Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

3M TA3 posted:

What is up with Q4T lately?

Complete poo poo show...

There was a chunk of Cornellhole clogging the pipes. It's been flushed.

Still a lingering aroma, but that's nothing new. Q4T is back to its regular, dysfunctional (yet somehow beautiful) self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
football is coming home lads

All the Letters are here to see ;)

Eighteenth Day, Twelfth Hour [thats the Longfellow]

Lit by Lamplight

In truth be free

xie fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 26, 2018

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

xie posted:

Lit by Lamplight

In truth be free

how's your wrist

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Crusty Nutsack posted:

how's your wrist

good, but now im old and my knees are poo poo. i got a little too into the secret and then dropped it for a very long time. ive never been too weirdly into something like that and it was weird, i dont know why i thought people were like racing me to it and i had to be all secretive.

i got a new job and i got married and life has been busy, but im working again with the DCR to see about digging with their assistance because its pretty obviously the correct solve & i'm not digging on state land without them present.

last time they reached out to me after i emailed them and said someone was loving arrested for digging in the park and i got really weirded out and just never followed up with them tbh. i was young and didnt handle it well. i also visited the chicago solve and, yep, the boston solve works the exact same way.

im still awful at racquetball tho :qq:

xie fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 26, 2018

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

xie posted:

good, but now im old and my knees are poo poo. i got a little too into the secret and then dropped it for a very long time. ive never been too weirdly into something like that and it was weird, i dont know why i thought people were like racing me to it and i had to be all secretive.

i got a new job and i got married and life has been busy, but im working again with the DCR to see about digging with their assistance because its pretty obviously the correct solve & i'm not digging on state land without them present.

last time they reached out to me after i emailed them and said someone was loving arrested for digging in the park and i got really weirded out and just never followed up with them tbh. i was young and didnt handle it well. i also visited the chicago solve and, yep, the boston solve works the exact same way.

Idiot

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

GoldenFuckingGate fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 26, 2018

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018
Xie,

Any chance you are willing to rehash your compass rose theory? I’ve always been interested, but I admit that I never completely understood your (and 421’s) take on it.

Also, not sure who you are dealing with at DCR, but I am a Boston local and have worked with those guys on multiple occasions in multiple areas. They seem very easy-going to me.

Hope you are willing to share. Welcome back and enjoy the ballbusting that is sure to ensue.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

3M TA3 posted:

Xie,

Any chance you are willing to rehash your compass rose theory? I’ve always been interested, but I admit that I never completely understood your (and 421’s) take on it.

No, I don't spend any time on these puzzles anymore - like casually when I'm on vacation it's fun to walk around with my wife and look at statues anyway because we're nerds, but I don't like... sit down and try to solve them? if that makes sense.

This is the only place I'd be willing to dig is this spot, I've taken a number of people there and pretty much everyone agrees. I've also learned that these puzzles are poo poo and impossible to explain to people, so i'm not really going to try - you always look like Charlie Day in front of the chalkboard. Personal travel took me to Chicago so I went over to Grant Park with a friend and retraced it for fun, which is what made me pick this back up because the Boston solve is exactly the same. There's a permanent structure in the park that looks exactly like something in the painting.

421's take was that a specific (very specific) part of the compass rose looked like something in the painting. I'm not shy about sharing my theory anymore or anything like that, you can stand there on Google maps. https://goo.gl/maps/ovGo236tprQ2

And bluntly I'm never going to dig if the DCR isn't physically present. I got excited and over promised in the past but now the only thing I can say is I'm talking to them and I hope my youth didnt blow the chance a few years ago.

quote:

Also, not sure who you are dealing with at DCR, but I am a Boston local and have worked with those guys on multiple occasions in multiple areas. They seem very easy-going to me.

Hope you are willing to share. Welcome back and enjoy the ballbusting that is sure to ensue.

and duly deserved *shrug* ive been around the internet a while it's not a big deal. shoot me a PM if you have a more local contact, ive always dealt with Ellen the DCR state archaeologist

xie fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 26, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ah yes but does the Japanese translation support your Boston solve?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

How did you age 25 years since 2014?

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

xie posted:

more bullshit
goalposts moved to DCR and CNN being on site with a satellite feed

3M TA3 posted:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I hope you find it Xie.

That said, you're tunneling.
The statue hand holding the book looks absolutely nothing like the hand holding the box in the image. Statue has two prominent, parallel fingers... image hand doesn't

Finding a spiral that sort of matches a spiral in the image is nothing, spirals are everywhere

"All the letters are here to see" being a match for a rock in a field with someone's name that half of sounds like the word "letter" when mispronounced is John Henry tunneling

Her neckline has three nested squares, the random spot on the ground you found has two. It's cool that you noted how different that particular section of her neckline is, I'd never thought of that as significant but now Im pretty convinced it must be a site marker

I guess the nose on her face matches the statue, but the eyes(oval vs round), the cheeks (bony vs smooth), and the lips (upturned vs not) don't match at all

I like that other statue hand match, what statue is that?

I really like your street lamp match, especially with "lit by lamplight" in the verse, but aren't there a frustratingly large number of those lamps?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 27, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

xie posted:

Lit by Lamplight

In truth be free

This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

xie posted:

Lit by Lamplight

In truth be free

u are mentally ill

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

u are mentally ill

With a broken hand

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

xie posted:

so by your usual pattern it's almost winter and you won't be able to dig until the summer when you'll be too busy but then it's the winter and you can't dig and will have to wait until the summer when you are too busy before it's winter again

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

so by your usual pattern it's almost winter and you won't be able to dig until the summer when you'll be too busy but then it's the winter and you can't dig and will have to wait until the summer when you are too busy before it's winter again

Xiedigger’s cat.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sometimes a really good person
That rock has been moved a couple of times from what I understand.

I'd have to look back in the archives to find out where it was in the early 80s.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

burnstyle posted:

That rock has been moved a couple of times from what I understand.

I'd have to look back in the archives to find out where it was in the early 80s.

use wayback machine on google maps and you're set

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cobalt60 posted:

use wayback machine on google maps and you're set

I dread the day where this kind of opinion won't be given ironically. It's not far away.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.

sharknado slashfic posted:

The last time I read this thread was in 2013

Circa 2016 or so a fragile goon broke his arm and posted about it.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

What if the author of these puzzles took some of their secrets with him to the grave... time for a dig?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I didn't expect the thread to dig up xie.

For real, though, somebody who has more than a casual interest in this (i.e. not me) should check xie's idea with the Japanese translation.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Preiss did not give any hints in the Japanese edition for the verse currently being applied to Boston, saying if he gave a hint it would be a dead giveaway for the whole verse.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

homullus posted:

I didn't expect the thread to dig up xie.

For real, though, somebody who has more than a casual interest in this (i.e. not me) should check xie's idea with the Japanese translation.

:itwaspoo:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I'm going to print out this post, put it in a spoon, hold a lighter under it, then inject it in my veins in the bathroom at a Starbucks:

I'm writing a serious post for Q4T about tunneling that pretty much boil down to, "if there are more than 10 million other examples of your interpretation of a clue solve, it is not useful..."

I just can't get over the logical Triple Lindy of "metal rails = metal walls" "the coliseum with metal walls = some building that's not a coliseum and doesn't have metal walls but IS near some metal railings" and "these metal railings are therefore the solution, and not the 17 billion other metal railings in the universe." Definitely a grounded approach to getting arrested for tearing up an extremely protected landmark

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'm going to print out this post, put it in a spoon, hold a lighter under it, then inject it in my veins in the bathroom at a Starbucks:

Thomas tells us his mind never rests. Judging by his 'solve', he should rest it much more.

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018
So what's the over-under on this being a roaring success?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

GoldenFuckingGate posted:

"In negotiations," must mean he's trying to get a local to dig right? Because he never seemed to care about permissions before

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

Drunk Nerds posted:

"In negotiations," must mean he's trying to get a local to dig right? Because he never seemed to care about permissions before

Since his "solves" are apparently "indisputable," I don't see what could possibly go wrong.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
The only part of one of his solves I remember was that some mountain was the "Grey giant" because it was named after someone who was a giant in their particular industry

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

:toxx:

He won't find the Boston casque.
He won't find ANY casque.

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018
Josh is convinced that the Boston casque is inside the courtyard of the Boston Public Library. I’ve heard his rambling rendition of a “solve” for Boston. It’s total garbage and he hangs his hat on several landmarks that were placed after the book was published.

Josh did visit Boston and was denied access to dig inside the library. To the best of my knowledge, he is pimping his story to local newspaper reporters trying to get them to vouch for him and gain access that way.

Bottom line, his story is poo poo, his attitude sucks and even if someone does help him, there is no chance.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

3M TA3 posted:

Josh is convinced that the Boston casque is inside the courtyard of the Boston Public Library. I’ve heard his rambling rendition of a “solve” for Boston. It’s total garbage and he hangs his hat on several landmarks that were placed after the book was published.

Josh did visit Boston and was denied access to dig inside the library. To the best of my knowledge, he is pimping his story to local newspaper reporters trying to get them to vouch for him and gain access that way.

Bottom line, his story is poo poo, his attitude sucks and even if someone does help him, there is no chance.

It's buried in the potted plant by the newspapers.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Someone mentioned that the "subject" of the paintings has something to do with the solves. The ethnicity of the Cleveland solve was that it was in the Greek gardens, and there was a centaur in the image.

I think Charleston obviously shows the lion and the African faerie, so the solve might have something to do with the slave trade in the city. Maybe it was buried near where the slave auctions used to be held?

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018
Out of curiosity, I was watching an eBay auction that ended about an hour ago. It was for an original copy of the book. I have a couple beat up original copies and a new hardcover version. I had heard rumors that the originals were selling for rediculous prices. It sold for $310 plus shipping!

I’m impressed, shocked and puzzled. An original copy of the book may actually be worth more than some of less precious gems that are offered as prizes.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

3M TA3 posted:

Out of curiosity, I was watching an eBay auction that ended about an hour ago. It was for an original copy of the book. I have a couple beat up original copies and a new hardcover version. I had heard rumors that the originals were selling for rediculous prices. It sold for $310 plus shipping!

I’m impressed, shocked and puzzled. An original copy of the book may actually be worth more than some of less precious gems that are offered as prizes.

Less than 10 years ago a copy signed by byron sold for $5

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Did you check in the couch cusions?

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018
Spirtr and others on Q4t have been spending $800 + on original copies. That said, he also bought a couple of the Japanese editions which he's now apparently trying to auction on eBay for 400-600 bucks, so maybe he'll break even in this nutty book-fever environment?

I get that the original editions are undeniably cool, that image quality is far better than in the second printing, and contextually it can help by referencing the images in their original size as they were meant to be interpreted... but it's batshit crazy to think that owning an original copy will provide you with access to additional insight not available via the high res scanned images or in the text and other illustrations from the $20 reprint.

GoldenFuckingGate fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

I get that the original editions are undeniably cool, that image quality is far better than in the second printing, and contextually it can help by referencing the images in their original size as they were meant to be interpreted... but it's batshit crazy to think that owning an original copy will provide you with access to additional insight not available via the high res scanned images or in the text and other illustrations from the $20 reprint.

It does help a little bit... but not enough to be worth $400, especially the Japanese versions which are half the size of the US version.

It's better to just let people take pictures of the details you cant see.

Though I say that as a dude who spent $300 on a us copy... but it was a special copy.