Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'm watching a Quiet Man playthrough and it's incredible. The random xXxLatinoThugZxXx everywhere in New York (?), the Latino thug leader with the weed jacket and his henchmen entering a club alongside a guy in a cloak and crow mask, the Latino Thugs (tm) driving in bright green (weed?) vehicles with no cops in sight, the Latino Thugs waiting in subways just to initiate fighting sequences with the main character (I guess New York (?) is like Final Fight according to Square Enix), the woman making ahegao faces when you die before the checkpoint reloads, the main character's expression never changing in addition to his in-game model looking like an action figure, the (unintentional?) Oedipus complex with his mother and girlfriend sharing the same actress. What the hell is this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Things I never expected to happen: Someone sending me a message telling me they got a piece of my art tattooed on their body. Life is weird sometimes.

What art

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Internet Kraken posted:

Things I never expected to happen: Someone sending me a message telling me they got a piece of my art tattooed on their body. Life is weird sometimes..

Yeah but your art is really good and last time you dumped a few in this thread I was like "drat those would make good tattoos" so...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

GUI posted:

I'm watching a Quiet Man playthrough and it's incredible. The random xXxLatinoThugZxXx everywhere in New York (?), the Latino thug leader with the weed jacket and his henchmen entering a club alongside a guy in a cloak and crow mask, the Latino Thugs (tm) driving in bright green (weed?) vehicles with no cops in sight, the Latino Thugs waiting in subways just to initiate fighting sequences with the main character (I guess New York (?) is like Final Fight according to Square Enix), the woman making ahegao faces when you die before the checkpoint reloads, the main character's expression never changing in addition to his in-game model looking like an action figure, the (unintentional?) Oedipus complex with his mother and girlfriend sharing the same actress. What the hell is this.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What playthrough are you guys watching? I’m interested

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

What playthrough are you guys watching? I’m interested

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/330161428?t=02h48m11s

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Phantom Brave was a pretty good srpg with some neat systems imo because in addition to the typical excessive numbers and leveling and poo poo you find in NIS strategy rpgs, you had an interesting system where your units could only stay out on the field for a set number of turns and they would spawn in with whatever item you equipped them with and you would need to confine them to whatever item you can find on the map so that they could even be summoned in the first place, but depending on the type of item they are confined to, they're given some different stat bonuses or stat penalties. When their summon time runs out, there is a percentage chance that they'll take the item you confined them to with them. As a result, you can rack up a bunch of items and you can level them up and unlock new skills with them and merge different things together so you get even better items and blah blah blah lots of fusing and merging of stronger and stronger things and even getting to the point where you're doing things like summoning a character who is equipped with a particularly powerful item that you then confine another character to so that that character is super buffed by the item.

I also liked how the movement was based on a radial system so instead of moving from individual grid to individual grid, you had a circle around you which you could move within and certain attacks let you attack from various different ranges. On top of that, some maps have lower friction to them so you can choose to move a tiny bit within your radius and end up sliding far far in whatever direction you chose, essentially getting free movement, so that you can get closer to attack the enemies.

I just really like Phantom Brave and I think it is one of NIS's better SRPGs, if not their best.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Spanish Manlove posted:

congratulations! Did they send a pic of the tattoo?

I didn't even particularly like this one but if they did, well they can do what they want and I won't mind. Its just strange to think that something you designed is etched into someone's skin now.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Yeah but your art is really good and last time you dumped a few in this thread I was like "drat those would make good tattoos" so...

I don't know the first thing about what makes for an appealing tattoo but thanks!

doingitwrong posted:

Is that Jennifer Hale pretending to have an old western accent?

Yes

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have a Hebrew phrase tattooed on my arm and redneck Christians routinely think it's Arabic lmfao

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/kuraine/status/1058536571962560512

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Quiet Man looks cool

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

I didn't even particularly like this one but if they did, well they can do what they want and I won't mind. Its just strange to think that something you designed is etched into someone's skin now.

I don't know the first thing about what makes for an appealing tattoo but thanks!

Yes

Congrats on making it, for some definition of making it

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Bethesda also showed off a trailer for TES 6 that consisted of literally nothing after they showed TES Mobile. Most companies seem to understand that mobile is a big market but your traditional audience will protest loudly when they feel you focus on it to the neglect of them.

Meanwhile Activision goes and tries to pass of a mobile game as a esport.

To be fair, though, Bethesda had poo poo presentations that focused the majority of their time on ESO, the Elder Scrolls card game, mobile games, and stuff like Creation Club. This year though they were like "Okay more mainline game announcements."

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 3, 2018

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Revolver Ocelot

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I watch the Smash snuff video and when Kirby survived I got real emotional except now I think about a world where he's destined to wander alone through a wasteland forever and it makes me sad

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hokuto no Kirby

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Rarity posted:

I watch the Smash snuff video and when Kirby survived I got real emotional except now I think about a world where he's destined to wander alone through a wasteland forever and it makes me sad

He's destined to save his 70+ friends so they can all have a big party where he gets to eat a lot and have fun :colbert:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I finished Lightning Returns

i'm finally free of the FF13 series

ON TO FF15

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Missing 14

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Missing 14

never play MMOs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

Hokuto no Kirby

Kirby No Uta

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Andrast posted:

never play

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Andrast posted:

never play MMOs

you play a gacha which I feel is further up the "don't play" list than an MMO

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
FF14 is the one good mmo

It's good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

you play a gacha which I feel is further up the "don't play" list than an MMO

never play gacha games either

and definitely never spend money on one

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

hehe well i feel that i have "gacha" on this one mmo disliker ;)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why are all the gacha games so drat... busy? Like they always have terribly cluttered UIs with a million notification menus that seem to me to be antithetical to being easy to understand and use.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Play gacha games and MMOs and spend extra money on them. Buy in-game currency. Do it you cowards. Just loving do it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

precision posted:

Why are all the gacha games so drat... busy? Like they always have terribly cluttered UIs with a million notification menus that seem to me to be antithetical to being easy to understand and use.

Probably some deep psychological thing about how when you overwhelm and confuse people with sensory stimuli they're more likely to throw money down to make it all go away. Or the people who make gacha games are paid $3 an hour and exert the lowest effort possible, who knows.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

precision posted:

To constantly barrage you with brain-muddling sensation and lights and sounds and confusion to lull you into an idiot trance of endless money spending and trick you into following color and light patterns that you think are 'lucky' or indicating pending success

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Kirby misses his friends but he doesn't like to dwell on the negatives so he spends his time getting excited about cool rocks

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

I have only played the fire emblem one but it's probably because they need to keep adding content to keep people playing (and spending). That means constant feature creep, which in turn results in a billion currencies and menus over time.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Kirby is going to eat God and the stars and then the void itself because he is the void and entropy eternal, and then when he is All and there is Nothing, the next feast will create itself

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yknow how the 'DING' effect when you level up in WoW became so well known that you probably can still imagine the BWOMMMM sound and the 'yessss' feeling you got from it even if you haven't played WoW in years? Slot machines I mean gacha is that but on every screen stuffed into every corner all the time.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm going to make a game where instead of spending money to get power ups or good things, the game degrades and gets less functional and you have to pay money just to maintain the game at a base level. I'll call it Call of Entropy Fight Go.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

kirby devouring all existence and uncontrollably growing in size, their pink flesh multiplying exponentially, at odds with the all-consuming void within, until the void is overwhelmed, and all that is, is pink

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Andrast posted:

I have only played the fire emblem one but it's probably because they need to keep adding content to keep people playing (and spending). That means constant feature creep, which in turn results in a billion currencies and menus over time.

I actually found FEGacha reasonably easy to just pick up and play. I had fun with it for a week or so until I realized it was never gonna get more fun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Gacha games are literally "what if a slot machine gave you a free spin every 24 hours and you could carry it around with you" and its disgusting

They are a blemish on the Epic awesomeness that is video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

do not consume gacha games, devour them, eat the flesh of their creators, inhale the viscera

become kirby

• Locked thread