Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

MonkeyNutZ posted:

The other good news is that I stumbled into tons of spare Swift GTI engine parts which significantly speeds up my plans for more horsepower. A set of cams is already in Canada getting reground to a comically aggressive level and I have a lovely new EPROM on my desk ready to go as soon as I socket the ECU.

:twisted: Looking forward to hearing your lumpy little 1.3 doing its best superbike impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Those seats look awesome.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

IOwnCalculus posted:

Those seats look awesome.

:emptyquote:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Great job man, I hear you about poo poo possibly exploding, every time I did a Miata top (I did a lot) it always felt like poo poo would start ripping apart because it felt way too tight even after heating it up in the sun. Amazingly I never hosed one up.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

MonkeyNutZ posted:

The other good news is that I stumbled into tons of spare Swift GTI engine parts which significantly speeds up my plans for more horsepower. A set of cams is already in Canada getting reground to a comically aggressive level and I have a lovely new EPROM on my desk ready to go as soon as I socket the ECU. Traveling for work more than usual recently so I still have some spares to dig into when I get back next weekend, I'll get a post together about all that jazz right after!

Sometimes these stories are the best. I once gave a phone number of someone selling a Z to a buddy.
The person selling the Z technically had 8 Z's for sale...

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm so happy this project is still going. Cool hog-ring trick, I will have to remember it the next time I decide to drive myself loving insane reupholster a seat.

I stared into the abyss the last time I did a motorcycle seat, and then I doubled down doing the paint myself. After over 100 hours I learned that nothing is real except forearm pain.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Paying someone to refurbish the seats just didn't feel right, glad I did them myself and that everyone likes them as much as I do!

LloydDobler posted:

As for the spring clips, could zip ties work? I use zip ties instead of hog rings whenever I do upholstery, and they've never let me down.
These are the spring clips in question, you stab holes in the upholstery and push the clips into holes in the seat frame tubes:

I can't find anything similar other than plastic door trim push pin retainers which I absolutely hate using. Unless someone here knows a better way to search for oddball 50 year old seat upholstery fasteners I'm debating just tapping each of the holes and using screws and nylon washers.

8ender posted:

I stared into the abyss the last time I did a motorcycle seat, and then I doubled down doing the paint myself. After over 100 hours I learned that nothing is real except forearm pain.
Words of wisdom for anyone thinking about doing their own upholstery; buy the best hog ring pliers you can. My hands ended up bruised and my forearms were impossibly sore for most of the week following the installation of those covers with 100+ hog rings.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Paying someone to refurbish the seats just didn't feel right, glad I did them myself and that everyone likes them as much as I do!

These are the spring clips in question, you stab holes in the upholstery and push the clips into holes in the seat frame tubes:

I can't find anything similar other than plastic door trim push pin retainers which I absolutely hate using. Unless someone here knows a better way to search for oddball 50 year old seat upholstery fasteners I'm debating just tapping each of the holes and using screws and nylon washers.

Words of wisdom for anyone thinking about doing their own upholstery; buy the best hog ring pliers you can. My hands ended up bruised and my forearms were impossibly sore for most of the week following the installation of those covers with 100+ hog rings.

How many of them do you need? Seems like something you could rig a up a small jig made from nails in a board and bend some spring wire around.

E- like this, only manually.
https://i.imgur.com/JOxc3xy.gifv
Shouldn't be to bad if you only need like half a dozen.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 15, 2018

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
Here's your wire clips: https://www.yourautotrim.com/11406.html

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Hot drat, those should work just fine and they'll be here by Friday :swoon:

I would have definitely made my own artisanal trim clips if it was just a few (because that actually sounds like a fun challenge) but I need 58 of the drat things. All but four of them were rusty and broke into dust when I disassembled the seats, took ages to get the little bits out of the seat tubes to keep them from rattling around later.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
You're a masochist for wanting to use the stock injection system in a different car that didn't come with EFI. The cherry on top being some big aftermarket cams!

Honestly a splashproof microsquirt in the engine bay driving some smart COPs would clean up the bay a lot, prevent you from having to hide a giant outdated ECU, not require a big access bump behind the dash for a dizzy, nor you to pass its big wiring bundle through the firewall.

And you know what goes great with big bump sticks? ITBs!

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!

mafoose posted:

You're a masochist for wanting to use the stock injection system in a different car that didn't come with EFI. The cherry on top being some big aftermarket cams

I thought Sloppy mechanics had that kind of slovenly antics well documented?

I’m a fan of factory ecu’s as they are generally quite powerful.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kaptainballistik posted:

Especially since the Suzuki he got it out of is a bullet proof little car. I had a brand new Swift GT back in the 90's and the engine in that car was probably the best twin cam four banger I had the pleasure of abusing.

Might as well go with what you know is gonna work.

[e] but ITBs do sound like a great idea

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Finger Prince posted:

How many of them do you need? Seems like something you could rig a up a small jig made from nails in a board and bend some spring wire around.

E- like this, only manually.
https://i.imgur.com/JOxc3xy.gifv
Shouldn't be to bad if you only need like half a dozen.

CNC wire bending is so loving awesome. I can watch those videos for hours.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Kaptainballistik posted:

I thought Sloppy mechanics had that kind of slovenly antics well documented?

Not an 80s Suzuki ECU. I don't even think they had an EPROM or any actual NVRAM, GM ECUs are completely re-writable including technically the OS itself.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The capability of an ECU varies pretty wildly between date and manufacturer.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Yeah, the Swift GTIs are running a nice little 27C256 or 27C128 EPROM chipset:

Nothing mindblowing by today's standards but you can do some pretty incredible things with them; there are quite a few very refined fuel and ignition maps for these cars with only small gaps in performance to full standalone units. These engines have incredibly good aftermarket support despite being reasonably uncommon.

Still waiting on the cams, they should be ground and shipped out this week. It took a full two weeks for the cores to clear customs on the way to Canada, probably harder to get them back in the states again. In the meantime I've been fooling around with the interior (interior panels, HVAC, wiring routing, etc) and attempting to make a new throttle body bellcrank/cam from scratch to fix the pedal ratio in the most roundabout way possible. Nothing pretty to post just yet, my shop is a complete disaster thanks to all of the flooding in western North Carolina routing itself through my basement.

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 29, 2018

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Anti-archives bump, working on a big ole post for this week :angel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUEVN2GzarQ

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 21, 2018

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Oh man, that's going to be cool as hell. Can't wait to see this thing running :stoked:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

My body is ready.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Two Forties Racing update:

Came to the conclusion that despite the cage updates my ridiculously long torso was incompatible with the 240; my last race would be the ChampCar national championship race at the National Corvette Museum motorsports park. Even with the added rally car style roof vents the 110°F+ temperatures were by far the biggest challenge to overcome that weekend due to our lack of cool suits. The car performed incredibly well with the exception of fuel starvation issues dropping our stint times to an uncompetitive 45 minutes and the unfathomable heat at one point boiling all of the fuel in the tank.

Seeing as it was the last few minutes of my last ever stint in the car I decided to unleash all ~140hp and managed eke out our fastest lap of the weekend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuhS6o1x3Y

We managed 21 out of 56 overall and second place in our class with barely any time wasted in the pits, couldn't have gone better.

Ford F-250 1X4 On Road Edition update:

Made a new 3" exhaust from the manifolds back with a 10,000 GVWR cat and cheapo thrush muffler to replace the pile of garbage and melted cats it had before, new floors finally installed (don't tell anyone I used panel adhesive instead of welding), completely trashed and heehawed pedal box replaced, new MAP, TPS, thermostat + housing, and more. Went from 7-9 mpg last year up to 16 mpg this week after fixing all of this garbage

I also went and checked out the mindblowingly cool local scrapyard (worth a separate post) and picked up some steel for various projects

One of which is this 200lb stand for my tubing bender which uses the truck hitch for anti-rotation

and also some brackets that bolt into the bumpers to allow me to carry silly things like 138 feet of 1.5"x0.120" DOM roll cage tubing

"That other car I sometimes work on" update:

Realized that my throttle body to pedal ratio resulted in a 1" idle-to-WOT full travel, I've spent more hours than I'd like to admit prototyping several different throttle cams to adjust that up to something reasonable while providing slightly non-linear response for better modulation

The other catch is that I also have to completely reverse the direction that the throttle cam is pulled from for packaging reasons

Several failed attempts taught me some valuable fabrication lessons such as "don't try and make throttle pulley barrels from scratch"

I'm down to this beautiful functional prototype that just needs to be vigorously attacked with a die grinder and belt sander to finish. I have the mounting bracket for the throttle cable in CAD but that'll take another scrapyard trip for 1/8" steel plate to finish

Mostly done with making the sparse race car style interior panels, started with the doors a while back by adding 21 captive weld nuts at strategic locations around the perimeter and center of the panel

Sacrificing some SHCS in the interest of time I made this collection of reverse transfer punches to mark the sheet for the future door panels

Install the punches into the captive nuts, flip the sheet onto the door, give it a few taps to transfer the bolt locations, and drill each to size

Fastened it down with temporary screws, trimmed the edges, and I'm left with a perfectly concave door panel with no weird kinks in the middle. Still working on my simple lightweight door latch mechanism but I'll add those, the door pulls, and the window straps shortly to finish them up before adding the coverings. I have most of the rear interior paneling in the car done too but I'll wait to post photos until it's all installed and pretty

Weirdly at the same time the Project Binky guys were building their masterpiece of an HVAC unit I shat out this little downsized monster on the left to serve as the defroster blower plenum.

Obviously some cleanup left to do but it fits snugly behind the dash and lines up perfectly with a fresh air vent on the right as an intake

On the drivetrain side of things my ECU tune arrived as did a pair of these beauties

Eager to hear what that configuration sounded like I went and ordered a spare set of each and installed them in this rally car I accidentally bought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUEVN2GzarQ

Whoops :doh:

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 29, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Accidentally

:getin:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

You going to stick with sheet metal for door panel or would you consider wood? Might save some weight.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Hahaha 1" pedal throw.

Imagining trying to drive a car set up like that is cracking me up.

Also I totally thought that video you posted earlier was just an example of the cams you bought you found somewhere, not that you bought a whole goddamn car and put the same cams in it!

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Coredump posted:

You going to stick with sheet metal for door panel or would you consider wood? Might save some weight.
Something like a thin birch plywood would save about a half pound per door if my math is right. I'm currently building them out of 0.063" 5052 aluminum so they're already pretty darn light compared to the original layers and layers of cardboard, paper, and vinyl. Definitely stealing the wood idea for the Swift though, it needs some door panel tweaks.

Nuevo posted:

Also I totally thought that video you posted earlier was just an example of the cams you bought you found somewhere, not that you bought a whole goddamn car and put the same cams in it!
A whole goddamn car and a literal truckload of spares, that's actually how I managed to send out cams for regrinds without actually disassembling the engine in the Opel

Oh and I found a trailer for crazy cheap locally so I bought that too, should be handy for getting the Swift up to its first proper stage rally. Usually utility trailers are awful for cars because of the tall sides but the Swift sits high enough off the ground that the doors swing open right over the fenders, rally cars are super convenient

The whole fleet fits snugly against my garage after shuffling the big hunks of stone on the right further over

I'm splitting ownership with a friend of mine who is also running the 240SX Champcar. We're registered for the Empire State Performance Rally in October but the car needs a small amount of prep before we take it racing; it was rallycrossed back in the day but never stage rallied according to the SCCA logbook. Hopefully we don't die?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

You have the best collection of vehicles. I want a swift rally car so badly now...

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I'm splitting ownership with a friend of mine who is also running the 240SX Champcar. We're registered for the Empire State Performance Rally in October but the car needs a small amount of prep before we take it racing; it was rallycrossed back in the day but never stage rallied according to the SCCA logbook. Hopefully we don't die?

ESPR has a history of being rough on cars, bring spare suspension or drive to the conditions of the road. Recent road prep pics look better but they don't show you every mile of road. You may want to talk to a NASA scrutineer about the car to see if it needs updates.... but NASA is.... rather lax with regard to tech compared to the other sanctioning bodies so you'll probably be fine to show up with an SCCA book as long as the rest of the car meets the current rules.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
Gee, I just go whole hog and FIA 253 the car!

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Kaptainballistik posted:

Gee, I just go whole hog and FIA 253 the car!
That'd be a boatload of work to try and get done by the end of October for the rally, there's barely even a cage in the car; not even any door bars to speak of.

For starters we'd need to bend up, bead roll, and weld in new wider sections of floor to both sides of the center tunnel to be able to fit modern seats and have enough headroom to clear the cage.

Bend, notch, and fit proper curved door bars and FIA spec windshield support bars.

Make a shedload of oversized taco gussets to meet RA, ARA, NASA, and FIA rules all at once.

Add a full X-bar to the main hoop, weld in those taco gussets, and add an extra roof bar to meet the grandfathered cage rules for NASA.

Paint the whole drat thing, then get an email back from one of the scrutineers about adding even more gussets, grind the paint off, and weld those in too.

Even after all of that work we'd still need to spend two entire days working on seat brackets and mounting plates for the new six point harnesses, that'd be bonkers to do a week before the race.

As would fabbing up a passenger side footrest to brace against

and importing 165/65-14 gravel rally tires from the UK while also replacing the destroyed trailer tires.

The real kicker would be discovering with two days left to go before the 13 hour drive to New York that the trailer suspension is completely worn out

and that the rally wheels sold with the car as spares don't actually fit because the factory wheel studs are laughably short.

You'd have to be some big dumb idiots to try all of that stuff :suicide:

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 3, 2018

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
:allears:

I love it

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

:ck5:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holy poo poo at both the post and this emote.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

That'd be a boatload of work to try and get done by the end of October for the rally, there's barely even a cage in the car; not even any door bars to speak of.

For starters we'd need to bend up, bead roll, and weld in new wider sections of floor to both sides of the center tunnel to be able to fit modern seats and have enough headroom to clear the cage.

Bend, notch, and fit proper curved door bars and FIA spec windshield support bars.

Make a shedload of oversized taco gussets to meet RA, ARA, NASA, and FIA rules all at once.

Add a full X-bar to the main hoop, weld in those taco gussets, and add an extra roof bar to meet the grandfathered cage rules for NASA.

Paint the whole drat thing, then get an email back from one of the scrutineers about adding even more gussets, grind the paint off, and weld those in too.

Even after all of that work we'd still need to spend two entire days working on seat brackets and mounting plates for the new six point harnesses, that'd be bonkers to do a week before the race.

As would fabbing up a passenger side footrest to brace against

and importing 165/65-14 gravel rally tires from the UK while also replacing the destroyed trailer tires.

The real kicker would be discovering with two days left to go before the 13 hour drive to New York that the trailer suspension is completely worn out

and that the rally wheels sold with the car as spares don't actually fit because the factory wheel studs are laughably short.

You'd have to be some big dumb idiots to try all of that stuff :suicide:

loving heroes. Seriously.

Idiots, sure, but heroically idiotic.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

HandlingByJebus posted:

loving heroes. Seriously.

Idiots, sure, but heroically idiotic.

Not an empty quote.

:iia:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:bravo:

setting up harnesses is way more work than it seems like it should be

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
You loving legend.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MonkeyNutZ posted:

So the trailer was cheap for a reason then :v:

How does the truck do towing fully loaded? Any towing mods planned? Airlift springs are cheap and work great to level out the load.

Super jealous tho man, I really miss my Swift, one of the few cars i regret getting rid of. I bet it's going to make a kick rear end rally car.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

That is absolutely fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos