Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

golden bubble posted:

Are those mighty mouse rockets? As in the same rockets in the infamous "battle" of Palmdale, where 208 unguided A2A rockets failed to Grumman F6F drone.

The very same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The crazier part is the story of the bombers that was meant to work on, if I remember my Cold War history correctly.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I’ve seen that pic a hundred times but just now noticed it’s gently holding an egg

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

The crazier part is the story of the bombers that was meant to work on, if I remember my Cold War history correctly.

Story time? I have no idea what this is from other than having seen the picture a bunch of times.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DoktorLoken posted:

Story time? I have no idea what this is from other than having seen the picture a bunch of times.

So, back in the 1940s and 50s, the Air Force wanted to know if you could power a bomber with a nuclear reactor, or at least find out what happens when you stuff a nuclear reactor in an airplane. They refitted a B-36 to carry a nuclear reactor aloft and find out what happened. That thing was what the Air Force built to handle and service the reactor and its radioactive components, including loading and unloading radioactive material from the bomber. It's seen handling eggs without cracking them as a way to demonstrate its fine touch and level of precision for that job.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Must. Smash. Communism.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cythereal posted:

So, back in the 1940s and 50s, the Air Force wanted to know if you could power a bomber with a nuclear reactor, or at least find out what happens when you stuff a nuclear reactor in an airplane. They refitted a B-36 to carry a nuclear reactor aloft and find out what happened. That thing was what the Air Force built to handle and service the reactor and its radioactive components, including loading and unloading radioactive material from the bomber. It's seen handling eggs without cracking them as a way to demonstrate its fine touch and level of precision for that job.

Oh the reactor was absolutely intended to power the aircraft. They didn't actually DO it, but they could've...everything was built, and they flew that reactor around enough that I'm legit surprised they never actually hooked it all up.

That's a B-50 in the background, basically an upgraded B-29.

Shielded cockpit tomb pod:

Here's where the magic happens:

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

This is a bit long but worth a look in a :stonklol: kind of way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J2VwFDV4-g

boner penis
Oct 1, 2012

To Be is to get HYPHY
To Know is to go DUMB

Burt posted:

This is a bit long but worth a look in a :stonklol: kind of way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J2VwFDV4-g

legitimately one of the most interesting talks on something I knew nothing about and it kinda hurts to realize how many good people's lives were pissed away because no one in power was really willing to bite the political bullet and do the right thing time after time after time during that whole fiasco

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

boner penis posted:

legitimately one of the most interesting talks on something I knew nothing about and it kinda hurts to realize how many good people's lives were pissed away because no one in power was really willing to bite the political bullet and do the right thing time after time after time during that whole fiasco

Without any context, this statement could actually refer to SO MANY THINGS in recent years.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Leaders denying mistakes is the whole of history

Like, when Jefferson Davis was captured after Lee and Johnston had already surrendered he was trying to escape to raise a new army in Mexico

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 7, 2018

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I love weird nose art.

Edit:

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 8, 2018

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

shame on an IGA posted:

Leaders denying mistakes is the whole of history

Like, when Jefferson Davis was captured after Lee and Johnston had already surrendered he was trying to escape to raise a new army in Mexico

While crossdressing

(well, accidentally, but it makes a good story!)

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Speaking of bad ideas, here is one of my favorite technicals:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

golden bubble posted:

Speaking of bad ideas, here is one of my favorite technicals:

Lol, did they just drop a scissor lift in the back of a dump truck?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

With what might be a 20mm anti aircraft gun on it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Pretty sure that's a vehicle from Red Alert 2

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

I would love to see video of that thing firing. Scissor lifts move quite a bit when fully extended.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I can imagine seeing a TOW missile come at you from 2 miles away as you're slowly lowered down at the rate of 2 feet every 10 seconds.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I was terrified enough being up on the flying carpet doing tail work on planes, and that drat thing was twice as large and still shook/swayed with every wind blow.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Beastie posted:

I can imagine seeing a TOW missile come at you from 2 miles away as you're slowly lowered down at the rate of 2 feet every 10 seconds.

I wonder if anyone has ever shot down an ATGM in flight. I bet you could do it pretty easily with canister shot from a tank if you were ready.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I've done it in Battlefield so, yes?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

my kinda ape posted:

I wonder if anyone has ever shot down an ATGM in flight. I bet you could do it pretty easily with canister shot from a tank if you were ready.

There seems like there might be some delta between "technically possible" and "easy." Which is why active defense systems wait until the last minute and have computers do it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoOReFCJUF4

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I couldn’t make it past “tanks are the primary offensive weapons of modern armies”

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think ATGMs are pretty hard to see coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RoALoQ73to

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 13, 2018

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Just post sweet vids of Syrian tanks and/or ISIL technicals getting owned by TOWs and various Russian ATGMs.

(trying to find this ridiculous video from a few years ago of an ISIL VBIED that went flying bigly into the air after getting hit, like some Wiley Coyote poo poo)

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 13, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

DoktorLoken posted:

Just post sweet vids of Syrian tanks and/or ISIL technicals getting owned by TOWs and various Russian ATGMs.

(trying to find this ridiculous video from a few years ago of an ISIL VBIED that went flying bigly into the air after getting hit, like some Wiley Coyote poo poo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vBm1klU4_0

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Hahaha, yes. :bisonyes:

I can only imagine being an in person witness to that. Without video I'd not believe it actually happened.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Scratch Monkey posted:

I couldn’t make it past “tanks are the primary offensive weapons of modern armies”

This is the kind of video I mute immediately on opening so sorry :v:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The thumbnail of a stryker on a video about tanks was enough for me

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Typhoon under construction

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The Typhoon is by far one of my favorite ships in the world.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dkzNrGsaE0

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
500 lbs bombs or artillery?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

CommieGIR posted:

The Typhoon is by far one of my favorite ships in the world.

Are most submarines in the US built this way as well? I never would’ve thought the inside would be two long cylinders surrounded by the hull. What’s in between them in the dead space? Air or ballast?

Also where’s the swimming pool located?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Blind Rasputin posted:

It's an outdoor pool.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Blind Rasputin posted:

Are most submarines in the US built this way as well? I never would’ve thought the inside would be two long cylinders surrounded by the hull. What’s in between them in the dead space? Air or ballast?

No, most submarines are a single cylinder, due to the Typhoons unusual arrangement it has two.

Godholio posted:

It's an outdoor pool.

The Typhoons actually have a small pool (more like an oversized spa) inside.

As well as a Sauna

http://englishrussia.com/2014/10/26/sauna-in-the-submarine/

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Air flasks and batteries.