Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I’m regretting turning down a counter offer, for the first time in my career, 6 months into new job. I Fuched up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

AWWNAW posted:

I’m regretting turning down a counter offer, for the first time in my career, 6 months into new job. I Fuched up

I'm feeling just like that, except more like 6 weeks into the new job.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

KoRMaK posted:

I'm very open to that idea, but I don't think I was a dick about offering. I was always really supportive of helping them. I was very very patient with them, but I will say I wasn't absolutely perfect. It was a very trying relationship. They didn't know anything about how like classes or instances worked, or how variables and their scopes were defined, which means they basically misrepresented themselves in the interview. So anyway, whatever it was I was tooooo much of a dick from his perspective. But for me, and the other devs that had to work with him, they said I demonstrated really good patience.

yeah it sounds like this person was in over their heads and blaming you for it. ruling: probably not a dick

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

jit bull transpile posted:

yeah it sounds like this person was in over their heads and blaming you for it. ruling: probably not a dick

takes 1 2 no 1!!!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DELETE CASCADE posted:

takes 1 2 no 1!!!

sum nemo

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

also I'm not sure how someone can work with programming for a while and not grow completely insensitive to the "*gasp* you don't know about X???" reactions from fellow programmers

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
my favorite one was how this one dude I worked with made a huge stink because I never heard of ACO before

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Gazpacho posted:

just to be clear you're not going to double a $160k salary as a bay area computer toucher at a tech giant, they pay market rates and immigrants will eat your lunch
Salary alone no, but total comp is quite possible after senior level for a bit (5 years or so)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pie Colony posted:

welp, my job search is finally over. took about 2 months from start to finish, though it helped that i wasn't working during that time. ended up doing 7 onsites and getting 4 offers. now i'm moving forward with a Big Tech Co that's offering 185k base/15% bonus/80k signing/500k rsus (for reference this is NYC). as you can imagine i'm REALLY happy about that, my last job was a flat 130k, and i've come a long way from my first job six years ago making 60k. time to crack open a cold beer or 5

jesus christ

i'm in nyc, too, and i have way more experience than you do, and my last signing bonus was only like $35k

maybe it's time to switch jobs, gently caress me

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Symbolic Butt posted:

also I'm not sure how someone can work with programming for a while and not grow completely insensitive to the "*gasp* you don't know about X???" reactions from fellow programmers

they're common but they're not OK and that kind of poo poo is still upsetting

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Yea a reaction like that can cause a problem and sounds condescending and poo poo, so i rightfully avoided any sort of suprised sound reaction. And now I have a new interview set of questions to sus this out before it turns into 6 months of pain for either party!

wtf is an rsus??? Can I get 3?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

KoRMaK posted:

wtf is an rsus??? Can I get 3?

rsus are the new hotness, like rear end eating

isos and blowjobs are so 20th century

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

those are more initialisms that I don't understand!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

KoRMaK posted:

those are more initialisms that I don't understand!

oh i thought you were kidding

RSU: restricted stock unit. a grant of actual stock to the employee. this is taxable as income.

ISO: incentive stock option. an option to buy stock at a specified strike price. this gets fancy tax handling and i can't explain it all in one sentence.

ISOs were hot as gently caress for decades because they got nice accounting treatment for the firms that issued them. that stopped at some point, for reasons i do not understand. now RSUs are the new hotness

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oh i thought you were kidding

RSU: restricted stock unit. a grant of actual stock to the employee. this is taxable as income.
And more to the point you're generally allowed to sell them pretty quickly after vesting. Treat them like cash and do so, as it's a dumb idea to buy or hold your own company's stock given you're already betting a good chunk of your career on them.

quote:

ISO: incentive stock option. an option to buy stock at a specified strike price. this gets fancy tax handling and i can't explain it all in one sentence.

ISOs were hot as gently caress for decades because they got nice accounting treatment for the firms that issued them. that stopped at some point, for reasons i do not understand. now RSUs are the new hotness
The accounting reason was that for some reason you could claim ISOs had "no cost" on your balance sheet. And in some sense they were "free", since the cost came entirely out of shareholders rather than out of money already on the corporate books.

This is obvious nonsense as the whole point of accounting is to give shareholders an accurate idea of where the firm stands.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

they're common but they're not OK and that kind of poo poo is still upsetting

sure but leaving a job because of poo poo like this is narcissism. even supposing Kormak was a huge condescending dick the guy is still being an unreasonable professional.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i vaguely recall something about companies being required to price option grants according to some model (black-scholes, maybe?) which made the accounting look bad so nobody does it anymore

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Symbolic Butt posted:

sounds to me like you work with a bunch of shitheads tbh. super disrespectful to do poo poo that like with a colleague. like even if its something super basic like "whats an interface" and the guy was hired as a java dev, it's still not cool. its on the company for fuckin up so bad in hiring that they made an offer to such a completely unfit candidate. and if they somehow managed to bullshit so good that everyone believed their poo poo and it's a total surprise that Java Master Jedi Joe doesn't know what an interface is...move him to sales

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
like jit bull transpile said, it's totally a nerd dude thing

it bothered me a bit in the beginning but nowadays I mastered my Columbo impersonation

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Symbolic Butt posted:

sure but leaving a job because of poo poo like this is narcissism. even supposing Kormak was a huge condescending dick the guy is still being an unreasonable professional.

it's not narcissistic to leave an environment that creates emotional stress for you

Jesus this forum doesn't understand what narcissism is at all lol

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I meant the vulnerable narcissism kind, but let's not turn this into discussing the DSM

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
none of us but kormak were participants in the actual events. we don't know how fuckin bad he hurt that guy, or whether that fellow's complaints were reasonable

my heart goes out to kormak because he admits that there is a possibility that the complainer's issues are real. that's hard. taking a real accounting of your own behavior is painful

maybe the complaints are baseless. maybe kormak will change in the future. both of these things can be true.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
you most horrible interpersonal fuckups are also your best learning opportunities

normally when you gently caress up real bad, nobody tells you. having someone quit and mention you by name is an opportunity to learn the hard lessons that are otherwise unavailable

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you most horrible interpersonal fuckups are also your best learning opportunities

normally when you gently caress up real bad, nobody tells you. having someone quit and mention you by name is an opportunity to learn the hard lessons that are otherwise unavailable

I endorse these posts

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Every single manager will at some point face a meltdown by their report, either directly to their face or indirectly to your boss. It's a thing that happens occasionally (hopefully not too often) and is the result of you physically not being able to perfectly meet the needs of every individual person who relies on you. Sometimes you can learn from it and resolve the issue, and sometimes you can't and where the only reasonable option is for them to move on. It's important to know the difference though and not get too bummed out about it.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

jesus christ

i'm in nyc, too, and i have way more experience than you do, and my last signing bonus was only like $35k

Sounds like your shoes are not nice enough.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

jesus christ

i'm still not really sure how this happened, but when the recruiter asked me for a first number, i said something like 170k base. my other offer at the time was 10k lower, and that's already more money than i know what to do with. then HE counter-offered with 180k base, 50k signing. a couple days later i accepted the offer. he calls back the next day and says he was able to get me 5k more base and 30k more signing. god bless that guy

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Symbolic Butt posted:

career cops absolutely drive me insane

idgaf whether you care what i do or don't know let me do my job and if i can't then i'll either get termed or move on

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Pie Colony posted:

i'm still not really sure how this happened, but when the recruiter asked me for a first number, i said something like 170k base. my other offer at the time was 10k lower, and that's already more money than i know what to do with. then HE counter-offered with 180k base, 50k signing. a couple days later i accepted the offer. he calls back the next day and says he was able to get me 5k more base and 30k more signing. god bless that guy

that guy is the worst negotiator ever

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Fiedler posted:

there are recruiters who consider themselves to work for the recruited, not the company

lol tho

(its cuz they sometimes get a commission based on your salary)

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Pie Colony posted:

a.... good recruiter??? Hope the work is as sweet as the pay.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there are recruiters who consider themselves to work for the recruited, not the company

lol tho

(its cuz they sometimes get a commission based on your salary)

i was gonna say there had to be a catch there, but if the catch is just a percentage commission i ain't gonna complain

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Fiedler posted:

Don’t recruiters get a % of the hired persons salary?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
yeah usually in the range of 15-30%, which is only paid if the candidate stays for a certain period (six months or so).

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yes, but the incentive to fight for more salary for the programmer is kinda low, as they only get a small part of it, and they could instead spend the time/political capital on placing another person and get more money that way.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Xarn posted:

Yes, but the incentive to fight for more salary for the programmer is kinda low, as they only get a small part of it, and they could instead spend the time/political capital on placing another person and get more money that way.

if they know the company is willing to pay way more than what the candidate asks for there's no reason for them to lowball the candidate. recruiters suck but they're not idiots

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Symbolic Butt posted:

my favorite one was how this one dude I worked with made a huge stink because I never heard of ACO before

"oh, uh, yeah, I've heard of brute forcing a solution - why'd they rename it?"

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
back in june I applied for a data engineer/software developer position. it was the second interview and in the middle of it the interviewer asked me about my experience with data cubes and I answered something like "kinda shallow tbh, I mostly read about it" and he acted absolutely indignant for wasting his time lol

I mean, the job posting did not say anything specific about data cubes, nor my resume geez

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

since you mention it: obviously context is required but is there any good strategy for admitting the interviewer's caught you out and you don't know skill/technology X (e.g. it wasn't on your resume or the posting but you were asked anyway--wish that wasn't so common)?

more of a social graces skill than an interview skill i suppose, but since i lack both... :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Interviewers will walk you out of your own wheelhouse on purpose- the correct response is to be up front about the limitations of your existing knowledge, and to show more or less genuine interest in the area if it's critical to the position.

Or, well, don't. I mean, if they say "So what do you know about mongodb" and your response is an honest "I haven't and wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole, lol what a bad architecture choice", then maybe it's a good thing you're selecting yourself out of the running for a job that works extensively with mongo.