Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ed balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Space reporter van exists because of EVE. People steam major battles all the time and that's where the idea came from

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/LeonardSkinly/status/1058858326174384130

Good ol' Leonard.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

By criminals he definitely means non white people right??

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MarcusSA posted:

By criminals he definitely means non white people right??

Since they're wonton criminals, I can only assume that it's people who don't properly press the air out of their dumplings.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

DA: I's legacy is pretty mixed as well. Nobody seems to remember ever liking it. I agree that things look grim for Bioware.

I was rather fond of Inquisition actually. But yeah, I'm expecting this new project to flop, and basically shutter the studio.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
wrong thread!

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
wrong thread!

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

post balls for forgiveness

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

* None of this exists, and none of this is planned.

They are creating a living, breathing theorycraft world.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Amazing Zimmo posted:

post balls for forgiveness

ok

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

I remember once upon a time you could build a fire that fit perfectly in the doorway of the auctionhouse at Stormwind, denying people the ability to enter or exit. At the time it was a really funny way to piss everyone off, but honestly it doesn't hold a candle to killing Miles "Seven Jackets" Prower on day one lol

If Star Citizen ever releases, the following will likely happen within the first week:
- Goons will kill all the NPCs.
- Goons will crash ships on all the landing pads so no one else can spawn a ship.
- Goons will buy up all the ammo and medipens from the station stores so no commandos can access them.
- Goons will fill up ships with cargo and then dump it all over the physics grids, causing the servers to fall over and crash.
- Goons will find ways to make the Face over IP system show the most immersion breaking faces possible, all the time, while making parp sounds over the VoIP system.
- Goons will hunt B'tak through every station corridor and over every planet.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Hail Erin Eris!

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Mr Fronts posted:

* None of this exists, and none of this is planned.

They are creating a living, breathing theorycraft world.

And the backers are probably happy with it. SC gets scrapped or released as a buggy tech demo? No problem, I had so much fun theorycrafting, that was worth the thousands of dollars.

There are times when I think that the SC crowd would be better off with a good Sci-Fi book or a decent D&D party, theorycrafting there is much less expensive and probably more fun....

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
B'tak infuriates me so much that I would actually buy a PC and a copy of this lovely game, if it ever came out, just to grief him.

I hate mealy-mouthed "nice" people.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
To pick up on the industry talk, I think it's pretty much a given that games have to get smaller. Forget PS3, I'd be thrilled with a PS2-quality game done right. Or a pixel art DIY project that was small and cost a few dollars, as long as it gave me a bit of solid gameplay. I like to dabble, a lot.

Music in the 19th century was a mix of elitist orchestral and at-home hobbyist. Pop music emerged to fill in the gap..smaller songs, simpler and more modest, but somehow more fun in their own way. And the genres were/are accessible with practice and a creative mind. The same thing has to happen with gaming.

I mean, I think we sort of had it in the 80s and part of the 90s, at least in the PC market. But development then was still something of an alchemic art. With modern tools things are much simpler -- again, practice and effort is needed to make something good, but the payoff ceiling is much, much lower.

I think it will happen. The gaming public has to mature a bit -- people have to want to contribute and make their own stuff. Like with pop music, a whole ecosystem of home strummers, garage bands, local talents, touring groups, and superstars has to emerge. But I'm optimistic we'll get there.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

I think one of the things that makes me really see how much Citizen's are not thinking things through to their logical conclusions are posts like the first post in the picture. Like... if they don't get good frame rates in Levski AFTER the implementation of all the big things they were saying were going to fix all the frame rate problems... how in the hell are they expecting to ever get remotely playable frame rates in the city planet?

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Okay, my mania is acting up again, someone tell me if the B-man is actually talking some sense here. Because I think he is, thus I fear for my current mental state.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Okay, my mania is acting up again, someone tell me if the B-man is actually talking some sense here. Because I think he is, thus I fear for my current mental state.

No, his remarks on balance are pretty reasonable. If you found yourself admiring his capitalization habits, though, it's time to go have a nap or something

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

To pick up on the industry talk, I think it's pretty much a given that games have to get smaller. Forget PS3, I'd be thrilled with a PS2-quality game done right. Or a pixel art DIY project that was small and cost a few dollars, as long as it gave me a bit of solid gameplay. I like to dabble, a lot.

Music in the 19th century was a mix of elitist orchestral and at-home hobbyist. Pop music emerged to fill in the gap..smaller songs, simpler and more modest, but somehow more fun in their own way. And the genres were/are accessible with practice and a creative mind. The same thing has to happen with gaming.

I mean, I think we sort of had it in the 80s and part of the 90s, at least in the PC market. But development then was still something of an alchemic art. With modern tools things are much simpler -- again, practice and effort is needed to make something good, but the payoff ceiling is much, much lower.

I think it will happen. The gaming public has to mature a bit -- people have to want to contribute and make their own stuff. Like with pop music, a whole ecosystem of home strummers, garage bands, local talents, touring groups, and superstars has to emerge. But I'm optimistic we'll get there.

Ugh, gaming has never been better or more diverse than right now. When's the last time you actually played a pc game?

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

starkebn posted:

Ugh, gaming has never been better or more diverse than right now. When's the last time you actually played a pc game?

PC gaming is great! I've been defending it for pages (seriously, look back). I'm just picking up on the very sound observations people are making about the state of the industry at its highest levels.

And the indie scene is still tough on developers these days in terms of work hours/profit ratio. The industry needs some changes, and I think this is how it moves forward.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Foo Diddley posted:

No, his remarks on balance are pretty reasonable. If you found yourself admiring his capitalization habits, though, it's time to go have a nap or something

His posts do read like experimental poetry. I find myself stopping and starting in odd places and sort of enjoying the ride.

Time for a nap.

Kephael
Apr 2, 2016

starkebn posted:

Gaming is now largely trash with games catered to the lowest common denominator. I am currently only interested in MechWarrior 5 and Cyberpunk 2077.

PC gaming is great! I've been defending it for pages (seriously, look back). I'm just picking up on the very sound observations people are making about the state of the industry at its highest levels.

And the indie scene is still tough on developers these days in terms of work hours/profit ratio. The industry needs some changes, and I think this is how it moves forward.

99% of the time indie games are shovel-ware trash.

Kephael fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 4, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sure, but your post went on about playing a "PS2 quality game" if it was done right and "gaming needs to mature for contributions" and its like... were there already?

Just look at everything on Steam or other platforms. Devolvee Digital with some breakout hits is a great example of a good publisher and good games in their line-up, or GoG.com bringing back classic games.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kephael posted:

Gaming is now largely trash with games catered to the lowest common denominator. I am currently only interested in MechWarrior 5 and Cyberpunk 2077.

Ok but what do you currently play?

And does the fact that you're only interested in two upcoming games speak more about yourself and your tastes or the gaming market at large?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

:siren: STOLEN WHITE AMERICAN NATIONALIST VALOR :siren:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Like... drat ive got 40+ games on my steam wishlist and up to half night already be release but theres still a good number of games on the horizon nonetheless!

Ace Combat's coming to PC soon, Hitman 2 is a week away, Battlefield 5 is with a month, Darksiders 3 is hitting shelves this month(?), indie stuff lile UBOOT might eventually release before 2019, and I'm still working my way through games like Valkyria Chronicles 4, Soul Calibur 6, the new naval update to War Thunder, and polishing my gear for Warframe's Fortuna update.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Oh, right, and Just Cause 4 is out in december and theres a Total War set in China next year and theres plenty of indie titles that ive forgotten or havent searched for.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Options are out there my dudes, go enjoy games, or donate money so I can quit my job and finish my drat backlog.

Kephael
Apr 2, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ok but what do you currently play?

And does the fact that you're only interested in two upcoming games speak more about yourself and your tastes or the gaming market at large?

The last game I played for more than just a couple of hours was Battletech six months ago, the "serious" gaming market at large is full of children and people living in their parents basement.

I have many friends that feel the same way, most of the AAA games lack depth and are uninspiring.

Kephael fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 4, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kephael posted:

The last game I played for more than just a couple of hours was Battletech six month ago, the "serious" gaming market at large is full of children and people living in their parents basement.

I have many friends that feel the same way, most of the AAA games lack depth and are uninspiring.

Ok but Battletech is easily a 10-hour game on the singleplayer. What cause you to stop?

What genres do you like? What hooks you into a game's world or mechanics?

Like, if you can't enjoy poo poo like strapping a dude to an explosive canister and sending both into space until it detonates, I can only say you're at fault here.

Kephael
Apr 2, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ok but Battletech is easily a 10-hour game on the singleplayer. What cause you to stop?

What genres do you like? What hooks you into a game's world or mechanics?

Like, if you can't enjoy poo poo like strapping a dude to an explosive canister and sending both into space until it detonates, I can only say you're at fault here.

I put in over thirty hours on Battletech, but I have been busy with other things in life. I like RTS and strategy (combined FPS/RTS especially - but that is largely a dead genre). I find modern FPS games such as Battlefield and Call of Duty feel repetitive and churned out.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Options are out there my dudes, go enjoy games, or donate money so I can quit my job and finish my drat backlog.

Kephael posted:

The last game I played for more than just a couple of hours was Battletech six month ago, the "serious" gaming market at large is full of children and people living in their parents basement.

I'm kind of in the middle of this debate. I don't think we live in the dark gaming dystopian future, but I also don't believe the indiesphere is driving unprecedented variety and innovation (its full of shovleware, nostalgia exploitation and pretentious walking simulators). I think we are in a much better place than even a few years ago when every publisher was shamelessly chasing COD, and arbitrarily declaring entire genres to be "dead"; and we now a plethora of great single player games to choose from.

But... Games haven't really advanced mechanically since the early to mid 2000's. Everything we've been playing since then is a derivative of a few genre's that were firmly established back then.

Look at open world games. The bar for them was set by Oblivion in 2006. Now I know you forum dads will say "but...but... Morrowind!!", however I'm going to stick to my guns and say Oblivion marked the point at which a 3D engine could really do an open world justice and make it feel like a real living place (especially with the radiant AI). Since then the entire genre has just been running in circles, from Bethesda moving backwards in almost everything other than graphics with each release, to Ubisoft churning out empty repetitive sandboxes until its recent course change. The genre hasn't advanced in any fundamental way, the open world is still mainly a static backdrop for linear missions and has almost no response to your actions.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I have stockhold syndrome for playing boring dull uninspired lowest common denominator churned out FPS garbage like Team Fortress 2, Natural Selection 2, Titanfall 1 and 2, Destiny 2, Overwatch, Metro 1 and 2, Hard Reset, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, and umm probably others. Nothing but iron sights down an AK and .02s TTK with garbage respawns ever since call of dookies came out and ruined gaming. (Maybe you just don't like FPS games any more, which is totes fine.)

Brb pledging to Star Citizen, I hear it'll save PC gaming

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 4, 2018

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

White american nationalist? He could have just said he was racist and be done with it.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

colonelwest posted:

I'm kind of in the middle of this debate. I don't think we live in the dark gaming dystopian future, but I also don't believe the indiesphere is driving unprecedented variety and innovation (its full of shovleware, nostalgia exploitation and pretentious walking simulators). I think we are in a much better place than even a few years ago when every publisher was shamelessly chasing COD, and arbitrarily declaring entire genres to be "dead"; and we now a plethora of great single player games to choose from.

But... Games haven't really advanced mechanically since the early to mid 2000's. Everything we've been playing since then is a derivative of a few genre's that were firmly established back then.

Look at open world games. The bar for them was set by Oblivion in 2006. Now I know you forum dads will say "but...but... Morrowind!!", however I'm going to stick to my guns and say Oblivion marked the point at which a 3D engine could really do an open world justice and make it feel like a real living place (especially with the radiant AI). Since then the entire genre has just been running in circles, from Bethesda moving backwards in almost everything other than graphics with each release, to Ubisoft churning out empty repetitive sandboxes until its recent course change. The genre hasn't advanced in any fundamental way, the open world is still mainly a static backdrop for linear missions and has almost no response to your actions.

Oblivion was the worst Elder Scrolls game. :colbert:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

Because open world games have evolved in different directions and you're only looking for the ones that aim for that whole "real living place with meaningful player actions" thing. Meanwhile, you have stuff like Spider-Man and Spider-Link doing their thing in their open world games and people having a shitload of fun with them.

And if you think those games do not offer more advanced mechanics than goddamn Oblivion of all things then welp.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 4, 2018

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I teach robotics classes to kids, where they build robots out of LEGO and use a basic drag and drop programming thing to get their robots to do things. It's pretty cool and fun. One of my favorite things is when the kids decide they're going to have their robots race or battle. Sometimes they spend a whole class customizing their robots for these events.

How does this tie in to Stor Citizen?

My absolute favorite part is what happens when the kids actually have their robots next to each other and are about to start. This is when they begin to legislate. Since they all put all this time and effort into their robot, they obviously want it to be the best. So they come up with these incredibly elaborate rules, often disagreeing and regularly taking a comically long time to do so. They envision grand battles with their cool weapons and epic races.

What ends up happening is two LEGO cars slowly bump into each other while they scream. Then both sides declare victory or demand that the rules be changed.

Right now, SC appears to be somewhere in that first phase, where everyone imagines these cool scenarios and fun times to be had. However, unlike my students, they also have a clear indication as to where it's going, as the actual game is pretty much the same as a pair of LEGO cars slowly bumping into each other. Only when JPEGs bump into things the entire game crashes and you have to sit at a loving loading screen for 10 minutes.

Citizens are functioning at roughly the same level as 2nd graders.

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Pash posted:

I think one of the things that makes me really see how much Citizen's are not thinking things through to their logical conclusions are posts like the first post in the picture. Like... if they don't get good frame rates in Levski AFTER the implementation of all the big things they were saying were going to fix all the frame rate problems... how in the hell are they expecting to ever get remotely playable frame rates in the city planet?

Everyone knows now that's why Hurston is taking so long.

Man, I'm as excited as the citizens for Hurston, when their precious frames drop back to < 20 and it's time for another beatdown from Mr Reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

colonelwest posted:

Look at open world games. The bar for them was set by Oblivion in 2006. Now I know you forum dads will say "but...but... Morrowind!!", however I'm going to stick to my guns and say Oblivion marked the point at which a 3D engine could really do an open world justice and make it feel like a real living place (especially with the radiant AI).
As a Forum Dad I'm going to say that Oblivion did not feel especially different to Morrowind, which itself was textually interesting but wasn't that much different in core to Daggerfall which again, was a jump up graphically from Arena but was still basically the same game. Maybe having played all the previous games (TRUE FAN) makes me more jaded, but outside of Todd "NPCs will murder each other and prevent you finishing the game" Howard's hype, Radiant AI was theoretically impressive but didn't actually deliver anything that wasn't already being done by randomised villagers walking about the towns in Arena/Daggerfall or was more impressive than a pathing script applied to a Morrowind NPC. Even Skyrim's AI years later is janky as gently caress and visibly held together by wires jerking it from dialogue with the PC to "A DRAGON!!"

None of the touted Radiant AI stuff made any difference in game except for the part where you'd have to hunt down NPCs across town to talk to them because it was currently the hour where they have to walk through the garden for some reason. The previous games felt better because, just like in a real city, there would be more people walking around on the streets because they didn't all have to have unique looks and names and backstories, and they weren't wholly tailored for you to be the most important thing in their life besides walking in the garden starting at 1400.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 4, 2018