Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's real easy to exceed $2M in damage. I actually don't like how the military lumps that in with fatalities in its statistics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Both the CH-46 and -47 were known as "Boeing Body Bags."

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Did anyone else ever pick up on Tom Clancy's possible "nazi fetish" in some of his books? I was organizing my library and saw my old copy of Rainbow Six and remembered Clancy gushing over his German character being such an absolute unit and looking like an SS recruiting poster. Then that reminded me about Red Storm Rising and how the Germans were holding back the Soviets like it was WWII (OMG they are so brave!) and then there was some other book (one of the later Jack Ryan ones) where it was either Swiss or German soldiers policing Palestine (maybe only Gaza) and it was working so well, and all of these blonde blue-eyed soldiers were so great.

I just seem to remember (maybe incorrectly) that he always jumped at the chance to compare modern German soldiers to their WWII equivalents, but in a positive way.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That whole peace in Israel thing pissed me off so bad because he never explained what the gently caress they did it was just like oh hey here are some vatican gaurds in goofy costumes? IMO worse than the McVeigh wannabes that got built up across 500 pages of Executive Orders and then got busted at a traffic stop without ever interacting with the other characters or the plot at all.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Friendly reminder to keep current politics out of here. D&D and CSPAM are thatway

But... her EMALS!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

shame on an IGA posted:

That whole peace in Israel thing pissed me off so bad because he never explained what the gently caress they did it was just like oh hey here are some vatican gaurds in goofy costumes?

It's been a long time since I've read the book, but as I recall the plan was a neutral third party takes control of the city so neither Jews or Muslims were in charge. Thereby magically solving the problems of Gaza and Jewish settlements in occupied Palestinian Territories.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Blistex posted:

Did anyone else ever pick up on Tom Clancy's possible "nazi fetish" in some of his books? I was organizing my library and saw my old copy of Rainbow Six and remembered Clancy gushing over his German character being such an absolute unit and looking like an SS recruiting poster. Then that reminded me about Red Storm Rising and how the Germans were holding back the Soviets like it was WWII (OMG they are so brave!) and then there was some other book (one of the later Jack Ryan ones) where it was either Swiss or German soldiers policing Palestine (maybe only Gaza) and it was working so well, and all of these blonde blue-eyed soldiers were so great.

I just seem to remember (maybe incorrectly) that he always jumped at the chance to compare modern German soldiers to their WWII equivalents, but in a positive way.

Jerking off over how great Germans were at holding back the communist tide was pretty boiler plate Cold War BS. About half the blame for the clean Wehrmacht poo poo you see can be laid at the feet of rehabilitating the German army for the cold war, and a big part of that was needing to find a not-awful narrative for how SOME Germans were really good at what they did and did good things in the war.

This is the root of where you get all that "they were just fighting against communism for their homeland and didn't get involved with that icky SS death squad poo poo" BS that is the bread and butter of the clean wehrmacht.

It also doesn't hurt that we were taking a LOT of poo poo said by the German generals about their own performance totally uncritically .

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Cyrano4747 posted:

Jerking off over how great Germans were at holding back the communist tide was pretty boiler plate Cold War BS. About half the blame for the clean Wehrmacht poo poo you see can be laid at the feet of rehabilitating the German army for the cold war, and a big part of that was needing to find a not-awful narrative for how SOME Germans were really good at what they did and did good things in the war.

This is the root of where you get all that "they were just fighting against communism for their homeland and didn't get involved with that icky SS death squad poo poo" BS that is the bread and butter of the clean wehrmacht.

It also doesn't hurt that we were taking a LOT of poo poo said by the German generals about their own performance totally uncritically .

Yeah, I know that a lot of the truth about the Wehrmacht came out much later when scholars started digging on their own. Just wondering if anyone picked up on Clancy's possible fetish, or if I'm reading (pun) too much into it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

In Red Storm Rising he definitely mentioned some positives about the German army, but also there was one point where they hosed up and left a town open that didn't get evacuated and most of the civilians got owned by the Russians as a result.

Never really got the vibe that he was shining them up more than anyone else in particular.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

quote:

An Israeli Air Force F-16I Sufa belonging to the 119 Squadron, also known as “The Bat” Squadron, was damaged at Ramon air base, Israel, on Oct. 31.

According to the reports, the aircraft was taxiing after landing when the pilot lost braking action: the pilot deliberately forced the Sufa into a ditch in order to stop it. The emergency maneuver prevented the aircraft from harming ground crews. The aircrew managed to escape the aircraft safely.

The incident is being investigated; the extent of the damage suffered by the aircraft is unknown.
As a side note, the F-16I Sufa was reportedly returning from a training mission. However, based on the only available image, the aircraft seem to carry at least a live GBU-38 JDAM (Joint Direct Attack Munition).
https://theaviationist.com/?p=63101

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Clancy really never had time to suck off wehraboos, what with all the Saudi apolojism he was gargling 24/7

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 3, 2018

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Blistex posted:

Yeah, I know that a lot of the truth about the Wehrmacht came out much later when scholars started digging on their own. Just wondering if anyone picked up on Clancy's possible fetish, or if I'm reading (pun) too much into it.

Yeah, I'm just saying that it's not so much a Clancy thing as a peak Cold Warrior thing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Look at that fatty eating from a trough.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Cyrano4747 posted:

What's really funny is the massive Ossi shaped hole in the canon of the sort of dudes that whack off to Prussian military prowess online. Guess it doesn't count if they're commies.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also, overstating German strength was good for Allied egos.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

For those that want more tales of submarines on fire, Have the CIA's account of the Komsomolets Disaster

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad I stopped the reading the books and watching the movies at "Hunt for Red October"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

howe_sam posted:

It's been a long time since I've read the book, but as I recall the plan was a neutral third party takes control of the city so neither Jews or Muslims were in charge. Thereby magically solving the problems of Gaza and Jewish settlements in occupied Palestinian Territories.

It was a council of three religious leaders representing Judaism, Islam, and Christianity, iirc.

The early Jack Ryan books were solid. The later ones...ugh. 15 year old me loved it all, though.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

It was a council of three religious leaders representing Judaism, Islam, and Christianity, iirc.

Ah, the Lebanon solution, then.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

mlmp08 posted:

Ah, the Lebanon solution, then.

I was thinking Van Halen.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

I'm glad I stopped the reading the books and watching the movies at "Hunt for Red October"

There was the *potential* for a good movie in "Sum of All Fears," but they hosed it up. Great cast, completely wasted because Affleck tried to 'overplay' Jack Ryan in the hopes of scoring a franchise. Oh well, there's always watching the scene where Baltimore gets nuked over and over and over again. :v:

And Clancy's slavish devotion to Gary Stu-ing Jack Ryan is nothing compared to Stephen Coonts' love affair with Jake Grafton. I didn't bother reading any more after "The Intruders."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There was the *potential* for a good movie in "Sum of All Fears," but they hosed it up. Great cast, completely wasted because Affleck tried to 'overplay' Jack Ryan in the hopes of scoring a franchise. Oh well, there's always watching the scene where Baltimore gets nuked over and over and over again. :v:

And Clancy's slavish devotion to Gary Stu-ing Jack Ryan is nothing compared to Stephen Coonts' love affair with Jake Grafton. I didn't bother reading any more after "The Intruders."

Here you go, the only 3 minutes of that movie worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT-xXoIAAnM

It's also a great little time capsule. Flip phones and cigarette machines.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Here you go, the only 3 minutes of that movie worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT-xXoIAAnM

It's also a great little time capsule. Flip phones and cigarette machines.

There's an interesting fuckup in that scene, too - you see the flash of the detonation from the weapon on the television screen showing the game *before* you see the flash and blast wave blow in the window in the hospital. Pretty sure the transmission delay (stadium > national network > affiliate stations) would have added at least two seconds to 'being nearby,' so seeing the flash first on the television is :wrong:.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There's an interesting fuckup in that scene, too - you see the flash of the detonation from the weapon on the television screen showing the game *before* you see the flash and blast wave blow in the window in the hospital. Pretty sure the transmission delay (stadium > national network > affiliate stations) would have added at least two seconds to 'being nearby,' so seeing the flash first on the television is :wrong:.

Hah poo poo you're right. I never noticed that.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I remember watching the Sum of All Fears and thinking it's a good movie if you cut out all the Jack Ryan bits, like lets cut away from this political standoff so Ben Afflick can fight in a dripping chain warehouse

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

I remember watching the Sum of All Fears and thinking it's a good movie if you cut out all the Jack Ryan bits, like lets cut away from this political standoff so Ben Afflick can fight in a dripping chain warehouse

Liev Schrieber's character deserved more screen time than he got.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I always wanted a Red Storm Rising movie that did the combat scenes well but you just know we’d get something like Pearl Harbor w/r/t the plot. No thanks.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 4, 2018

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Clancey hated you if you were Asian. I was basically reading The Bear and the Dragon just to hate it after about the third way point.

I think House of Cards did something similar as well for the I-P conflict, had the Russians and Americans take turns peace keeping the Golan Heights.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mazz posted:

I always wanted a Red Storm Rising movie that did the combat scenes well but you just know we’d get something like Pearl Harbor w/r/t the plot. No thanks.

Hey, don't you want to see how Major Nakamura gets left for dead only for her to show up again fighting the Russians in Siberia only now instead of a fighter jet she's flying a b-52?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

Clancey hated you if you were Asian. I was basically reading The Bear and the Dragon just to hate it after about the third way point.

My first and last Time Clancy book was Debt of Honor. I got about halfway through it before the Japanese caricatures got too much for me.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

off topic but here are two F-16's taking off at Trident Juncture

and and RBS 70 engaging an Ah-64D at Trident Juncture

Tythas fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 4, 2018

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Everything after Cardinal is pretty much crap.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

man it takes some big balls to shoot a beam rider at an attack helo

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Murgos posted:

Everything after Cardinal is pretty much crap.

Yeah, and it went downhill fast. I remember reading Red October and Red Storm Rising a bunch at like 8 years old. When I was 12 I read Debt of Honor at my grandparent's place and thought it was utter garbage and couldn't believe it was the same author. Then again Red Storm Rising had the "romance" bit in Iceland and that already felt kinda creepy.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Clear and present danger slaps actually

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Don Gato posted:

My first and last Time Clancy book was Debt of Honor. I got about halfway through it before the Japanese caricatures got too much for me.

Nice job picking the absolute worst one.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Godholio posted:

Nice job picking the absolute worst one.

Every single one after it was worse than the last

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bewbies posted:

man it takes some big balls to shoot a beam rider at an attack helo
I can only imagine they carry at least some type of LWR so yeah gently caress that noise.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nebakenezzer posted:

For those that want more tales of submarines on fire, Have the CIA's account of the Komsomolets Disaster

My favorite part was when CO from the fire got into the emergency breathing air supply system, which you’re supposed to use when there’s a fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
The one with iran invading iraq and making hyper ebola was the worst i had read but the whole spicy japanese sausage stuff in bear and the dragon put it within easy spitting distance