Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm on track to clear my credit card debt in a year, my student loans in four, and then I can start saving for a house.

I turn 34 in a week. Unless I get married to someone in my income bracket + we DINK it up, I won't be in a house with my name on it until I'm past 40. My rent and utilities are nearly twice what my mom pays for her townhouse mortgage and she lives a half hour away. I've largely given up on the idea of owning a house of my own. Unless my mom randomly kicks the bucket, then I'll just inherit everything, sell all the assets, and buy a house that isn't way the hell away from where I want to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The market here is hilarious. There's no way in loving hell I'd buy a house in the Springs. It's more and more looking like I'll be hunting out land on the edge of the front range to slap a cabin on and a giant no trespassing sign on the cattle gate crossing my driveway. I'll be happy with a couple of acres tucked in the foothills.

Even then, it's still going to be in the neighborhood of $150k to do what I want, assuming septic will be involved. Cheaper than a starter/start-over home around here.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Oct posted:

I'm selling my home in Colorado, which I've had for about five years so this housing market poo poo has been really interesting. Homes in my area north of Denver have been in notoriously high demand, particularly starting around 2014, and values have appreciated really quickly. But then the local market here hit the brakes in August, and it's really spiraled after the interest rates went up. All of the homes on the market in my neighborhood are way overpriced for what they are, which I think indicates that some of this is based on unrealistic greed on the part of most sellers.

Part of me wonders if younger homeowners who don't remember the days of 10+% interest on a mortgage are more likely to hunker down than older homeowners who may remember those days and not fret about it as much. I don't think prices are going to take a huge dive in places like this, simply because demand still (more or less) outstrips supply, but I think that the absurd expectations of would-be sellers are going to be dialed back.

Well the 10+% interest rates on home mortgages were a big red flag to being with. Interest on credit is intrinsically tied to risk. The 80's and 90's were a weird case where there was suddenly very little risk, but creditors needed to keep up their profit numbers. So in creeps up overselling homes at higher interest rates. Then selling homes at even higher interest rates to people who could barely afford them. Now you're making risky loans so you've gotta raise rates to keep the actuaries happy. Paying 4-5% interest on stable assets like houses is reasonable, paying 14% in the late/post-cold war is a nice :thunk:

And then a whole lot of things happened as rates came down and they kept trying to sell big loans to people who still couldn't afford them even at normal interest rates.

A proper correction would drop home prices into the 20% of annual post-tax income range for most Americans.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm looking at approximately 500-600k for a townhouse in an area that is metro accessible. The good news I guess is that the metro expansion that is coming in 2022 goes through a huge swath of underdeveloped areas so there will be...exactly the same that exists now except further out, as stuff that exists here and now closer to DC will be priced twice as high.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

When my rent increases again I might as well be paying for a house. Problem is there's like a state wide sellers market right now so I'll probably have to stick it out for a while. I turn 30 next month, and have no debt. Job is more secure than ever since my colleague went to another department and the boss wants to retire in the next 5 years. I'm just incredibly paranoid about the economy blowing up again. I got shielded the first time because I was junior enlisted, living at home, and going to school. If poo poo hits the fan again I won't have those benefits, or any of the programs that got people through last time.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Vasudus posted:

I turn 34 in a week.

So many scorpios here.

I'll be 36 in about 2 weeks.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
According to Zillow I should be able to sell my place for about 190k, having paid 142k for it in 2013. While tempting, I’m fortunate enough to have a fairly decent backyard in midtown memphis and any place I would move to would be nothing more than a lateral move house wise for more $

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

So many scorpios here.

I'll be 36 in about 2 weeks.

:same:

35 next week :corsair:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

crazyivan45 posted:

According to Zillow I should be able to sell my place for about 190k, having paid 142k for it in 2013. While tempting, I’m fortunate enough to have a fairly decent backyard in midtown memphis and any place I would move to would be nothing more than a lateral move house wise for more $

Sell house, pay a year rent up front, watch the market crash and buy a nicer place.

I have a friend outside Nashville who plans to move out here in about 18 months. He's getting calls with offers, though he's not wanting to sell yet. He bought at $120k, offers have been hitting around $200k. I keep telling him to sell the drat place and chill in an apartment with a garage for a year so he doesn't have to sell while in the middle of a down market and moving 1200 miles.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 3, 2018

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm a couple months into 31, not sure yet how I feel about being in my 30's. Don't feel much different from 29, 28 or 27.

I think 25 was the biggest turning point for me age-wise.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
25 and 40 were the big two for me. I don’t know about 50 or 55

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Syrian Lannister posted:

25 and 40 were the big two for me. I don’t know about 50 or 55

i've been told 50 is when you start noticing all the little stuff that broke

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/1058457110189694976

I feel like I should be surprised but I'm not. Bonus: it's funded by the military!

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Good lord you fucks don’t even know how bad it is in the Greater Vancouver Area. Insane rent, heavy car insurance, luckily I have a good job but saving for the downpayment for a apartment is nuts with the amount of money flowing in from China. Admittedly it’s the same money flowing that pays me. If you don’t have legacy wealth it’s extremely hard to buy anywhere you can unless it’s a 1.5Hr plus commute, one way.

Bit of a bitch fest, but house ownership is a degree of hosed, and were I in some of your situations, I would be happy.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The grass isn't always greener on the other side though.

Sometimes it's purple with orange hues.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

I'm looking at approximately 500-600k for a townhouse in an area that is metro accessible. The good news I guess is that the metro expansion that is coming in 2022 goes through a huge swath of underdeveloped areas so there will be...exactly the same that exists now except further out, as stuff that exists here and now closer to DC will be priced twice as high.

I bought my house in Columbia for $335k in 2015 and my neighbor's house with the same floorplan just sold for $425.

At this point I'm not sure I could afford to buy another house in the same area.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1058702961730306049

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Remember how us and CSPAM were constantly joking about the GOP having someone falsely come forward as an accuser only to delegitimatize the real accusers?

Maybe that happened. Maybe that didn't. But Trump isn't talking about any of the three people who's names were in the news with credible allegations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks Australia!

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

What did Donnie Smooth Brain post? That tweet is down.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

BaconAndBullets posted:

What did Donnie Smooth Brain post? That tweet is down.

Seems he reposted it, probably a typo. Can't be a lie or inaccurate information, because he leaves those up

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1058715144442781696

/edit:
Oh, he hosed up Kav's name, yeah gotta take care of that right quick, wouldn't want to have something as unpresidential as an honest typo of a name there :lol:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I remember moving to central oregon and seeing modest houses for 290k and being like "oh good lord, there's absolutely no way i'm going to afford that! Oh well maybe in 2-3 years when I save up some money i'll purchase that house because i'm smart and that's my inner knowledge of real estate!"

Said house is probably 360k over the span of 2 years. Central Oregon is absolutely poverty with a view and I just woke up so I'm grumpy harumph

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Amazon is in advanced talks to open HQ2 in Northern Virginia (specifically Crystal City)

Sorry, Vas.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I run A team of software developers out of Atlanta who are all sitting on at least 2 properties waiting to cash in when Amazon moves in and I bet stand up is going to consist of them bitching real hard Monday

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

gently caress

rear end

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Waroduce posted:

I run A team of software developers out of Atlanta who are all sitting on at least 2 properties waiting to cash in when Amazon moves in and I bet stand up is going to consist of them bitching real hard Monday

I'm up in central MD, but I'm guessing the housing price insanity will ripple outwards as people get pushed out of the beltway. If this is the case, I guess I'll rent my house out after I move away and collect some of that sweet, sweet real estate bubble money.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Part of an amazon fulfillment center collapsed during a storm last night, killing two employees.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-amazon-storm-damage-20181102-story.html

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Eej posted:

https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/1058457110189694976

I feel like I should be surprised but I'm not. Bonus: it's funded by the military!

There is medical meth and no one ever sees it because of how tightly it's regulated. FDA approval doesn't mean this is gonna hit the shelves of every pharmacy in America. This is for use in a healthcare setting and is a substitute for morphine. I'm not really seeing the issue

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Good lord you fucks don’t even know how bad it is in the Greater Vancouver Area. Insane rent, heavy car insurance, luckily I have a good job but saving for the downpayment for a apartment is nuts with the amount of money flowing in from China. Admittedly it’s the same money flowing that pays me. If you don’t have legacy wealth it’s extremely hard to buy anywhere you can unless it’s a 1.5Hr plus commute, one way.

Bit of a bitch fest, but house ownership is a degree of hosed, and were I in some of your situations, I would be happy.

Move on down here then, its not like we have an embargo on Canadian immigrants. Maybe you could even naturalize and become a citizen of our great American Experiment.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 3, 2018

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

Oh yes. Oh yes, it is.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

RFC2324 posted:

Yep. It's also when you find that you can still drink and party like you did aged 20, it just that it takes 12 days to recover rather than 12 hours.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Burt posted:

Yep. It's also when you find that you can still drink and party like you did aged 20, it just that it takes 12 days to recover rather than 12 hours.

That's 30 for me.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I got pretty wasted Thursday night with some co workers but I drank like 4L of water the whole night and was fine in the morning and I'm 30. But I've always been kinda immune to hang overs (they are definitely getting worse as image tho)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If I plan to consume more than four beers or two drinks in approximately 6 hours of time I need to prepare like I'm going on the mother of all benders. Shitloads of water, vitamin B, asparin, the works. It's lame as hell.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

If I plan to consume more than four beers or two drinks in approximately 6 hours of time I need to prepare like I'm going on the mother of all benders. Shitloads of water, vitamin B, asparin, the works. It's lame as hell.

I turned 29 recently and didn't drink for 4 days afterwards because apparently 6 drinks over 8 hours was too much for me to handle.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Move on down here then, its not like we have an embargo on Canadian immigrants. Maybe you could even naturalize and become a citizen of our great American Experiment.

My labour would be worth quite a bit less, likely be non union as well. The medical system and drug costs are additional savings. This city in particular is hosed due to wages being decoupled from property. The solution involves moving within the country, but everywhere else in Canada is cold and/or flat. Of counties to choose to live in, the US is not the best place right now. Very unlikely to improve, lots of potential to get worse.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Ouch, say goodbye to anything resembling affordable housing.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Lol, what a supremely idiotic decision. RIP NoVA.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kawasaki Nun posted:

There is medical meth and no one ever sees it because of how tightly it's regulated. FDA approval doesn't mean this is gonna hit the shelves of every pharmacy in America. This is for use in a healthcare setting and is a substitute for morphine. I'm not really seeing the issue

Healthcare professionals abuse poo poo all the time and making it easier to sneak off with one pill instead of a bottle isn't helping.

eg https://twitter.com/cherryblack/status/1056457224237666304

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Lol, what a supremely idiotic decision. RIP NoVA.

Doesn’t having an HQ there make a lot of sense? Tons of defense companies do it for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Doesn’t having an HQ there make a lot of sense? Tons of defense companies do it for the same reason.

Just because it does doesn’t mean you should. It’s gonna hosed for quality of life for their workers and government jobs are basically gonna get hosed because cost of living due to housing is gonna get jacked.