Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Torrannor posted:

Second to last dev diary before Holy Fury?

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-107-sprinkling-flavor.1126476/

An assortment of goodies. A way to increase unreformed pagan moral authority without waging war is very welcome. It probably can't compete with burning down churches, but you don't always have enough wrong faith temples in easy reach.

Baptism, pregnancy events, astrology and the doctrine flavors look good, more events are always welcome. And unlocking the viking trait series for certain doctrines is pretty cool.

Finally, satanic baptisms for my children (the ones I don't eat).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Immortal Irish Doge update: at the age of 102, another immortal showed up to challenge me to a duel and I assumed it was just going to be an instant "no gently caress you you've had your fun now die." Instead, because of my high stewardship I was able to have the guards seize them and was then given the option to "put them to use:"

This loving game :allears:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is amazing.

Is that a character modifier or a province modifier?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Torrannor posted:

This is amazing.

Is that a character modifier or a province modifier?

province modifier on your capital

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Haemoarch is metal as gently caress.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

1stGear posted:

Haemoarch is metal as gently caress.

And it's not the top end. I suspect you may be able to become a vampire with that one.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I wish I could pick more than two doctrines. Choices, oh well.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Very excited to see all the extremely metal combinations for religions. How will this translate into EUIV? It would be cool to bring a custom pagan religion into the colonial era.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
If you convert you get the generic religion as it already appears in EU4, no special changes depending on doctrine.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I hope they change that, if there are any real gameplay differences. I'd like to make my next play through to be a simple, unambitious vanilla ironman game with the intent to survive and convert to EUIV for my first real game of that.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Torrannor posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-107-sprinkling-flavor.1126476/

An assortment of goodies. A way to increase unreformed pagan moral authority without waging war is very welcome. It probably can't compete with burning down churches, but you don't always have enough wrong faith temples in easy reach.

Baptism, pregnancy events, astrology and the doctrine flavors look good, more events are always welcome. And unlocking the viking trait series for certain doctrines is pretty cool.

Looking good there. I like that all the pagan religions can sort of do anything now, such as turning the Zun into Hermetic Vikings.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Honestly, something I'd like for religions that will probably have to wait for a mod with the custom reformation options is something to just outright proclaim your immortal char as a God-king or something along those lines :v:

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

BenRGamer posted:

Honestly, something I'd like for religions that will probably have to wait for a mod with the custom reformation options is something to just outright proclaim your immortal char as a God-king or something along those lines :v:

Dunno, back when they were talking about reforming Hellenism they hinted at it being in the expansion.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Edison was a dick posted:

Dunno, back when they were talking about reforming Hellenism they hinted at it being in the expansion.

That could fit in nicely with the saints/ancestors system, change around the localization a bit and a Hellenic "saint" could be an ascended god

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Torrannor posted:

Honestly, the thing I'm most glad about is that dying in childbirth isn't completely random anymore.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The childbirth events better include a reference to The Death of Queen Jane. :v:

King Henry, King Henry
Will you do one thing for me?
That's to open my right side
And find my baby

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Tuscany to Italy to HRE game is going well. Conquered Sicily for a claimant and just changed the succession to primogeniture to keep all those German dukes from voting against me.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Gosh, what a nice, orderly map you have!

On the other hand,

Greece is like that because this:

happened 30 years ago and there was a crusade, but I have no idea what's happening with the Byzantines. Game's been going for ~180 years? I have been totally focused on the northwestern edge of the map so everything else I have NOT paid attention to. The giant brown blob is Lithuania which is...loving enormous.

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 3, 2018

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DISCO KING posted:

I hope they change that, if there are any real gameplay differences. I'd like to make my next play through to be a simple, unambitious vanilla ironman game with the intent to survive and convert to EUIV for my first real game of that.

Yeah, some random religion stuff would be fun for the EU4 random setup, and be great for CK2 conversions.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
man, vassals do not gently caress around anymore. i gave this dudes dad all of de jure britannia figuring it'd put him close to his vassal limit and that title holder would be chill, but nope. wants all of goddamn france too, no matter how many county conquests it takes. dude isn't far from being able to take on the abassids himself.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Got an email from paradox giving me a 75% off code for one CK2 DLC or expansion from the Paradox store. Can't use it on Holy Fury, so it's basically worthless for me, so if someone wants it, speak up and I'll PM it to you.

edit: Nabbed.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 3, 2018

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Conquered France for a claimant and then created the Kingdoms of Aquitaine and Galicia to neuter that threat a bit.

After that I had to fight of an Egyptian jihad for Jerusalem and then a major Adventurer invasion of Galilee.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 3, 2018

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I may have gone a bit overboard in setting up my game (HIP):

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 3, 2018

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
10 days.

10 days and nothing from this poo poo life will matter anymore.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I decided to play again to set the groundwork for holy fury.

Its not a big deal, but I ended up with 50-60 characters in my dungeon so just hit mass execute since why not my ruler is cruel...

first execution was a three year old getting disemboweled.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Jack2142 posted:

I decided to play again to set the groundwork for holy fury.
What groundwork? Your save won't be compatible with HF.

Edit: ah, sure, nvm, go disembowel them all

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 3, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Dwesa posted:

What groundwork? Your save won't be compatible with HF.

I haven't played the game in awhile and wanted to refresh how to play.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've been tinkering around with the silk road as a merchant republic, trying to understand the mechanics of the jade dragon set up. Couple of things I've learned. The connected to capital bonus seems totally random, just as it does for normal coastal counties, although when it comes to the silk road, I haven't found a surefire workaround. I have a direct line of trade posts from my capital to Trapezous in the byzantine empire, so the post there has the bonus. If you follow the silk road upstream and inland, I also have trade posts all throughout the Middle East, and while generally you can guess which ones will have the connected to capital bonus and which ones won't, it doesn't always make sense. For instance, I have all the silk road trade posts surrounding Basra, and all of them are connected to capital, but Basra isn't. Merv has it, but Samarkand and Kabul do not, even though both of them have a straight line to Merv with no trade posts in between. It doesn't follow "streams" or anything like that. It's pure nonsense. So that's the bad news.

The good news is that for whatever reason, the income from silk road trade posts is loving absurd now, to the point that connected to capital doesn't even matter. 3 to 4 times what you would get for a normal trade post that is connected to capital in the middle of a huge trade zone, and that's with no connected to capital bonus, and with each silk road trade post being in a trade zone of 1 post (itself). Tana is nomadic, and with a base trade post with no upgrades, (and connected to capital bonus because reasons), the income is often over 60, which would be god tier for a normal trade post. I have quite a few at or very near 100 with no buildings in them. That's like 5 very good trade posts in one. The other good news is that as a republic, when you conquer a county that has a silk road trade post in it, or one being constructed, it just magically goes to your family, regardless of your current limit. It stays with your family even if you give that county away. If there's no trade post in that county, you can build one, and as soon as it begins construction, you can hand it off to a vassal and when the construction is complete, the trade post will still be yours. This means you don't need to do any fuckery to build a massive inland trade network. It used to be a bit finnicky, but now it works pretty seamlessly. It's very ironman friendly. When you start adding in the unique buildings you can build in silk road trade posts, the income can go through the roof, and all you have to do to get it is conquer counties that have potential silk road trade posts. So if you're a republic, and there's silk road trade posts near you, go conquer that county and the post there will immediately dwarf your best trade post, and it will plop right into your hands without having to do anything.

Lastly, this is a fairly new thing, but probably old enough that I'm surprised I've never heard of it before. If you are a republic and you are jewish and/or have khazar, ashkenazi, or sephardi culture, in your silk road trade posts, you will have the option to build radhanite compound buildings. These are ridiculously overpowered. They provide bonuses to your levy, to income, to tech spread rates, and the amount of tech points you get. There's also more than 1 level of them. I'm very curious to see what happens when you build like 30 of those fuckers. The tech bonuses alone would be amazing.

All of these mechanics should apply to the new trade routes in Africa that are going to be introduced in holy fury.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 4, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Thinking about it, if you want to go Hellenic faith, it's probably far, far easier if you mend the Great Schism first. Because otherwise, as soon as you convert, one of the core Christian sites will be held by a non-Christian, meaning automatic unlock of crusades and Christian holy orders (at least the Knights Templar and Knights Hospitaller). That's not ideal. If you mend the Great Schism, then crusades are disabled entirely. And no Catholic holy orders will form if crusades are not unlocked. If you take care not to convert Antioch and Jerusalem to Orthodox, then there won't even be an Orthodox holy order to make trouble once you embrace Hellenism.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Is there a way to turn off that little three-second music clip that plays whenever an event pops up? You hear it so often it's beginning to engrave itself into my brain.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Go into your install folder and delete any of the sounds you don't want. Game works fine without them.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Gort posted:

Is there a way to turn off that little three-second music clip that plays whenever an event pops up? You hear it so often it's beginning to engrave itself into my brain.

[ck1 menu bugle]

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I'm like a hundred years into a game for the first time and if I play it on 3 or 4 speed, every three to five seconds there's a popup demanding to be dealt with. and when I'm at war, forget about it, there's just a deluge of victory/defeat popups taking focus from whatever I'm doing. it's really getting annoying, I can't do anything without having my concentration interrupted unless it's paused or I'm playing at 1.

on the plus side, I have a dog and I get that "your kids love your dog!" message every few months. they all have a +50 opinion bonus to me because of this thing. does that disappear when they turn 16?

e: after some continued holy warring in Jerusalem I got a trade post on the Silk Road for the first time and god drat this thing just prints money

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

I'm like a hundred years into a game for the first time and if I play it on 3 or 4 speed, every three to five seconds there's a popup demanding to be dealt with. and when I'm at war, forget about it, there's just a deluge of victory/defeat popups taking focus from whatever I'm doing. it's really getting annoying, I can't do anything without having my concentration interrupted unless it's paused or I'm playing at 1.

on the plus side, I have a dog and I get that "your kids love your dog!" message every few months. they all have a +50 opinion bonus to me because of this thing. does that disappear when they turn 16?

-you can right click a popup to set its priority level and how you will be notified, from pause game to don't even bother me with this poo poo

-you can hover over the opinion box on a character to get a breakdown of what modifiers are in place and when they will expire

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

luxury handset posted:

-you can right click a popup to set its priority level and how you will be notified, from pause game to don't even bother me with this poo poo

oh gently caress!!!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Various Meat Products posted:

Go into your install folder and delete any of the sounds you don't want. Game works fine without them.

Thanks! For anyone else who wants the sound gone, the event sound is at Steam > Steamapps > common > Crusader Kings II > sound > character_event.wav

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The pro move is to replace it with the windows 95 startup chime.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The pro move is to replace it with Cartman saying respect my authority

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The pro move is to replace it with "Nico Nico Nii!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I think that sound must be a Way of Life thing or something because I can't say I've ever noticed a sound or music chime when getting character events, and Way of Life, Conclave and Jade Dragon are the only major DLCs I don't have.

• Locked thread