Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I'm sexy Feyd Rautha emerging from -presumably- a steam bath with winged underpants irl.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Oct 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I'm sexy Beast Rabban emerging from -presumaby- a steam bath with grubby y-fronts irl.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I'm the heart-plugged sex slave responsible for baby powderin' up Vlad's suspensor suit every morning

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
i'm the battle pug

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m the combination periscope/moped thing the emperor and his bros use to watch the battle for Arakeen.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Iceatollah posted:

Does anyone else think that the Machine Thinking of Dune was partially inspired by Marx's theory of Commodity Fetishism? Specifically, the reification of a social relationship between people into a material relationship between things. If there is a dominant trend in the sorts of thinking that are rejected by the Jihad, it appears to be the idea of treating people as things occupying a specialized purpose, rather than as people that can act outside of the reified boxes that they are placed in by machine thinking, which seems to have some similarities to Marx's understanding.

Lines up with Frank's philosophy to a T. Look up his thoughts on capitalism, his whole thing was uncommodification, and also the environment.

the weirdest conservative ever.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

He was a weird old man who politically defies modern categorization.

He was conservative and libertarian but also has a vein of leftism running thru him. He apparently saw the inevitable in homosexuality becoming normalized yet let his gay son die without really knowing him. He was a weird old man

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

basic hitler posted:

He was a weird old man who politically defies modern categorization.

He was conservative and libertarian but also has a vein of leftism running thru him. He apparently saw the inevitable in homosexuality becoming normalized yet let his gay son die without really knowing him. He was a weird old man

Given how much he talked about homosexual death commandos I think he thought gayness was all about thanatos, the death drive, which seems harsh for gay gentlemen who just want to get their bone on

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

dreadmojo posted:

Given how much he talked about homosexual death commandos I think he thought gayness was all about thanatos, the death drive, which seems harsh for gay gentlemen who just want to get their bone on

It was a popular take for a while, esp. in the early 1900s. I don't know if it came from Freud (because I haven't read all nine thousand of his books/essays) but I think it predates him by a couple decades. Probably the easiest explanation for the germ is that he didn't grow up around many gay people - that he knew of.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
This thread made me watch the Lynch Dune again and now I feel nauseous and dizzy. Thanks alot, jerks. t :mad:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Check out what I saw at Barnes & Noble today:

(sorry for the quality on the last one)

sadly it was $100 since it was a first edition :(

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

phasmid posted:

It was a popular take for a while, esp. in the early 1900s. I don't know if it came from Freud (because I haven't read all nine thousand of his books/essays) but I think it predates him by a couple decades. Probably the easiest explanation for the germ is that he didn't grow up around many gay people - that he knew of.

I think there is a lot of Freudian leanings in his dune series given the fundamental differences between the outward looking guild and the inward Bene Gesserit. There is a theme of guys looking to penetrate and gals nurturing. The concept of the female fish speakers as a pacifying force and the previous generations of male dominated fremen during the initial expansion of leto's reign. Also homosexuality in his books seems to have a bit of a Greek classics vibe to it, so the books have an odd quality to them. A mix of older ideas and newer ones.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I finally watched the movie on Netflix a week ago, and I really should reread the books. Not to mention all that talk about ending at Children of Dune made me start looking for a cheap copy of God Emperor of Dune.

Also: Paul and the Giant Sietch.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

mojo1701a posted:

I finally watched the movie on Netflix a week ago, and I really should reread the books. Not to mention all that talk about ending at Children of Dune made me start looking for a cheap copy of God Emperor of Dune.

Jamis*

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

mojo1701a posted:

Imo you can go straight from Dune Messiah to God Emperor and not miss a beat. Children adds nothing to the story and is painful to read.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

thatfatkid posted:

Imo you can go straight from Dune Messiah to God Emperor and not miss a beat. Children adds nothing to the story and is painful to read.

Alia and the baron beg to differ.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

phasmid posted:

Yeah, I think ol' Frank was a product of his times more than anything. I mean, he was born in 1920. It wasn't until 2003 that the SCOTUS finally ruled sodomy laws unconstitutional. Granted by that point only a dozen states still had them and they tended to not be enforced, but still...

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Clarence Boddicker walks into the throne room of the Emperor of the Known Universe: "Witches leave."

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

thatfatkid posted:

I find the payoff at the end of Children to be worth it though. Leto II owns.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Clarence Boddicker walks into the throne room of the Emperor of the Known Universe: "Witches leave."

Lol

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I'd Buy that for a Spice-Dollar!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Dead or alive, your water is coming with me.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
*covers self in sandtrout and smashes dozens of qanats* “Your move, creep”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
ED-209 really makes the Butlerihan Jihad make sense.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

thatfatkid posted:

I've got to disagree on both counts. It's the book that hands off the narrative from Paul to Leto

We see Leto's persona amalgamated with Harum's. As well, Duncan Idaho is introduced as a thinking character. Before, he was just a good lieutenant.

As for the painful read, well, I've said before that I count the riddle game with Namri as the point when the series really starts to take off.

The very first story, about the cave of life, buried in the desert. Leto's response, that his uncle Stilgar had told him of this cave. That it had been sealed to keep cowards from hiding there.

It's a game to test maturity, to see if a child has become an adult. So, the first question is if he knows where babies come from. And Gurney is just there with an empty look on his face while the two trade barbs over his head

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
You guys ever think.... maybe we're the sand worms??

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Murray Mantoinette posted:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Check out what I saw at Barnes & Noble today:

(sorry for the quality on the last one)

sadly it was $100 since it was a first edition :(

Did you buy it?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Noooope

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

:commissar:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I bought my copies of the Dune books and a couple other Frank novels in the $.99 section but if you want to Venmo me $100 + tax and shipping it's yours

e: holy poo poo maybe I should go buy it :chanpop:

the one I saw was the 1st edition hardcover, too, that's the paperback

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 2, 2018

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Why walk without rhythm

https://i.imgur.com/qWbezHP.gifv

when you can ride without fucks given?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Because Shai Hulud travels faster than a sled and has a mouth three hundred feet in diameter.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Shaitan*

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

phasmid posted:

Because Shai Hulud travels faster than a sled and has a mouth three hundred feet in diameter.

yeah but what if you surfed on the ever-cresting sandwave of the Maker

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Prolonged Priapism posted:

yeah but what if you surfed on the ever-cresting sandwave of the Maker

You would get sucked down into a sand vortex and possibly blow up in loving high style, just like a certain planetologist.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

phasmid posted:

You would get sucked down into a sand vortex and possibly blow up in loving high style, just like a certain planetologist.

Hi I’m Liet Kynes, welcome to Jackass!

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Hi I’m Liet Kynes, welcome to Jackass!

I'm Paul Muad'dib, and this is the Danger of Prescience.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm Duncan Idaho, and this is the Assassination of the God-Emperor (attempt 349).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm Leto 2, and this is true tyranny.