Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Why does no one recognize or care about the Tootsuki First Seat, wasn’t that supposed to be like an incredible position lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Eh... I assume the Blue is only accessible for the best chefs in the world. Big fish small pond kinda idea.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
also a lot of the dude's we're seeing are the dark chefs who wouldn't care about such things

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

UnderFreddy posted:

Why does no one recognize or care about the Tootsuki First Seat, wasn’t that supposed to be like an incredible position lol

That's just bog standard shonen bullshit though. Your first goal is the pinnacle of the art...until the next arc, where a new pinnacle that was never mentioned before is the next goal, etc.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

pnumoman posted:

That's just bog standard shonen bullshit though. Your first goal is the pinnacle of the art...until the next arc, where a new pinnacle that was never mentioned before is the next goal, etc.

http://i.imgur.com/0iU2Hh7.gifv

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

UnderFreddy posted:

Tootsuki was supposed to the greatest of the greastest where a small handful actually manage to actually graduate.

Then vegtable chef graduates in the top 10, heads to France and is treated like rookie scum by all the pro chefs.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

pentyne posted:

Tootsuki was supposed to the greatest of the greastest where a small handful actually manage to actually graduate.

Then vegtable chef graduates in the top 10, heads to France and is treated like rookie scum by all the pro chefs.

He actually graduated #1 in his class.

Anyway, the most obvious reading is that no one really cares about Tootsuki except Japan, and it's always been portrayed as top-class because the characters only really care about Japan anyway. Like, everything makes more sense if you just mentally add "in Japan" to any superlative about the school. It's only logical that a professional French chef isn't going to care much about someone who learned French cooking in Japan. Perhaps France has its own super-school too.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
also tootski is also only known by the elite average chefs aren't going to care about your fancypants education

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

is shokugeki still bad

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

blizzardvizard posted:

is shokugeki still bad

That depends on when you last thought Shokugeki was good

I still enjoy it every week but I don't expect a lot from it beyond wacky food battles, T&A, and manservice. I don't think it'll ever be as good as it was during the Autumn Elections or the Moon Festival though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

man the moon festival was so fuckin good

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Shokugeki was still good back when we got Megumin to gently caress up a gaijin dark chef with her hospitality.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Clarste posted:

He actually graduated #1 in his class.

Anyway, the most obvious reading is that no one really cares about Tootsuki except Japan, and it's always been portrayed as top-class because the characters only really care about Japan anyway. Like, everything makes more sense if you just mentally add "in Japan" to any superlative about the school. It's only logical that a professional French chef isn't going to care much about someone who learned French cooking in Japan. Perhaps France has its own super-school too.

That should've been the set up instead of all this Blue and Azami bullshit. An arc where some American school tries to buy out and conquer Tootsuki, a regional/international student chef competition, and so on. It'd be a lot more conventional in terms of shonen plot ladders, but it'd be a lot less prone to requiring ever greater amounts of disbelief suspension.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Please, that's so 90s-2000s, the real existential threat is from the subversive invasion of the Chinese

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

That should've been the set up instead of all this Blue and Azami bullshit. An arc where some American school tries to buy out and conquer Tootsuki, a regional/international student chef competition, and so on. It'd be a lot more conventional in terms of shonen plot ladders, but it'd be a lot less prone to requiring ever greater amounts of disbelief suspension.

except we just had a boring straight tournament arc with a very serious antagonist trying to take over the school. I don't think blue here is perfect but the absurdity of "dark chefs" is good and the format is sofar better than 1on1 food duels

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Elfgames posted:

except we just had a boring straight tournament arc with a very serious antagonist trying to take over the school. I don't think blue here is perfect but the absurdity of "dark chefs" is good and the format is sofar better than 1on1 food duels

I meant as an alternative. And honestly, if Azami was a less serious villain and the shokugeki wasn't just a series of duels, it would've been lots better

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

Please, that's so 90s-2000s, the real existential threat is from the subversive invasion of the Chinese

That's from the 80s!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elfgames posted:

the absurdity of "dark chefs" is good

I disagree strongly with this

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

I disagree strongly with this

well you're wrong.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/286/5458/1

Hey look! It's boring Mc Blandface! But if he's here Goofy Mc Funpants probably won't be far behind!

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
shouldn't soma utterly dominate this round? it's kinda his exact specialty.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

Not necessarily, if you're going for adding value to a meal it's going to be all about those high class techniques that are difficult to do rather than the ingredients themselves.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Where is Rindou?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Takumi and Megumi's challenges sound like they would have been extremely more interesting to watch than Souma's.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Electric Phantasm posted:

Where is Rindou?

Killing alligators and capybaras, presumably.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Rindou needs to come back like yesterday

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm glad they recognized tsukasa through a crowd by his dilberting scarf

Inflammatory posted:

that's why the added tsukasa challenge is rare good writing. soma can beat this no problem but can he beat it better than tsukasa? stay tuned, true beleaters

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Futaba Anzu posted:

moreso saying that tsukuda has probably not even accounted for it at all is the pessimistic view

wow i will literally eat poo poo i am genuinely surprised

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Because I thought it might make for some interesting discussion:

Where Shokugeki has ranked in Shonen Jump over the years

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I'm going to imagine that the only times there were high points during the central arc is because Rindou was there.

But overall, yeah, mood in graph form.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy Crap, for the first 3 years it was absolutely kicking the asses of pretty much anything not called One Piece

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Yeah, that pretty much tracks. I'd say the stuff after the central arc has been better than that, but I think a lot of ppl are just tired of the comic, myself included. Still enjoying food yugioh atm

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The first year was all about cool cooking and cool kids at food-Hogwarts.

Something changed after the Autumn elections...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

M_Gargantua posted:

The first year was all about cool cooking and cool kids at food-Hogwarts.

People keep SAYING this but as someone who went for a reread recently it's just not true. It was a thinly disguised battle manga right from the very start. The entire core concept of the series is the Shokugekis, so I just have no idea what people think they're remembering about this series that isn't endless rival fights. I guess early on there were more classes but even they were sort of battle-like.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The very obvious difference in character growth vs straight food battles. How much character growth did you get in the battle against the elite 10? Now think about vs Nikumi, or the first night in polar star. In the early days the food battles were a shonnen veneer over a character focused friendly rivalry. Now it’s cooks for your life with almost no personal moments or character growth.

I’m of the opinion that in retrospect Erina learning that Joe is Soma’s was the peak and the friendly 3v3 on the train was a last hurrah of what the story used to be about. The stakes got raised to far, the friendly cool cast got pushed aside for bigger and showier character who are undeveloped villains that will be defeated in 10 chapters by cooking harder.

It’s bleach again.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This series lost me the instant Azami showed up.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The instant? I really did like Erina’s reaction to him. His reaction to learning that Soma is the son of his idol.

And thebi started to dislike him narratively after that. If they had come up with a better evil villain scheme it could have gone differently.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

The instant? I really did like Erina’s reaction to him. His reaction to learning that Soma is the son of his idol.

And thebi started to dislike him narratively after that. If they had come up with a better evil villain scheme it could have gone differently.

his scheme was fine to me the man was just a black hole of personality

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Elfgames posted:

his scheme was fine to me the man was just a black hole of personality

This describes my problem with the Central arc just a black hole of personality. I don't mean the villains either most of the fights were like that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Even the Central arc has shining moments like Rindou and Mimasaka's increased presence.

Also the thread freaking out over IT'S JUST A FOUR CHEESE PIZZA is still funny to me.