Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir

hamjobs posted:

Update: apple pumpkin pie...... Is, imo, very good.

I made pumpkin bread. What a strange coincidence...

Edit- wait, now that I see HJ's post at the top of this page like that, I nominate it for the new subtitle thingy.

Just look at it up there. I can imagine Senor Slingkitty saying those words, easily.

Sig by Heather Papps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

hamjobs posted:

Update: apple pumpkin pie...... Is, imo, very good.

although cherpumple is clearly ridiculous excess, I would not turn down a pc

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

all pie is good and in the spirit of the holidays, all foods are no longer soups in bread bowls, but pies

Thank you for observing this correction

Jaded Burnout

Sometimes I feel sad that the UK does not have the same sweet pie culture as the US, but if it would come at the cost of meat pies, no sale, uncle jack.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

hamjobs posted:

all pie is good and in the spirit of the holidays, all foods are no longer soups in bread bowls, but pies

Thank you for observing this correction

girl, you knew i knew

Papa Was A Video Toaster

i had a hankering for refried so i made some in the instant pot. okay in my opinion. there are still a handful of hardbois in there, because I did not soak them shizz, but super EZ

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Sometimes I feel sad that the UK does not have the same sweet pie culture as the US, but if it would come at the cost of meat pies, no sale, uncle jack.
That's funny, we were talking about that at work today (in the US) - someone said they don't like pie, it's too sweet, and I said that's because America is dumb and doesn't even have cornish pasties.

quote:

all foods are no longer soups in bread bowls, but pies
Also the observation that the only savory pies America does really are pot pies, which are in fact not pies but soup with pastry croutons.

Manifisto

Jaded Burnout posted:

I will say that watching gbbo has given me appreciation for some of the stuff you do have. and you have tarts, right? those seem to be comparable to sweet pies in some cases, yes pastry tops seem to be uncommon but a lot of US pies don't have a pastry top either

ty nesamdoom!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Butter tart is secretly the best pie. Mincemeat is up there, but I'd eat a communion wafer to get a butter tart.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

didn't even realize butter tarts were just Canadian, I thought they were of UK origin.

Jaded Burnout

Manifisto posted:

I will say that watching gbbo has given me appreciation for some of the stuff you do have. and you have tarts, right? those seem to be comparable to sweet pies in some cases, yes pastry tops seem to be uncommon but a lot of US pies don't have a pastry top either

We have a few, but cheesecake is more common.

I'm not sure I'd ever want to give up the memories of eating "meat" & potato pies from the chippie during lunch at school. They never did say what meat it was, and we never did ask.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm not sure I'd ever want to give up the memories of eating "meat" & potato pies from the chippie during lunch at school. They never did say what meat it was, and we never did ask.

I like to imagine that it's a perpetual stew.

Manifisto

Jaded Burnout posted:

to flip your comment, savory pies are very, uh, foreign in the US and I think it's a shame. I've traveled a bit and been to various spots that enjoy the savory pie, I do like it.

ty nesamdoom!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Hey, we have pot pies here. Home-made chicken pot pie with peas and carrots, mm mm.

sb hermit

Here is one person’s recipe for chicken pot pie

https://youtu.be/VHT43BXTitE

but ... it ... uh ... seems to bend the definition of pie

Manifisto

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Hey, we have pot pies here. Home-made chicken pot pie with peas and carrots, mm mm.

that's valid, I semi-retract my statement. I guess I was thinking more in the sense of takeout/convenience food savory pies, like we have tons of very successful fast food chains but I don't see pie-based ones like I've seen elsewhere. except of course I live in nyc, pie face from australia tried to make a real inroad, but I think they're all closed :(

ty nesamdoom!

Jaded Burnout

Manifisto posted:

that's valid, I semi-retract my statement. I guess I was thinking more in the sense of takeout/convenience food savory pies, like we have tons of very successful fast food chains but I don't see pie-based ones like I've seen elsewhere. except of course I live in nyc, pie face from australia tried to make a real inroad, but I think they're all closed :(

Yeah, having done a google, this "chicken pot pie" you speak of is legit, we just call it chicken pie, but it's fine, it's on the level.

But my dudes it is the Budweiser of savoury pies, and by that I mean I would have it for tea when I was 6.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah, having done a google, this "chicken pot pie" you speak of is legit, we just call it chicken pie, but it's fine, it's on the level.

But my dudes it is the Budweiser of savoury pies, and by that I mean I would have it for tea when I was 6.

Don't you be knocking my homemade savory pies, now. I make a beef pot pie with local meat AND tallow for the pie crust, that's right- I knew this cow.

Fast food meat pies sounds awesome but the thing I want to try if I'm ever in the UK is all the cheap fast-food Indian. Here in the states peak restaurant is "tiny mexican joint run by a family that doesn't speak english" and I hear that phenomenon is with curries instead on the other side of the pond.

Sig by Heather Papps

Manifisto

Jaded Burnout posted:

jaded burnout are you gonna visit samphire hoe? I mean this is the chill forum and you do you, but having looked it up I really would love a trip report.

ty nesamdoom!

Farecoal

There he go
somebody please be lowtax's friend, he is so lonely

BoldFrankensteinMir

Farecoal posted:

somebody please be lowtax's friend, he is so lonely

I'm trying but he's a hard friend to keep interested.

Sig by Heather Papps

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i hope jaded burnout gets hope that we americans cook savory chicken pot pies and shepherds pies and i will make one in their honor and to remember that the europeans brought us the apple and all of it's pie (and other applications) goodness

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

I'm trying but he's a hard friend to keep interested.

please keep trying, your efforts to bring back the front page are inspiring

BoldFrankensteinMir

Is pizza a savory pie? Because we have that pretty much everywhere.

Manifisto

srs post which is probably a mistake. pizza is amazing but as a leavened crust it is not what I think of as a "pie."

ty nesamdoom!

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Fast food meat pies sounds awesome but the thing I want to try if I'm ever in the UK is all the cheap fast-food Indian. Here in the states peak restaurant is "tiny mexican joint run by a family that doesn't speak english" and I hear that phenomenon is with curries instead on the other side of the pond.
That's kind of true, except the best British curry isn't remotely authentic Indian curry, rather it is a fusion and is its own thing (and nowadays these dishes are being exported back to India because they're good!)
Though I'm not sure to what extent Mexican food has been Americanized and maybe even sent back in the same way.

Indian food in California is okay, but cheap-rear end takeaway from a random rural corner in the UK is still better than the best we've found here. (Mexican food in the UK is similarly meh.)

Also! Fast food curry pies are a thing. A great thing.

Edit: also, sausage rolls.

Jaded Burnout

Don't you be knocking my homemade savory pies, now. I make a beef pot pie with local meat AND tallow for the pie crust, that's right- I knew this cow.

oooh nice nice

Pretty much, though they're usually second generation or so and deffo speak English. The lil monoculture family-run joints tend to be chinese or turkish.

Manifisto posted:

jaded burnout are you gonna visit samphire hoe? I mean this is the chill forum and you do you, but having looked it up I really would love a trip report.

I won't be doing any more explores until next year, as I only really enjoy doing them on warm, sunny days. I would've done more this year but I had to dedicate all my spare suntime to working on the outside of the house.

I should probs stash that thread somewhere so I can reform it next year if it falls into the archives, but don't worry I hope to continue down the existing list then.

pizza crust is bread, yo. not enough stodge

roomforthetuna posted:

That's kind of true, except the best British curry isn't remotely authentic Indian curry, rather it is a fusion and is its own thing (and nowadays these dishes are being exported back to India because they're good!)
Though I'm not sure to what extent Mexican food has been Americanized and maybe even sent back in the same way.

Indian food in California is okay, but cheap-rear end takeaway from a random rural corner in the UK is still better than the best we've found here. (Mexican food in the UK is similarly meh.)

Also! Fast food curry pies are a thing. A great thing.

Edit: also, sausage rolls.

agree 100% with all of the above, except for curry pies being a good thing, not because they're not, but because I just not that into curry

If you hit the UK and want to sample Real English Fast Food, go out of a metro area and buy fish & chips (not at the seaside) and hit up a Greggs for some sausage rolls.

Scotland does the same stuff pretty well, but with their own spin on it. (e.g. haggis, and deep-fried mars bars)

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 3, 2018

roomforthetuna

I just realized empanadas are like small cornish pasties.

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/Qyyp0Ha.mp4

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
America has plenty of savory pies: within a few miles I can find empanadas, samosas, Jamaican patties, quiche...

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/ZKydgX4.mp4

BoldFrankensteinMir

What if I made a thin-crust deep-dish calzone, would that be a "pizza pie"? Even if it's not a pizza it's pizza-flavored.

Jaded Burnout

What if I made a thin-crust deep-dish calzone, would that be a "pizza pie"? Even if it's not a pizza it's pizza-flavored.

That'd be a pasty.

Manifisto

PIZZA PIE RECIPE
makes one (1) pizza pie

ingredients:
* 1 pie crust
* 1 pizza

directions:
1. smoke weed
2. where the gently caress did that pizza go?
3. hmm guess I ate it
16. if I wear this pie crust, technically I am a pie
38. holy poo poo being a pie is fantastic

ty nesamdoom!

Jaded Burnout

I prefer being a tau

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Manifisto posted:

PIZZA PIE RECIPE
makes one (1) pizza pie

ingredients:
* 1 pie crust
* 1 pizza

directions:
1. smoke weed
2. where the gently caress did that pizza go?
3. hmm guess I ate it
16. if I wear this pie crust, technically I am a pie
38. holy poo poo being a pie is fantastic

This is BYOB law, every year in November, we must become one with the pie

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

TVsVeryOwn posted:

girl, you knew i knew

I know that you know that I knew that you knew

Also let's make burriots, I am become hanger

BoldFrankensteinMir

Jaded Burnout posted: