Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

jassi007 posted:

Nothing wrong with Rock but Jund is proving to be a little more aggressive right now. Basically figure tracker is a 4 drop, since you want to play him, then a land. So on t5 he maybe swings for 4 or 5 if you crack a couple clues, but BBE swings for 3 on t4 plus you get your card advantage right away. Bob is .... questionable right now, which is why a lot of jund builds have dropped to 3 copies. Jund still really wants another CA engine available aside from BBE. Thats why people have been experimenting with Risk Factor, Faithless Looting, Tireless Tracker etc.

I simply can't play Jund without Bob, IMO. I have all the Jund poo poo but sold off Bob when I figured he was going to continue to drop. The release of AT sadly bumped him up a bit over bottom (when I sold), but he's already back below $50 again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

ShaneB posted:

I simply can't play Jund without Bob, IMO. I have all the Jund poo poo but sold off Bob when I figured he was going to continue to drop. The release of AT sadly bumped him up a bit over bottom (when I sold), but he's already back below $50 again.

I understand completely. I have not hopped on the bandwagon of cutting a Bob even though it is probably "correct" I'm just saying overall that while GB is fine, Jund is probably a small margin better due to being a little more aggressive.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I cut the Bobs and have never looked back, but if I was playing straight GB I would play Bobs and Tracker because I love drawing cards.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

GoutPatrol posted:

I cut the Bobs and have never looked back, but if I was playing straight GB I would play Bobs and Tracker because I love drawing cards.

Did you cut all of them? What did you replace them with?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah what's your Jund deck looking like? I'd rather be more aggressive than grindy.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
If you’re playing GB rock, I think you have to play 3 bobs and 3 trackers. Going all in on either means you can’t win the game (if you go with bob) or you lose too quickly to use the efficient cards in your hand (if you go with trackers). Cut the tasigurs, main deck one Kalitas instead. I also play 24 lands with the 3/3 bob and tracker split.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lawnie posted:

If you’re playing GB rock, I think you have to play 3 bobs and 3 trackers. Going all in on either means you can’t win the game (if you go with bob) or you lose too quickly to use the efficient cards in your hand (if you go with trackers). Cut the tasigurs, main deck one Kalitas instead. I also play 24 lands with the 3/3 bob and tracker split.

Don't have bobs.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ShaneB posted:

Yeah what's your Jund deck looking like? I'd rather be more aggressive than grindy.

I thought I posted my GP HK post here but I guess only on MTGSalvation. Obviously this is all before Trophy. I would replace the Decays and Dreasbore with 3 of that. I have played Modern only once since then, and I didn't play this. I still need to buy Trophies.

GoutPatrol posted:

So I'm back home from GP Hong Kong. I went 4-4 in the main event. With no byes, I started 3-0, then lost 4 in a row. 3 of those matches in a row to topdecked Arcbound Ravagers (2 of those 3 for exact damage through pumping Balista,) which is a bad feeling. The biggest decks there were BY FAR UW/Jeskai control, followed by Bant Spirits and Humans, then Affinity and its multiple versions. Very little in the way of GY decks like Hollow One or Bridgevine. I did change my SB a little for the event compared to what I said...

Sideboard
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 Anger of the Gods
1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
1 Languish
3 Fulminator Mage
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Nissa, Vital Force
1 Choke
1 Shatterstorm
2 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Surgical Extraction

Lands
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
1 Blood Crypt
3 Bloodstained Mire
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Raging Ravine
1 Snow-Covered Forest
1 Snow-Covered Mountain
2 Snow-Covered Swamp
1 Stomping Ground
1 Treetop Village
1 Twilight Mire
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Wooded Foothills

Spells
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Collective Brutality
1 Dreadbore
2 Fatal Push
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Kolaghan's Command
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Liliana of the Veil
1 Liliana, the Last Hope
1 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Thoughtseize

Creatures
4 Bloodbraid Elf
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Tireless Tracker

My records for the GP matchups...
1 Bant Spirits (2-0) 1-0
2 Burn (2-0)
3 Affinity (2-0)
4 Jeskai Control (1-2) 3-1 (This one was even more heartbreaking than the affinity matches. I could feel the game slipping away game 3 when they were empty-handed with 6 mana up, I have only K-Command in my hand. I try to draw step discard/return BBE, and they got a Cryptic to counter. I drew a land next turn and they flipped an Azcanta to seal the deal)
5 Harden Scales Affinity (1-2) 3-2 (also a hard one. I won game 1, and had Shatterstorm in my hand with only 1 red mana game 2 for 3 turns.)
6 Harden Scales Affinity (1-2) 3-3
7 Affinity (1-2) 3-4
8 Affinity (2-1) 4-4

After Saturday, I switched a Spellbomb with an Ancient Grudge for the PTQ. Of course, I never faced any Affinity, which is exactly what does happen when you make that switch. It was only 5 rounds for the PTQ, but I went 4-1 for 22nd place out of 175. Everyone in the top 8 of that started 4-0 and IDed. Matches there...

1 Bant Spirits (1-2) 0-1
2 Burn (2-0) 1-1
3 Humans (2-1) 2-1
4 Burn (2-0) 3-1
5 UR Wizards (2-0) 4-1

Looking at the Jund list that T8 the main event, you may be talking about Grim Flayer, but I would be looking at the sideboard for why they made it. Maybe the Chandra as well. Walking around the top tables on Sunday, there was only 1 Jund player, so it must have been him. Deglamer and CoBru were excellent additions because Welding Jar was everywhere, and bringing in ways to get around Artifact regen and Selfless Spirit was the way to go.

Overall, I still agree with my take that Bob is not where you want to be right now against the field. You need a creature that can attack profitably, and Flayer or Tracker fit the bill while still giving you card selection/advantage. I never lost a match against burn this weekend and I attribute that all to this decision to cut Bobs and maindeck Brutality - its like I've already sideboarded against them.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

Don't have bobs.

Play Jund then, it’s fine without bob, probably.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Lawnie posted:

I goofed around and won a modern challenge 4-0 at SCG Charlotte with GB rock using 4 bob and 3 tracker. Completely agree with cutting Tasigur and playing 1 Kalitas, Kalitas saved my rear end a few times where Tasigur would not have. I'm also playing a ton of removal- 3 Trophy, 2 CoBru, 1 Pulse, 3 Push, 4 LotV, 1 Last Hope. The main upside to Rock seems to be the 6 basics, and the ability to play 4 field of ruin which was kinda great in testing. I love playing lots of basics. Jund having bolts is pretty good right now though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Reid Duke continuing to tinker with Modern Sultai, though I haven't watched the whole thing yet-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM40HOX0aA4

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Yer boi took that golgari deck to 3-0 tonight, and since I was the only 3-0 no 4th round happened. First time winning SCG game night! Beat Tron in 2, UW spirits vs one of the endbosses in 3, and Dredge in 3. Tron player made Tron both games, but Trophy and Field of Ruin do work and I was able to grind through. Spirits ran me over g1, I stripped the hand and had removal g2, and g3 he mulled to 4 and scooped pregame as I kept 7. Dredge destroyed me g1, g2 was slower as he didn't have a great hand and i hardcast a leyline on 4. Eventually dragged myself to a victory. G3 I mulled to 6 to get a leyline pregame, and slowly got there. I had 2 surgicals and a 2nd leyline rotting in my hand most of the game.

Will play again.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

End this poo poo rear end work day and bring on eternal weekend

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

friends, i need help on deciding what to play in legacy champs this weekend. the two contenders are:

BUG Death's Shadow
UWr Helm

Both have tremendous ceilings for comedy, which is how I usually choose, so I am at a loss. Now that people are actually playing Death's Shadow it seems like it might be less funny, but otoh I'm playing berserks

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

friends, i need help on deciding what to play in legacy champs this weekend. the two contenders are:

BUG Death's Shadow
UWr Helm

Both have tremendous ceilings for comedy, which is how I usually choose, so I am at a loss. Now that people are actually playing Death's Shadow it seems like it might be less funny, but otoh I'm playing berserks

I say play the deck that has berserks

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

BORN TO DIE
META IS A gently caress
Surgical Em All 1989
I am loam man
410,757,864,530 DEAD KARAKAS

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Skyl3lazer posted:

BORN TO DIE
META IS A gently caress
Surgical Em All 1989
I am loam man

0 copies of Experimental Frenzy seems wrong

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Skyl3lazer posted:

BORN TO DIE
META IS A gently caress
Surgical Em All 1989
I am loam man

You have my extreme support

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Skyl3lazer posted:

BORN TO DIE
META IS A gently caress
Surgical Em All 1989
I am loam man

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss it you'll land among the clouds

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

BORN TO DIE
META IS A gently caress
Surgical Em All 1989
I am loam man

*nods sagely*

This is what I ended up on:

4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Force of Will
2 Spell Pierce
2 Counterspell
2 Supreme Verdict
2 Enlightened Tutor
3 Energy Field
3 Rest in Peace
2 Helm of Obedience
1 Humility
1 Detention Sphere
1 Blood Moon
1 Engineered Explosives
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Gideon of the Trials
4 Island
2 Plains
3 Tundra
2 Volcanic Island
1 Karakas
2 Arid Mesa
3 Scalding Tarn
4 Flooded Strand

//Sideboard
2 Pyroblast
2 Hydroblast
1 Flusterstorm
1 Wear//Tear
1 Seal of Cleansing
3 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Keranos, God of Storms
1 Vendilion Clique
1 Meekstone
1 Pithing Needle
1 Kozilek's Return

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

*nods sagely*

This is what I ended up on:

4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Force of Will
2 Spell Pierce
2 Counterspell
2 Supreme Verdict
2 Enlightened Tutor
3 Energy Field
3 Rest in Peace
2 Helm of Obedience
1 Humility
1 Detention Sphere
1 Blood Moon
1 Engineered Explosives
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Gideon of the Trials
4 Island
2 Plains
3 Tundra
2 Volcanic Island
1 Karakas
2 Arid Mesa
3 Scalding Tarn
4 Flooded Strand

//Sideboard
2 Pyroblast
2 Hydroblast
1 Flusterstorm
1 Wear//Tear
1 Seal of Cleansing
3 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Keranos, God of Storms
1 Vendilion Clique
1 Meekstone
1 Pithing Needle
1 Kozilek's Return

Lol drat died in first trial so someone who also poorly selected this deck

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

You, dumb: Look at my deck I'm playing.

Me, smart: Look at my deck I'm not playing. :smuggo:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

Reid Duke continuing to tinker with Modern Sultai, though I haven't watched the whole thing yet-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM40HOX0aA4

Finally got around to finishing this, I like the idea but I feel like there's too many 1- and 2-ofs for the deck to be all that effective. Not enough creatures for my taste either-
1 x Botanical Sanctum
1 x Breeding Pool
1 x Field of Ruin
2 x Misty Rainforest
1 x Overgrown Tomb
4 x Polluted Delta
3 x Verdant Catacombs
1 x Watery Grave
4 x Creeping Tar Pit
2 x Blooming Marsh
2 x Swamp
1 x Forest
2 x Island
1 x Jace, Vryn’s Prodigy // Jace, Telepath Unbound
2 x Snapcaster Mage
1 x Tireless Tracker
1 x Dark Confidant
2 x Tarmogoyf
1 x Tasigur, the Golden Fang
1 x Serum Visions
4 x Fatal Push
1 x Traverse the Ulvenwald
2 x Nihil Spellbomb
1 x Engineered Explosives
2 x Ancestral Vision
2 x Collective Brutality
1 x Abrupt Decay
2 x Assassin’s Trophy
2 x Liliana of the Veil
1 x Maelstrom Pulse
1 x Liliana, the Last Hope
4 x Inquisition of Kozilek
2 x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 x Damnation
//Sideboard
3 x Leyline of the Void
1 x Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 x Collective Brutality
2 x Countersquall
2 x Fulminator Mage
1 x Nature’s Claim
1 x Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
1 x Spell Pierce
1 x Feed the Clan
1 x Damnation
1 x Deathmark

E: People in the comments are also saying it should be run like a UB Control deck splashing green rather than as a blue Jund deck which is interesting to consider. UB Control with Assassin's Trophy and Tireless Tracker is a deck I would try out.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 2, 2018

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

Lol drat died in first trial so someone who also poorly selected this deck

My technology has been revealed

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

double post - extremely successful EW thus far:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Not as successful as my Mindbreak Trap.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

double post - extremely successful EW thus far:

What did you close?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

C-Euro posted:

What did you close?

https://www.milwaukeemag.com/i-closed-wolskis/

suicidesteve posted:

Not as successful as my Mindbreak Trap.

so the story here is that known degenerate suicidesteve was playing Solidarity, and I was on UWr helm. In response to me playing a Leyline of Sanctity (my deck has a WHOLE LOT of cards that do not matter even a little bit in this matchup), he starts going off. The stack is Leyline of Sanctity, High Tide, Force on High Tide, High Tide, Force on second High Tide. This loving sicko Cunning Wishes for mindbreak trap, exiling both forces and the Leyline and proceeds to go off.

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 2, 2018

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

so the story here is that known degenerate suicidesteve was playing Solidarity, and I was on UWr helm. In response to me playing a Leyline of Sanctity (my deck has a WHOLE LOT of cards that do not matter even a little bit in this matchup), he starts going off. The stack is Leyline of Sanctity, High Tide, Force on High Tide, High Tide, Force on second High Tide. This loving sicko Cunning Wishes for mindbreak trap, exiling both forces and the Leyline and proceeds to go off.

You should both be locked up for participating in this.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

This owns.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

:smuggo:

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Hell yeah Legacy is the fuckin' best.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Hell yeah Legacy is the fuckin' best.

Yeah, I'm so happy I put solidarity back together. Also really happy I didn't drop the maindeck remand. No one loving expects remand.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Got my second bye!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

The March Hare posted:

Yeah, I'm so happy I put solidarity back together. Also really happy I didn't drop the maindeck remand. No one loving expects remand.

Ask Johnny Five-Jaces about getting your Jace Remanded.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
4-0'd a 12 person FNM with GB elves, which I haven't touched in 18 months but jammed a couple clancallers and a side rear end Trophy in.

Just did elf things and got lucky / ran hot so not too much to say, with the exception of a really stupid game against storm where I believe I exiled every card that says 'storm', both PiF as well as most of my creature base with a scavenging ooze over many turns.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

Got my second bye!

hell yeah, both because it's cool you got another bye and if the field is conducive to lands then it is conducive to the nonsense I brought

suicidesteve posted:

Ask Johnny Five-Jaces about getting your Jace Remanded.

:argh:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
look, how else are you gonna cast jace five times in a game

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

digging this. Saw someone playing esper basics on stream from Eternal Weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Tim Raines IRL posted:

digging this. Saw someone playing esper basics on stream from Eternal Weekend.

i saw next to the guy playing it in round 3. deck seems good