like a stupid jerk.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 3, 2018

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The series 6 should work fine with the Xbox One X -- I don't know of anything that supports DV that wouldn't support HDR10 as well. You need to check settings / try restarting the TV.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

KS posted:

The series 6 should work fine with the Xbox One X -- I don't know of anything that supports DV that wouldn't support HDR10 as well. You need to check settings / try restarting the TV.

Yeah the TCL 6 series definitely supports HDR10 according to all the specification sheets online/reviews/RTings/etc. Sometimes TV manufacturers make it a whole lot harder/stupider than it needs to be to enable HDR and I think that might be what you're running into here ChocNitty. Here's the snippet from the RTings review about how to enable it on each specific output, I'd imagine once you set it up it should just always work and be fine though.

And here's the link if you want some more info about the settings: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-2018-r617/settings

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

The only unhappiness that comes around TV size choice is the realization that you could fit something even bigger.

Agreed totally should have given the girlfriend more poo poo that she settled for a 55 after convincing

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
A 55” TV is a big TV.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Money is a thing and bigger TVs are prohibitively expensive. If my budget was $1600 I'd probably opt for a 55" LG C8 rather than a 65" Sony X900F.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Also while quickly researching current prices for that post I found this.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-OLED55C8PUA-55-Class-C8-OLED-4K-HDR-AI-Smart-TV-2018-Model-Certified-Refurbished-1-Year-USA-Warranty/435738467

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

I got the TCL Series 6 55”. But it looks like HDR wont work on the xbox one x, because this TV uses Dolby HDR instead of the standard HDR10 format the Xbox uses. That sucks. HDR on my games was a major reason for upgrading. I might have to exchange it. The TV and Xbox are both updated.

Yeah, TV’s are a little more complicated these days. I need to go to TV college before making a good purchase.

When I bought a 720p, HDTV’s came out soon after. I bought an HDTV, 4k TV’s came soon after. Now I buy this TV and i’m not getting HDR on my games. Hopefully I wont run into the BB employee who advised me against this set when I exchange this so I dont look like a stupid jerk.

I think you’re doing something wrong. No way the 6-series doesn’t support HDR10.

Edit: I don’t have a TCL but a quick Google search shows you have to go into your tv settings and set HDMI output from 1.0 to 2.0 to enable HDR. Maybe look into that?

qbert fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 3, 2018

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Butterfly Valley posted:

From my own recent research into buying a tv in Europe, the TCL screens sold here are different models to the ones the American goons go nuts about and are missing a lot of the features. I just bought a Samsung nu7100, 55 inches, and I'm very happy with it. The smart features on it are quick and responsive and for the price and size it's probably the best option. LG is regarded as having the best smart features but at the price range we're looking at their screens are poo poo washed out IPS panels. I think Samsung have worked on their interface a lot recently so it should have improved a lot since your last bad experience with them.

The nu7100 goes under a bunch of different model numbers depending on the country but I think this model on Spanish amazon is the one you need.

Here's the rtings review for you to make your mind up.

heck i just bought it. thank you!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

crestfallen posted:

A 55” TV is a big TV.

Eh, it's entry level big. Average TV size sold last year was 45", so 55" isn't really all that big anymore.

More significantly, 55" is pretty much the bare minimum size TV for it to be fully featured with pretty much only Sony giving a smaller option at 49"

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
Looks like the 2018 Vizio P Series Quantum is going on sale at Costco.com for 1400 in a few weeks. Is a ~$400 premium over the 65" TCL 6 series worth it? RTings does seem to think it's the best non-OLED TV for its size though.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

100% Dundee posted:

Yeah the TCL 6 series definitely supports HDR10 according to all the specification sheets online/reviews/RTings/etc. Sometimes TV manufacturers make it a whole lot harder/stupider than it needs to be to enable HDR and I think that might be what you're running into here ChocNitty. Here's the snippet from the RTings review about how to enable it on each specific output, I'd imagine once you set it up it should just always work and be fine though.

And here's the link if you want some more info about the settings: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-2018-r617/settings

Thank god I dont have to pack this thing back in the box, carry it down 3 flights of stairs by myself, and return it to best buy. I’m stoked. However I think that what people are saying about HDR not being good on red dead redemption 2 is true, it is supposed to be good on other games like assassins creed odyssey and witcher 3, which im getting.

I was so relieved to see those HDR logos show up. Thanks.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 4, 2018

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Idk I've played like 50 hours of RDR2 on my B6 and it's the most impressive looking picture quality I've ever seen. The combo of 4K and HDR is incredible. Reminder HDR doesn't just mean crazy vibrant colors, it's more color depth so the stuff in the shadows looks more accurate and realistic.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

American McGay posted:

Idk I've played like 50 hours of RDR2 on my B6 and it's the most impressive looking picture quality I've ever seen. The combo of 4K and HDR is incredible. Reminder HDR doesn't just mean crazy vibrant colors, it's more color depth so the stuff in the shadows looks more accurate and realistic.

Yeah but RDR2 doesn’t actually do that stuff

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-whats-up-with-red-dead-redemption-2s-hdr

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

American McGay posted:

It's basically just fake HDR but its definitely one of the most visually impressive games I've ever seen.

I started playing it upstairs on a TCL R615 and it was fine but I decided to hook up the Xbox to the OLED in the basement since it can't be played in short sessions. The TCL is a greater value set but wow, there is still a massive difference between those two TVs. RDR2 on an OLED is just jaw dropping.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I’m playing AC Odyssey with the HDR and it looks $2,000 PC quality. Theres def a difference when turned on.

https://youtu.be/TcUmJFihyc8

That vid will show it if u have the proper setup.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah most games that support HDR do it right. RDR2 is kind of an outlier.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Well, our 8 year old 47" Vizio just crapped out in time for Black Friday. What would be a good replacement? Sounds like pretty much any modern set these days would blow our minds, and I don't care so much about getting the absolute best picture quality. Budget of $1000 or less, hoping for 65" but 55" would be fine if needed due to price constraints.

Considering the TCL 65r but I'd be willing to pay a bit more to not have to play the panel lottery since we'll probably be ordering online. Maybe the Vizio P-series instead and hope for a good Black Friday deal?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just got a new 65" OLED LG TV. I haven't bought a new TV in a decade because I was such a plasma fan that I vowed never to get an lcd. All I gotta say is that the picture blows the goddamn balls off me. It looks like the image is painted onto the screen. If anyone gets one, these are the settings I recommend: game mode, power saving off, and adjust color temp a bit. Before I did all of that the picture was pretty dim and it had all that nauseating soap opera effect stuff. I am really happy with this TV. $2099 brand new on ebay and it's $2700 everywhere else. No warranty on the planet is worth $601 in my opinion.

I actually like the built in TV apps, which I thought I would hate. Plex actually works 3x faster than it does on my Nvidia Shield device which I have no idea how that's possible. The only complaint I have about the TV is that there's ads for stuff like "try a Cinemax pass now!" in the menu which bothers the poo poo out of me for something that costs so much but maybe I'm just being a nerd about it.

Anyway does anyone know if the wall mount for a 2008 Panasonic plasma would be compatible with this TV? I'm guessing not but I wanted to be sure. Thank you!

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I just got a new 65" OLED LG TV. I haven't bought a new TV in a decade because I was such a plasma fan that I vowed never to get an lcd. All I gotta say is that the picture blows the goddamn balls off me. It looks like the image is painted onto the screen. If anyone gets one, these are the settings I recommend: game mode, power saving off, and adjust color temp a bit. Before I did all of that the picture was pretty dim and it had all that nauseating soap opera effect stuff. I am really happy with this TV. $2099 brand new on ebay and it's $2700 everywhere else. No warranty on the planet is worth $601 in my opinion.

I actually like the built in TV apps, which I thought I would hate. Plex actually works 3x faster than it does on my Nvidia Shield device which I have no idea how that's possible. The only complaint I have about the TV is that there's ads for stuff like "try a Cinemax pass now!" in the menu which bothers the poo poo out of me for something that costs so much but maybe I'm just being a nerd about it.

Anyway does anyone know if the wall mount for a 2008 Panasonic plasma would be compatible with this TV? I'm guessing not but I wanted to be sure. Thank you!

Congrats! The built in apps are also nice because they let you use Dolby Vision where available without any hassle.

I’d definitely recommend choosing an ISF picture mode and adjusting your settings from there, and save game mode for games, though.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

comper posted:

Congrats! The built in apps are also nice because they let you use Dolby Vision where available without any hassle.

I’d definitely recommend choosing an ISF picture mode and adjusting your settings from there, and save game mode for games, though.

Thank you!

ISF? I kinda recall just going through all the display modes and liking game mode the best because I really hate when the TVs mess with the source material.

Also would I benefit from Dolby Vision? All I use are Plex which is my own personal DVD and Blu ray rips and youtube TV.

I might hook up some games to it but those are mostly gonna stay with my projector

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you haven't done 4k HDR yet, you haven't even scratched the surface of what the TV can do.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah get something capable of displaying 4K HDR content (AppleTV, Xbox One) or I guess use the built-in apps.

e; I forgot you're that weirdo that pirates all his media and doesn't buy digitally ever so scratch that idea. I guess you're stuck with your lovely DVD rips lol.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I buy nothing digital. I buy physical and I rip them myself. Anything I still have on DVD rips is because it never came out on Blu ray. All my DVD rips are 4-8GB mpeg2 files. As far as I know pirated DVD rips are still 650mb lol

I don't like pirated blu ray rips because they take a 40gb file and compress it to 7gb. So I just rip my own discs and use zero compression. I had to import Drop Dead Fred from the UK even though it's an American movie from 1991 lol.

I'll hook up my ps4 pro to it but I'm gonna have to see if the hdr makes up the difference taking it away from a 150" projector screen. I can't wait to try it regardless though. I am kinda guessing old consoles are gonna look horrible though. I can't imagine what a 240p image upscaled to 4k is gonna look like :stonklol:

Edit: another tip for anyone with this TV who isn't plugging anything into the rf port: let the TV do a channel scan to find no channels or else you are gonna get blasted with a loud and bright screen of static every time

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 7, 2018

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

If we had the authority here I'm sure we could consider you clinically insane. I've watched my brother collect VHS, DVD and now Blu ray (and even he has a stupid apple TV and buys poo poo on itunes now). I want the best quality too, but gently caress that poo poo. I've already bought Indiana Jones and Star Wars trilogies twice. What can you possibly gain on 30 year old source content?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I buy nothing digital. I buy physical and I rip them myself. Anything I still have on DVD rips is because it never came out on Blu ray. All my DVD rips are 4-8GB mpeg2 files. As far as I know pirated DVD rips are still 650mb lol

I don't like pirated blu ray rips because they take a 40gb file and compress it to 7gb.
So I just rip my own discs and use zero compression. I had to import Drop Dead Fred from the UK even though it's an American movie from 1991 lol.

You can get practically every film released in qualities from 1gb/2gb all the way up to 100gb untouched UHD. Not sure why you think you’re the only one ripping and not compressing further.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

You can get practically every film released in qualities from 1gb/2gb all the way up to 100gb untouched UHD. Not sure why you think you’re the only one ripping and not compressing further.

They're cheap enough that it's not really worth the threatening letter coming to me in the mail from my isp. I got Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure on Blu Ray for $6 at Costco. So I just rip it and leave it in my garage if I ever want to watch the special features or re-rip it in 20 years if my hard drive dies.

Also I have all The Simpsons dvds from seasons 1-11 and one day out of laziness last year I just downloaded those seasons from some torrent site instead of ripping them myself. Every single upload online was some FXX (when they showed every episode) HDTV rip that looked like stretched out poo poo and had jokes missing. I said gently caress that and ripped them myself and I swear my DVD rips looked ten times better at a quarter of the size and also they weren't missing jokes.

codo27 posted:

If we had the authority here I'm sure we could consider you clinically insane. I've watched my brother collect VHS, DVD and now Blu ray (and even he has a stupid apple TV and buys poo poo on itunes now). I want the best quality too, but gently caress that poo poo. I've already bought Indiana Jones and Star Wars trilogies twice. What can you possibly gain on 30 year old source content?

I'm definitely insane but I never collected VHS because VHS always looked like poo poo. I agree most movies don't really need to be in 1080p or higher. A lossless DVD rip with a good upscale can look incredible (the ps3 was amazing at dvd up scaling). I just buy Blu rays for movies I absolutely love and only if I can find them for $15 or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

codo27 posted:

What can you possibly gain on 30 year old source content?

Pre-2000 content actually has some of the highest gains in 4k HDR.