Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lpzie posted:

i still don't really get it. that diagram to explain it made it worse. like, does the cloned version of him just stand there the whole time? that is a dead give away that somethings up after you see it once. battles become this dude not moving vs you in full defense mode waiting for him to come out of it. feel like killua's electricity can deal with it pretty well. that spider's ability with the 5m (or w/e) en range too. it's such a weird ability i dunno how it interacts with people doing their own thing, really. i'm just so confused about it, damnit togashi!

Right so.

When he uses future sight he perceives how he would have reacted to things without any alterations. This means the entire chapter we saw before this was his honest reaction. Keep in mind the setting, he's training and primed to only meditate alongside Theta's provocations and eventual assassination attempt. Had the setting or situation been different and I would argue he would see himself reacting in other ways. . When he opens his eyes or otherwise chooses to start interacting with the world after the first 10 seconds he perceived (which is automatic) no matter what people will perceive Tserriednich as doing what he was doing during the unaltered timeline.

For example, if he's running away from trouble and comes to a fork in the road and activates his ability. He might have originally chosen to run left but finds he gets killed in doing so. So instead he runs right, but his pursuer runs left regardless because they still see Tserriednich going the original route or because they were "fated" to run left anyways.

Given the current information, Tserriednich is "invisible" to people because they can only see what they would have originally seen. We don't know if En, Gyo, or other abilities will circumvent this but given how Meloreon worked, it's possible that Tserriednich will be completely undetectable until the timelines merge together. I think the translation has him referring to being in his own world for this time.

There still is the question of whether or not he can interact with others before his ability is fully deactivated. As well as to what extent people are forced to adhere to the prophecies if they don't depend on his presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lpzie posted:

def. worse. but i got that stuff kinda figured out. i'm more interested in the perspective of the other person. when do they die if tse kills them at 4 seconds? at 4 or at 10? man, iuno. i just get the feeling the guy he's training with is going to die during the sparring cause tse would want to answer that very question.

I'd assume 10. It takes that long for the timelines to "sync". So let's say a person attacks Tse, Tse activates King Crimson, sees the attack killing him, and chooses to dodge and shoot a mofo in the head second 4. The attacker would go thru his motions, think "hey, I hit him!" and then after six seconds, they'd realize they got shot and die.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

loving weird as poo poo...

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Welcome to Diavaolo vs Bruno. Everyone's first time is a trip.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

There and certainly some intriguing unanswered questions, yeah. And I also would be amused if, somehow, Nobunaga has his moment against Tse. Although I don't know if I'm able to see the through line that gets those two together for a climactic showdown.

As for making the explanation worse, how about you imagine the two iterations of Tse like different buckets of slurry slowly being mixed together, and then...

Remember, some of the Spiders, including Nobunaga, are *currently signing up as mercenaries against the mafia family ruled by Tse*, if I remember the allegiances correctly. Either against that family, or working for them. Either way, a pretty straight line to their running into him in one fashion or another, particularly given their goal of working their way up the ship and the story's goal of eventually getting them to clash with pika.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Remember, some of the Spiders, including Nobunaga, are *currently signing up as mercenaries against the mafia family ruled by Tse*, if I remember the allegiances correctly. Either against that family, or working for them. Either way, a pretty straight line to their running into him in one fashion or another, particularly given their goal of working their way up the ship and the story's goal of eventually getting them to clash with pika.

Actually yeah, you're right. I guess I'm still trying to suss out the grand list of threats and players and who will get proper fights with who and who will get strangled in their bed. For all the facetime Tse is getting I don't know if he's going to be a endgame threat, a stifled could-have-been, or some other third thing I haven't considered because I have an exceptionally poor track record of prediction with this manga.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

The one thing I'm not certain of is what happens to the foreseen/fake Tse when he interrupts his foresight but starts it up again before 10 seconds pass and he has to start it all off again. Does the foreseen Tse still just keep doing what they were originally going to do or does it jump to what the real Tse did while he opened his eyes for that moment?

Kurapika's going to use the stolen ability only to see himself die of old age from misusing ET so much.

He can't go into zetsu with ET I thought?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
chrollo won't bother stealing from the princes once he realizes that only one of them can survive. it's a waste of time and effort, plus cammy and tse's hatsus are the best ones and they require going into zetsu. to bring out the book, chrollo can't be in zetsu so he would not be able to use them at all.

as for steal chain, kurapika probably wouldn't be able to use it himself, but he could still grant one of these weird rear end zetsu anomalies that probably shouldn't work at all to someone else.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
King Crimsom is a pretty powerful ability but the requirement of being in Zetsu and its nature means that it's quite useless against indiscriminate destruction abilities like Feitan's. It's the same weakness that made Araki get rid of Fugo in Jojo.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Actually yeah, you're right. I guess I'm still trying to suss out the grand list of threats and players and who will get proper fights with who and who will get strangled in their bed. For all the facetime Tse is getting I don't know if he's going to be a endgame threat, a stifled could-have-been, or some other third thing I haven't considered because I have an exceptionally poor track record of prediction with this manga.

It's a real longshot, I've just always had a soft spot for Nobunaga, for some inexplicable reason, and the amount of mockery he's had to endure for his prized 4m en, so I'm probably not exactly being rational or likely in my hoping that he suddenly has a big moment that pays back all that fandom scorn with Tse (or otherwise, though I'm holding out hope for it in some form or another rather than...not).

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I still want to know what Nobunaga's Hatsu is. I know it's probably something simple as poo poo because he's an enhancer but dang it I want the explicit details. He's the only Spider we don't know about.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
enhancers can enhance weapons, though we've never explicitly seen that. nobu making his sword strong as heck would be a very effective hatsu, albeit a plain one. despite uvogin giving it a name, his hatsu was really just punching very hard with a bunch of aura on his fist. enhancers don't necessarily need a complex ability with limitations.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
im really really stupid and didnt read the chapter but still read the thread, imma just hold off until the viz release since i might as well at this point

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
ok im a dork and read it, I know i started the prince Tse fanclub forever ago but gently caress me he's easily my favourite sociopath now, sorry hisoka and chrollo!

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

enhancers can enhance weapons, though we've never explicitly seen that. nobu making his sword strong as heck would be a very effective hatsu, albeit a plain one. despite uvogin giving it a name, his hatsu was really just punching very hard with a bunch of aura on his fist. enhancers don't necessarily need a complex ability with limitations.

Yeah but Netero is also an enhancer. There's a lot of room to be neat as gently caress for a cool condition for any Hatsu.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Silent Majority is still the biggest thing I want answered. I can't figure out who it could be since for the moment, Shimano has been cleared and she would have been the ideal suspect. As she had the best matches for all the criteria.
  • Most likely to have known Loberry by name prior to everyone doing the group introduction
  • assuming the victims of Woble's guards on the first day were also killed by Silent Majority. Would have been present to kill them.
  • In good viewing range of the room to be able to see everything that transpired during the training sessions.
But unless she could dupe Kurapika it leaves us nowhere. And with him doing his 1-on-1 sessions with everyone during the divination tests coming up I feel like it's about time we got some more info if not the identity of the assasin/silent majority user. (because it's possible these two persons are also different people)

Going over the chapters and compiling some information I've got the following facts:
  • Discounting the original Remaining guards for Wobles (Kurapika, Bill, Shimano), there are 20 people in attendance or stationed in Woble's room
  • Of those 20 people.
    - 3 are guards sent by Zhang. (Slakka, Sakata, Hashito)
    - 1 is a guard sent by Benjamin to monitor the queen (Bambiya)
    - The remaining 16 are students
  • Hashito is the only person not directly affiliated with the prince they guard. He's an agent of Duazul, the neutral queen. Currently on loan to Oito.
  • Three students are also captains of their respective guards
    > Mushaho (Swinko-Swinko's captain)
    > Satobi (Duazul's Captain of the guard)
    > Maor - (Tubeppa's Captain of the Guard)
  • Two people have been killed by Silent Majority during the lessons. Barrigan on the 2nd day of the trip, and Miyuhan on the 3rd day of the trip.
    There have been no more deaths since as avoiding the snakes is as easy now that the killing method is known
  • Mushaho is no longer in attendence probably because Sale-Sale has been eliminated and the guards would be moved to
Then we have the identity of the 4 hidden nen users in the room. Loberry who was arrested, Shedule and Yuihirai from Halkenburg's guard under the influence of the feather marks. The last has remained hidden and can make their aura look as though they are still a non-nen user as noted by Furykov.

I had two theories originally until they were both crossed off. Either it was Loberry, or the user was remotely controlling the snakes and sending them through the vents. Targeting the lowest ranked prince thinking they would be the easiest victim given the consequence of a failed attempt. However after Miyuhan is killed in the bathroom, Sakata states that the snakes would be too big to fit in the vents. Maybe they got engorged on blood and would have been too big? Barrigan's death doesn't confirm this.

I don't know anymore. :eng99:. The newest idea I've got is that it was Mushaho since his queen also employed the guy who killed Momoze. Maybe hinting to her plans to help her son win and controlling a small contingent of nen users. But that guy was trying to get scouted by a prince/queen of higher standing so it's unlikely Mushaho is also a user.

But whoever this stand user is, they clearly targeted Wobles first, and the guys who died arguably died because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time and not nen users. Under the Shimano theory, they would have been killed for being plants from the other queens. Given what we know of Silent majority, Woody and the others were most likely just the easiest targets available. Whenever we find out, there had better be some hidden variables otherwise I'm going to feel silly spending the last stretch of time trying to brute force this.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

trucutru posted:

King Crimsom is a pretty powerful ability but the requirement of being in Zetsu and its nature means that it's quite useless against indiscriminate destruction abilities like Feitan's. It's the same weakness that made Araki get rid of Fugo in Jojo.

I keep seeing people say this and I have to speak up. It was only someone's speculation years ago that the reason Fugo was removed was because his Stand was too powerful. The real reason is that Araki was going to have Fugo be a spy and then betray the group, but Araki couldn't go through with it and just wrote him out.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

I keep seeing people say this and I have to speak up. It was only someone's speculation years ago that the reason Fugo was removed was because his Stand was too powerful. The real reason is that Araki was going to have Fugo be a spy and then betray the group, but Araki couldn't go through with it and just wrote him out.

especially in a manga like jojo's, i found it REALLY hard to believe loving araki of all people would struggle to use fugos stand

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

drjuggalo posted:

especially in a manga like jojo's, i found it REALLY hard to believe loving araki of all people would struggle to use fugos stand
He put himself in a lot of plot binds near the end of Part 5 to be fair.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He puts himself in a lot of plot problems in generally as Jojo is kind of a mess. Which is part of its charm I think.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
I really really like both tse rriednicht’s character and his power. What a good villain

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
How long is the journey to the fake Dark Continent supposed to take, in-universe? We're like a week in. Obviously it'll take years and years for us.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mimir posted:

How long is the journey to the fake Dark Continent supposed to take, in-universe? We're like a week in. Obviously it'll take years and years for us.

8 weeks.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

drjuggalo posted:

Eh, it's a very boring stand. Either as an ally or traitor (specially as a traitor) it would be hard to make a fun fight with it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

8 weeks to DC? or to the 'fake DC', the island where most people are going to disembark?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Turin Turambar posted:

8 weeks to DC? or to the 'fake DC', the island where most people are going to disembark?

The Fake one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mangastream

7sama

Viz

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

King Crimson is the poo poo and so is Prince Tselinoyarsk

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, part of what made me turn my opinion around on Tse-Tse was remembering the bits from that one Super Eyepatch Wolf video on villains and how well we learn of him.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The thing that made me feel like he was becoming an actual character is how he felt surprised and upset that Theta turned on him which meant that he actually thought of her as a person which you really wouldn't have gotten the impression otherwise

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Oh, I still want Prince Thirdreich to get brutally murdered, but I'm enjoying him being a character instead of just a threat, that's for sure.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Makes me wonder how the remaining princes are going to be characterized or if some of them will also go the way of Sale-Sale and just be a one-note character. Luzurus and Tubeppa have been name-dropped/featured in the last few chapters and I kind of expect the perspective to eventually shift to their camps. Zhang hasn't made any real appearance since the meeting with him. And Tyson hasn't done anything nor showed any initiative with this spirit bomb Guardian Spirit just kind of doing it's own thing in the background. Then there's Maryam and Biscuit being cute together.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Eej posted:

The thing that made me feel like he was becoming an actual character is how he felt surprised and upset that Theta turned on him which meant that he actually thought of her as a person which you really wouldn't have gotten the impression otherwise

So, not to defend the horrible sociopath murderer, but the reason he murdered and bathed in the blood of those two girls the first time we saw him was because he found them stupid, boring, and utterly plastic women just looking for money.

Theta, on the other hand, is an ultra talented practitioner of loving magic who has taught him magic. He seems to care about people entirely based on their capability and uniqueness. Which is probably why he gets along with Halk, oddly enough, since Halk is smart and the most ambitious prince (in his own way). While I doubt he can overlook Theta wanting to murder him, he definitely held her in high regard prior and that might actually be more important to him than whether or not she wants to kill him.

Togashi has done this with Ben and Camilla, too. He debuted the character in a certain way but then developed them in such a way that is relatively consistent with what we've seen but is more interesting and dynamic than the basic tropes most people figured they'd be.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 6, 2018

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Perhaps I'm misremembering, or maybe the original translation was bad, but my impression was that he didn't kill the women BECAUSE he found them vapid, but rather that he was annoyed that their vapidity made it unsatisfying to kill them. Slaughtering "livestock" isn't any fun for him, and he'd much rather bathe in the blood of an interesting and witty person.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Tse will definitely try and kill Theta, but he definitely wants to make a game out of it and give her an opportunity to try and kill him as he figures out his ability.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Clarste posted:

Perhaps I'm misremembering, or maybe the original translation was bad, but my impression was that he didn't kill the women BECAUSE he found them vapid, but rather that he was annoyed that their vapidity made it unsatisfying to kill them. Slaughtering "livestock" isn't any fun for him, and he'd much rather bathe in the blood of an interesting and witty person.
You're right. He was going to kill them regardless, he just wants more promising victims rather than party girls.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if Melody will ever get her Sonata of Darkness curse fixed.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I wonder if Melody will ever get her Sonata of Darkness curse fixed.

I don't think she's trying to get it fixed, just destroy the sheet music so no one else will be cursed by it.

But I do agree that the Dark Sonata is one of three loose ends that won't be resolved through the Dark Continent storyline, the others being Gyro (who we know will encounter Gon some day) and the Zoldyck family (they won't have many members left if Hisoka kills Illumi and Kalluto, but they'll still be around and still theoretically be wanted criminals).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 6, 2018

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

So, not to defend the horrible sociopath murderer, but the reason he murdered and bathed in the blood of those two girls the first time we saw him was because he found them stupid, boring, and utterly plastic women just look for money.

Theta, on the other hand, is an ultra talented practitioner of loving magic who has taught him magic. He seems to care about people entirely based on their capability and uniqueness. Which is probably why he gets along with Halk, oddly enough, since Halk is smart and the most ambitious prince (in his own way). While I doubt he can overlook Theta wanting to murder him, he definitely held her in high regard prior and that might actually be more important to him than whether or not she wants to kill him.

Togashi has done this with Ben and Camilla, too. He debuted the character in a certain way but then developed them in such a way that is relatively consistent with what we've seen but is more interesting and dynamic than the basic tropes most people figured they'd be.

This is pretty correct. He is a disgusting guy but killing girls is probably his hobby more than anything else.
What he’s really about is gathering pawns and servants/useful people that will benefit him. The spirit beast exemplifies his spirit really. Mean, gross and harmful to women, but more controlling than murderous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he was always going to murder theta when she was no longer necessary, but he's still shocked that she would want to kill him.