Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

now obama will let you get mad

prescient considering he just pulled that whole galaxy brained "If they take your right to vote away, vote." poo poo at the Georgia Dems rally

Hoping Stacy Abrams wins despite all the cheating Kemp pulled, yet :matters:

My vote doesn't matter, I say as I close my eyes and feed my ballot into the machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lastgirl posted:

prescient considering he just pulled that whole galaxy brained "If they take your right to vote away, vote." poo poo at the Georgia Dems rally

Hoping Stacy Abrams wins despite all the cheating Kemp pulled, yet :matters:

My vote doesn't matter, I say as I close my eyes and feed my ballot into the machine

whatever you do, please dont feel emotions. they are irrational and therefore bad

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I canvassed today :)

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
I think the ev so far is genuinely encouraging for the dems, but the same was true in 16 - the smarter wonks who do individual state results were all ‘if my analysis is correct, hillary leads by a couple of points, so trump will need to have a blowout Election Day and win big with indies!’ and it turned out they were right, but also he did.

we just have to suffer through to election night before we find out if history repeats.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lawman 0 posted:

Me too!

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Apraxin posted:

I think the ev so far is genuinely encouraging for the dems, but the same was true in 16 - the smarter wonks who do individual state results were all ‘if my analysis is correct, hillary leads by a couple of points, so trump will need to have a blowout Election Day and win big with indies!’ and it turned out they were right, but also he did.

we just have to suffer through to election night before we find out if history repeats.

i get where you're coming from but it helps to remember clinton went out of her way to throw the race

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Apraxin posted:

yeah at the end of the day today's elections in america are equivalent to playing poker because the two sides are so closely matched: you could have the best hand and make the best plays and still lose. So much is outside of the control of either party's campaigns and dependent on what amounts to random poo poo like "oops controversy popup about candidate X at exact right time" , or ILLEGAL ALIEN MS-666 ISIS CARAVAN.

Typo has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Nov 3, 2018

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Office Pig posted:

i get where you're coming from but it helps to remember clinton went out of her way to throw the race

We don't have enough data on how early voting correlates to election outcomes that it's possible to read any outcome one wants in the data.

My opinion:

Early voters are not undecided voters, though they may be occasional or otherwise reluctant voters. Early voting only weakly correlates with enthusiasm, as a lot of early voters are reliable voters and it's difficult, if not impossible to know going into election night how much EV represents time-shifted voting and how much represents votes that wouldn't have been cast otherwise.

EV wasn't great for Dems in 2016, but a big part of that was that the GOP ran a comparable GOTV effort themselves. In the end, both sides ran an equally effective GOTV effort, but that for reasons that aren't completely clear, Dems are more likely to vote early. Trump won because undecided voters broke decisively for him at the end, not because of any early voting trend.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Office Pig posted:

true, and there's other signs that suggest this year's gonna have a whole different electorate to 2016. in the pre-escalator world i'd be feeling pretty good about getting at least an adequate result on tuesday, but after all those months of trump and his army of smug sycophantic ghouls insisting polls don't matter, analysis doesn't matter, we have supreme confidence that we're gonna win big because we feel it in our hearts, and then they were loving right, i'm never feeling confident about a result before it's in ever again.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

We were spoiled because with the rise of the internet from a tool for nerds to something that suffuses every aspect of our lives, we also had a remarkably stable electorate. After GWB put a stake through the heart of the Dixiecrat in 2000 up until 2016, the electoral map was mostly stable. The same states that were battlegrounds in 2004 were for the most part in 2016, aside from minor shifts. This gave us polling that was more accurate than can normally be assumed.

The really big question right now, one which pollsters can only guess at, is whether 2016 was an aberration caused by a race between two of the least likeable presidential candidates in history, or whether the 2016 electorate is the new normal.

Until that shakes out, probably after 2020, we're gonna have to deal with less reliable polling than we're used to.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the difference between two years ago and now is the enthusiasm gap, which was dismally large against the democrats. a month ago, republican enthusiasm was close to democrats due to the kavanaugh circus. even then, that looked like it wasn't going to help much for the house, though it made the senate safer. now with the events of the last couple weeks, those gains look to be erased

individual race polls don't mean as much as those for overall voter enthusiasm and turnout for the primaries

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I personally can't wait until all the polls are correct so we get polls every day forever.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

I get the feeling SC1 might flip. Haven't seen much in the way of polling but if the "yard sign" poo poo is real I think Cunningham is ahead. The Republican, Arrington, is doing a lot of mud slinging lately and leaking some weak rear end stories to the local political blogs which I think shows her being nervous.

A bunch of Republican mayors in the yuppy beach resort cities around Charleston have endorsed Cunningham because he opposes off shore drilling which surprisingly seems like the biggest local issue this election. Arrington has put out a bunch of ads saying its a lie but there is video of her saying she supports Trump's removal of the ban on Atlantic coast drilling. The conservative Charleston Post and Courier also endorsed him (maybe I'm naive but I still believe newspaper endorsements matter in local races)

lamentable dustman has issued a correction as of 00:22 on Nov 4, 2018

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

:yeah:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Peanut President posted:

even if the dems win they're not gonna do anything
the trick is to DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

yeah, cool, we loving know

I'm only in this to watch trump shrink and transform into a corn cob

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
bad post gone

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Typo has issued a correction as of 04:45 on Nov 4, 2018

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

get that OUT of my face posted:

the difference between two years ago and now is the enthusiasm gap, which was dismally large against the democrats. a month ago, republican enthusiasm was close to democrats due to the kavanaugh circus. even then, that looked like it wasn't going to help much for the house, though it made the senate safer. now with the events of the last couple weeks, those gains look to be erased

individual race polls don't mean as much as those for overall voter enthusiasm and turnout for the primaries

I don't think there is ever a big enthusiasm gap nowadays, the main reason being that if one side looks to be mobilized it mobilizes the other side automatically

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

one thing matters: to watch teump fill his diapers on election night

all else is immaterial

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Soup du Jour posted:

one thing matters: teump

all else is immaterial

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna not vote even though i can

eat it, dead troops, u died 4 nothin

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
If my rep or senator was anywhere close to a tossup i would 100% cuck out and vote though tbf

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Apraxin posted:

!! less than 72 hours remain !!

TraderStav posted:

Is this the thread where I ask liberal Goon hive mind to tell me which of my local candidates to pick (namely the 'unpartied' Judges and crap) to participate in the blew wave?

u can just leave those blank

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
I'm posting from the future where it is w e d n e s d a y already and lmao hoo boy you guys are in for a surprise oh goodness

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

crazy cloud posted:

I'm posting from the future where it is w e d n e s d a y already and lmao hoo boy you guys are in for a surprise oh goodness
just pretend i posted the requisite jeb! picture here

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Apraxin posted:

just pretend i posted the requisite jeb! picture here

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

crazy cloud posted:

jeb

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

piss tape is real

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jeb! win is real

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

mailed in my ballot. i think i got a misprint because i had to write in Jeb! for most of the choices and a lot of them didnt have any names just Yes and No so i had to write Jeb! over the entire section

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

On election night I did not clap for Jeb!. This year, I will fix my mistake. Jeb! is real, and strong, and my friend. I will clap for him as I eat my flavorless guac.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Soup du Jour posted:

one thing matters: to watch teump fill his diapers on election night

all else is immaterial
:hai:

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
packing my diapers

to own the libs

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Man Musk posted:

u can just leave those blank

True enough but figured I'd do the needful and cut every red out where I can.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Man Musk posted:

itll be a christmas loving miracle if i can make it that long without being hospitalized arrested or both

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Good luck with that. Also Joe Donnelly D-in is gonna lose, book it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Like literally the entire campaign between Donnely and Braun is over the fact that Donnely owns some company that uses mexican labor and Braun's auto supply company imports parts from china. That's it. That's the whole conflict. Literally that futurama presidential debate but instead of "going too far" it's two right wing white dudes saying "my opponent offshores jobs"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i thought they were competing to try and say that they love kav more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Peanut President posted:

Like literally the entire campaign between Donnely and Braun is over the fact that Donnely owns some company that uses mexican labor and Braun's auto supply company imports parts from china. That's it. That's the whole conflict. Literally that futurama presidential debate but instead of "going too far" it's two right wing white dudes saying "my opponent offshores jobs"

TRUMP