Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
This is so bad it really makes me wonder if they were going to announce D4 this year and then they scrapped their build after dropping hints, but just before Blizzcon. Then they realized they had nothing so they just said fuckit and slapped the quickest thing they could together so they would at least have something to turn in.

Like, no matter how dumb you think Blizzard is, this is just operating on a level far away from even their dumbest fuckups.

Edit: I am just genuinely impressed at the combination of balls and lack of judgment this shows. There is just absolutely no way they didn't realize that this was going to go over like a lump of fetid poo poo on a hot and humid day.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Euphronius which is worse: Blizzard's marketing or Fultz's jump shot?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I'm unpleasantly surprised to find that I was right

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I was chatting with a bluetag on the floor, apparently there was a lot of high level “this is going to be a hit” talk that resulted in the end of keynote, huge finale location of that announcement (and just about everyone below that level going :psyduck: and being overruled)

whoops

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Dameius posted:

This is so bad it really makes me wonder if they were going to announce D4 this year and then they scrapped their build after dropping hints, but just before Blizzcon. Then they realized they had nothing so they just said fuckit and slapped the quickest thing they could together so they would at least have something to turn in.

The quickest thing they could have slapped together would have been a D4 version of the teasers for TES6 and Starfield. Literally five seconds of some backdrop and then the name appears on the screen. If they truly had intended a D4 announcement and pulled it last minute I think that would have made way more sense, like even Bethesda, even Bethesda had the foresight to realise that announcing a rust clone and a mobile game could disappoint their core player base and gave a reassuring pat on the head when they did E3.

So therefore I think this really was what they intended. It's too bad to have been anything other than intentional.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
I don't even feel disappointment, maybe because it's hilarious seeing the flak they're getting over this. :unsmigghh:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
which stage of grief is “intense schadenfreude”

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Reveilled posted:

even Bethesda, even Bethesda had the foresight to realise that announcing a rust clone and a mobile game could disappoint their core player base and gave a reassuring pat on the head when they did E3.

Nintendo did the same thing with Pokemon. They announced Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee which is a casual take on the franchise as the first (pokemon quest doesnt count) Pokemon game for the Switch and before the core series fans could get up in arms they immediately followed it with a "btw the next real main series Pokemon game is coming down the line for the Switch too but it's not ready yet"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Euphronius which is worse: Blizzard's marketing or Fultz's jump shot?

Fultz is trying to be better and seems to be motivated by simple human emotions such as competitive will.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I was chatting with a bluetag on the floor, apparently there was a lot of high level “this is going to be a hit” talk that resulted in the end of keynote, huge finale location of that announcement (and just about everyone below that level going :psyduck: and being overruled)

whoops

:shepface:

I totally believe it though. Higher ups somehow lose all touch with reality.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

"No, no, they're going Boo-urns!"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
There’s nothing like the famed Blizzard polish of...

*checks notes*

Out sourcing development to a Chinese company that makes mobile D3 ripoffs???

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

For a rather less stupid than D4 question (seriously, wtf, Blizzard? i didn't think you were this collectively senile yet):

thinking about picking this up again for the Switch, last time I played was a few months after RoS (so long before Necromancer). I know the game is fundamentally same as it always was but I've heard of things like Ancient Legendaries and Set Dungeons and other weird combinations of Capital Letters, so I'm kinda wondering: anyone happen to have a Cliff's Notes handy on how the game's changed since then? My google efforts aren't doing so hot`

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Someone please superimpose the Diablo logo on Cedric’s face thanks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL28nE2gxVY

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
i could probably have enjoyed this on PC even if it was just stripped down diablo 3. but i can't believe they don't even plan to port it to PC. why are they like this

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Poultron posted:

why are they like this

whoops

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

it was probably a hit with investors and moneymen, which is all the higherups would care about anyway, i'd assume

wrong audience for the trailer :v:

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

https://us.diablo3.com/en/blog/22549433

translation: Don't hold your breath, expect D2 remastered

We were so hopeful just a few weeks ago

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It’s gonna be a big hit in China, which is why it was outsourced to NetEase so they wouldn’t have to pay a huge sum of money for having it be a game from an non-Chinese developer, and that’s why it will be on mobile with a poo poo ton of transactions because China dumps money on mobile games and mobile games are the biggest market in China. The entire thing was made from the mind of the moneymen and investors of how to get maximum profit with the lowest effort. It’s why it’s all down scaled Diablo 3 assets and classes

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Ciaphas posted:

For a rather less stupid than D4 question (seriously, wtf, Blizzard? i didn't think you were this collectively senile yet):

thinking about picking this up again for the Switch, last time I played was a few months after RoS (so long before Necromancer). I know the game is fundamentally same as it always was but I've heard of things like Ancient Legendaries and Set Dungeons and other weird combinations of Capital Letters, so I'm kinda wondering: anyone happen to have a Cliff's Notes handy on how the game's changed since then? My google efforts aren't doing so hot`

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. Here's what I've learned:

There's a small chance for a legendary (or set item) to be ancient when it drops, it will have higher stats. Once you've beaten a Greater Rift 70 solo, they can be primal ancients which are even better. If you have all of an item set for your class (i.e. one of the build-defining 6-piece sets), there's a set dungeon hidden in the world you can access where you have a timed challenge to complete using the set's gimmick. You can find a hint for the location in the library of Leoric's Manor, which is bigger now, if you are wearing the set.

There's a few new locations for bounties. The horadric cube is back, but the recipies are all on a list in game, you can reroll items, convert set items into other pieces from the set, upgrade an item to a guaranteed legendary of that type, and a few other things. You get it in the Ruins of Secheron, a place on your act 3 map in adventure mode. It requires crafting materials you only get from doing bounties. Crafing materials now have their own tab and don't take inventory space.

You no longer need rift keystones from bounties, you can just open a nephilim rift whenever. Bosses still drop Greater Rift keystones, but now you just pick the difficulty from a list, unlocking higher difficulties each time you complete a rift or move up a torment level (if you haven't unlocked that difficulty already). You can empower a rift with money to give an extra gem upgrade but I don't see the point in this when you can just do a nephilim rift for a greater rift keystone and get four gem upgrades for free instead.

You can cube a puzzle ring to open a portal to the vault, and a bovine bardichade to open one to some other place.

That's about it, as far as I can tell.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 3, 2018

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It’s gonna be a big hit in China, which is why it was outsourced to NetEase so they wouldn’t have to pay a huge sum of money for having it be a game from an non-Chinese developer, and that’s why it will be on mobile with a poo poo ton of transactions because China dumps money on mobile games and mobile games are the biggest market in China. The entire thing was made from the mind of the moneymen and investors of how to get maximum profit with the lowest effort. It’s why it’s all down scaled Diablo 3 assets and classes

why even show it in the west? rake in some extra money while destroying goodwill? was that worth it?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Reveilled posted:

Bosses still drop Greater Rift keystones, but now you just pick the difficulty from a list, unlocking higher difficulties each time you complete a rift or move up a torment level (if you haven't unlocked that difficulty already).

how did it work before?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Reveilled posted:

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. Here's what I've learned:

There's a small chance for a legendary to be ancient when it drops, it will have higher stats. Once you've beaten a Greater Rift 70 solo, they can be primal ancients which are even better. If you have all of an item set for your class (i.e. one of the build-defining 6-piece sets), there's a set dungeon hidden in the world you can access where you have a timed challenge to complete using the set's gimmick. You can find a hint for the location in the library of Leoric's Manor, which is bigger now, if you are wearing the set.

There's a few new locations for bounties. The horadric cube is back, but the recipies are all on a list in game, you can reroll items, convert set items into other pieces from the set, upgrade an item to a guaranteed legendary of that type, and a few other things. You get it in the Ruins of Secheron, a place on your act 3 map in adventure mode. It requires crafting materials you only get from doing bounties. Crafing materials now have their own tab and don't take inventory space.

You no longer need rift keystones from bounties, you can just open a nephilim rift whenever. Bosses still drop Greater Rift keystones, but now you just pick the difficulty from a list, unlocking higher difficulties each time you complete a rift or move up a torment level (if you haven't unlocked that difficulty already).

You can cube a puzzle ring to open a portal to the vault, and a bovine bardichade to open one to some other place.

That's about it, as far as I can tell.

This.
But its 'easier' to get to high Paragon levels than it used to be.
Find a group, and do the Season objectives (will need to create a seasonal character and start from level 1).
You get 2 items from a set (sets are determined for each season, so select a class you want to have fun with as some sets suck compared to others imo) for each Season Chapter.
Once you complete all four chapters you get all 6 set items, instantly allowing you to go Torment 4+.
It used to be much much worse of a grind just to get to here.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Rinkles posted:

how did it work before?

At release of Reaper of Souls, all keystones started at greater rift 1, and upon killing the guardian you'd get a choice between gem upgrades, or a keystone for a higher level, with the level being based on how quickly you killed the guardian (capped at current level + 10). So you'd do a GR1, then a GR11, then a GR21, etc until you finally cashed in for a gem roll. Then start again with a set of bounties (to get fragments for a nephilim rift), then a nephilim rift and then GR1. This was super tedious after about 2 weeks!

Then they did a thing where after getting a Greater Rift Keystone, you'd go into a little arena and have to defeat waves of enemies in some fixed amount of time (think cursed chests to kill 100), and based on how many waves you did, you'd be given a keystone for an appropriate rift level, letting you skip to that level before getting back on the keystone treadmill, above. Again, seemed great for a few weeks, then not so much.

Current system is heaven by comparison.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Reveilled posted:

At release of Reaper of Souls

y'all forget the time when Reaper of Souls came out and season one started five months later or something?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Reveilled posted:

Current system is heaven by comparison.

yeah glad i avoided that, but it did seem to me like climbing the GR ladder was a bit... unceremonious for blizz standards

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Star Man posted:

y'all forget the time when Reaper of Souls came out and season one started five months later or something?

y'all forget that adventure mode was a release feature of Reaper of Souls, and not tied to the first season?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

happyhippy posted:

This.
But its 'easier' to get to high Paragon levels than it used to be.
Find a group, and do the Season objectives (will need to create a seasonal character and start from level 1).
You get 2 items from a set (sets are determined for each season, so select a class you want to have fun with as some sets suck compared to others imo) for each Season Chapter.
Once you complete all four chapters you get all 6 set items, instantly allowing you to go Torment 4+.
It used to be much much worse of a grind just to get to here.

Demon Hunter a good start for this, then? Not counting Necromancer I think that's the only class I didn't have at max level back in the day, and the Switch thread has encouraged me to go maximum :torgue:

mewse
May 2, 2006

whoops

Blizz is doomed

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

mewse
May 2, 2006

I don't think anyone posted Quin's real time reaction in this thread

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/330515190?t=11h20m20s

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Ciaphas posted:

Demon Hunter a good start for this, then? Not counting Necromancer I think that's the only class I didn't have at max level back in the day, and the Switch thread has encouraged me to go maximum :torgue:

I did the Demon Hunter as my season character, got the season set for the first time and thought it was truly the most fun anyone could ever have playing Diablo 3 or any ARPG.

Then I got the Shadow Mantle set and an Ancient Karlei's Point as random drops over the course of a week, put them on and did literally 40 billion damage without any specific optimisations. I think I sat with my jaw dropped for about three minutes.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
blizzcon :roflolmao:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Man the only thing I don't like about the game now compared to release was removing Critical Mass, I know they had to tweak it but man rushing into groups of dudes and facerolling every skill as fast as you could was hilariously fun

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Not sure, depends on your play style I guess.
You can check the season armor sets ingame on the 'Whats New' button, not sure if the Switch has this or not.
But check out https://www.diablofans.com they usually have recommended builds for each class that use the current season sets.

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
Why are the D3 characters even in this garbage anyway?

Didn't they all show up in D3 because of the falling star? Also the wizard probably isn't even born yet.

Imagine having to close the opening ceremony with a mobile game. Brutal.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Smellem Sexbad posted:

Why are the D3 characters even in this garbage anyway?

Didn't they all show up in D3 because of the falling star? Also the wizard probably isn't even born yet.

Because it would cost money to make new characters when they could just recycle and downgrade existing assets

Stole this quote from Kotaku and it’s kind of clear where they’re gonna be sticking the micro transactions :laffo:

quote:

As for loot, Blizzard and NetEase are still trying to pin down how exactly it’ll work. “The loot system is very much a work in progress, which is why inventory is disabled in the demo,” said Cheng. “We are still working out the details of how itemization [will] work, but there are a few strong values we have. First, we want there to be some depth for hardcore players. Second, there should be customization (including visual). Third, we want to make sure legendary items allow you to customize your build further with game defining effects.”

This late in development the loot system shouldn’t be a “very much work in progress” feature for an ARPG since that’s what the entire progression of the gameplay will be based on. The only reason it wouldn’t be finalized is because they haven’t figured out the perfect balance of pain points to wear down people with frustrating limitations and get them to crack open their wallets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Smellem Sexbad posted:

Imagine confusing a gaming convention where fans have paid hundreds of dollars to be there with a shareholder meeting