Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

the sparrows symbolize capitalists

or maybe they're the proletariat he's exhorting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this seems good and not at all completely hosed

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/03/experts-fear-impact-of-china-lifting-trade-ban-on-tiger-and-rhino-parts

quote:

China is also using its growing international influence to promote this form of medicine overseas. For the first time, the World Health Organization will endorse these remedies by including a chapter on this subject in its next publication of the International Classification of Diseases. Diplomats from Beijing are also lobbying in Cites to loosen controls on the trade in other species used in traditional medicine.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

why couldn't the cultural revolution erase this poo poo

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's no different than the witch doctor chiropractor poo poo white people's insurance pays for here, I'm sure you're equally upset about that

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
The chiropractor poo poo isn't directly responsible for poaching endangered animals, for one difference

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

It's no different than the witch doctor chiropractor poo poo white people's insurance pays for here, I'm sure you're equally upset about that

chiropractors don't use animal parts from poached critically endangered species you idiot

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Graphic posted:

why couldn't the cultural revolution erase this poo poo

lol it brought it back because they killed all the doctors

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

gently caress you

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The racist double standard is well at play, western homeopathy enjoys legitimacy in WHO policy circles. When Chinese people want alternative medicine that caters to their needs included somehow it's an outrage

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
western medicine is good and perfect i explain as i sell an organ to afford an organ transplant

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

The racist double standard is well at play, western homeopathy enjoys legitimacy in WHO policy circles. When Chinese people want alternative medicine that caters to their needs included somehow it's an outrage

I don't give a poo poo about homeopathy you moron and everyone who practices it should be fired into the sun

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Love to defend the trade in endangered animals

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

It's no different than the witch doctor chiropractor poo poo white people's insurance pays for here

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Yes, that is also really hosed up, and yes, private health care is a travesty. I hate quacks and assholes who prey on the sick whatever form they take. However, this isn't the alternative medicine thread, or the privatize healthcare is a loving disaster thread, this is the China thread.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Jose posted:

Love to defend the trade in endangered animals

jose eastern medicine is still medicine and the whole "CHINESE PEOPLE ARE KILLING ALL THE RHINOS" thing is a joke while this is still happening:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Usage of them is to be restricted, it says, to patients at approved hospitals with “critical” conditions or “difficult and complicated illnesses”. Private trade in those animals’ parts remains prohibited.

So pretty much instead of a total and it's still widely banned and parts can only be sourced from farmed animals or those that died of natural causes. Not sure what the outrage is coming from.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Alternative medicine isn't a need it's a scam dumbass

Al! posted:

jose eastern medicine is still medicine and the whole "CHINESE PEOPLE ARE KILLING ALL THE RHINOS" thing is a joke while this is still happening:

Both of these things are bad actually

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Dreddout posted:

Both of these things are bad actually

carbon is killing rhinos, not the chinese or the trumps

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Al! posted:

carbon is killing rhinos, not the chinese or the trumps

its people poaching them. guess what the only reason people poach them is

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
normally incredulous leftists would write off an obvious, emotionally driven hitpiece by a centrist rag like the guardian except when it comes to spooky chinese.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Jose posted:

people have been poaching rhinos for hundreds of years

its their habitats shrinking into nothing

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

To bring them home as trophies?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

they also need killing

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX7Kgy_brrE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFY6ACKL2PQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwOLBwbc_N0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqdgCt3zXQ

i cant believe the chinese would do this

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

people have been poaching rhinos for hundreds of years

its their habitats shrinking into nothing

Between 1960 and 1975 the population of the northern white rhino went from an estimated 2000 to 500. I'm sure it was the chinese who are responsible for this

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It would actually be really good if there was less bullshit quack medicine in the world, not more, but Peven is here to tell us how Orientalist that position is.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I would say reflexive dismissal of traditional Chinese medicine in general is Orientalist

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
who cares if poachers kill a bunch of endangered species, whats an ecosystem

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Gotta get me that red yeast rice

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

It would actually be really good if there was less bullshit quack medicine in the world, not more, but Peven is here to tell us how Orientalist that position is.

i kind of wonder if there's rhino in the dick pills that are sold on every national network and cable tv in the usa since there's literally no regulation against them

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sure, american greed is killing all life on earth including human life but what's most important is that the irrational chinese are poaching a fraction of the rhinos americans are poaching to make their/our dick pills

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Al! posted:

sure, american greed is killing all life on earth including human life but what's most important is that the irrational chinese are poaching a fraction of the rhinos americans are poaching to make their/our dick pills

what if both were bad

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Ace of Baes posted:

what if both were bad

thank you for joining the #conversation

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
"why aren't people focusing on how bad america is in the China thread?"

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ace of Baes posted:

"why aren't people focusing on how bad america is in the China thread?"

Because white leftists are utterly incapable of criticizing china without being racist or orientalist dickheads.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I would say reflexive dismissal of traditional Chinese medicine in general is Orientalist

Inasmuch as societies discovered e.g. plants with anti-inflammatory properties before anybody had ever heard of Aspirin, that's great, nobody objects to root tea or whatever for aching joints. But that's not really what we're talking about.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Because white leftists are utterly incapable of criticizing china without being racist or orientalist dickheads.
criticizing China isn't orientalist, and poaching of endangered species for homeopathic medicine is worth criticizing

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Ace of Baes posted:

criticizing China isn't orientalist, and poaching of endangered species for homeopathic medicine is worth criticizing

my argument that it's not an issue given climate change and also the massive poaching by americans that eclipses chinese poaching (that is somehow not part of this discussion????) for trophies and is part of the general "chinese are amoral devils" lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ace of Baes posted:

Interesting, could there be a foreign policy or ulterior motive why the white media is so focused on China while vietnam is the largest consumer?