Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

U-DO Burger posted:

wasn't tom the guy who got pissed off when xseed removed the phrase KKK from one of their games?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

U-DO Burger posted:

wasn't tom the guy who got pissed off when xseed removed the phrase KKK from one of their games?

Yes. He considered the change a form of censorship, when Acquire, the company that made Akiba's Beat, was totally chill with changing it upon being told why it was an issue.

He was willing to die so hard on that hill that I think that's the game that led to his name being removed from all future XSEED titles he worked on, per company policy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh god the subject has broken out of quarantine! He’s headed for Japan!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1055917918695895041?s=19

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It looks like Senran Kagura Bon Appetit was actually delayed by the new policy but the game made it through without any changes.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

XSeed losing their translators doesn't bode well for the localization of Trails of Cold Steel's last two chapters. Like, at all.

I'm gonna be so legit pissed off if there's no localization or if NISA gets the job. Knock on wood.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

So there are four chapters to Trails of Cold Steel? I kinda want to see the conclusion to these games.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TV Zombie posted:

So there are four chapters to Trails of Cold Steel? I kinda want to see the conclusion to these games.

Cold Steel happens after Trails in the Sky and concurrently with the Crosbell series that has never been localized.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah there's 4 games, the last 2 are PS4-exclusive and have been rumored to be in NISA's court for a little while now. It's going to really suck when NISA gets those...

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'm knocking the wood pretty hard, man. And I try to buy every Falcom game XSeed does. What more do they want from me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

oof that would seriously suck. wasn't it nisa that botched the ys 8 translation?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

oof that would seriously suck. wasn't it nisa that botched the ys 8 translation?

Yep. Nisa is gonna get the cold steel games, crossbell will never be localized, and i'm gonna wish I never got into the series in the first place

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You could probably learn japanese before those games get translated

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked the xseed localizations tho

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

So NIS is slow...or incorrect with their translations?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

Yes.

Let me put it this way: They have had to, on multiple occasions, apologize for the low quality of their translations or the bugs they introduced in transaltion.

One of these is English, one Japanese:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/Rucean/status/902448859183501312

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'm so glad Caligula Overdose got a release in Asia from that H2 Interactive so I can still get it without paying NISA.

ImpAtom posted:

Let me put it this way: They have had to, on multiple occasions, apologize for the low quality of their translations or the bugs they introduced in transaltion.

I laughed reading this because I remembered the Euro localization of PS3's Agarest War 1 where Ghostlight apologized over the declining quality in it and cited that they didn't have the level of talent that companies like Aksys and NISA had. That was like 10 years ago lol

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Wait what's this about XSeed losing their translators?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Brittany Avery, the woman at XSeed who had encyclopedic knowledge of the Trails series and was the driving force behind the localization team, has left the company.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Wait what's this about XSeed losing their translators?

Sony required Xseed to remove a boob groping mode from their newest Senran Kagura game at the 11th hour. A week later they let go Brittany and Tom (who was the one that didn't like removing content) supposedly left on his own.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
They probably operate on razor-thin profit margins like any game industry company that isn't the huge AAA publishers, so they had to go through redundancies as a result of the delay impacting their financials.

They still have translators, though, they just lost Brittany (the Trails megafan) and Tom (the creepy idiot who decided it was vitally important to defend using the acronym KKK in English).

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TV Zombie posted:

One of my favourite examples of NISA being awful localisers was their handling of the DS port of Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure. It's been a while so here's the detailed version.

Originally released on the ps1 in the late 90's, Rhapsody was an early precurser to the Disgaea games wherein the story was told via musical numbers. At the time NIS didn't do localisations so they handed it to Atlus. Atlus went all out and decided to do an English dub of these songs that was loved by the fanbase. While the game didn't do well enough to justify localising the sequel it gained a cult following as most Atlus games were want to do.

In 2008 the game got an updated rerelease on the DS with a bunch of new content, the most notable being 2 extra side stories previously released on PS2. Shortly thereafter NIS, who had since started localising their own properties under NISA, announced that they would be bringing it over to the US. However, they also noted that the game would not feature the English dub.

While fans were disapointed, NISA stated that this was because they were also going to translate the bonus chapters included in the Japanese release and that it was just not possible to fit the English dub into a ds cartrige while also including these new chapters.

So time passes and NISA advertises this release hard in their newsletters. The main selling point is this new content they're bringing over for the first time. People start getting excited. Sure the lack of a dub was a shame but people were excited to finally get new content from this long forgotten part of their catalogue. True their localising is rough but this isn't a third party release. It's the precurser to their most beloved series. Surely they'll treat it right?

Come release day and this new content is nowhere to be seen. Initially it's assumed to be a bug stopping the content from triggering. Eventually people dive into the US rom and find the content is just not there. After promoting this new content for months NIS released the game with no new content and missing the beloved English Dub.

Adding insult to injury a large number of the cartriges were a nigh unplayable buggy mess and would crash, have text display errors and frequently delete the save file. While many theorised these bugs were introduced by NISA removing parts of the original code this has never been confirmed.

As all of this is going on NISA says nothing. Several weeks later NISA makes a statement in their newsletter wherein they explain that the content was removed from the US release "due to localisation issues". That was it. No other explanation, no apology for lying about content that wasn't there or for selling a broken product.

So yeah, NISA has eaned its poor reputation as a localiser. When this is how they treat their own IP you can imagine how people get worried about any third party IP they get their hands on.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I wish the "NISA is going to get Cold Steel!!!!" narrative would gently caress right off.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There is no way in hell NISA gets the Trails series after how completely they screwed the pooch on Ys 8.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

otoh I think the NIS and Falcom heads are buds

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Which is part of the reason they got Ys 8, but then they failed on all the promises they explicitly made for the release.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Archaezoic Big Hole

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

In Training posted:

Archaezoic Big Hole

pls do not post my fetlife screen name

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Really Pants posted:

Which is part of the reason they got Ys 8, but then they failed on all the promises they explicitly made for the release.

Let me be clear: I don't truly believe NISA will get ToCS. But I am a man who has come to expect the worst out of any timeline, so I'm pretty much a victim of my own paranoia here.

Brittany leaving is just a big ol' gut punch.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Nyeehg posted:

One of my favourite examples of NISA being awful localisers was their handling of the DS port of Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure. It's been a while so here's the detailed version...

And then a few months later, the mess known as the english version of Ar tonelico 2 was released.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

KariOhki posted:

And then a few months later, the mess known as the english version of Ar tonelico 2 was released.

Yeah in terms of bugs that one was arguably worse. The Pal version I had crashed if you played it for over an hour, making it literally unplayable.

The reason Rhapsody stuck with me was because it was one of their own IPs. That and how hard NISA pushed the narrative of "get hyped because we're bringing this new content" only to just not do it and hope no one noticed.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

NISA wouldn't touch the Trails series with a 10ft pole. They're extrodinarily lazy and half-rear end everything to make a quick buck. They got Ys VIII because it'd be fairly easy to translate (even though they botched it hard) and promised a simultaneous PC port. Cold Steel 3 and 4 have a ridiculous amount of text that even if they did a borderline machine translation to the game script and incite the wrath of Falcom fans again, it'd still be considered too much effort for them.

Having said that, I'm not confident XSEED has the rights to Cold Steel 3 and 4 anymore either. Akiba's Beat crashing and burning followed by Sony's new policy changes which meant XSEED had to do a very costly last minute change to their latest entry in their main cash making franchise are precisely the kind of things that will lead to employee layoffs and losing bids for future Falcom games.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MatPiscatella/status/1058748317146865664

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What the hell is Unit 13.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

In Training posted:

What the hell is Unit 13.

A Sony-published third person shooter from around launch. It wasn't...very good.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Kinda boring list, I was expecting st least one anime boob game to be on there as a punchline

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Wasn't Marvel vs Capcom recalled..or wasn't production stopped for it?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

Wasn't Marvel vs Capcom recalled..or wasn't production stopped for it?

I believe the contract ran out on it and it was pulled during one of Marvel's fits where they tried to make Marvel video games fall in line with their MCU. It eventually came back on modern platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I'm sad about Brittany because she always went to incredible lengths to actually localize text. She really did put a lot of effort into making characters sound different and alive.

I hope someone else rehires her soon.