Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Hell is other people in Fallout 76

Bethesdas engine has become a liability

plenty of people, but no character in fallout 76

the fallout 76 beta makes me sad

These impressions read like a sub 70% review by someone done entertaining the game. I don't remember Bethesda ever getting reamed like this before a release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Escape Goat posted:

Apparently my Bethesda.net account name is a ... number? I don't remember creating this. It's not even a clever number like 24601, or has significance in marijuana culture.

Maybe you had it before they like had usernames? My curse/twitch app name is like user293242394824 and I never set it.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Donovan Trip posted:

These impressions read like a sub 70% review by someone done entertaining the game. I don't remember Bethesda ever getting reamed like this before a release.

Lol at anyone telling anyone to play this.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Viva Miriya posted:

Im telling you to play this. In 1 hour.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Agent355 posted:

Throwing dog poop at each other is fun with friends.

"I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and poop."

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

As someone who liked Fallout 4 and blew well over 200 hours just pissing around in it despite themselves I remain curious for Fallout 76 and just want to thank Tempus Thales who gave me a code.

I remain skeptical and worry bout the anticheat being a joke but what the hell, maybe it'll work for me.

I reserve the right to give Bethesda endless poo poo for it's writing though. NCR for life motherfuckers, fry those tin can bastards.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Donovan Trip posted:

The first 3 aren't totally scathing and are right about the issues they bring up, but ultimately boil down to it is a fun, but flawed game.

The last article is more scathing and the guy just doesnt seem to like what Bethesda is trying to do with this game.

Edit: The game is a blast with friends. It is fun solo. It is not fun running into rear end in a top hat randos.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Tei posted:

"I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with Gamebryo."

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Viva Miriya posted:

we've both played eve, for significant periods of time.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Mr Hootington posted:

The first 3 aren't totally scathing and are right about the issues they bring up, but ultimately boil down to it is a fun, but flawed game.

The last article is more scathing and the guy just doesnt seem to like what Bethesda is trying to do with this game.

Edit: The game is a blast with friends. It is fun solo. It is not fun running into rear end in a top hat randos.

The 2nd and 4th are the same guy.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I've tempered my inner fanboi but I had fun w/ this last beta and am seriously looking forward to this with my irl pals.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

So when's the next BETA period?

Dunno, when is it you get off work?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

MJBuddy posted:

The 2nd and 4th are the same guy.

I didnt even see that. Lol

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mr Hootington posted:

But... I am the rear end in a top hat rando. My favprite thing to do is to join people's home conversations. Had a very pleasent event where I heared FalloutGuy2018 yellin at his ma to get him a mountain dew. I told start talking to his ma with respect and she felt backed up by a disembodied voice from the tv. He logged. I had fun.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Agent355 posted:

Throwing dog poop at each other is fun with friends.

I agree it feels everytime there is a bad multiplayer game everyone is like "well its fun with friends" almost anything is fun with friends for a while.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

socialsecurity posted:

I agree it feels everytime there is a bad multiplayer game everyone is like "well its fun with friends" almost anything is fun with friends for a while.

It is also fun solo so there is that.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Watching more beta streams, and the worst thing about this is that if it were a Fallout 4 expansion I'd probably be all over it. But paying full price for half a game, plus all the usual bugs that haven't been fixed in almost 30 years, plus all the new exploits is still such a turn off. The world looks fun enough to explore but everything else related this game does not...

Looks like you can still modify the .ini file while the game is running. Sure that will lead to all sorts of fun, too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
playing this has been jankier than watching streams lead me to believe, but i'm not going to go over all the stuff i encountered since it's mostly been covered and i don't know how much of it is beta roughness. but i will say it does feel noticeably more unpolished than usual bethesda games.

on a positive note, you can immediately feel the larger scale of the world. it means there's space for more small, insignificant locations that provide character and verisimilitude but aren't must see.

also I loving hate the keyboard keybindings.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 4, 2018

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I implemented some config tweaks and the game looks/runs mostly fine, 122-144 fps on highest settings usually.

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax
I just played it for about 2 hours and I don't have anything good to say about it. It's basically a worse version of Fallout 4 with other people's open mics. The controls and interface are worse and more consolified. FPS hardlocked to 30. All the assets are basically ported from Fallout 4 so its not like its an interesting new world to explore, its just asset reusage. Microtransactions are built in, so you know that part is only going to get worse.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender
I teamed up with a couple random people leaving the vault and went from level 1 to 8 just running around and stabbing faces. It was a lot of fun, even while we were just trying to figure out the mechanics.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
After a few hours, my thoughts :

The solo experience is pretty bad. The multiplayer experience is far worse. I honestly don't even understand what it's even supposed to be. Like... nobody is ever going to have the same quests, you're interrupting each other, I honestly can't see one good thing about it. What is the point of it? I can't even work backward from the mess that it is and figure out the design goals, because there honestly don't seem to have been any.

That's not even getting into how terrible the experience is playing a Bethesda game without mods. You're stuck with an FOV that's literally sickening, FOV change on sprint, and such ridiculously exaggerated depth of field that enemies in pistol range are blurred out.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 4, 2018

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Watching more beta streams, and the worst thing about this is that if it were a Fallout 4 expansion I'd probably be all over it. But paying full price for half a game, plus all the usual bugs that haven't been fixed in almost 30 years, plus all the new exploits is still such a turn off. The world looks fun enough to explore but everything else related this game does not...

Looks like you can still modify the .ini file while the game is running. Sure that will lead to all sorts of fun, too.
Yeah this is me in a nutshell. I'm actually rather glad that there are still goons in this thread having fun; you guys have all the fun you can with FO:76 and keep us posted.:)

Like Psychotic Weasel said, it's not even that the game doesn't look fun to play, it's that there multiple issues (both old and new ones) all at once. You've all the thousand little problems that have plagued Bethesda games for years, no Steam, no mods (read: fan bug patches), plus some bigger red flags like the framerate=movement speed thing and that the game happily accepts you editing the ini file that make me not interested.

The best I can say is that I hope this plays out like No Man's Sky and that the game get enough patches and content to make it what it really should have been at launch.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I actually haven't run into anything that isn't the usual Bethesda Jank, floating items/boxes, enemies stuck in walls. It's actually not too bad if you like exploring and looking at things and maybe shooting them. The only annoyance I really felt where in the first few levels if you follow the quest line, you sometimes end up in a conga line where everyone is doing pretty much the exact same thing as you and that for some reason made me irrationally mad and made me gently caress off in a random direction in an attempt to get away from my clones. I feel there actually could be a pretty decent game in here once everyone spreads out a bit and if they made multiplayer optional or made it worthwhile to play murder hobo. Cause right now I just don't really see the point in murdering other players, or really interacting with them.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
To goonfinity and beyond...

Tempus Thales fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 4, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I found two nuke things.

One was a nuke card, and the other was some ..code portion? P1.

heres the card:

https://twitter.com/Teiman/status/1058840319133921280

As for the survival thing. I all a very ill person.

https://twitter.com/Teiman/status/1058822485393764353

Tei fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 4, 2018

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Good job tonight Fashion Squad, we didn't achieve much but we looked great while doing it!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

1 crash and 2 noticeable fps drops. Things are getting better.

I cant figure out how to move on in a quest and now the main storyline is stuck.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I found a preacher outfit and a gas mask and both of those things were enjoyable.

I’m probably playing this game wrong, but I had fun loving around looking at different places and getting lost/distracted by myself. I’m not sure how long that would remain fun, but I’m not going to complain yet.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I didn't have any technical issues outside of one corpse clipping in geometry and some clunky enemy shooting. I'm just not sure what the point of this game existing is. I enjoyed all of the 3D Bethesda Fallouts. This just seems like an above average fan mod for FO4.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Just rolled around with two friends. Took over a junk yard and had a lot of PvP. But really, with good players I at this level I can't imagine people taking over my junk yard. I have a poo poo ton of turrets and foot spikes. The revenge mechanic is hilarious.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Tei posted:

I found two nuke things.

One was a nuke card, and the other was some ..code portion? P1.

heres the card:

<snip>

We found one of the launch sites...

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Aside from technical issues, the thing I really, really hate is the oppressive level requirements for every piece of loot you find. Whenever you find a cool new gun, instead of feeling like "wow amazing", your reaction will be be "sure that'll be kinda cool in around 10 hours when I reach level 25". I guess they had to do this so you can't have your friend drop you a minigun when you're fresh out of the vault, but gosh, it feels really bad

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I hope they got alot of testing done today, gave out all my codes to help nuke the servers. Saw some odd quest bugs, and you need to show everyone on your team where you get quests off corpses because my friends had to run back to loot an item on the body to continue the quest at one point.

Loops
Oct 20, 2011

Did anyone have luck with disabling depth of field? I very badly want to continue playing during the next beta and beyond, but something about the blur in this game gives me terrible headaches :( I tried disabling DoF, motion blur and bokeh in all three .ini files and making them read-only but it seems that I'm one of those lucky few who still have blur despite that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

One of the problems I am running into is lack of adhesive and armor piece drops. It is to the point were I am wearing broken armor because nothing new drops or all my adhesive goes straight into my guns to repair. The drop rate needs to be tweaked a little.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Loops posted:

Did anyone have luck with disabling depth of field? I very badly want to continue playing during the next beta and beyond, but something about the blur in this game gives me terrible headaches :( I tried disabling DoF, motion blur and bokeh in all three .ini files and making them read-only but it seems that I'm one of those lucky few who still have blur despite that.

Try setting radial blur to 0 in the other fallout76 file

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

What's the point of prewar money now? It used to go for an alright chunk of change, especially when you have over 100 to trade like I do currently, but it's the one thing that shows in my junk inventory that I can't trade.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mr Hootington posted:

One of the problems I am running into is lack of adhesive

My buddies kept looting all the duct tape and I was pretty much unable to repair guns. Repairing guns should take steel scrap, I had over 600 of it!!!!!

Also you guys were so right about scrapping all junk before you put it in the stash. It made my stash 400/400 to 130/400.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

Glenn Quebec posted:

Just rolled around with two friends. Took over a junk yard and had a lot of PvP. But really, with good players I at this level I can't imagine people taking over my junk yard. I have a poo poo ton of turrets and foot spikes. The revenge mechanic is hilarious.

I doubt it'll happen much in the long run unless there's a couple of real must have workshops that everyone will always want to have. Given you need to capture and rebuild them every time and they only last as long as your session/till you log out they're nice to have but a hassle to deal with, I doubt people will be all over the map for them and I doubt everyone of the max 24? on your map will be focused on that every session. And if there's someone already on the workshop it might be easier to just log out and join again and see if the next server is empty