Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

mutata posted:

I'm going to make a game where instead of spending money to get power ups or good things, the game degrades and gets less functional and you have to pay money just to maintain the game at a base level. I'll call it Call of Entropy Fight Go.

Someone get a pretentious indie dev on this stat, it's a rare win both morally and financially!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Gacha games are literally "what if a slot machine gave you a free spin every 24 hours and you could carry it around with you" and its disgusting

They are a blemish on the Epic awesomeness that is video games

Partly why I got on such a vocal tirade promoting Streets of Rogue, purely because it felt like a game meant to be a game and played like a game, instead of that variable veneer of hot wet slime that coats most everything else now in a choking shitfog of DLC, unfinished content masquerading as DLC, gacha mechanics, microtransactions, streaming incentives, preorder bonuses, and just all that insufferable greedy boring employee-abusing CRAP

It's exhausting when entertainment becomes such a parasite

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Someone create a world manager game where no matter what you do, fat subhumans consume all the world's resources and hope and immediately drive it into a hell spiral of damnation, forcing you to spend increasingly hopeless amounts of money to stay alive and keep the world running

Then you allow the players to gradually discover that the one way to prosper and win is to IMMEDIATELY queue up Guillotines as soon as you start, and forcibly fill them 24/7 with hyper detailed screaming executions that happen by the dozens, then hundreds, then thousands as more and more putrid moneyed meat is fed to the lean starving blade

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

undertale:deltarune::asriel:israel

:thunk:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

*watches 5 RDR2 videos in my lifetime on Youtube*
*Youtube's algorithm begins meltdown process*

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I saw my first, having clicked on absolutely no videos relating to it, Deltarune FAN THEORY CONFIRMED IS SANS DEAD THE ENTIRE TIME CLICK PROOF VIDEO REACTION LIVE!!!!!!!!! and I want to clench a knife until the handle grain pattern is permanently seared into my palm as I anticipate yyyyyyeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrsssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS of this poo poo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Why do people look at their youtube recommendations?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

mutata posted:

Play gacha games and MMOs and spend extra money on them. Buy in-game currency. Do it you cowards. Just loving do it.

The more you buy; the more you save!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Andrast posted:

Why do people look at their youtube recommendations?

I didn't CLICK on it, it just showed up at the front page with all the other worthless cluttered poo poo that chokes it.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Black August posted:

I saw my first, having clicked on absolutely no videos relating to it, Deltarune FAN THEORY CONFIRMED IS SANS DEAD THE ENTIRE TIME CLICK PROOF VIDEO REACTION LIVE!!!!!!!!! and I want to clench a knife until the handle grain pattern is permanently seared into my palm as I anticipate yyyyyyeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrsssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS of this poo poo

the final chapter of deltarune will contain an activation phrase for those who read homestuck and played undertale

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Poniard posted:

the final chapter of deltarune will contain an activation phrase for those who read homestuck and played undertale

Oh God don't tell me that

I already had a fevered panic flashback when I saw the spade bucket

Either way, Toby has already eclipsed that loser nine times over and Deltarune may as well be the second nuke

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

You can tune your YouTube recommendations, if some bullcrap comes up just click the little thing that you're not interested and you won't see more stuff like it.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

You can tune your YouTube recommendations, if some bullcrap comes up just click the little thing that you're not interested and you won't see more stuff like it.

... ... ...

AH. :stare:

I, I got a lot of clicking to do on my day off Sunday.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It recommended me some video called 'SJWs OUTRAGED by game' and I clicked not interested and it never recommended anything like that ever again. Same with all the other stuff I was disinterested in for various reasons. This probably helps less if you're watching stuff you hate out of morbid curiousity or whatever, but for a normal person it works fine.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Black August posted:

I didn't CLICK on it, it just showed up at the front page with all the other worthless cluttered poo poo that chokes it.

I don't ever use the youtube front page. I just go straight to my subscriptions.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I do not have the time to hate watch boring stupid poo poo. This revelation you’ve shown is gonna be a huge help, I NEVER thought to click those stupid tiny dots.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Youtube only recommends me Alan Watts lectures

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My god this Quiet Man game is... amazing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I only get speed runs and Dark Souls vids

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Quiet Man is only £11 and I'm insanely tempted to get it...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GUI posted:

*watches 5 RDR2 videos in my lifetime on Youtube*
*Youtube's algorithm begins meltdown process*

On the other hand,

Killing KKK Members in 'Red Dead Redemption 2' Doesn't Lower Your "Honor"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My aglorithim used to be completely hosed but in the past month all its been recommending is videogame soundtracks which is all I use youtube for, so its actually working for once.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

The Quiet Man is only £11 and I'm insanely tempted to get it...

Watching someone else play it will give you the exact same experience without having to button mash and also giving you the ability to speed up or skip through the several long muted cutscenes of nothing happening

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

mutata posted:

I'm going to make a game where instead of spending money to get power ups or good things, the game degrades and gets lessee functional and you have to pay money just to maintain the game at a base level. I'll call it Call of Entropy Fight Go.

I can't remember what it was called or if its good but a souls clone came out a few weeks ago where you start out at max level and get weaker after each boss you kill

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The weird dungeon crawler minigame in Night in the Woods kind of worked like that too, every time you beat a boss your max health went down but the number of consecutive dashes went up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That was the Undead campaign gimmick for TFT and I thought it was cool at the time.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
My recommendations seem fine, I don't know why the last ones on the right are there as I never watched anything related to that or the first one since I already listen to it on the regular

I still don't click any of them, but it is far from "FEMINISTS GETTING OWNED"

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Real missed opportunity to not have it increase your honor.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
https://twitter.com/028ton/status/1058685058293219328?s=21

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Black August posted:

Someone create a world manager game where no matter what you do, fat subhumans consume all the world's resources and hope and immediately drive it into a hell spiral of damnation, forcing you to spend increasingly hopeless amounts of money to stay alive and keep the world running

Then you allow the players to gradually discover that the one way to prosper and win is to IMMEDIATELY queue up Guillotines as soon as you start, and forcibly fill them 24/7 with hyper detailed screaming executions that happen by the dozens, then hundreds, then thousands as more and more putrid moneyed meat is fed to the lean starving blade

gently caress yes :unsmigghh:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TOOT BOOT posted:

This is good advice, though on the mobile app you literally aren't allowed to select "not interested" to whatever item is first on the recommended vids sidetab, which is usually the most egregious of this crap, and YouTube will keep on attempting to shave it down your throat like it knows better than you do.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I think that’s the ad? You can at least X it out.

I have Prager U blocked because I am not interested in a conservative education, but apparently having a channel blocked does not prevent them from advertising to you.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

doingitwrong posted:

I think that’s the ad? You can at least X it out.

I have Prager U blocked because I am not interested in a conservative education, but apparently having a channel blocked does not prevent them from advertising to you.

Nah, it's separate from the ads, and usually it's the flavor of the week that YouTube decides to Signal Boost.

Like a week ago it kept on giving me this video in the top slot, no matter what

:whitewater:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh jeez a friend was watching that earnestly

“It portrays Apu as a good dad and friend! Not racist!”

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

post you're recs

i give these recs. 8 out of 10

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

RDR2 is going to be one of the most epic 'what you should know before you play' entries. There are so many hidden mechanics and things you simply forget you can do because of the sheer number of gameplay options. It really exhausts the PS4 controller layout.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

It doesn't really help much, they just recoomend me a different brand of trash that has the lightest connections to what I've been watching

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

oddium posted:

post you're recs

i give these recs. 8 out of 10

I have a 5 year old so my recs are always full of stuff like baby shark (doo doo doo doo doo doo ).

edit: added link so non-parents can truely understand how this song buries itself into your brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
november is the month of larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8fQYpjOWag

• Locked thread