Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Mouse trap is reasonably close, I'm staying at the Crown Plaza WL so it's a long walk or a short Uber away for me. Unfortunately I didn't bring any beer from Florida but it would still be nice to meet up. Saturday night can definitely be free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Mouse trap is reasonably close, I'm staying at the Crown Plaza WL so it's a long walk or a short Uber away for me. Unfortunately I didn't bring any beer from Florida but it would still be nice to meet up. Saturday night can definitely be free.

I'm in. Earliest I could be there would be 845 or so.

Also, PM me what I owe you for the Huna and extras.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

at heavy seas for their schnee boot release
it's kind of really good? a bit strong at 13% but like kind of really fruity tasting for an eisbock
would recommend if you're in the area

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

SA meet and also my first post in sixteen months. Hiiii

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
earned the coveted Triple Drain-Pour (2015) badge the other night! James & Julie wasn't a surprise- it was great at first, so i bought extra, then it went acetic after a few months and was not something that got better with age. whatever. despite being brett beers, Century Ale and Rising Tide's Bosun's Call were both oxidized as gently caress, although i guess the Century Ale could have been some similar-tasting off-flavor; Bosun's Call barely let off any pressure when i popped the cork, so that's not as much of a surprise.

earning Better Luck (2015) with Golden Brett right now- phenolic, fruity, and dry as hell with a weird, spicy funk. i definitely don't love it- it's leans a shade towards plastic- but it's interesting enough that i'll keep drinking it.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

funkybottoms posted:

earned the coveted Triple Drain-Pour (2015) badge the other night! James & Julie wasn't a surprise- it was great at first, so i bought extra, then it went acetic after a few months and was not something that got better with age. whatever. despite being brett beers, Century Ale and Rising Tide's Bosun's Call were both oxidized as gently caress, although i guess the Century Ale could have been some similar-tasting off-flavor; Bosun's Call barely let off any pressure when i popped the cork, so that's not as much of a surprise.

earning Better Luck (2015) with Golden Brett right now- phenolic, fruity, and dry as hell with a weird, spicy funk. i definitely don't love it- it's leans a shade towards plastic- but it's interesting enough that i'll keep drinking it.

yeah i wasnt a fan of the first distro'd version of golden brett but the later vintages were much better.

i think that whole era of allagash stuff had a lot of signs of growing pains - i remember my tongue being annihilated by a year old james & julie. bummer about century, i like that one a lot fresh

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm drinking some beer right now that my boy Vertigo sent me a while ago, a Hardywood Gingerbread Stout. Pretty good stuff if you like Christmas in a bottle. Even a year of this sitting in the back of my fridge, ignored, it's still solid as heck. Probably going to go with a Two Hearted next because great beer that you can buy on a shelf will never get old, but this was a good treat :cheerdoge:

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

SUPER HASSLER posted:

SA meet and also my first post in sixteen months. Hiiii

Welcome back, stick around a while

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Speaking of Allagash bretts, I just had a li'l brett that was godawful. It tasted like mushrooms and cardboard. Is it safe to assume that's not how it's supposed to taste?

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
How can we beercation, A stable genius, if you pass out before vat 92?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Defeated by nutella pastrywine, can't make it through the unmistakably sour Boon discovery box :cheerdoge:

Real talk, that manual in this box is pretty ridiculous :ohdear:

air- fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 3, 2018

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ive given up on trying new beers regularly so tonights beer is a rochefort 8

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
Is NmFree still around? I, shamefully, still owe him a homebrew secret santa, and this is the first time in several years that I've lived somewhere that I could actually brew.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Cloks posted:

Speaking of Allagash bretts, I just had a li'l brett that was godawful. It tasted like mushrooms and cardboard. Is it safe to assume that's not how it's supposed to taste?

Probably. Most Brett just come across as fruity to me, with a few more extreme examples being leathery (Orval, depending on age) or sweaty/cheesy (Funky Gold).

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Cloks posted:

I don't get that when I've had it. And I'd totally be into it if I did get mushrooms in the palate. Little Snorkel...

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
My friend is going to have her art on one of the Collective Arts Origin of Darkness series bottles. It's pretty cool, just hoping I can grab some before it disappears from my nearby shop.
http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2018/11/01/collective-arts-brewing-releasing-origin-of-darkness-collaborative-barrel-aged-stout-series/

Her's is the first one, it's for the collab with Wild Beer Co., which features caramelized white miso.

Also, and I don't think we've put up anything official about it, on December 9th, at Throwback Brewery (where I work) in North Hampton, NH, we'll be having Fat Alberta Day, the annual release of our peanut chocolate imperial stout. We'll have some other dark beer goodness on, too, some barrel-aged stuff I think. List hasn't been finalized yet, but there's some real good stuff down in the basement. If you live in the area or will happen to be around, stop on by! It'll be crowded, since the place fills up pretty fast with most of our events, and this on is pretty popular, but it'll be fun.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Ive given up on trying new beers regularly so tonights beer is a rochefort 8

This but SN Celebration.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Lmao just lmao that Dan doesn't think VSOJ is a raisin bomb. Fyi Comp Aub was very much a fan of you (I'm pretty sure she hates Dan though).

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Lmao just lmao that Dan doesn't think VSOJ is a raisin bomb. Fyi Comp Aub was very much a fan of you (I'm pretty sure she hates Dan though).

That's just because I bought her Malort...

Nice meeting you guys!

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

Cloks posted:

no, unless it was super old. fresher it's fairly pineapple-y

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Warped wing made a gose I like !

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Yeah, so these mini bottles from Off Color are absolutely the best packaging idea a brewery has had since the general walk away from bombers. Cygnet is GREAT but like even the great AWAs, I prefer 8 ounces to 25.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

Warped wing made a gose I like !

Which one is it? I've had a fair amount of their stuff, and even with fairly low expectations I've always managed to be underwhelmed. The fact that they're such a big name in the area is the only reason I keep intermittently trying their stuff to see if there's something I'm missing.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Had a nitro brown law with coconut and coffee the other night from Modern Times. It was great! So great that I actually made a post about it that same night but I accidentally closed all my tabs and didn't feel like rewriting it till today. :effort:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

while i was a little sad that there were so few people in my polling station this morning, i'm proud of the fact that there were employees from five different breweries in there at the same time

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Waiting for that Bend trip report...

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I want to be known at a brewery like I'm known at my local cafe :smith: a drunk.

I just got my u-haul box with my foam wine shipper! I'm ready to send really disappointing beer from San Diego ! I hope you don't like ipas! I refuse to send them :colbert:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

dphi posted:

We’re all still hungover.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

dphi posted:

Still drunk and also a ghost

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
We are at Bissell Brothers and both ordered lagers, are we doing this wrong?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
This is a shot in the dark, but does anyone have insight RE: Cedar Rapids, Iowa, breweries? I'll be there Thanksgiving weekend.

At a glance, it's got:

- Clock House Brewing
- Iowa Brewing Co.
- Lion Bridge Brewing Co.
- Quarter Barrel
- Thew
- Third Base

Apache
May 11, 2004

Stopped by a Veil preview event in Norfolk over the weekend while visiting the parents, had some pretty solid hazy IPAs, but I think my favorites were the non-haze beers, the Apple Brandy Barleywine and the BA Sleeping Forever were both better than the haze I tried at the event. I think they'll make a good addition to the Norfolk area when they get there, though I hope their taproom prices are more reasonable than the event prices at 6 dollars for a 6 oz pour or 8 dollars for the 12 oz. I'm hoping they are open by my next visit.

I also visited New Realm's location, which had solid, but not spectacular beers, and Commonwealth, which was good as always.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Portland + Bend trip report, aka spending Thursday-Saturday nights very drunk.

Did a mini crawl around SE. Baerlic listed closing time at 10 PM, but the doors were locked as we got off a Lyft around 9:35. Can't blame em... the place was totally empty. Walked over to Beermongers where they had the lovely pFriem Japanese rice lager aka the craft version of Kirin/Asahi and it was :cheerdoge: Not much to say about Apex this time since about half of their draft list was high abv barrel aged beer.

Went over to Modern Times and I like that they mostly kept the vibe of the space intact; Commons was still around on my last trip to Portland. Not shocked at how the most hyped beer I was told to try was also most underwhelming: Suggestion of Mass, the collab with JWB. Wish they'd 2oz pours a la Cascade since even 5 oz of the big hyper sugary stouts was tough to get through. 3x 5oz stouts also cost over $20!

Bend: Absurd amounts of good beer here. Crux was my overall highlight and went through a lot of brewery only exclusives including a nice brut IPA. Cleaner and not as champagne forward compared to what I've tried from St. Elmo and Hops & Grain.

I wish every place had Boneyard's ordering system where you can send orders in via a mobile web browser. Really liked their "craft malt liquor" called Liquid Vows clocking in at 8% and an awesome English barleywine, Wooden Femur.

Personal highlight from the Ale Apothecary bottle share was mostly west coast stuff for me: Fundamental Observation, Fremont Brew 2000, Cable Car Ale. A bunch of new to me de Garde beers like The Boysenberry and The Blossom.

Keep an eye on Boss Rambler Beer Club coming out of Bend. Still in their preliminary stages but already looking very promising.

air- fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 8, 2018

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Apache posted:

Stopped by a Veil preview event in Norfolk over the weekend while visiting the parents, had some pretty solid hazy IPAs, but I think my favorites were the non-haze beers, the Apple Brandy Barleywine and the BA Sleeping Forever were both better than the haze I tried at the event. I think they'll make a good addition to the Norfolk area when they get there, though I hope their taproom prices are more reasonable than the event prices at 6 dollars for a 6 oz pour or 8 dollars for the 12 oz. I'm hoping they are open by my next visit.

yeah, no.

Circle of Wolves and its variants are dope, though.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

air- posted:

Went over to Modern Times and I like that they mostly kept the vibe of the space intact; Commons was still around on my last trip to Portland. Not shocked at how the most hyped beer I was told to try was also most underwhelming: Suggestion of Mass, the collab with JWB. Wish they'd 2oz pours a la Cascade since even 5 oz of the big hyper sugary stouts was tough to get through. 3x 5oz stouts also cost over $20!

When I went to portland and the MT taproom, I literally heard in a huffy voice on some patrons way out "They're charging CA prices in portland" :lol:

Which was true, they were the priceiest even factoring in a day trip to de guarde.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Just curious, what are the usual pint prices for beer around the country? Prices out in CA didn't seem that out of place from FL prices so now I'm curious. At a brewery i'll expect $5 pints of run of the mill stuff, $6pints fancier pale ales, $6/10oz for mix culture stuff, and then for pastry stouts at AC you're lookin at about $5/5oz

air-
Sep 24, 2007

$5-8 for a full pour (for 12 oz, pint, or 500ml). Very rarely see anything hit $1/oz here and even then it's likely not worth the price.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I had no idea that CA prices were a thing much less other cities have vastly diff price ranges. Besides state taxes and whatnot

So, it varies from place to place obviously. 4oz can be $2 or $2.50. Then you got your 8oz and 10oz pours that can range from $3-$4.50. 12oz-16oz is the usual $5-$7 and if the place has a mug option they go for $8-$10

This is all generalized price ranges from the places I've been at here in San Diego and obviously higher ABV beers (imperial stouts, double ipas, barleywine, ext ext) are smaller pours and higher priced. Like $5--6 for a 4oz pour

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Beer trip report.
Will report back if anything defies expectation, in either direction:

Beersel zwet.be from 3 fonteinen. (3 font are, as previously established, one of my favourites but I didn't know they did a porter)
Dark City from Northern Monk (this year's Dark City, with Lervig, not the old one, with De Molen)
Petite Sour Peach from Crooked Stave (this is unknown to me, but sounds good and is rated well on untappd)
"We are Beer Edinburgh", which is something like a 4 way Collab. Tempest and Gipsy Hill worked on it, so it should be good.
Bush De Noel - because the store had 3 Xmas beers and this one was 12% so why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

mehall posted:

Will report back if anything defies expectation, in either direction:

Beersel zwet.be from 3 fonteinen. (3 font are, as previously established, one of my favourites but I didn't know they did a porter)

If you're expecting a standard porter then this will definitely defy expectation.