Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

reignonyourparade posted:

I agree it was a false flag, but I think it was the opposite. It was an attempt to refocus the aldish gefendur's hate on Cresce, because everyone hates Cresce and if Cresce is trying to divide us that means it's the time for unity.

Yeah if nothing else an obvious result of that attack is that the Aldish Gefunder would pretty much have to denounce it and acclaim their Ssaelit countrymen as kin just to not be associated with Cresse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Counterpoint: Alderode is ruled by the four members of the Vits council, of which Bodie is one, and Bodie's plan was to export a viciously contagious, uncurable plague to his countrymen in order to strengthen the Ssaelit's political strength. That's what the highest level of political power in Alderode looks like. They're not even considering Cresce versus their jockeying for internal power.

I mean, everything we've seen points to a country that's on the verge of shredding itself into pieces over religious differences - the Aldish Gefendur are planning on reducing Ssaelits' political representation via the rebalancing plan, which is why Bodie was so anxious to mass-murder a bunch of them. I can't see Duane's death having the opposite effect given that's how far down the rabbit hole they've already gone. I sincerely doubt the Ssaelit will believe Gefendur denials re: their involvement with Cresce to assassinate Duane, and I sincerely doubt the rebalancing plan was discarded. I'm actually pretty hyped for the plot to get Nary to Alderode so we can get a look at what's happened there over the past 6 years.

It really does seem like Cresce has picked a fairly optimal time to strike at Alderode, given its internal tensions.

Also Bastion was clearly casting in the last page he was on and is not visible on this page. He's either escaped completely or he is about to spring Elka and Toma pretty hard.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Counterpoint: Alderode is ruled by the four members of the Vits council, of which Bodie is one, and Bodie's plan was to export a viciously contagious, uncurable plague to his countrymen in order to strengthen the Ssaelit's political strength. That's what the highest level of political power in Alderode looks like. They're not even considering Cresce versus their jockeying for internal power.

I mean, everything we've seen points to a country that's on the verge of shredding itself into pieces over religious differences - the Aldish Gefendur are planning on reducing Ssaelits' political representation via the rebalancing plan, which is why Bodie was so anxious to mass-murder a bunch of them. I can't see Duane's death having the opposite effect given that's how far down the rabbit hole they've already gone. I sincerely doubt the Ssaelit will believe Gefendur denials re: their involvement with Cresce to assassinate Duane, and I sincerely doubt the rebalancing plan was discarded. I'm actually pretty hyped for the plot to get Nary to Alderode so we can get a look at what's happened there over the past 6 years.

It really does seem like Cresce has picked a fairly optimal time to strike at Alderode, given its internal tensions.

Also Bastion was clearly casting in the last page he was on and is not visible on this page. He's either escaped completely or he is about to spring Elka and Toma pretty hard.

It's been pointed out many times in the comic that the only reason the Ssaelit haven't been exterminated in Alderode is that running a proper genocide would leave the Gefendur majority vulnerable to invasion from Cresce, and this has been how the Ssaelit secured their place in society from the start.

Similarly, the whole Crescean communo-monarchy is ruled by a transparent den of vipers, their social system is viewed by absolutely everyone as ripe for robbing blind, and it's all just barely held together because all the megalomaniacs in charge agree they need to eliminate Alderode as a threat before they can get down to murdering each other for the country's spoils

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 19, 2018

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Yeah, the underlying dramatic irony here is for all the hatred brewing between these two countries, they both intrinsically depend on each other to function in any way that even remotely resembles stability.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Meanwhile Sharteshane is a literal den of scum and villainy but trundles along stably with organized crime and big business (but I repeat myself) running the show behind a puppet king.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
So, Cutter's endgame isn't just to kill all humans, but to destroy their souls and cycle of reincarnation via the khert, right?

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 20, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A.o.D. posted:

So, Cutter's endgame isn't just to kill all humans, but to destroy their sound and cycle of reincarnation via the khert, right?

Quite likely.

That may not be precisely Ilganyag's plan, though.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 20, 2018

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

I think it's likely Ilganyag wants out of the khert, but whether or not that would necessitate destroying it remains to be seen. A really interesting question is why she's trapped there - senet beasts are made of first materials and don't have souls, so she shouldn't be able to interact with the khert at all.

In other news, we have the second best chump villain name in Hart Hetr, who is going to get a truly well-deserved murdering by somebody at that shrine.

I also feel like Toma has to meet Matty pretty soon because the poor child has not have a single decent, dependable adult in his entire life and really deserves one.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_114.html

"You wish you had a dangerous pair." I love Elka.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

I think it's likely Ilganyag wants out of the khert, but whether or not that would necessitate destroying it remains to be seen. A really interesting question is why she's trapped there - senet beasts are made of first materials and don't have souls, so she shouldn't be able to interact with the khert at all.

Ruckmearkha also seems to accept I's current state pretty much at face value, although he doesn't seem to have intellectual curiosity so much as enjoy eating intellectual curiosity, so his "she's stuck in the khert forever, very sad, very stupid, i am a better god" bit might not have a huge amount of metaphysical info in it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

He seems pretty legit interested in and excited by new things he discovers - like the little ghost kid - even when they don't do anything to serve his appetites so IDK about that, it seems like he's genuinely engaged with the world and appreciates knowledge for the sake of knowledge (or at least novelty). It's just that for him liking something and wanting to eat something are largely the same impulse.

His whole memory-eating thing does sort of raise questions about the idea that "senet beasts can't interact with the khert"; if he's not sucking the khert out of people what is he doing?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats what the venom is for

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Bastion says the same thing about her right after he escapes Juste, and he's her favorite, so he'd know. She founded the Black Tongues to escape the khert.
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch12/ch12_67.html

But the silver eel explicitly fucks with the laws of reality and Duane and the eel interact in some capacity. Ilganyag sure as poo poo wants him with the eel - she's been feeding him info to make absolutely sure he chases it down.

Edit: people don't have their own khert, they exist and are governed by one universal khert, which does a lot of managing the laws of reality on its own. On death, people's accumulated memories are taken into the khert, where they are split apart and scrambled, but exist forever. Ruck sucks the memories out of people, permanently destroying them, so when they die, those lost memories won't be restored or keep existing.

First materials and senet beasts (whose bodies are first materials) are not governed by the one universal khert, which is why they are pymary proof. They have their own internal isolated khert. Specialized stones can be used to "break into" that khert and install programming, which is how pymarics are made. Nothing mortal has its own independent khert the way first materials and senet beasts do.

TheFuzzyLumpkin fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 25, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ruck doesn't destroy the memories, he keeps them around inside himself. What happens when he dies? That's probably an interesting question. Can you harvest memories from a dead efheby?

Also Ash has said we currently have enough in-comic information to correctly guess what's Sette's whole origins / khertweirdness deal. :raise: I'm trying not to read too much into the timing based on Anadyne's transfiguration. We know Sette is treated as a human by the khert for pymaric purposes, not a senet beast or something weirder. Her main strange khert characteristics are heightened detection (which plats have in a different way) and the thing where she dove through Duane's shadow into the khert, which is literally impossible.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

He absolutely destroys the memories for his victim. Once he's eaten them, they've been removed from the human permanently and are not recoverable, which is why Roger is so hosed. And I'm not sure he does or doesn't destroy them once he takes them - it hasn't been stated clearly either way, though every reference to it in the Tumblr has used a food comparison, so I think even if he retains the memories it's not likely he cares about them that much.

Senet beasts, like two-toes, do not have their memories taken in by the khert when they die. Wrights to make pymarics and construct artificial personalities use memories recovered from the khert to construct them (the process is called sounding the khert), and since senet beasts and two-toes don't put their memories into the khert upon death, a wright couldn't retrieve them. It's also impossible to retrieve specific memories of an individual from the khert, too - Bastion tried it to recreate his dead sister and ended up with Timofey instead.

Also we know there's more than one Sette, which Minnow told us, and there may be more than one Sette right now - we saw a younger one with Ilganyag while she was watching Ana get hooked into the silver in the first place. And there was that scene when Sette fell into the khert and cut some fetuses loose from a "forest" where they were attached by umbilicals, which they thanked her for - and Minnow said Sette was never happy. Ilganyag was hanging out in fetus-forest, and there's a legend about her where she steals children, but can't suckle them and they always end up dying. Seems pretty likely Sette ties into that story and is connected in a pretty strong way to Ilganyag, and is possibly the inspiration for it in the first place.

Ilganyag also mentions that she chased Sette in to free Murkoph once she was sure that Duane could protect her from Murkoph, so Ilganyag definitely cares about Sette's safety too.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Also we know there's more than one Sette, which Minnow told us, and there may be more than one Sette right now - we saw a younger one with Ilganyag while she was watching Ana get hooked into the silver in the first place. And there was that scene when Sette fell into the khert and cut some fetuses loose from a "forest" where they were attached by umbilicals, which they thanked her for - and Minnow said Sette was never happy. Ilganyag was hanging out in fetus-forest, and there's a legend about her where she steals children, but can't suckle them and they always end up dying. Seems pretty likely Sette ties into that story and is connected in a pretty strong way to Ilganyag, and is possibly the inspiration for it in the first place.

I don't remember the Multiple Settes thing, but the second part of that makes a ton of sense. :stare:

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Minnow pretty strongly implies it. Duane thinks she's loving up the language, but Minnow's command of whatever it is they're speaking to each other is excellent - she doesn't make any grammatical mistakes. And since she's an immortal senet beast, she's probably right and Duane's being a condescending rear end.

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_26.html

Some ambiguity - there might not be multiple Settes at the same time, though I'm more inclined to think that because we saw a younger one with Ilganyag. But she might be sequential. I'm sure Minnow's reaction to Ssael means something too, but I don't know what.

The problem with reading the comic at three pages a week is it's very hard to remember details like this for a very long time. It's a lot more rewarding as a chunk, when this stuff is fresh foreshadowing and not something you read over half a decade ago - you either have to have a great memory for detail or regularly reread the lot.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao i just read through that sequence and duane's hand is on wrong through that entire sequence leading up to when minnow mentioned it

also dang this section was good:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Minnow pretty strongly implies it. Duane thinks she's loving up the language, but Minnow's command of whatever it is they're speaking to each other is excellent - she doesn't make any grammatical mistakes. And since she's an immortal senet beast, she's probably right and Duane's being a condescending rear end.

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_26.html

Some ambiguity - there might not be multiple Settes at the same time, though I'm mhttps://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=27ore inclined to think that because we saw a younger one with Ilganyag. But she might be sequential. I'm sure Minnow's reaction to Ssael means something too, but I don't know what.

The problem with reading the comic at three pages a week is it's very hard to remember details like this for a very long time. It's a lot more rewarding as a chunk, when this stuff is fresh foreshadowing and not something you read over half a decade ago - you either have to have a great memory for detail or regularly reread the lot.

that page, to me, didn't suggest "multiple settes" so much as "one continuously reincarnated sette"

it's an academic distinction until we figure out more about what's up with her though

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I really figured it meant Sette is a lot older than she looks or knows.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Well, a brief rundown of what we know about Sette:
-Duane can successfully cast on her using the word for human, and she passed through a barrier designed to only let humans through. As far as the khert's concerned, she's human, and the khert would know, because if she wasn't, something horrible would happen if Duane used the word for human when casting on her.
-she can physically enter the khert, and use her bare hands to manipulate it directly (releasing Murkoph). Even Ilganyag can't do this - she chased Sette in to free Murkoph because she couldn't do it herself.
-she did age (there's errata posted on Patreon and Tumblr with her younger and interacting with Nary, so she's aged recently), but at some point a few years ago appears to have stopped (referenced by Ana saying she hadn't grown in three years).
-she does not have a navel or nipples, does have a tail and there's something mercifully unspecified up with her genitalia
-she has a massively good sense of smell
-we see a young version of her with Ilganyag when Ilganyag is watching Cutter hook Ana up to the silver. Time is definitely fucky in the khert, but Minnow's statement strongly implies the existence of multiple Settes (sequential or concurrent is unclear)

In terms of creation, the gods first created senet beasts, with no universal khert. The senet beasts were immortal and did not breed (Minnow points this out when she tells Duane that the water babies have been babies forever.) The gods decided they wanted to create a more centralized system, so they created the universal khert and grew the younger races via evolution, creating humans and two-toes. The senet beasts, pre-existing the khert, cannot interact with it (which is why they're pymary-proof). Humans and two-toes are subject to it, with humans being the only race that can become wrights and use the khert to manipulate reality.

I think Sette might be some in-between kind of prototype-human, like the very last sort of senet beast or the very first human, since the khert sees and treats her as a human for the purposes of spellcasting. She's the first idea of growth and aging, but she doesn't follow through with the whole cycle - doesn't have the full set of organs necessary for reproduction, wasn't properly born, won't grow past a certain point.

Given Minnow's reaction to Sette's name while repeating the word Ssael, she might somehow tie into religions somehow, but there's just flat not enough to go on there.

Also, has anybody else noticed that it's pretty clear the two-toes worship Ilganyag? There's the two-toe shrine to her under Rahm's lab, the one that killed Rilursa was wearing armor shaped like Ilganyag's face, there's a bird motif embroidered on the robe of one of the two-toes getting shoved into a camp, and one of the two-toes trying to purify Cutter is wearing a mask shaped like Ilganyag.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they were described by the author as worshipping various senet beasts before they were discovered by humans and genocided, ilganyag being part of that makes sense kinda

imo sette just, doesnt have anything there, shes like a ken doll. that'll be my bestworlding for tonight

hm. would that mean she has a cloaca lmao

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

I want to stress in the strongest possible terms that my post was not an invitation to discuss possible configurations of Sette's genitals

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
basically i feel the same but also im p sure the story has already confirmed that there is literally nothing there to discuss lmao

that and a joke about peeing out a butthole

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Cope let slip on Tumblr that the Aldish Gefendur were successful in passing the rebalancing act, which means they functionally seized control of Alderode's government and reduced the Ssaelit to a token opposition with no actual power

tell me again how Duane's death was a false flag to increase Aldish unity :v:

I think it's pretty fair to say that powerful authority figures making decisions contrary to their nation's best interests in favor of selfish goals is a running theme in Unsounded

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this comic is definitely the most realistic (not "realistic" racist sexist bullshit) depiction of a fantasy world inhabited by humans ive ever read

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_116.html
As plain an answer as a gentle goddess can give IMO.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think its p clear that this is going to have much bigger consequences than the realm of war and political intrigue at this point lmao

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The last panel of today's strip is pretty interesting.

I forget where she said we're going next. Maybe back to Litriya Shrine to start the last arc of the chapter.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_117.html

Oh look it's that guy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You mean those guys, because there's Boo and Chitz!

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

And Jivi's hat, Duane's tunic, Sette's overshirt, Toma and Elka's swords, Toma's collected badges, the Red Berry Boys' organ jar, Toma and (presumably) Stockyard's noose.

The Patreon high-res version of today's page makes it a lot easier to see the details.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

This is probably an important two pages.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

today's comment section posted:

ah, so sette's original incarnation as half lion half angel deviantart oc wasn't actually abandoned

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
that HAS to be awkward for the lion.

the yellow dog
Dec 27, 2007

It never did anything, it just stood there, being small and yellow...I couldn't pass if The Yellow Dog was there.
so i haven't spent a lot of time thinking about sette's origins because i just started reading this two weeks ago, but we've got duane's word - backed up by the khert and the barrier at the shrine - that sette is human, and that's basically a gold star guarantee. So what about that lion tail? Are there lion-ish senet beasts? i don't know of any but maybe i've missed them. at some point, some of the alds killed all lions bc ssael was mauled by lions, if i'm reading it correctly. sette and duane's argument over her tail being a lion's or a rat's seems important. his main resistance seems to be "well lions are holy so that's why it's not a lion's tail" but rats don't have tufted tails, dude, and also you're dumb.

really it's all moot because we're getting this weird flashback(?) seeing baby sette(?) and a lion(?) cub. it's super hosed up, but kind of cute, but mostly hosed up that baby sette is chirping for food. she's not a baby bird, and ilganyag isn't actually bird, and she obviously can't nurse a child, so is she going to puke into her mouth? i really don't care about mechanics, it'd be cool if we could know if a long-ago ilganyag raised a tiny baby sette and then just skip over the whole "did tittybird puke in the baby's mouth" discussion

lions are important to ssael. pretty sure the scarring ssael got was when he was thrown to lions before his full-body jaunt into the khert.

REALLY hoping murkoph's "what, did you and i have an egg?" throwaway wasn't foreshadowing, that'd be goofy. i like that he's lying still and looks horrible and mostly dead

the yellow dog fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 6, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

the yellow dog posted:

really it's all moot because we're getting this weird flashback (?) seeing baby sette(?) and a lion(?) cub. it's super hosed up, but kind of cute, but mostly hosed up that baby sette is chirping for food. she's not a baby bird, and ilganyag isn't actually bird, and she obviously can't nurse a child, so is she going to puke into her mouth? i really don't care about mechanics, it'd be cool if we could know if a long-ago ilganyag raised a tiny baby sette and then just skip over the whole "did tittybird puke in the baby's mouth" discussion

Why can't tittybird nurse Sette? She has the tits for it! :v:

Sette being a former ward of Ilganyag does explain the usage of the word 'runaway' (malakhomit?) when we first saw them meet though.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I think the argument was over lion or donkey tail.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ssael is associated with lions or lion imagery or something, right? And he seems to have had some sort of relationship with Ilganyag, who later came into possession of a baby with a lion tail somehow. And the Khert is a very strange place, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly I can't really follow most of the Khert stuff. There's a real lack of clear information as well as a lack of...dramatic importance? I'm sure the ultimate destination of all these souls matters in the long run, but it doesn't seem like a pressing issue. They're not going anywhere; haven't for centuries.

It kinda does remind me of deviantart. Ilyanag, Murkoph, and the Khert have a bit of that kind of aesthetic, although better implemented. Also the fact that their narrative is happening mostly offscreen in lore infodumps. Don't get me wrong, I've read plenty of that kind of stuff, but it's not really the comic I bought into back in the day.