Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

SwitchbladeKult posted:

From a technical standpoint that's something that would be extremely easy to automate on Bethesda's end. The problem would be getting prompt, clear and accurate communications from the retailers. For a few week long early access beta they probably just aren't bothering with the logistics headache. They are giving everyone three additional beta codes as well. :shrug:

Yeah the hard part would be to get Amazon to give a poo poo about your beta access bullshit. That said, it seems somewhat plausible that if you preordered and refunded directly from Bethesda's launcher that the pair of human hands that processed your refund would also go through the trouble of disabling the beta for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMk3c_yvF6E

Gopher found a dealbreaker for the game. Rebinding certain keys breaks the game. Gopher of all people.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Since the 400 lbs stash limit is getting everyone down I thought I'd share some tips I've picked up reading and watching BETA feedback.

Brotherhood of Goon Presents
Ranger Robert's Stash Maintenance Tips:
  1. Scrap all your Junk. Junk weighs more than scrap!
  2. Bulk your scrap. Bulked scrap weighs less.
  3. Chems let you kill better. Take them, sell them or give them to goons! Same with food and drink!
  4. Got ammo you don't need? Sell it or give it to goons!
  5. Throw your grenades! They kill good but are heavy.
  6. Scrap any guns and armor your aren't using/can't use. Not only do you save weight and get scrap but it's how you learn crafting recipes!
  7. Scrap power armor pieces, the helmets especially! Power armor pieces are easy to come by when you can start using them. Plus they have fixed spawn locations so they won't be hard to recover.
  8. If don't want to scrap your power armor pieces (let's face it, no one wants to scrap power armor) store it in an extra frame. Power armor frames, even loaded up with armor, weigh 10 lbs.
  9. Build everything! Use that scrap as quickly as you can to upgrade armor, weapons and your CAMP. Build CAMP stuff in advance and "store" it until you are ready for it.*
  10. Smelt ore at a chem station asap. The end product weighs less!
  11. When in doubt just sell stuff you don't need right now to robots. Caps weigh nothing and can be turned into bobby pins!

*I'm almost positive "stored" CAMP buildings are weightless. If I'm right build, build, build!

Hopefully with these tips you'll have plenty of room in your stash for the important stuff, bourbon whiskey!

I realized after I maxed out my storage that I should be making everything I can, even grenades to chuck at bad guys.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 3, 2018

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Gopher found a dealbreaker for the game. Rebinding certain keys breaks the game. Gopher of all people.

This is hilariously bad.

phourniner fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 3, 2018

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I get that Bethesda has always had a tenuous grasp on QA but this is sad. Waste of the IP, waste of a potentially cool idea, just all around lazy and I hope it spurs some shakeup at the company. They can do better than this.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Minorkos posted:

Yeah the hard part would be to get Amazon to give a poo poo about your beta access bullshit. That said, it seems somewhat plausible that if you preordered and refunded directly from Bethesda's launcher that the pair of human hands that processed your refund would also go through the trouble of disabling the beta for you.

I doubt any human has any interaction with your refund transaction BUT I would assume that, yeah, Bethesda would have put in logic to kill your beta access if the refund came from their own system. :iiam:

Tenzarin posted:

I realized after I maxed out my storage that I should be making everything I can even grenades to chuck at bad guys.

This is an element of Bethesda games I have to relearn every single time I play one. Grabbing everything that isn't bolted down like you do in other RPGs is a bad play in a Bethesda game due to their love of encumbrance mechanics. They place a ton of stuff that is just useless, or at least not useful to you this second, in your way to tempt you into picking it up. As much as I hate it there is something compelling about having to think through what you want to take and have to leave behind.

Part of me hopes the 400 lbs stash limit sticks around just to break me off hording stuff instead of using it the first chance I get. I always end a Bethesda game with a literal ton of poo poo squirreled away that never gets used.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 3, 2018

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The stash limit makes sense that they don't want people to carelessly grabbing everything when they go through a location in a multiplayer game. It may not spare the rarer items you look for when going through an area but it makes it more likely you will be able to grab something when you follow the guy with 15 strength in power armor vacuuming the wasteland.

They made a change with fallout 4 that generally stripping every bad guy you see after you murder them really fills up your inventory fast. Maybe it didn't before or either there was more things to grab or they just didn't think the player leaving naked corpses everywhere was needed anymore.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 3, 2018

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

His entire rant boils down to you can't walk around while building if you rebound movement to the arrow keys because the arrow keys are used to navigate the build menu? I wouldn't exactly call that "breaking the game". That's more in the realm of the "annoying oversight" department. "Breaking the game" would be more like if you rebound move to the arrow keys and it caused the entire UI to stop working including the interface to rebind keys.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tenzarin posted:

They made a change with fallout 4 that generally stripping every bad guy you see after you murder them really fills up your inventory fast. Maybe it didn't before or either there was more things to grab or they just didn't think the player leaving naked corpses everywhere was needed anymore.

Don't think it was much different from previous games.

(And you can no longer literally strip corpses naked)

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Tenzarin posted:

The stash limit makes sense that they don't want people to carelessly grabbing everything when they go through a location in a multiplayer game. It may not spare the rarer items you look for when going through an area but it makes it more likely you will be able to grab something when you follow the guy with 15 strength in power armor vacuuming the wasteland.

I just hope there's better ways to store a collection of crafted weapons and armor. A separate stash for weapons-only or apparel-only might help. (Or even an ammo-only stash.)

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

SwitchbladeKult posted:

His entire rant boils down to you can't walk around while building if you rebound movement to the arrow keys because the arrow keys are used to navigate the build menu? I wouldn't exactly call that "breaking the game". That's more in the realm of the "annoying oversight" department. "Breaking the game" would be more like if you rebound move to the arrow keys and it caused the entire UI to stop working including the interface to rebind keys.

It is pretty absurd that you can rebind some of the keys but not all of them.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

pyrotek posted:

It is pretty absurd that you can rebind some of the keys but not all of them.

It is dumb and annoying, granted, but still it is not "game breaking". Also Bethesda isn't even the worst offender of limiting what keys you can rebind. That doesn't make it right but I find it far fetch that this would be a deal breaker. Even if you had to use the arrow keys instead of WASD you can still use the building system, you just can't walk around while doing it. Annoying, yes, but it doesn't exclude you from fully experiencing that feature of the game.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 3, 2018

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
why do british people pronounce beta as "beeta"

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
The key binding really is terrible. I kept ending up in different menus and deciding not to waste my precious beta time trying to figure them out. But changing your bindings so two things cancel each other out is like a Solved Problem at this point.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

And it's yet another documented issue carried over from FO4.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Is it something worth a 21 minute rant video, though? Seems like small potatoes compared to some of the other issues with 76.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Gotta get them views though

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
let me just watch this 20 minute video narrated by a bad drawing of a skyrim man so i can learn about the fallouts

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I don't care about the video itself, I was commenting on Bethesda's negligence.

(also Gopher is long-winded)

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Thanks for the synopsis so I can know to ignore the keyword clickbait.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Everyone who still hates this game or is on the fence, my opinion has greatly softened on it. I’m almost convinced to not cancel my preorder. Goons make this a lot of fun.

Check it out, there’s long betas all weekend and we’re giving away codes in this thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3873251

Maybe you’ll hate it less than you should.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Tangentially related: Pretending to be Jon of Many a True Nerd playing Fallout 3 or 4 while drunk in public is pretty flipping marvelous.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

CharlestonJew posted:

why do british people pronounce beta as "beeta"

The same reason they pronounce the letter "H" as "Haech" and "Z" as "Zed".

I wish I spoke the Queen's English. (I don't actually know if that's the Queen's English)

phourniner fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 3, 2018

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I like the Yankee convention of removing unnecessary letters, but I like 'H' and 'Z' having pronunciations. That said, I pronounce aluminium thusly and it's really not that big a bother once you get used to it.

Truly, English is a land of contrasts.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

Oh god, I forgot about "al-loo-min-ee-um".

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Honestly, if you speak Yankee natively, I encourage you to give it a try, it really does roll right off the tongue.

HFCS
Oct 16, 2013
I accidentally tried to murder somebody named Beefsquatch with a machete during BETA. If it was you, I do so apologize. You see, I was the crazy hermit lady living on a cliff beneath the New River Gorge bridge, and I thought I heard you attacking one of my turrets. And so I hid inside my cabin and waited for you to enter. As you flung my door open, I ambushed you with my machete. I'm not entirely sure what happened next, as The Rage took over (aka, the game froze for a moment) and when I came to, you were gone. I stumbled out and followed the trail of blood you left until I discovered the truth: a dead eyebot. You had not been attacking my turrets after all. You were defending them! Beefsquatch, if you are out there... Please accept my humble apology.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

my friend gave me a beta code, but the loving bethesda launcher refuses to log me in so i can't actually redeem it.

which is honestly a good thing because i have no interest in this game and didn't really wanna use the bandwidth on it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

SwitchbladeKult posted:

This is an element of Bethesda games I have to relearn every single time I play one. Grabbing everything that isn't bolted down like you do in other RPGs is a bad play in a Bethesda game due to their love of encumbrance mechanics. They place a ton of stuff that is just useless, or at least not useful to you this second, in your way to tempt you into picking it up. As much as I hate it there is something compelling about having to think through what you want to take and have to leave behind.

Part of me hopes the 400 lbs stash limit sticks around just to break me off hording stuff instead of using it the first chance I get. I always end a Bethesda game with a literal ton of poo poo squirreled away that never gets used.

The first explorable ruin is a motel that had a gym. Those 100lb dumbells are a trap. You cant process lead yet, dont fill yo pockets with that poo poo till you get a shotgun.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Roobanguy posted:

my friend gave me a beta code, but the loving bethesda launcher refuses to log me in so i can't actually redeem it.

which is honestly a good thing because i have no interest in this game and didn't really wanna use the bandwidth on it.

I had the same issue when I tried logging into the launcher after a long hiatus. Make sure the launcher is updated to the latest version, that fixed it for me. There's no prompt when running an old version, it just updates by itself if you leave it on for some time.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Lies! Fill your pockets with as much lead as you can carry, it's the most valuable resource in Appalachia.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Tenzarin posted:

A limit just makes it so the most efficient way to strip the wasteland is to make a billion trips. I hate it when people act like its gameplay to decide to skip loot. gently caress that, I will be taking all the loot thank you

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Repeatedly looting the same area is basically never the most valuable use of your time in any Bethesda game. Wildly excessive loot is very good game design - it essentially creates a minigame out of choosing what loot is most relevant to you at any point in time, and makes looting more interesting than blindly hoovering up everything that isn't bolted down. It lets you choose how you're resource limited - whether you're just trying to be the most weight-efficient, or if you're focusing on specific materials or equipment for a specific task.

It's one of the strongest design elements of the Deus Ex games - there are far more tools than you can possibly carry or use, but not enough of any single type that you solve every problem the exact same way.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

phourniner posted:

The same reason they pronounce the letter "H" as "Haech" and "Z" as "Zed".

I wish I spoke the Queen's English. (I don't actually know if that's the Queen's English)

The accepted pronunciation of H is "aitch" in British English, some people get very cross if you pronounce it "haitch". Usually with complaints about millenials, americans, or american millenials mixed in even though it has nothing to do with either.

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

K8.0 posted:

Repeatedly looting the same area is basically never the most valuable use of your time in any Bethesda game. Wildly excessive loot is very good game design - it essentially creates a minigame out of choosing what loot is most relevant to you at any point in time, and makes looting more interesting than blindly hoovering up everything that isn't bolted down. It lets you choose how you're resource limited - whether you're just trying to be the most weight-efficient, or if you're focusing on specific materials or equipment for a specific task.

It's one of the strongest design elements of the Deus Ex games - there are far more tools than you can possibly carry or use, but not enough of any single type that you solve every problem the exact same way.

Carrying it and bringing it along is one thing, not being able to keep it when you do because you don't have space for it at all is another imo.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
After you learn how valuable aluminum is in weapon maintenance, be prepared to have your eyes turn into big dollar-signs with a cash register noise every time you run across a bunch of lunchroom/tv-dinner trays.

Also - one of the reasons I'm not having nearly as much of an issue with weight as other people is I decided to do a strength-focused build for my first character. Which turned out to be a good idea because I can also save ammo by bashing everything, and my favorite shooting weapon - shotguns - is boosted by a strength perk card.

So uh, yeah...basically do the old school RPG style of 'roll a beefy warrior for your first character to learn the mechanics in the simplest way possible' (focusing on strength and a little on endurance) and you'll probably have a better time for your first run. Until you learn the mechanics of how you compact your storage for other future characters. (Or also - until bethesda relents and gives players more personal storage space.)

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 3, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Since the 400 lbs stash limit is getting everyone down I thought I'd share some tips I've picked up reading and watching BETA feedback.

Brotherhood of Goon Presents
Ranger Robert's Stash Maintenance Tips:
  1. Scrap all your Junk. Junk weighs more than scrap!
  2. Bulk your scrap. Bulked scrap weighs less.
  3. Chems let you kill better. Take them, sell them or give them to goons! Same with food and drink!
  4. Got ammo you don't need? Sell it or give it to goons!
  5. Throw your grenades! They kill good but are heavy.
  6. Scrap any guns and armor your aren't using/can't use. Not only do you save weight and get scrap but it's how you learn crafting recipes!
  7. Scrap power armor pieces, the helmets especially! Power armor pieces are easy to come by when you can start using them. Plus they have fixed spawn locations so they won't be hard to recover.
  8. If don't want to scrap your power armor pieces (let's face it, no one wants to scrap power armor) store it in an extra frame. Power armor frames, even loaded up with armor, weigh 10 lbs.
  9. Build everything! Use that scrap as quickly as you can to upgrade armor, weapons and your CAMP. Build CAMP stuff in advance and "store" it until you are ready for it.*
  10. Smelt ore at a chem station asap. The end product weighs less!
  11. When in doubt just sell stuff you don't need right now to robots. Caps weigh nothing and can be turned into bobby pins!

*I'm almost positive "stored" CAMP buildings are weightless. If I'm right build, build, build!

Hopefully with these tips you'll have plenty of room in your stash for the important stuff, bourbon whiskey!

So to sumarize it:

Junk => Scrap
unused Weapons/Armour => Scrap
unused Ammo => Sell / Give
Scrap => repair what you use
Scrap => bulk Scrap
scrap, bulk Scrap => build => store
ore => smelt
* => sell

So basically we have like a chain line of changes where every transformation weight less.

Having a clear inventory also means you can loot more often withouth having it full. This seems a good way to play.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Is it something worth a 21 minute rant video, though? Seems like small potatoes compared to some of the other issues with 76.

Yeah, his video was ranty and overlong, but his underlying point is sound. Fallout 4 had the same issues 3 years ago. It should't be a difficult fix for a basic QoL issue and yet they haven't bothered to do it. Basic functionality like key rebindings aren't done, but the cash shop is all ready to go before release. It's emblematic of the way BGS, through negligence or incompetence, don't fix this basic poo poo their fans have told them about for literally years, in any of their games.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Bardeh posted:

Yeah, his video was ranty and overlong, but his underlying point is sound. Fallout 4 had the same issues 3 years ago. It should't be a difficult fix for a basic QoL issue and yet they haven't bothered to do it. Basic functionality like key rebindings aren't done, but the cash shop is all ready to go before release. It's emblematic of the way BGS, through negligence or incompetence, don't fix this basic poo poo their fans have told them about for literally years, in any of their games.

Is one of these things you can attribute to malice or incompetence, we don't really know what one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
I have 3 beta codes 2 beta codes 1 code left!!!, for pc to give out, to request ping Tempus Thales#2600

You can still request codes in channel #codes-xchange at Brotherhood of Goon Discord https://discord.gg/yvphVSg. If goons have any they will share them with you there as well as the other thread.

Tempus Thales fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 3, 2018