Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ughhhh posted:

the knowledge that my community and my family will face consequences that are out of our hands is not something that I can just wave away.
We all face consequences that are out of our hands every day. Climate change hasn't made that true, it's just made you realise it.

Here is a comic which I feel sums up much of the climate change thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Epitope posted:

Na, Sunday is right. I'm not saying we're not doomed, but some of y'all have woven bad news into your identities. The fact that other people aren't sulking means they have healthy emotional states. Let's assume the worst predictions are accurate. That means we're getting to experience what might be the pinnacle of life on this planet. You're allowed to enjoy that. You might find a way to do some good while you're out there. It's as least as likely as sitting around in here moping

Here's the thing: if I go out there and volunteer or become an activist or whatever, it will bring me no results and cause me to make less money than I do right now. I am terrible with money, I waste it on a bunch of stuff but since I make enough I still manage to save 25% of it. I live by myself, don't cook most of the time and that is expensive. I cannot cook not because I don't want to but because I get home too tired to do anything else. And I don't think I have a particularly exhausting job, maybe I just have low energy.

Volunteering with an environmental charity will just make me more depressed about the coming end. I don't care about animals. The only thing that used to give my life meaning is technology and advancing technological and scientific progress but now the world has seemingly conspired to mock it by showing how it can get corrupted to make people's lives worse, so I don't even have that.

It's like the current arc in the Good Place. I just don't get it. If you know you are going to hell, why spend the rest of your days helping the sheep who don't know what's coming instead of doing literally anything else? I guess it's purely a question of if it makes you feel good but for me, I guess it doesn't. I can't force myself to feel something I do not. People around me see when I am distressed (I do it in quite an obvious fashion) and no one goes out of their way to help me. People, in general, seem to be borderline sociopaths who will gleefully elect dictators to keep ethnicities they don't like out of sight. Why should I help them? Should I just dig through the hundreds of lovely people around me to find the one good one? That's just like job hunting or dating websites, both activities I despise. I don't do things that have high chances of failure or low payout.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

AceOfFlames posted:

It's like the current arc in the Good Place. I just don't get it. If you know you are going to hell, why spend the rest of your days helping the sheep who don't know what's coming instead of doing literally anything else? I guess it's purely a question of if it makes you feel good but for me, I guess it doesn't. I can't force myself to feel something I do not. People around me see when I am distressed (I do it in quite an obvious fashion) and no one goes out of their way to help me. People, in general, seem to be borderline sociopaths who will gleefully elect dictators to keep ethnicities they don't like out of sight. Why should I help them? Should I just dig through the hundreds of lovely people around me to find the one good one? That's just like job hunting or dating websites, both activities I despise. I don't do things that have high chances of failure or low payout.

Okay. What do you get out of posting in this thread and wallowing in depression? What's the "payout" here?

You're literally choosing to do nothing while being utterly miserable, just because doing something has a high chance of failure, which means...what? How is failing to improve things for yourself worse than not trying in the first place and then...still not improving things for yourself? You are clearly unsatisfied with where you are at this point, otherwise you wouldn't be posting these screeds in this thread.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
Didn't see this one posted, but apparently a new study says ButtCoin could potentially play a large part in future climate change if mining continues to expand at rates other techs are adopted. Personally, I don't think it will be adopted at anything close to the rates of other modern technologies, but I find it sad that a lovely cryptocurency that has almost no actual worth has the potential to gently caress everything up if people continue to go hog wild for it.

https://phys.org/news/2018-10-bitcoin-global-couple-decades.html

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

^Yeah that's been posted a few times. Its also been debunked, I believe. debunked because it relies on the premise that buttcoin will actually catch on on. i mean, if it actually does glitch up money in an unstoppable way then maybe we'll wake up to having to evolve super quick past this whole "inequality" nonsense.

but hell yeah phys.org.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Okay. What do you get out of posting in this thread and wallowing in depression? What's the "payout" here?

You're literally choosing to do nothing while being utterly miserable, just because doing something has a high chance of failure, which means...what? How is failing to improve things for yourself worse than not trying in the first place and then...still not improving things for yourself? You are clearly unsatisfied with where you are at this point, otherwise you wouldn't be posting these screeds in this thread.

I guess I just want to know what motivates people. What leads someone to willingly fight a losing battle? To lose over and over and not care? To help someone even though they most likely will not care? I guess I just have the illusion that there is a rational motive behind this and that there will be a magical rational argument that will make me see the light but more and more I see that it's a purely hormonal and emotion based response that I do not have.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Ace, go join a soup kitchen or go work with some disable kids or something. If you do some good you'll feel better.

You are right, you can't argue yourself into being happier. You'll have to do actual stuff.

I get that it is hard, when you feel the way you do. But there is nothing I can say as a person on the internet that will really help with that. You need to find it in yourself to go try and do a little bit of good, and that will be enough.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

AceOfFlames posted:

The only thing that used to give my life meaning is technology and advancing technological and scientific progress but now the world has seemingly conspired to mock it by showing how it can get corrupted to make people's lives worse, so I don't even have that.

I think this is where you're wrong/what you need to fix. Emotionally re-assign technological development to be a bad thing that has only ever enhanced a particularly rapacious ape's capacity to consume the world and you'll be more able to motivate yourself in righteous, pointless struggle against it

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

AceOfFlames posted:

I guess I just want to know what motivates people. What leads someone to willingly fight a losing battle?
We’re all going to die someday, climate change or no. The entire universe will eventually decay into a lifeless uniform void, rendering all human effort meaningless. Sooner or later you’re going to have to accept that nobody else is going to swoop in and tell you the meaning of life, and just start muddling through and figuring it out for yourself like every other human that has ever existed.

I honestly think you’d benefit from reading some Stoic philosophy and learning to enjoy life just by living well. Here is a book I enjoyed that you might find helpful.

TACD fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 3, 2018

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

I suppose that even when the rest of us are feeling particularly down about things we can take solace in the fact that we'll never be as broke-brained pathetic as ace of flames.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

AceOfFlames posted:

I guess I just want to know what motivates people. What leads someone to willingly fight a losing battle? To lose over and over and not care? To help someone even though they most likely will not care? I guess I just have the illusion that there is a rational motive behind this and that there will be a magical rational argument that will make me see the light but more and more I see that it's a purely hormonal and emotion based response that I do not have.

First, read Di Brevitate Vitae or The Shortness of Life, by Seneca. Then go see a doctor because you keep posting the symptoms of clinical depression and it would dramatically improve your quality of life if you got that dealt with.

E: VVVVVVV: That's super hosed up and I really hope things get better for you soon, holy poo poo. :stonk:

Rime fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 3, 2018

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

AceOfFlames posted:

Here's the thing: if I go out there and volunteer or become an activist or whatever, it will bring me no results and cause me to make less money than I do right now. I am terrible with money, I waste it on a bunch of stuff but since I make enough I still manage to save 25% of it. I live by myself, don't cook most of the time and that is expensive. I cannot cook not because I don't want to but because I get home too tired to do anything else. And I don't think I have a particularly exhausting job, maybe I just have low energy.

Volunteering with an environmental charity will just make me more depressed about the coming end. I don't care about animals. The only thing that used to give my life meaning is technology and advancing technological and scientific progress but now the world has seemingly conspired to mock it by showing how it can get corrupted to make people's lives worse, so I don't even have that.

I probably shouldn't do this, but i've seen you post quite a bit over the past dozen or so pages and it seems like you're having a lot of issues grappling with the possibility of your life being wiped out by climate change.
So, i'm going to speak a bit personally here and mention some awkward topics for me.

I'm having to grapple with depression on a major scale at the moment. Between my house being burned down, my pets being murdered by way of what was essentially arson, having to have watched as one of my cats literally burned to death while I could do nothing to help (and coming this close to saving the other one), me and my family coming literally thirty to sixty seconds away from sharing the same fate (literally the only reason any of us survived was that I was awake at the time), the fact that my business and any true financial independence is pretty much beyond me now as a result of the supplies I needed also being burned down by some prick, and the fact that literally everything I have ever wanted since my teenage years has been forcibly taken off the table (and more importantly, away from me), and having already sacrificed all the good times I could have had to get to that point prior to the aforementioned fire i've had to face the same question of "What's the point at this point?" more than once of late.

You seem to be asking yourself what the point is if everyone is doomed. Everyone is not fundamentally doomed from climate change. It's a matter of what you do that matters. Speaking personally, i'm currently in a situation where one more bad event could literally kill me (and given my medical issues probably will eventually, if not outright bankrupt me and/or force me to be dependent on my aging and also sick parents. Which i'm honestly kind of loathe to do.) since I live in the US and I can tell you from first hand experience that we don't take care of those that get knocked flat on their rear end like that. Which is a hell of a lot worse than something that may very well only start to really be felt towards the end of our lives.

So let me tell you this, from a qualified first hand perspective: If this isn't a forum gimmick and is for real, then it is loving up your life. Log the gently caress off and go outside. You appear to be wallowing in depression, which is about the most worthless thing you can do. See a therapist. Do something. Because if you're that depressed then you aren't assessing your situation rationally. Your "What's the point?" viewpoint is keeping you from actually making any progress in your life. At the worst, it will restrict you from opportunities and life experiences you wouldn't have had otherwise. Hell, if what is truly bothering you is the climate change issue then get a decent amount of financial resources and move north towards Canada or wherever the local equivalent is in your region of the world. That way should the worst happen you can provide for yourself and as many people as possible. At that point, you're almost certainly going to be more comfortable than the rest of us should things go catastrophically "The US will be a desert soon from an expanding tropical zone." levels of wrong.

Really, what it sounds like though is that you're focusing on this issue to an extent that it's harming your well being. Maybe even to avoid actually doing something. I don't know since I don't know you personally. But I do know that you shouldn't do what you're doing. Move forward. Even if you think you're hosed. Move forward and keep fighting to live your life. Because otherwise you will be hosed.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 3, 2018

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
This same exact derail is the whole reason AoF toxx'd to not post in this thread anymore in the first place. Climate change is not the primary reason his life is a nightmare, that would be his parents. He's been in e/n for years and as an overall rule will not take anyone's advice on making his life more bearable in any way.

AoF the people in this thread can't help you because we all know that the only thing to do is keep living until we die. Even if the Earth's climate changed back to what it was in 1800 tomorrow and stayed that way forever, we would all still die eventually. There's nothing you can do to stop it, so stop loving worrying about it. Find a distraction, get a life, do something else and stop reading climate change news.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I would stop worrying about what you, yourself, can do, and start trying to fit into a larger group of people trying to change something locally. Throw all your sadbrained nihilism at this post as you want, the only way politics change is if a large group of people represent a constituency that will only accept people who will take radical measures to halt climate change. The individualist approach of "what can I possibly do?" is the wrong question to ask, and you will never get a satisfactory answer; it is what the people who don't want to change anything want you to ask yourself and nothing else.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

ChairMaster posted:

AoF the people in this thread can't help you because we all know that the only thing to do is keep living until we die. Even if the Earth's climate changed back to what it was in 1800 tomorrow and stayed that way forever, we would all still die eventually. There's nothing you can do to stop it, so stop loving worrying about it. Find a distraction, get a life, do something else and stop reading climate change news.

I will. Clearly the best course of action is just to ignore all of this and just live my life. gently caress, even something along the lines of OOCC'S Kitten Quest would be an improvement. I just hope I don't get blind to the point that I have children. Sorry to bother you again.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

AceOfFlames posted:

Clearly the best course of action is just to ignore all of this and just live my life.
Yes!
Also: it's all false! It's all a dream! It's alright! (Poetry ails me)

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

AceOfFlames posted:

I will. Clearly the best course of action is just to ignore all of this and just live my life. gently caress, even something along the lines of OOCC'S Kitten Quest would be an improvement. I just hope I don't get blind to the point that I have children. Sorry to bother you again.

Your brain has built-in carrots and sticks. Quality of Life is about playing to those. Stop thinking and start doing.

Also, someone up thread recommended stoicism. This lecture owns. It discusses Marcus Aurelius as an exemplar of stoicism and also stoicism itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5897dMWJiSM

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

AceOfFlames posted:

I will. Clearly the best course of action is just to ignore all of this and just live my life.

Also, therapy.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

vorebane posted:

Also, therapy.

I’m already in therapy if that wasn’t clear already.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
the 2011 posts are pretty great:

quote:

Just for anyone who's not up on what modern chemistry/biochemistry is cooking up to solve the problem of excess CO2, it might not be completely unreasonable to say we could have a way to fix massive amounts of CO2 in the next 5-10 years, assuming the powers that be are willing to throw money at the development of what has already been discovered.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Finally journalists are getting some real suggestions out there

https://newint.org/features/2018/10/15/four-lifehacks-prevent-apocalypse

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its just so weird to see web pages like this:
https://corporate.exxonmobil.com/en/investors/corporate-governance/board-of-directors/overview

every one of those people needs to be jailed and there they are smiling

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

StabbinHobo posted:

its just so weird to see web pages like this:
https://corporate.exxonmobil.com/en/investors/corporate-governance/board-of-directors/overview

every one of those people needs to be jailed and there they are smiling

Yeah, the problem is that we don't really have systems to deal with criminality on this level. People like this have hosed up the world in ways that are basically impossible to measure, and if we actually did try to assign a cost in human lives or even economic impact the numbers would just be unimaginably huge. Maybe when the dust settles from all of this in a hundred years we'll figure out a way to hold people accountable for what are essentially crimes against human civilization, but no one who's actually responsible will ever live to pay for it.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

AceOfFlames posted:

E: eh. Nevermind. Needlessly mean.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, the problem is that we don't really have systems to deal with criminality on this level. People like this have hosed up the world in ways that are basically impossible to measure, and if we actually did try to assign a cost in human lives or even economic impact the numbers would just be unimaginably huge. Maybe when the dust settles from all of this in a hundred years we'll figure out a way to hold people accountable for what are essentially crimes against human civilization, but no one who's actually responsible will ever live to pay for it.

I'm increasingly convinced that the aggressive push against capital punishment over the past half-century has been to ensure that this crowd largely escapes receiving any meaningful retribution for the deaths of millions.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Socks4Hands posted:

the 2011 posts are pretty great:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S246860691730165X#sec2

I mean, yeah, it's doable and that post was not wrong. It's also not going to happen, either.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Some good news, I guess?

quote:

The Supreme Court rejected the Trump administration's request Friday to stop a lawsuit brought by youths who are seeking to hold the government accountable for failing to do enough to fight climate change.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Rime posted:

I'm increasingly convinced that the aggressive push against capital punishment over the past half-century has been to ensure that this crowd largely escapes receiving any meaningful retribution for the deaths of millions.

This might actually be the most convoluted conspiracy theory I’ve ever encountered.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
If a new thread is made it should probably be titled “We probably didn’t have a chance to stop this on an individual level.”

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Banana Man posted:

If a new thread is made it should probably be titled “We probably didn’t have a chance”

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
If one of you is actually volunteering to write a new OP, please PM me. Thanks!

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you wouldn't let us say what needs to be said

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
It'd probable be nice to preamble with something like

THE IPCC HAS ADMITTED IT IS TOO LATE TO AVOID CATASTROPHIC EFFECTS STARTING BY MID-CENTURY

FREAK WEATHER IS THE NEW NORMAL, AND IT HAS ONLY JUST BEGUN

IF YOU ARE IN YOUR 40s OR YOUNGER, YOU WILL BEAR WITNESS TO THE UNPRECEDENTED DEATH AND SUFFERING OF HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS

BUT TAKING ACTION NOW CAN STILL MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE TO FUTURE GENERATIONS

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Were all going to die some day, friends. Now it looks like the weather is going to start doing a lot more of it but i dont see how thats going to change the dying part. I mean yeah it sucks but what are you guys doing here but feeling smugly depressed about it?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

drilldo squirt posted:

smugly depressed
New thread title please.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Whoever makes the new OP should have a header called "Solutions" like the OP for this thread, but underneath that it just says [REDACTED].

I think that's probably why nobody would bother writing a full new OP anyways. We've spent so long watching this poo poo develop that to go back to the basics of it and write an explanation from scratch would be more trouble than it's worth just to have new posters be mad that their token efforts at driving 10% less or eating slightly less meat don't mean anything.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You could eat as much meat as you wanted actually. It would just have to be long pork

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
What's long pork

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Long pork is the only ethical meat.

I'm feeling good about climate change, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Banana Man posted:

What's long pork

Soylent Green, my man.