Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There is no N in turret. Why the gently caress do people keep putting an N there? Is it a Southern thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

McGavin posted:

There is no N in turret. Why the gently caress do people keep putting an N there? Is it a Southern thing?

Oh relanx.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

McGavin posted:

It was a typo dude wind your neck in.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

It was a typo dude wind your neck in.

How is it a typo? What sort of keyboard are you using where the N is anywhere near the E or the T?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

McGavin posted:

How is it a typo? What sort of keyboard are you using where the N is anywhere near the E or the T?

I don't know but it def doesn't require you to have a meltdown over a rogue N. Go take a break or something seriously.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
what a silly argumet

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm not having a meltdown, you're just not the first person I've seen spell it like that and I'm genuinely confused as to why people persistently put an N there.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

McGavin posted:

I'm not having a meltdown, you're just not the first person I've seen spell it like that and I'm genuinely confused as to why people persistently put an N there.

I'm gonna guess that "turret" is a strange word and people hear it and they're like, oh "turrent".

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Atomizer posted:

Are you looking for premium TDs only? The Hellcat/Jackson are still pretty much the best at tier 6.

Funny you mentioned this and I took it to heart. No purchase necessary as all I had to do was research any T V tank; completing it ment I was able to get the Hellcat for free:

I am planning on going ahead and using all of my gold to boost training for my crew. I do not however have the XP needed to get the rest so I might just hold off on doing that. I also invited my brother to play and we are gonna tag team some lower tiers tonight to get him started.

So yeah Hellcat is now mine but it's not "Ready" yet. :)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Katamari Democracy posted:

Funny you mentioned this and I took it to heart. No purchase necessary as all I had to do was research any T V tank; completing it ment I was able to get the Hellcat for free:

I am planning on going ahead and using all of my gold to boost training for my crew. I do not however have the XP needed to get the rest so I might just hold off on doing that. I also invited my brother to play and we are gonna tag team some lower tiers tonight to get him started.

Do not spend gold 'boosting' training. Its a complete waste when you would be better off having premium time and saving the gold for retraining that crew to the next tank.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

McGavin posted:

Probably habit and having words that end in ent being more common then et. I know I’ve done that before.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

serious gaylord posted:

Do not spend gold 'boosting' training. Its a complete waste when you would be better off having premium time and saving the gold for retraining that crew to the next tank.

Exception: getting 6th sense on a commander.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

saintonan posted:

Exception: getting 6th sense on a commander.

Doesn't it take like an absurd amount of gold to even get the first skill completed, plus having free XP lying around which you'd probably have to convert yourself?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Hellsau posted:

what a silly argumet

guys how do you pronounce grille

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I think new guy should play russian meds cause there's like dozens of prems like the T54 mod 1, rudy and 85m and I forget what else also the T-34 at tier 5 has like 2k+ dpm with the 57mm gun which is the only gun to use with it.
also meds mean you can go places, both where you should and shouldn't so he'll learn maps which is like half of the loving game.
also I know nothing about the new lines, which italiano and polska tonks are good?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Signed in, took the Obj.257 out, landed the poo poo map that is Westfield, then got one-shot ammo racked through the front of the turret (I don't even know how) by some E100.

I'm assuming the E100 penned your turret through the roof (which is only 30 mm, so either gun would overmatch with AP) and maybe the shot hit ammo in the back of the turrent?

Knowing this makes me feel so much better about my own idiotic collection of 350 vehicles across all trees and tiers (even poo poo ones).

Yeah I'd have to look again, but IIRC I have like 260-270. I'm always looking to get rid of redundant tanks (like the regular KV-2 since I bought the KV-2R) and I did sell like 4-5 a couple weeks ago.

moolchaba posted:

Oh relanx.

Have some Cool Hwhip!

Hellsau posted:

what a silly argumet

Oh now you're just being hweird, Brian!

McGavin posted:

I 100% agree with you on this but I've gotten used to it by now. :shrug:

Hellsau posted:

I'm gonna guess that "turret" is a strange word and people hear it and they're like, oh "turrent".

It's just one of those uncommon words that people aren't sure how to spell/pronounce (how often do you use "turret" in life outside of WoT?)

Compare it to "casemate" vs. "casement."

The Hellcat has been nerfed over the years as it started out quite OP, but it's still probably the best tier 6 TD due to that turrent. The Jackson is very similar though, trading a little mobility for more ammo (which is a very real concern, as with the 90 mm the Hellcat is always in danger of running out of its 30 rounds.) The Achilles, by the way, is another tier 6 turreted TD on the UK tree; it's similar but with a smaller gun (the venerable 17 pdr) although it too can run out of ammo because of the low alpha. (The Firefly is basically a better version of the Achilles.)

I'm not sure how the new player bonus stuff works nowadays, but you researched a tier 5 tank and then got a tier 6 for free as well? :confused: In any case, don't play the Hellcat with that 50% crew, at least wait until you can spend the 20k credits per man to get them to 75%.

I'll be able to play with you if you're on, on Monday-Weds, then next weekend (I have a weird work schedule.)

Hellsau posted:

Doesn't it take like an absurd amount of gold to even get the first skill completed, plus having free XP lying around which you'd probably have to convert yourself?

I've done it before (free to crew XP) to get 6th sense on a new crew, because 6th is worth it and there's no other good way to do it. I wait for a sale, and IIRC it generally costs ~20k XP to get the first skill to 100%. That's not too bad to get 6th sense on a Commander (I wouldn't bother doing the conversion for any other crew member or skill): say you play a premium tank and get like 2.5k per battle, do that once a day for 10 days to bank 25k XP, then convert that to free XP; even if you don't convert at the 35/gold discounted rate, you're still only spending ~$2-4 in gold to make the game much more playable (per commander.) I don't make a ton of money or anything like that, but I can afford a few bucks for poo poo like this once in a while.

Fat Jesus posted:

The "N" is silent. :hmmyes:

Fat Jesus posted:

also I know nothing about the new lines, which italiano and polska tonks are good?

Polish: Tier 5 is an MT but is basically a paper TD, it's decent for the tier and I prefer it to something like an M4. I skipped the tier 6 but heard it's fine, and I LOVED LOVED LOVED the tier 7 (which is an HT although I didn't notice it at first.) I haven't started the tier 8 yet (I think I'm waiting for a sale or something to buy it) but I hear the 8-10 are decent-to-good, depending on your playstyle and preferences.

Italian: IIRC the tier 4 is very good, I hated the tier 5, and tier 6+ are good. The 6 & 7 are solid MTs, and above that they get the autoreloader mechanic (which is the best thing WG has added to the game in a long time.) I've only played a handful of battles in the tier 8 (P44 Pantera :rock:) but it's hella fun; it's surprisingly fast, and even with only a 2-round autoreloader it adds flexibility.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Fat Jesus posted:

I'm not a total heathen so the closest would be "G'rilla" (greeluh?). Ook-ook, oof!

Atomizer posted:

I'm assuming the E100 penned your turret through the roof (which is only 30 mm, so either gun would overmatch with AP) and maybe the shot hit ammo in the back of the turrent?
Most likely, but the wanker was a full HEAT tryhard (I did bounce his first attempt but yeah, then he just captain-bumblefuck-no-skill-all-luck'd his way over me). Sub 45% WR.

I'm still seething now.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Bowl turrets have always been worthless against bad players who get lucky.

Fat Jesus posted:

grill-knee

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

serious gaylord posted:

Came back, played 4 games. Got heat spammed through the turrent in the centurion by an Obj 704. Focussed by 3 enemy arty for 3 minutes in another and the other 2 were 15-4's.

Quit game.

You learned the game, now learn the rules, do not play on weekends, you are gonna have a bad time. Like worse than normal bad time.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I unlocked the Cent 7/1 and theres a 150k exp barrier to get the actually useful gun. Including a 45k gun you must unlock which is only used on the cent 7/1 and the only difference to the stock gun is that it fires .2 seconds faster and has an accuracy of .32 instead of .33. 45k exp for that.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

I unlocked the Cent 7/1 and theres a 150k exp barrier to get the actually useful gun. Including a 45k gun you must unlock which is only used on the cent 7/1 and the only difference to the stock gun is that it fires .2 seconds faster and has an accuracy of .32 instead of .33. 45k exp for that.

You this as if surprised when I could tell you the horror of the original t-54 grind.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

serious gaylord posted:

You act like this game is supposed to be easy grinds the higher you go that make sense and allows you to be able to contribute

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

My favorite part of this picture is the J100 pointed in the opposite direction of the E100 and Defender.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Most likely, but the wanker was a full HEAT tryhard (I did bounce his first attempt but yeah, then he just captain-bumblefuck-no-skill-all-luck'd his way over me). Sub 45% WR.

I'm still seething now.

The E100 is obviously taller than the 257, and if he was firing 155 mm HEAT, it can essentially penetrate that 30 mm plate at any angle. Really the fact that the shell penetrated isn't surprising, nor is it that he hit (because shitters get better accuracy as a "balancing parameter" :rolleyes:) but rather that he also got an ammorack out of it.

serious gaylord posted:

They kind of hosed up the tree even though they made improvements. It was a little less awkward because you could get both 20 pdrs on the Caern (not that you should have to go up the HT line to then go back through the MTs, but that's another story,) even though you couldn't use the B-barrel on the Cent 1. Then they added the 32 pdr to the Caern, which was a serious improvement (also to the Challenger, which is quite playable now, but that's yet another story,) but removed the 20 pdrs from the Caern for some reason. :psyduck: I have no idea why they rationalized not just leaving those guns researchable on the Caern as intermediaries between the 17 and 32 pdrs, but that leaves the Cent 7 in an awkward place where it's now the only place you have to research a gun that's obsolete by that point.

Also, if you think that's bad, take a look at the grind to get the 122 on the WZ-120.... (You have to unlock the 113 just to not spend an extra ~120k free XP to get the top gun!)

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Is Frontline back yet

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Not really? Right now I am still playing the Churchill III and learning. But I do tend to stay behind a lot and tend to enjoy picking off shots and doing a poo poo ton of damage. I thought about just buying a T6 to poke around in but I do have plenty of premium days and I need to level up my USA tree a bit to earn it.

If you're having fun playing the Churchill III, you should probably get a KV-1 ASAP so you can re-train your C3 crew for it. One thing WG doesn't tell new players is that premium tanks can use any crew of the same nation that are trained to use that class of tank with no penalty. So a KV-1 crew can use a Churchill III with 100% efficiency, but a light, medium, or TD crew will have a penalty.

Plus, once you do that, you can start skilling up your KV-1 crew and when it comes time to buy the next tank, you can put them back in the C3 and grind credits *and* experience. Provided you don't burn out, you should probably be at two skills and working on a third by the time you hit the IS-3.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Atomizer posted:

The E100 is obviously taller than the 257, and if he was firing 155 mm HEAT, it can essentially penetrate that 30 mm plate at any angle. Really the fact that the shell penetrated isn't surprising, nor is it that he hit (because shitters get better accuracy as a "balancing parameter" :rolleyes:) but rather that he also got an ammorack out of it.

They kind of hosed up the tree even though they made improvements. It was a little less awkward because you could get both 20 pdrs on the Caern (not that you should have to go up the HT line to then go back through the MTs, but that's another story,) even though you couldn't use the B-barrel on the Cent 1. Then they added the 32 pdr to the Caern, which was a serious improvement (also to the Challenger, which is quite playable now, but that's yet another story,) but removed the 20 pdrs from the Caern for some reason. :psyduck: I have no idea why they rationalized not just leaving those guns researchable on the Caern as intermediaries between the 17 and 32 pdrs, but that leaves the Cent 7 in an awkward place where it's now the only place you have to research a gun that's obsolete by that point.

Also, if you think that's bad, take a look at the grind to get the 122 on the WZ-120.... (You have to unlock the 113 just to not spend an extra ~120k free XP to get the top gun!)

Idk it just felt like a right kick, but then I remembered the armoured TD lines and especially the Tortoise are exactly the same.

Given the last 3 tier 9's I've gone through have only had to unlock the turret and then the top gun its just utter poo poo.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Remember. The lb-1 on the t-44 used to be the first gun upgrade on the t-54 before you got the actual 100mm guns. And back then, the t-44 still only topped with the same idiot gun that existed from the t-34-85. T-34-85, t-43, and t-44 all used to use the idiot gun back in the day. So your grind in the t-54 was to be at t9 with the idiot gun as the base gun. Then you upgraded to the lb-1 which was a very minor gun handling improvement over the idiot. And then you could move to a real gun.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I have a 37% win rate in the cent with less than 1000 Wn8. And i've been team killed twice. I'm going to park this thing until I free xp the gun because 230 alpha just isn't scary enough at tier 9.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Merge this thread and the armored warfare thread and call it turrent events

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Control Volume posted:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Internet Tanks Games Thread: You Shouldn't Be Playing Either of Them

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Internet Tanks Games Thread: You Shouldn't Be Playing Either of Them, But One Still Has A Playerbase

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Signed in, looked at the 'currently grinding' section of my garage, signed out.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Control Volume posted:

lmao I saw this post and decided to go see what armored warfare's up to

back toward the beginning of october they added a tier 10 premium you could only get from exclusive loot crates? haha gently caress

quote:

HOW CAN I OBTAIN THE OBJECT 640 BLACK EAGLE?
Starting today, October 8, we are introducing a special Object 640 Black Eagle Reinforcement Loot Crate which will be available until October 16, 2018.

This Loot Crate has a chance of dropping the Object 640 Black Eagle along with a lot of other goodies and is available by purchasing it in our Web Shop for 1 USD per piece in the following bundles with higher discounts than usual:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Didn't they also merge all the servers into one, because NA could barely sustain 5-player PvE queues?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

I have a 37% win rate in the cent with less than 1000 Wn8. And i've been team killed twice. I'm going to park this thing until I free xp the gun because 230 alpha just isn't scary enough at tier 9.

Eh, the E50 is now competitive with the 88/100, and the Cent7 with the 20 pdr B should be similar, but the main issue is that the Cent has ~500 less DPM and to top that off the tank is worse than the E50 in almost every other way. (With their respective 105s the E50 still has more DPM but the Cent has more pen, and is better in some areas like mobility and turret armor.) Getting back to the Cent7 with the 20 pdr, it's not going to be scary but it's a competitive sniper. I mean if you got through the Cent 1 it's more of that until you get the 105.

Signed in, looked at the 'currently grinding' section of my garage, signed out.

Where in the gently caress did you get that picture?!? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Hellsau posted:

Didn't they also merge all the servers into one, because NA could barely sustain 5-player PvE queues?

They sure did!

e: also every other post on their website was "here's the set of SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION versions of existing vehicles (both premium and tech tree) on sale for new money only in the store this week!"

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 5, 2018