Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

T-man posted:

Makes you think,

It says a lot about both of them really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

nine-gear crow posted:

Their last real vestige is the Washington Times (still known colloquially as the Moonie Times), the right-wing crank newspaper based out of DC that tries to confuse people into thinking it's the Washington Post and was founded and owned by Sun Myung Moon himself.

Other vestiges include almost any organization/business that includes two or more of the words "True", "Family", "World", or "Peace". Notably, True World Foods is ultimately owned by the Unification Church and supplies basically all fish to restaurants (especially sushi restaurants) except the top echelon and rock bottom.

Fun fact for New Yorkers: If you've been to a show in the Hammerstein since the 80's, guess who owns it?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ironically Moonies are apparently huge in South Korea, which is apparently where Pink Diamond 'died'.

Blue Diamond does kinda have a Mother Superior thing going on, she's Catholic as all hell. But I don't think Gems can get drunk without the proper preparations. Pearl did try.

Just because she's Irish! A lot of us are only pretend Catholic nowadays.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

edgeman83 posted:

I wonder how far in advance they were planning the movie? It might be giving the scheduling department too much credit, but they could be banking episodes so they could have a normal schedule for a while leading up to it.

Also, I was listening to Drawn: The Story of Animation podcast at work today and caught a snippet of an upcoming Lapis song.. It took me a minute to realize "Hey, I haven't heard that before!" and listen closer.

Which episode of the podcast?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cavelcade posted:

Just because she's Irish! A lot of us are only pretend Catholic nowadays.

In a way there's nothing more Catholic than that. Except maybe being goth.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You never stop being Catholic. It's like alcoholism. You're a recovering Catholic for the rest of your life.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

You never stop being Catholic. It's like alcoholism. You're a recovering Catholic for the rest of your life.

It's true. I don't believe in God but just a few nights back I prayed in my dreams because I was in bed going to sleep and that's what I was supposed to do.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In a way there's nothing more Catholic than that. Except maybe being goth.

You've just managed to alienate all Italians!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that...

I only learned of this cult due to the My Favorite Murder podcast.

I'm really surprised, to me they're incredibly famous just because of the group marriage stuff. Maybe it's an age thing, like if you were born a bit later than around 1994 they've probably not been in the news.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Samovar posted:

You've just managed to alienate all Italians!

And that's really Peter Pizzapopolis' job.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Steven universe premiered five years ago today.

Five years, coincidentally enough, is how long it's going to take for a new episode to air.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Steven universe premiered five years ago today.

Five years, coincidentally enough, is how long it's going to take for a new episode to air.

It was pretty good watching 5000 gumballs until episode 2 airs.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm sure someone way smarter than me could figure out if SU has had a more regular schedule than the Venture Bros.

VB may have longer waits, but at least we get a full season that's a full story arc.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
dead show

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

twistedmentat posted:

I'm sure someone way smarter than me could figure out if SU has had a more regular schedule than the Venture Bros.

VB may have longer waits, but at least we get a full season that's a full story arc.

Venture Bros has had a hard time getting its voice cast scheduled and making episodes. With SU they have no problem making eps, it's all the network.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

twistedmentat posted:

Well, because I'm an insane person, I looked at the numbers. The long and the short of it is yes—when Venture Brothers is airing, it's actually very consistent, with the vast majority of episodes airing weekly, and the only major hiatus occurring during Season 4 (With the first half of the season finishing in December '09 and the second half picking up in September '010). Basically, once the season starts airing, on average you're only going to wait a hair over 10 days between episodes. (With an average wait time of about two years between seasons, and a total average of about 63 days between individual episodes).

Steven Universe, as we all know, is much more volatile, either airing episodes in bombs or not airing them at all. What's funny is that this has actually averaged out over the show's life to have a similar wait between episodes in a season to VB, rocketing through the extremes of airing an episode every three and a half days in Season 3 to Season 5's 17. Also, the seasons very rarely actually matter for scheduling, so the time between seasons is 'only' 36 days, bringing the total average wait time between episodes to a hair over 11 days per.

So basically, while in paper Steven Universe isn't nearly as bad as Venture Brothers, it's got a much bigger boom/bust cycle that makes it feel like it is.

...Though if you really wanted to make SU's scheduling look bad, you could halve SU's episode count (To account for the fact that SU episodes are 11 minutes versus VB's 22) to more fully contrast the amount of content that's actually being delivered when episodes do air)

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 5, 2018

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eventually we will reach a point where they will air only a five second gif once per year and people will still make hours long analysis videos on youtube.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TheChirurgeon posted:

Venture Bros has had a hard time getting its voice cast scheduled and making episodes. With SU they have no problem making eps, it's all the network.

It's also written by just two guys.

It's really not fair to compare the two shows:

Venture Brothers has long gaps between seasons because it's essentially an auteur project created by a small crew and the people who make it spend a lot of time getting everything exactly the way they want it, which Adult Swim allows because they trust the creators to ultimately deliver a quality product (which they do).

Meanwhile, Steven Universe has a much larger staff and more writers and stroyboarders which means they're able to create episodes more quickly. Cartoon Network then refuses to air these episodes because (fart sound).

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I could probably continue the series with a website like GoAnimate and some text to speech generators. The plot probably won't go the way you're all expecting but it's something.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I could probably continue the series with a website like GoAnimate and some text to speech generators. The plot probably won't go the way you're all expecting but it's something.

That pretty much is happening on Tumblr and AO3, and it's not going the way we're all expecting there either.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Whiz Palace posted:

That pretty much is happening on Tumblr and AO3, and it's not going the way we're all expecting there either.

I'm pretty sure that in any point in time at least 50 different fanfics of SU are being written, so I'm sure if you look you can find one that is going where you were expecting

https://twitter.com/fanfiction_txt/status/593478516156530688

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

It's also written by just two guys.

It's really not fair to compare the two shows:

Venture Brothers has long gaps between seasons because it's essentially an auteur project created by a small crew and the people who make it spend a lot of time getting everything exactly the way they want it, which Adult Swim allows because they trust the creators to ultimately deliver a quality product (which they do).

Meanwhile, Steven Universe has a much larger staff and more writers and stroyboarders which means they're able to create episodes more quickly. Cartoon Network then refuses to air these episodes because (fart sound).

That was beside the point I was trying to make, I was just curious about the conditions of both shows broadcast, ignoring the behind the scenes stuff. Both shows are seen as "that show that doesn't come out that often".

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

twistedmentat posted:

That was beside the point I was trying to make, I was just curious about the conditions of both shows broadcast, ignoring the behind the scenes stuff. Both shows are seen as "that show that doesn't come out that often".

No, I gottcha. I was just kinda building off of what had already been said as an excuse to both complain about Cartoon Network while also complimenting Adult Swim.

I just really like Adult Swim, most of my favorite shows come from there or have been given more exposure thanks to them. They're always trying new things and doing cool weird stuff, I got nothing but love for those guys.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Suddenly the joke/story of someone in Ireland claiming to be an atheist being asked "Yeah, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?" makes a lot more sense. (and is even funnier)

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Save the Light? More like Break the Light, holy shoot. This game is buggier than a Bethesda game. Fun, otherwise.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeruel posted:

Save the Light? More like Break the Light, holy shoot. This game is buggier than a Bethesda game. Fun, otherwise.

I've been thinking about getting StL, but hearing stuff like this is making me hesitate. When you say "buggy" do you mean annoying but ultimately harmless bugs, or "my 6 hour save file is permanently hosed"?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Fortunately the game saves often, but an example is that I got a key to open a door, and in the process of opening that door, an enemy hit me starting the combat sequence.

For whatever reason I was able to move freely, but the camera was locked to the combat area, plus I was unable to attack. I could pause the game, so all I had to do was restart that section.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

TrilliontonNixon posted:

I've been thinking about getting StL, but hearing stuff like this is making me hesitate. When you say "buggy" do you mean annoying but ultimately harmless bugs, or "my 6 hour save file is permanently hosed"?

The game locks up a lot back when I played. Basically you lose 10 minutes of progress. It is not too bad.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Subsequent patches have made it a much more pleasant experience. Still no sign of DLC Lapis, though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
How does the Switch version compare to the PS4 version in terms of reliability?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

I haven't played the PS4 version, but my anecdotal evidence: there'll be times where I need to restart the game multiple times because a character I switch to can't jump, or I can't access Steven's bag. The load times can be a bit rough too, but I really enjoy playing my switch as basically a bigger game boy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I played a ton of the Ps4 version and never had a lockup or crash. Weird.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Delta Rune, the free demo for the new Under Tale game that you don't need to play Undertale for, basically has something resembling Jasperdemption as one of its main plot lines.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

welp, i've had the game soft lock 3 times on (presumably) the final boss.

I wonder if I can get a refund for it?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This is probably nothing, but I figured I would share it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/SULeaks/comments/9wk0yd/cn_latin_and_brazil_streams_suggests_new_content/?st=JOF2KTSW&sh=66af570d

A new episode may be airing in Latin America in a few hours. It wouldn't be the first time a new episode has aired in a foreign country first before airing in America, so even though it seems unlikely it's not totally unprecedented.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

This is probably nothing, but I figured I would share it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/SULeaks/comments/9wk0yd/cn_latin_and_brazil_streams_suggests_new_content/?st=JOF2KTSW&sh=66af570d

A new episode may be airing in Latin America in a few hours. It wouldn't be the first time a new episode has aired in a foreign country first before airing in America, so even though it seems unlikely it's not totally unprecedented.

That'd be amazing. Well as long as it was in English, I guess.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

subs not dubs

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The wording makes it sound like they're marathon showing seasons 2,3, and part of 4. Which sounds like a fine weekend and all, but I'm not sure how new episodes are getting read into that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
The promo does end with "discover things you've never seen before", but that could easily be Legs since it hasn't aired in Latin America yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

T-man posted:

subs not dubs

We spend so long arguing about subs and dubs that we lose sight of the big picture man!