Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

spanky the dolphin posted:

On the latest beta if I tap a tweet I'm no longer taken to it. I can still hit the tweeters user name to go to their account though.

e: holy moly I can play embedded twitter videos in app though

Will check out tweet taps probably tomorrow.

Also new beta coming hopefully shortly to fix spoilers and mark-as-read-to-here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I can't tap on quoted pictures to view them either.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

pokeyman posted:

This one's on the list. Unfortunately I have no idea what causes it, nor do I have any workarounds for you :(

I just disabled it. This will do for now :)

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Will check out tweet taps probably tomorrow.

Also new beta coming hopefully shortly to fix spoilers and mark-as-read-to-here.

I just found you can tap a tweets comments counter to jump into twitter. So all up we have gained twitter functionality somehow!

e: the letter spacing under the icons for Forums, Messages, Bookmarks etc is now non-existent.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 3, 2018

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

quote:

e: the letter spacing under the icons for Forums, Messages, Bookmarks etc is now non-existent.

Now would be a good time to kill those labels altogether! :D

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

I just found you can tap a tweets comments counter to jump into twitter. So all up we have gained twitter functionality somehow!

You can tap the time stamp for a direct link

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I can't tap on quoted pictures to view them either.

Good catch, on it!

The Dave posted:

Now would be a good time to kill those labels altogether! :D

Counterpoint: mystery meat is bad.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You’d have a hard time convincing me that the leper’s colony icon was self documenting, at the very least.

It’s also not the standard icon I think of for bookmarks, but I may be a few OS visual refreshes behind.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The font size and/or kerning is hosed though, can’t argue that. I’ll look into it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I won't argue those icons immediately represent the areas of the app.
I will argue the learning curve is less than 1 minute and is worth the lifetime of a cleaner app appearance.

It's okay if things are a sliver discoverable.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Put them in a hamburger menu

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The Dave posted:

I will argue the learning curve is less than 1 minute and is worth the lifetime of a cleaner app appearance.

We had this discussion ages ago and I agree.

Lepers is the trouble icon. And there isn't an easy representation of lepers or what the lepers colony is that will translate as far as I know. Without the label of a new user might assume it's deleted messages or something.

In saying that, the lepers colony can't be used that much, can it? Like it isn't a key feature that if people can't find it straight away breaks the app experience. I feel like hitting the trash can once and reading the top of the screen is easy enough for what I see as a niche feature.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jail cell icon?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

kittyjail icon

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah just anything silly, they tap it once and go “oh ok” and never go there again and the ui is way cleaner.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The Dave posted:

Yeah just anything silly, they tap it once and go “oh ok” and never go there again and the ui is way cleaner.

Ok I'll try and make something. Any more suggestions let me know.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lepers is the trouble icon. And there isn't an easy representation of lepers or what the lepers colony is that will translate as far as I know. Without the label of a new user might assume it's deleted messages or something.

A severed finger?

(Though maybe what we really are saying here is let's get away from that term in the first place)

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Data Graham posted:

A severed finger?

(Though maybe what we really are saying here is let's get away from that term in the first place)

Yeah I think something like jail bars is the right approach.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

What about this?

A prison window.

If you want to try plugging it in I've put it in the Lepers folder.

e: also you can't expand images full screen at all this new beta. Or look at spoilers.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 4, 2018

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

I need a more compelling reason than "a cleaner app appearance" if we're going to go against platform conventions and remove functionality (however small that functionality may be). If we have a better use for that space, or if they interfere with someone's use of the app, then I'm game.

That said, ianad, and I could be missing something here.

In saying that, the lepers colony can't be used that much, can it? Like it isn't a key feature that if people can't find it straight away breaks the app experience. I feel like hitting the trash can once and reading the top of the screen is easy enough for what I see as a niche feature.

I don't have any data, but I suspect it is not used very often. If/when we add a feature that makes any sense as a tab, that new feature will surely replace the Leper's Colony. I'm not sure what that feature might be though. SAclopedia?

Search might deserve its own tab, though when I envision adding search to the app it ends up in contextually relevant places like the top of a thread list or as a toolbar button in the posts view.

What about this?

A prison window.

e: also you can't expand images full screen at all this new beta. Or look at spoilers.

I like that Leper's Colony icon.

Expanding images and revealing spoilers should be fixed in the current beta, build 34301.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

On the latest beta if I tap a tweet I'm no longer taken to it. I can still hit the tweeters user name to go to their account though.

I was poking at this, and if you tap the date in the tweet it'll load the tweet in Twitter.app/MobileSafari.app. The only alternative I can think of is to put an element overtop the whole tweet and swallow all taps, which would probably break e.g. videos. So it's not great but I think leaving it as-is is the way to go.

If anyone has any thoughts for dealing with click events in an iframes from a different domain, though, I'm interested!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

pokeyman posted:

I need a more compelling reason than "a cleaner app appearance" if we're going to go against platform conventions and remove functionality (however small that functionality may be). If we have a better use for that space, or if they interfere with someone's use of the app, then I'm game.

That said, ianad, and I could be missing something here.

A cleaner app appearance means less visual clutter, which means less noise to draw your eyes to, gives more focus to the content that should be in focus. It sounds like a visual design only call but it has subtle affects on visually parsing a page.

If you look at some of the native first party apps (safari, mail) or some of the most used third party apps (facebook, instagram, twitter, linkedin, slack) you'll see them do the same. When you main content to consume is text, it better serves that content to not have competing text elements.

To be honest I'm not super passionate about this, I just think it's a nicer/better direction.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The Dave posted:

A cleaner app appearance means less visual clutter, which means less noise to draw your eyes to, gives more focus to the content that should be in focus. It sounds like a visual design only call but it has subtle affects on visually parsing a page.

If you look at some of the native first party apps (safari, mail) or some of the most used third party apps (facebook, instagram, twitter, linkedin, slack) you'll see them do the same. When you main content to consume is text, it better serves that content to not have competing text elements.

To be honest I'm not super passionate about this, I just think it's a nicer/better direction.

Yeah I definitely agree with this. Twitter was the first example that jumped out to me.

The labels are essential wasted space after the first 15 seconds imo. Even a few pixels more of threads at least serve some purpose

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I miss the old pull distance. Depending on how many posts are visible it can now be more than a full swipe with my large thumb on my 6S+.

Did the “only count the pull if the view was already at the bottom” idea have some issue with it?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Perhaps the best compromise is the way that Chrome handles it, where you pull to refresh but you need to hold it for a second

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

Safari and Mail have never had a tab bar though? The built-in apps that do, like App Store, Clock, Files, Home, and Music, all show titles in their tab bars. App Store especially just got redesigned to much fanfare, so if no titles was the way to go we would’ve seen it there.

That makes sense about competing with the main content text. That’s why we hide the tab bar in the posts view, right?

quote:

I’m kinda fighting here using you as the representative for an app design trend I don’t like, which isn’t super fair.

101 posted:

The labels are essential wasted space after the first 15 seconds imo. Even a few pixels more of threads at least serve some purpose

I don’t think the tab bar would change size if we got rid of the labels.

edit:

Subjunctive posted:

I miss the old pull distance. Depending on how many posts are visible it can now be more than a full swipe with my large thumb on my 6S+.

Did the “only count the pull if the view was already at the bottom” idea have some issue with it?

We haven’t tried it yet.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

I don’t think the tab bar would change size if we got rid of the labels.

Oh. In that case I'm entirely indifferent.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

It would look cleaner and be as functional IMO. If it's not going to happen can we get a kerning fix on those words?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pull up to load next page still feels too difficult

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Tap to play GIFs seem to be acting funky in the beta. Here's a post full of them as an example: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3870242&perpage=40&pagenumber=57#post489532519

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

What about this?

A prison window.

This is p nice imo

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sockser posted:

Perhaps the best compromise is the way that Chrome handles it, where you pull to refresh but you need to hold it for a second

I would caution against this as I've never seen another app do this and google is notorious for rejecting look and feel conventions on iOS and using their own hybrid style with one foot in each grave

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
What was the reason behind sent PMs not being visible in app? Was it "we haven't gotten to it yet" or "SA is a badly designed website?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
While there's a lot of discussion the app going forward here I'd still love an OLED true black mode :angel:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It would look cleaner and be as functional IMO. If it's not going to happen can we get a kerning fix on those words?

Definitely.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Pull up to load next page still feels too difficult

Agreed, it's not quite there yet.

Diabolik900 posted:

Tap to play GIFs seem to be acting funky in the beta. Here's a post full of them as an example: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3870242&perpage=40&pagenumber=57#post489532519

Ooh good find, thanks!

Regular Nintendo posted:

I would caution against this as I've never seen another app do this and google is notorious for rejecting look and feel conventions on iOS and using their own hybrid style with one foot in each grave

Yeah it's not my first choice either, though it's worth pondering.

GenericGirlName posted:

What was the reason behind sent PMs not being visible in app? Was it "we haven't gotten to it yet" or "SA is a badly designed website?

Haven't gotten to it yet. It's been on the list for awhile actually!

101 posted:

While there's a lot of discussion the app going forward here I'd still love an OLED true black mode :angel:

This one kinda fills me with dread because I don't wanna muck with theme stuff without revamping some of the theme stuff, which is a big job. But it's definitely on the list!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

New post view: when advancing to the next page of a thread, I get a black view while things are loaded, then a flash of the old content, then it’s replaced by the new content.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm doing something dumb but I don't know what. Fresh MBP with XCode 10.1 on Mojave, fresh pull from github, and I error out right away with

code:

Showing Recent Messages
:-1: /Users/subjunctive/src/Awful.app/Xcode/Config/Common.xcconfig:4: could not find included file '../Local.xcconfig' in search paths (in target 'Core')

Am I just supposed to create a dummy file?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

I like the "Copy Title" button on thread listings (including the icon!), but could you add some similar functionality when you're already viewing a single thread? Like adding the same "itt..." button within the share thread menu form the bottom-right ⬆️-button -- or take a page from embedded-Safari where a long-press on the disabled URL field opens a "copy" button box. Or both! Both would also be nice 👍

Another request I have is to restore the simple "Open" button when you long-press on a link! It would make it easier to open the right link just in Awful App when it's small and surrounded by other links. I believe the current behavior depends on your Default Browser preference, where "Awful" means the long-press-link menu shows only "Open in Safari", while "Safari" means the long-press-link menu shows only "Open in Awful", but I miss the simple "Open" button that just matches a simple tap on a link behavior using the Default Browser. Like a situation like this, where you want the "#" link:
how the mighty
have fallen
# oh
nooooooooooooooooo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The open-internal button would also help when the app goes numb to link clicks, though that hasn't happened to me much (at all?) since Pokey slayed that memory leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

101 posted:

Since we are talking about requests, I would like to mention having the option for when you start scrolling in a long thread the ui fades away. Similar to how scrolling works in the safari app.