Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

sorry for the question spam, how do I stop my dupes disinfecting tunnels way out in the boonies? I've got some tunnels built in slime environments and my dupes run all the way over to disinfect them. this is not good. but the only way I can see is to click each wall tile individually and disable disinfect. and nobody has time for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The germ overlay has a good option for that, the germ value they sterilize at. I usually set it to like 100k so they stop sterilizing every loving wall every other day and just hit the high value targets.

Wall tiles out in BFE that are touching a piece of germ ridden slime biome you unfortunately have to turn off disinfect one tile at a time if you let them stay. I tend to just religiously mine out and replace every piece of externally exposed slime. Gonna use it for fertilizer at some point anyway, might as well save the sterilizing frustration.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Where do you get enough regular ore from to feed to smooth hatches? Also that's a lot of ore to dump into regular hatches just to poop coal for a long time before they even become smooth.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

bird food bathtub posted:

Hatch automation has always been a bit of a failure for me. I have not figured out good ways to get to the end state of "I want 8 adult hatches in this area. When they die replace one, if not stop over populating you frustrating jackasses"
Just set it to auto wrangle and dump the extras off in a tiny room somewhere. I was too lazy to figure out an auto butcher so I just click on the 'a critter is starving!' notification every so often and mass select them for murdering.

Qubee posted:

sorry for the question spam, how do I stop my dupes disinfecting tunnels way out in the boonies?
This annoyed me so much I just turned off disinfecting entirely and I haven't noticed a difference yet.

quote:

Where do you get enough regular ore from to feed to smooth hatches? Also that's a lot of ore to dump into regular hatches just to poop coal for a long time before they even become smooth.
It's sedimentary stone for regular hatch -> stone hatch. Stone -> smooth you need to feed them ore but that always seems to go faster for me than getting stone hatches in the first place. If you're short on ore go looking for a patch of iron.

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 2, 2018

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

bird food bathtub posted:

Wall tiles out in BFE that are touching a piece of germ ridden slime biome you unfortunately have to turn off disinfect one tile at a time if you let them stay. I tend to just religiously mine out and replace every piece of externally exposed slime. Gonna use it for fertilizer at some point anyway, might as well save the sterilizing frustration.
Making it so that slime doesn’t directly touch your tiles (e.g. dig out the slime one square under your walkway) seems to get rid of a whole lot of disinfecting, too, if you don’t want to strip mine right away.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

how do I farm wort seeds? I can only place them into flower pots and not farm tiles.

also, the geyser is gonna erupt in 3 cycles and I feel like everything is going to break, because the gas comes out at 150c and my poo poo starts to break at 75c. am I meant to seal the geyser off, pump gas from the geyser to a cooling room, then from the cooling room to my generators?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Qubee posted:

how do I farm wort seeds? I can only place them into flower pots and not farm tiles.

also, the geyser is gonna erupt in 3 cycles and I feel like everything is going to break, because the gas comes out at 150c and my poo poo starts to break at 75c. am I meant to seal the geyser off, pump gas from the geyser to a cooling room, then from the cooling room to my generators?
You can't, they're a finite resource. What kind of geyser is it?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Splicer posted:

You can't, they're a finite resource. What kind of geyser is it?

ah, fair enough. it's a natural gas geyser and I analyzed it, it's going to erupt more gas than my generators can keep up with, and it comes out blisteringly hot. I might try and canister it all for when the geyser is dormant.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
What I did in my current base is let the gas drift through a long hallway until it gets to my pump, which gives it enough time to cool down. And making the pump out of gold is usually enough to deal with most gasses until you start dealing with the really hot stuff.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm perpetually smashing solutions quickly together with duct tape and lack of quality, and then leaving it forever but constantly telling myself "I'll optimize that later on", but I never do. so my current natural gas generator room is atrocious, but the sheer work involved to redo the plumbing, power, and room building itself makes me keep pushing it off. and there's always one more problem that needs to be dealt with faster than the one I've put off for ages.

and then I have about 6 systems all fail on me near the same point in time and I regret not sorting things out sooner rather than later.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
One solution to geyser heat, in my case a steam geyser, is to pump cold water past it from a slush geyser, but realistically even like 100 degree water works if you are working with a >100 source.

The thing with heat in general is it just needs to be manageable in almost all cases, not gone entirely. Basically I use the 14F slush water to transfer heat away from the really hot source, then delete that heat later on in some process, in this case sieving that water at a static output temperature. That gives me like 90F+ of cooling potential in that polluted water since I should absolutely aim to get it above the 100F static output of a sieve, as then I'm deleting heat and not making it. As said though, and the important part, is this process would also work fine with 100F degree water or gas so long as the area it needed to cool was >100F, you just have less potential heat to trap. Use radiant piping or granite regular pipes in the areas you want heat transfer to happen, then just insulate all the other piping between areas.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 3, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What's all this Fahrenheit bullshit

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
It's what I grew up with so its easier for me to parse, didnt feel like converting all the values for an SA post this morning

EDIT: -10 and 40 for 14 and 100

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 3, 2018

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Qubee posted:

ah, fair enough. it's a natural gas geyser and I analyzed it, it's going to erupt more gas than my generators can keep up with, and it comes out blisteringly hot. I might try and canister it all for when the geyser is dormant.
Wall it off and put a gas pump inside the room? If it’s enclosed, it’ll stop producing when the gas pressure inside reaches 5000g.

Unrelated, even though I have startoveritis I have never found a slush geyser.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Unrelated, even though I have startoveritis I have never found a slush geyser.

This was the first I've ever really had access to early. Crazy geyser placement all around, there is another copper volcano just off screen, and the starting area was one screen over from all of this. Unfortunately the slush and the steam are <20% in the geyser calculator, the gold is 90% but 4000° refined gold is interesting to work around. You can cool it pretty easily in batches (I store it in that slush geyser pit which also takes polluted ice) but the area around it is ...hard to manage early on. Those obsidian (anything else could realistically melt) pipes in there are basically for show, it doesn't even put a dent in the active temperatures. I'll have to come back to it later on. Upside is I did get 10 tons of gold from its first eruption cycle which is now at 10°, which owns for ~75 cycles in considering it cost me nothing.

We'll see how long I make it in this particular game myself.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 3, 2018

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

For hatch farming I semi automate like this.

3 rooms one for each type of hatch. The floor is made entirely from mechanical airlock placed side ways.

Clock timer opens the doors once per day. All of them. Hatches balance on the edge of doors. Eggs don't and fall through. Each drop off point is set to 3 hatches with a priority of 7.

Under this is a replica of my rooms above but with normal floor. Drop offs set to auto wrangle at 1 and set for morb or some critter that i am not ranching. Priority 5. Eggs hatch. Hatchlings are bugged and don't get wrangled. They mature and get wrangled.

Then I have a kill room with a drip off set to 20 of all hatch types priority 6.

Dupes handle the rest.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Qubee posted:

I'm perpetually smashing solutions quickly together with duct tape and lack of quality, and then leaving it forever but constantly telling myself "I'll optimize that later on", but I never do. so my current natural gas generator room is atrocious, but the sheer work involved to redo the plumbing, power, and room building itself makes me keep pushing it off. and there's always one more problem that needs to be dealt with faster than the one I've put off for ages.

and then I have about 6 systems all fail on me near the same point in time and I regret not sorting things out sooner rather than later.

Oxygen Not Included - Perpetually Smashing Solutions Quickly Together With Duct Tape

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm laughing so hard because I just realised my power solutions are so atrociously inefficient, for every 800W of energy I produce, I'm using 600W of energy just to make it functional :discourse:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Probably the best advice I can give anyone starting out is don’t be afraid of “No Sweat” mode. It isn’t the easiest mode and “Survival” isn’t the hardest. No shame.

No Sweat is ideal for learning how to transfer and pump heat out of your colony, or set up an efficient power grid, or how to play around with automation and shipping, and all with a good chance none of your merry band of idiots starving to death (death by entombment is still all on you).

The only caveat if you switch back to Survival, is that it’s easy to not account for all the extra drain you’ll now have on your resources, and way more pissy Dupes (literally).

But at least you’ll know how to keep your base from slowly cooking to death!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Qubee posted:

I'm laughing so hard because I just realised my power solutions are so atrociously inefficient, for every 800W of energy I produce, I'm using 600W of energy just to make it functional :discourse:

What?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Heat management for me, even on survival, usually consists of building a SPOM for air temp, keeping industrial stuff like refineries out of the base, and raiding ice biomes as soon as feasible. If I notice a hot spot, usually my cooking grills and transformers in the beginning, drop a wheeze plant right there and check back in four or five cycles to see if things have gotten worse.

(Like the time I had 17 tons of 90* diamond in the center of my base)

That's, like, the entire heat management strategy for me for the first 200 cycles or more before getting into complex stuff like AETN-cooled water for bristle berries or vacuum-ringed main base for near perfect insulation.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

my two hydrogen generators use 3 pumps (240W each), some automation stuff, filters (120W each?), I can't remember exactly, but I haven't designed my power rooms efficiently, so hydrogen sorta lines the top of the room and my pump sits in the top middle constantly waiting for hydrogen to hit it. I've also got another pump feeding the electrolyzers. It's grossly inefficient.

same with my natural gas generator room, I've got one pump feeding the generator, and one feeding my gas tanks to store it during the dry periods. I'm gonna tear it all up and redo it better.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Here's my industrial zone.

Area 1: The original coal generators. They were useful for two hundred cycles or so, but once I built the infrastructure for reliable petroleum production, I switched to petroleum power. I will be decommissioning the coal generators very soon to reduce the number of stone hatches I need to look after.

Area 2: Power storage. If you look at the automation screenshot below, it becomes super easy to understand. Basically, each floor is its own circuit, and everything is tied to the generators via a series of OR gates. If any of the batteries goes below threshold, generators kick in, BUT they only feed power to that battery, usually filling it up in about a second. Hooking each battery to its transformer using the automation wire is super important, because if a transformer is active then it can receive power, which results in a LOT of waste. So you need to make sure the battery also turns off its transformer when full, in addition to the generators.

With this setup, whenever I need a new circuit, I just build a new floor with a smart battery and transformer and hook them up to the main power line and automation grid. Super simple. The current setup supports 8 circuits, but with additional OR gates it can support more.

Area 3: Standard SPOM. Nothing special.

Area 4: Metal refinery. Originally used polluted water, switched to petroleum later. The cooling setup is actually very efficient, and can negate the heat from steel production running at 100% capacity. Will pop in a couple more wheezeworts in the cooling chamber once I build the second refinery (turns out space industry requires a shitload of steel).

Area 5: The main power generators. The petroleum generator is the main one, and can easily feed the entire colony by itself even when not beefed up. The natural gas generators are there to use up the natural gas byproduct of petroleum refineries, as well as the oil well down below.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Qubee posted:

same with my natural gas generator room, I've got one pump feeding the generator, and one feeding my gas tanks to store it during the dry periods. I'm gonna tear it all up and redo it better.
You could do natgas - pump > tank > generator and get rid of a pump. That is, pipe the green output port of the tank straight into the white input port of the generator.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You could do natgas - pump > tank > generator and get rid of a pump. That is, pipe the green output port of the tank straight into the white input port of the generator.

that's a good idea and I've got the infrastructure in place, so I can delete a bunch of pumps and make it so I'm not getting a 20% net production on power every time I make a power setup lol

I go overboard with pumps and filters and everything. I should start reading how much gas / liquid buildings output vs how much they take in, so I can properly feed them all with as few pumps as possible.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also it’s probably a bad idea to count on hydrogen power for anything other than powering your SPOMs, IMO. They suck down hydrogen so fast you’ll run out quickly. And you’ll want the H when you find AETNs.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

is there some sort of gas density chart? I've got pockets of chlorine and natural gas in my base and I want to pump them all out so I only have CO2 and O2 in my base, which are easy to manage. right now, the only way I can think of doing this is by building a temporary pump wherever these gas pockets are, but I haven't done it yet because the work involved for a pocket that would be sucked out in maybe 5 seconds doesn't seem worth it, or there pockets are spread out along the top of my base and I'm not sure if one pump would be able to suck out the entire row of gas (seeing as gas behaves a bit odd).

any advice?

I'm totally stealing the one floor = one separate circuit idea, that's great.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The only gas I try to keep out of my base is polluted oxygen, since it allows germs to breed. Everything else eventually settles either at the very top or the very bottom, usually inside one of the pits, and doesn't cause any harm.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Qubee posted:

is there some sort of gas density chart?

There's a wiki for this stuff: https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/Gas

For your particular density question, though:
Hydrogen < Oxygen/Polluted Oxygen < Natural Gas < Chlorine < Carbon Dioxide

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I try to make the top and bottom of my base have a gentle slope, 1/5 usually, to funnel all the miscellaneous gases into one point, then keep a pump there with an atmo sensor set to max values that I can flip from "above" to "below" myself as an on/off switch. If the pockets get big enough to irritate me, flip it on. Filter to keep the oxygen in the base, dump everything else outside.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

This setup definitely deletes water, by the way.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

enraged_camel posted:

Strange mine didn't. A super safe alternative would be 3 sensors one for each layer of height. Close the bottom doors. Then the next after water has settled. Then the next.

Assuming the loss is from water getting stuck on the left middle door and having nowhere to go.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

enraged_camel posted:

Are you sure it's not just the pwater outgassing?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

how can I make a fancy airlock with mechanized airlocks, so one door is only able to be opened at a time? I want to fully seal my base off and have an airlock on the North, East, South and West sides of my base, but I'm tired of dupes running through real fast or standing idly in a doorway and letting a bunch of nasty gas into my base.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

You can make an expensive real life type airlock but it's really slow and takes a lot of power.

An easier way is 4 doors. I=I laid out like that. Vertical two stacked horizontal and vertical. It's 99% perfect airlock.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

sounds good, I'd love to see them add a researchable airlock type building though, a 2x4 room or something.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Qubee posted:

sounds good, I'd love to see them add a researchable airlock type building though, a 2x4 room or something.

It should decontaminate a dupe and their cargo as well, that would be rad

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Literally Kermit posted:

It should decontaminate a dupe and their cargo as well, that would be rad

hell yeah, pipe chlorine into it and the dupe goes through a decontamination animation.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
You can also make water locks, which are 100% effective and easy, but feels exploity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Water locks do give your dupes a bit of stress so I try to keep them on the other side of exosuit check points. And yeah it does feel exploitey but screw it, until they put in a no-poo poo airlock that actually works I'll keep doing it.